5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

FSTB doesnt fit, someone help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 11:31 AM

i bought from lightspeed auto on ebay. the brackets look like the old courtesy brackets, and the bar looks like the new courtesy bar. i have a problem with the left bracket, because the bracket that holds the stock air box gets in the way and its impossible to install. i took some pics and ill have them up on here soon.
i recall people saying they had to modify the old courtesy bar to fit their car, what modifications were needed?
Old 07-20-2001, 12:09 PM
Got Bent?

A small part of the metal bracket that is in the way must be cut off.....
Old 07-20-2001, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by SkyMax Jr.
i bought from lightspeed auto on ebay. the brackets look like the old courtesy brackets, and the bar looks like the new courtesy bar. i have a problem with the left bracket, because the bracket that holds the stock air box gets in the way and its impossible to install. i took some pics and ill have them up on here soon.
i recall people saying they had to modify the old courtesy bar to fit their car, what modifications were needed?

hey sky max can u take a pic of ur center console during the day with the neon wirez going around it? i wanna see what it looks like during the day when it is off and on... if u could do that that would be awesome... also how much did u pay and which length did u buy? thanks

-danny
Old 07-20-2001, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by psing23

hey sky max can u take a pic of ur center console during the day with the neon wirez going around it? i wanna see what it looks like during the day when it is off and on... if u could do that that would be awesome... also how much did u pay and which length did u buy? thanks

-danny
sure, ill take a pic whenever my bro gets back with the camera. i bought 5 ft for a little less than $30.
and during the day when its on, u cant tell at all.

and thanks UMD for answering my question
Old 07-20-2001, 02:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

SkyMax: Are the brackets on your bar black or red?

Mine are the black.

After seeing some other threads I think I am going to go ahead and make the needed modification for it fit correctly.
Old 07-20-2001, 05:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bought it from the same guy!!

I just bought the same freagin' strut bar. He says they are for a 2000+ but for real they are for the 99. I installed it anyways by removed the metal bracket, but the damn bar put alot of pressure on the wire loom over the engine, now I dont know if that is bad or good. I been trying to litigate with LIGHTSPEED AUTO and tell him you sold me the wrong $hit and stop selling this $hit as a 2000+ strut bar. I think I might return it. I dont want all that pressure on my Wireloom, i dont know if it is a bunch of wires in it or a pipe in there that I might end up bending.

Dixit
Old 07-20-2001, 08:51 PM

I have the same problem with my Courtesy Nissan FSTB that arrived today. Their Tech Rep said a batch of '99 FSTBs were shipped as Y2K Max units. They have braces that are painted black while their previous Y2K Max FSTB shipments have had end braces painted red. My unit read: Item Number TB99N1 -- Nakayama Strut Bar 99. Courtesy suggested the same mod as posted on this thread - OR - ship their order back and they will ship the proper unit in mid-August with refund on the return shipping. I'm returning the unit and will wait for the right part. I still have my Stillen RSB to keep me warm during the wait!
Old 07-20-2001, 10:08 PM

Why put it on though??

Originally posted by almason
Courtesy suggested the same mod as posted on this thread
See my thing is why would Courtesy suggest that when the actual bar is pushing over the engine wireloom with ALOT of pressure?? I have pics of it and will post them in about 1hr or so. I mean the bar seems to be pushing a little TOO MUCH pressure on the wireloom.

I dont know what is under it but that cant be good.

Dixit
Old 07-21-2001, 09:29 AM

Re: I bought it from the same guy!!

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

I just bought the same freagin' strut bar. He says they are for a 2000+ but for real they are for the 99. I installed it anyways by removed the metal bracket, but the damn bar put alot of pressure on the wire loom over the engine, now I dont know if that is bad or good. I been trying to litigate with LIGHTSPEED AUTO and tell him you sold me the wrong $hit and stop selling this $hit as a 2000+ strut bar. I think I might return it. I dont want all that pressure on my Wireloom, i dont know if it is a bunch of wires in it or a pipe in there that I might end up bending.
Dixit
i emailed lightspeed auto after the auction saying it doesnt fit, i emailed him a picture i took showing its impossible to install. so i asked for a refund because he never said in the auction that u had to modify the strut in any way. he agreed and hes very nice about it, he already reimbursed me the whole price i paid and im shipping it back today to him. im buying the new courtesy bar from this other guy, he may have more in stock...if anyone is interested i will ask if he has more.

here is the pic i sent him showing it doesnt fit:
Old 07-21-2001, 10:45 AM

Re: Re: I bought it from the same guy!!

i emailed lightspeed auto after the auction saying it doesnt fit, i emailed him a picture i took showing its impossible to install. so i asked for a refund because he never said in the auction that u had to modify the strut in any way. he agreed and hes very nice about it, he already reimbursed me the whole price i paid and im shipping it back today to him. im buying the new courtesy bar from this other guy, he may have more in stock...if anyone is interested i will ask if he has more.
Yes I had to do the same thing, I had to email 4 pictures prooving to hit that it was the incorrect one. I have to now send it back at my expense.

But yeah, let me know if you can get a courtesy bar and at what price?

Dixit
Old 07-21-2001, 03:44 PM

Re: Re: I bought it from the same guy!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SkyMax Jr.
[B]

I need a FSTB, how much?
Old 07-21-2001, 05:31 PM

http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/

Click on "Suspension" in the navigator bar, then click on "Strut Tower Brace", then scroll down to Technical and Installation Notes for the Strut Tower Brace, then click on "Here's another view of the installation process".