5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tranasgo shift kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tranasgo shift kits

Sorry if I post in the wrong section.

Has anyone use this product on there automatic tranny? I need your opinion.
http://www.transgo.com/
Old 08-03-2007, 05:06 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

I worked for a transmission company which installed the Trans-Go kits and they are a reputable company with a good product. I worked with a guy who could light up his A4LD Aerostar Minivan in 2nd and 3rd with one of these kits...weird.

I have never had an automatic so I cannot tell you from personal experience but it is a good company and they make a great product.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:26 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

I installed one of their kits in my 97 years ago. Let me start out by saying that if you do not have a lot of mechanical experience, do NOT attempt to install it on your own.

To install, you must completely disassemble your valve body. The valve body consist of 3 layers, each one has bolts of different lengths, on each level. So you may have 2 different lengths in random spots on the first level, 3 different lengths in random spots on the second level, and so on.

Once you have the valve body disassembled, you have to drill in some pretty exact spots. The 3 levels of the valve body have two thin plates in between them. While the valve body levels channel the fluid, these plates control the flow of oil between levels. There are a couple holes you have to enlarge, and one you have to drill in a level of the valve body. This is all fine and good, except the instructions come in black and white, and are not very thorough. I think they are made for someone with lots of experience working on automatic transmissions, and not for the average home mechanic.

Once you have the holes drilled, you replace a couple of check ***** and install some new springs, then reassemble the whole thing.

I did notice slightly faster shifting when I was done. I could occasionally chirp the tires going into second, but not very often. My main reason for installing was that I was also putting in a nitrous kit, and I wanted to extend the life of my transmission. Well, the transmission still died, about two years later. The car was still under warranty, and they didn't say a thing about the valve body, just gave me a new transmission, I changed over to a 5spd shortly after that.

It is a good mod for the money, granted that you know what you are doing. I do not know what a transmission shop would charge to install it. I used a bunch of sheets of cardboard, made outlines of the VB, and drew out where each bolt went, then marked and bagged everything as I took it apart. However, I had been working on helicopters for 5 years at the time, so I was pretty confident in my mechanical skills.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by mtrai760
However, I had been working on helicopters for 5 years at the time, so I was pretty confident in my mechanical skills.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Yeah, I'd say that about separates you from the average "home-mechanic" lol. That definately sound like something even I wouldn't mess with, and I'm pretty handy when it comes to mechanics. I'm confident that I can figure out pretty much how to modify/install/repair things on my car, but to be honest, **** that mod! Though I dont have an A/T
Old 08-04-2007, 06:16 PM

My boy just had his tranny rebuilt in his 04 Alty and had them put in a trango shift kit at the same time and he's chirping 2nd. Shifts hard and fast like it should with no comfort