5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A couple problems with HID kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 07:12 AM

A couple problems with HID kit

Well I installed my lights yesterday, and I discovered a few things...

1. The high beams don't work. When I pull the level forward for the highbeams the lights just go off. I checked all the connections, and they were right and tight. I'll re-check them tomorrow morning to be sure.

2. When I first turn the car on, the headlights are dim. They take about 10 seconds to reach their full brightness. Is that normal?

3. My dome light now flickers when I have my door open.

4. The connection that connects from the HID harness to the headlight socket did not click in tightly like a normal headlight connection. I had to electrical tape it to hold it together tight.

5. My 6000k kit seems to have a purple tint to it instead of a slight blue tint from the drivers seat. I heard they take time to adjust, but from the stuff I've read when that happens they adjust from pure white to having a little color, not from color to white.

6. They seem kinda blinding. I thought these came with some sort of glare sheild. I guess I'll have to look into buying one of those...

any clue why all of this is going on??
Old 07-21-2007, 07:49 AM

1. this is normal HID only work for one thing they can't be both high and low
2. this is normal they are warming up
3. might be a bad bulb going out just bad timing
4. i noticed that on one of mine as well idk works fine for now
5. depending from the angle you look from yes the shades will be different i have 6k in my truck and they seem blueish at times when i look from the side
6. thats the point of HID... they are bright but your lights are pointed down so you shouldnt have any issues with ppl high beaming you
Old 07-21-2007, 08:22 AM

well the main thing i'm concerned about is the high beams... this is a bi-xenon kit that comes with 4 ballasts that are supposed to have high breams with them... the kit without high beams was about $120 cheaper because it only had 2 ballasts, but since I paid extra for high beams I would like to have them.. lol

I just disconnected and re-connected everything... I switched ballasts to see if 2 of them didn't work, and that didn't do it... once again low beams, but no high beams... any ideas???
Old 07-21-2007, 09:00 AM

yeah i never delt with the bi-xenon but i know i lost high beams on my truck but i dont care because i have off road lights for that
sorry hope the other pionts helped
good luck
Old 07-21-2007, 09:09 AM

It's cool. I talked to Hahn on the phone. We tried switching around a bunch of wires, which led us to the conclusion that it was probably a bad 5-prong relay. So he's gonna send another one out to me on monday. So hopfully that helps
Old 07-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What type of kit did you get again? Was it from the GD?

Since you got the Bixenon kit....the highs and lows should both work so you might want to contact the seller about that.

As for taking 10 secs to get to the right color...thats normal.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Cletus

how many threads do you need for the same topic
Old 07-21-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Maximized2000
What type of kit did you get again? Was it from the GD?

Since you got the Bixenon kit....the highs and lows should both work so you might want to contact the seller about that.

As for taking 10 secs to get to the right color...thats normal.
it was a 6000k bi-xenon kit from the GD.. yeah i talked to the seller and he talked me through a testing process, after which we figured out it might be the one of the harnesses, so he's gonna send me a new one... but the lights don't take 10 seconds to get the right color.. they take 10 seconds to get the right brightness, and i'm glad that's normal... but the color stays purpleish throughout the whole drive... maybe they'll get more white as time goes on??
Old 07-21-2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
it was a 6000k bi-xenon kit.. yeah i talked to the seller and he talked me through a testing process, after which we figured out it might be the one of the harnesses, so he's gonna send me a new one... but the lights don't take 10 seconds to get the right color.. they take 10 seconds to get the right brightness, and i'm glad that's normal... but the color stays purpleish throughout the whole drive... maybe they'll get more white as time goes on??

I meant what company? Anyways...you should have bought some from one of our sponsors.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Maximized2000
I meant what company? Anyways...you should have bought some from one of our sponsors.
my bad.. they're from one of our sponsors, operatic in the group deals section.. the company is 3bspec.com
Old 07-21-2007, 06:21 PM
retired moderator

HID in oem headlights housings = suck.

Purple =

/thread.

(I typically wouldn't flame on a problem question, but there is nothing I hate more than cars with HIDs in their stock halogen housings. They're all over the place in this area and f***ing blind me whenever I'm going toward them.)
Old 07-22-2007, 09:17 AM

yeah, and i read stuff about the glare problem, but i thought the issues would be corrected by having them aimed properly and with the glare sheilds that were supposed to already be on the bulbs, but maybe not.. somebody mentioned something about purchasing glare shields... is there a good quality place to get them from?
Old 07-22-2007, 04:36 PM

Ok, I was gonna post some pics of how the HID's look and where I mounted the ballasts, but it says I may not post attatchments at the bottom of the page... anybody know why, or how I can get these pics up here?
Old 07-22-2007, 05:10 PM

Ok, I was gonna post some pics of how the HID's look and where I mounted the ballasts, but it says I may not post attatchments at the bottom of the page... anybody know why, or how I can get these pics up here?

You need to host the pics on cardomain or any other sites like Photobucket. Then all you need is the URL for the individual pics and you will need to do this:

[img] URL Link [/img]
Old 07-22-2007, 05:12 PM

when I do that it just posts a link to the pics... how do people put the actual pictures in the thread?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Cletus

when I do that it just posts a link to the pics... how do people put the actual pictures in the thread?
dear god man

[img]link to where pic is hosted[/img]
Old 07-22-2007, 06:29 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by soonerfan
dear god man

[img]link to where pic is hosted[/img]
what do you mean he has to host the picture?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:38 PM

means he need a server keep his picture on file, he can't link them from his desktop, he needs to upload it to either cardomain or some other site.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by pyroz
means he need a server keep his picture on file, he can't link them from his desktop, he needs to upload it to either cardomain or some other site.
he knows that.
it is a joke regarding the OP's (in)ability to figure things out himself
Old 07-22-2007, 08:16 PM

that's what happens when i type in that code... i want to post the actual picture... not a link... but it's cool, don't worry about it.. and sooner, you have had nothing but negative things to say to myself and others lately.. not everybody knows every detail about maxima.org or maximas in general like you.. so if you can't offer help without being an *** about it then please refrain from posting in my threads
Old 07-22-2007, 08:22 PM
retired moderator

that's what happens when i type in that code... i want to post the actual picture... not a link... sooner, you have had nothing but negative things to say lately, so if you can't offer help without being an *** about it then please refrain from posting in my threads

you need to get the link for the picture by right-clicking and going to "properties"....
Old 07-22-2007, 08:28 PM
retired moderator

go to the picture.
put your mouse pointer over it
right click
scroll down to the bottom where it says "properties" - click on properties.
see where it says "address" - now highlight that entire line and copy it.

paste it here between [img] [/img]

now you try!!
Old 07-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Cletus

using myspace to host pics...FTL
Old 07-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Cletus

now i know why you cant figure out your HIDs...you cant figure out how to post a pic
retired moderator

using myspace to host pics...FTL
true....photobucket is much better.

Originally Posted by irish44j

you need to get the link for the picture by right-clicking and going to "properties"....
thank you irish
Old 07-22-2007, 08:31 PM

i dont have a photobucket.. but i have a myspace, so i figured i'd do that instead of creating a photobucket account
Old 07-22-2007, 08:32 PM
retired moderator

whatever floats your boat
Old 07-22-2007, 08:41 PM
大陆弟弟

Why do you have 4 ballasts total? You were suppose to get a bi-xenon hi/lo H4 bulb with one ballast each. What ghetto kit did you get?
Old 07-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Banned

i have an HID kits for sale brand new if anyone interested
Old 07-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Nightmare = Reality

haha. . I figured out your Problem. those Ballasts are labeled "Bada Bling!" FTL
Old 07-23-2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Maxim(a)SerjVQ
haha. . I figured out your Problem. those Ballasts are labeled "Bada Bling!" FTL
lol.. yeah i didnt really get a good feeling when i saw that...
Old 07-23-2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by n3985
Why do you have 4 ballasts total? You were suppose to get a bi-xenon hi/lo H4 bulb with one ballast each. What ghetto kit did you get?
i got a bi-xenon kit from operatic on the GD's... in the first post of that forum, they have a link to a company called 3bspec... www.3bspec.com... so im guessing that's where operatic gets his stuff from.. i thought that was how it was supposed to be... one ballast for high beams, and one ballast for low beams for each bulb.. thats not how it is with other kits?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:25 AM

ok... here's where I have my ballasts mounted... you saw the drivers side already:

those are secured with bolts, but i had to bend the brackets on each ballast to get them to bolt down to these places correctly

heres the passenger side ballasts:

as you can see, these are secured with just zip ties because i couldnt find a place to bolt them down securely on this side.. it seems kinda ghetto, but they feel secure enough

I have one other concern though... with the new bulbs that were put in, i obviously had to take out that rubber piece that goes in back of the stock bulbs that prevented water from getting in there, and couldn't put it back in with the way these bulbs are designed... is that a potential problem?:
Old 07-25-2007, 04:59 PM

Aftermarkert HID headlight aiming

Hey guys, I just recently installed a 6000k bi-xenon kit in my 2001 maxima, and they seem bright to the point where they might be blinding people. I know people say it's bad to put HID's in stock housings, but these headlights are supposed to have some sort of glare reflectors on them... and I just wanna make sure they're aimed correctly to reduce glare as much as possible, so I wanna aim them. The aiming writeup in the howto's isn't really any help, and I get no help in the searches. Every general aiming writeup I see has 2 seperate screws for up/down and left/right adjustment, but in the haynes manual it only mentions 1 adjustment screw... is that correct? How am I supposed to adjust up/down and left/right with only one screw?
Old 07-25-2007, 06:25 PM
is invisible

how many threads do you need for the same topic
At least 3 more, including: how do I aim them, why does the output suck, why did they blow out.........
Old 07-25-2007, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
HID in oem headlights housings = suck.

Purple =

/thread.

(I typically wouldn't flame on a problem question, but there is nothing I hate more than cars with HIDs in their stock halogen housings. They're all over the place in this area and f***ing blind me whenever I'm going toward them.)
that's why i'm trying to get help on how to aim them correctly.. these supposedly have glare shields, but in the event that they aren't doing their job, i would like to aim them so i can do as little damage as possible
Old 07-25-2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
At least 3 more, including: how do I aim them, why does the output suck, why did they blow out.........
i post another thread the same topic, buit different issue because the one i posted before gets pushed down to the point where people stop paying attention to it, and i need prompt help for an issue that wasn't discussed in the first thread
Old 07-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Cletus

i post another thread the same topic, buit different issue because the one i posted before gets pushed down to the point where people stop paying attention to it, and i need prompt help for an issue that wasn't discussed in the first thread
so you post the new question in the existing thread and...magic...the thread is at the top.

there is no question so important that it has to be answered right away. you might WANT and answer but you dont NEED the answer
Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 PM
is invisible

so you post the new question in the existing thread and...magic...the thread is at the top.

there is no question so important that it has to be answered right away. you might WANT and answer but you dont NEED the answer
sooner, you have had nothing but negative things to say to myself and others lately.. not everybody knows every detail about maxima.org or maximas in general like you.. so if you can't offer help without being an *** about it then please refrain from posting in my threads.

Quick Reply: A couple problems with HID kit