5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Any $resonable$ but effective mods for HP??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 03:45 PM

What kinds of mods are out there for horsepower that are reasonably priced? I have owned a 2000' max se, and now a 2001' AE but never really considered any mods until now.

Both cars are automatics, but the AE seems to have a little less oomph down low but a serious punch at about 4200rpm. Anyone else notice this? Also, the ride in the AE is very bumpy compared to the 2000'se. It can't all be in the difference between 17' and 16' wheels can it.

One other odity, my 2000 started to make a really horrible noise from under the dash on the passenger side. It seemed to happen alot when stepping on the brake pedal with the AC on. I know it's not related to the brakes! I was thinking it was maybe a vaccum accumulator that stores vaccum pressure to operate the climate contorls ie. opening and closing all of the vents.

One more thing, THE ROTORS ON THESE CARS ARE CRAP! I had a 94 300ZX with 90K miles on it. I only had to change the front pads on this car at 68K, and that was it after 4= years! My buddy bought a pearl 2000 se, and after about 11K his rotors were warped just like mine were. I just lived with it figuring that it would be a waste of time trying to haggle with the dealer to fix it. My friend on the other hand wasted about 4 hours one day only to have them tell him that he needed new brake pads and rotors!
Old 07-19-2001, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by 73tiiguy
What kinds of mods are out there for horsepower that are reasonably priced? I have owned a 2000' max se, and now a 2001' AE but never really considered any mods until now.

Both cars are automatics, but the AE seems to have a little less oomph down low but a serious punch at about 4200rpm. Anyone else notice this? Also, the ride in the AE is very bumpy compared to the 2000'se. It can't all be in the difference between 17' and 16' wheels can it.

One other odity, my 2000 started to make a really horrible noise from under the dash on the passenger side. It seemed to happen alot when stepping on the brake pedal with the AC on. I know it's not related to the brakes! I was thinking it was maybe a vaccum accumulator that stores vaccum pressure to operate the climate contorls ie. opening and closing all of the vents.

One more thing, THE ROTORS ON THESE CARS ARE CRAP! I had a 94 300ZX with 90K miles on it. I only had to change the front pads on this car at 68K, and that was it after 4= years! My buddy bought a pearl 2000 se, and after about 11K his rotors were warped just like mine were. I just lived with it figuring that it would be a waste of time trying to haggle with the dealer to fix it. My friend on the other hand wasted about 4 hours one day only to have them tell him that he needed new brake pads and rotors!
There is a TSB about the rotors there is a mechanical proplem with the calipers. Just go to the dealer they will fix it.
Good Luck,
Fast Walker
ps k&n air filter adds 4hp for 50.00
Old 07-19-2001, 04:25 PM
PhatGuy

K&N will add 1hp to the wheels and 1 ft/lb torque from the dynos I've seen.

Old 07-19-2001, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
K&N will add 1hp to the wheels and 1 ft/lb torque from the dynos I've seen.
Alright! Thats 1 HP for $50! J/k. Anyway, I think I heard that an OSCAI and y-pipe combo were 12-17HP. If I remember correctly. Those will be my first mods when I stop breaking my car in. If you don't have a huge system, a UDP for another 5-6 HP. OSCAI costs about $10, ypipe is around $200 I believe. I don't the cost of a UDP. Nitrous can be had for a couple hundred and/or a supercharger for a couple grand...
Old 07-19-2001, 05:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the most $$$ saving mod on hp is NOS, AKA poor man's turbo.....that is only one that I can think of...

intake and exhaust increaes engine response
Old 07-20-2001, 01:07 AM

Thanks, but no thanks dude I like the way the engine is now (not in a hundred pieces with a piston sitting in my lap caused by the nos-inginted engine melt down). I'll probably look into a y Pipe and udp.

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
the most $$$ saving mod on hp is NOS, AKA poor man's turbo.....that is only one that I can think of...

intake and exhaust increaes engine response
Old 07-20-2001, 01:10 AM

thanks, I'll go when the rotors on the 2001AE warp from the "abusive" driving I do parking the car at the mall.

Originally posted by Fast Walker

There is a TSB about the rotors there is a mechanical proplem with the calipers. Just go to the dealer they will fix it.
Good Luck,
Fast Walker
ps k&n air filter adds 4hp for 50.00
Old 07-20-2001, 01:20 AM

Ironlord, thanks for the tips. BTW, never use a K&N filter. there is a reason it's less retrictive, they (k&n) filters don't filter out anything smaller than say, a grain of sand at best. Even if you do wash and apply that red oil to it. I had one in my 73 2002 and had to change the oil every 2k miles at the least. That meager one horspower aint worth the life of your engine.

I think a good mod would be to re-route or fabricate a new snorkel (that thin little one attached to the top of the radiator bulkhead). Move it straight down through the splash gaurd. Or maybe get rid of that battery thats in the way.

Originally posted by Ironlord

Alright! Thats 1 HP for $50! J/k. Anyway, I think I heard that an OSCAI and y-pipe combo were 12-17HP. If I remember correctly. Those will be my first mods when I stop breaking my car in. If you don't have a huge system, a UDP for another 5-6 HP. OSCAI costs about $10, ypipe is around $200 I believe. I don't the cost of a UDP. Nitrous can be had for a couple hundred and/or a supercharger for a couple grand...
Old 07-20-2001, 04:36 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by 73tiiguy

I think a good mod would be to re-route or fabricate a new snorkel (that thin little one attached to the top of the radiator bulkhead). Move it straight down through the splash gaurd. Or maybe get rid of that battery thats in the way.

that would be the OSCAI
Old 07-20-2001, 11:25 AM
nc00max

hmmm, you sure about those prices? OSCAI, yeah, but I paid $400 for my Cattman y-pipe through the group deal, and that's including gaskets, plus $235 for the UR UDP. Ordered it before the group deal on that one, but oh well. I think the Stillen Y is more too. More $ for less quality from what I hear too. Cheapest S/C I've seen is ~$3800 from Avalon, and I'd be careful about buying a $200 nitrous kit...

73tiiguy-start with the OSCAI since it's the cheapest and even a mechanical retard such as myself was able to put in on in about 10-15 minutes. Cost me $12.48 from Home Depot, and I can honestly say I felt a difference.

Old 07-20-2001, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by nc00max

hmmm, you sure about those prices? OSCAI, yeah, but I paid $400 for my Cattman y-pipe through the group deal, and that's including gaskets, plus $235 for the UR UDP. Ordered it before the group deal on that one, but oh well. I think the Stillen Y is more too. More $ for less quality from what I hear too. Cheapest S/C I've seen is ~$3800 from Avalon, and I'd be careful about buying a $200 nitrous kit...

73tiiguy-start with the OSCAI since it's the cheapest and even a mechanical retard such as myself was able to put in on in about 10-15 minutes. Cost me $12.48 from Home Depot, and I can honestly say I felt a difference.
I thought the ypipe was around 200, could be wrong. and as for my couple of hundred and couple grand i didn't literally mean 200 and 2000 justa cuple or three, sorry, bad wording on my part.
Old 07-20-2001, 12:23 PM
Got Bent?

Cattman Y ~ $430 shipped

Stillen Y ~ $370 shipped

Cattman Y is stainless steel and will last longer in harsh environments where it rains/snows.
Old 07-20-2001, 01:56 PM

hey nc00max

who or what is OSCAI exactly? I'm guessing its an aftermarket parts supplier.. please do let me know.

I thought the ypipe was around 200, could be wrong. and as for my couple of hundred and couple grand i didn't literally mean 200 and 2000 justa cuple or three, sorry, bad wording on my part.
Old 07-20-2001, 02:31 PM

OSCAI = Ooglie (ugly) Stock cold air intake

It's basically a home made cold air intake instead of one by Place Racing. Check in the how to's. They have discriptions in there

sorry nc00max... didn't mean to steal your response.. just have to not be a "newbie." I've been one for a year... heh we should change the system just for me so that someone can read everyday, but not have to post and become someone who "lives in a maxima". hehe j.k.