5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:53 PM

Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Bad?

Anyone have their Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor go Bad? I stepped on the gas pretty hard the other day and let off a second or two later. Right after that the car went into limp mode, the MIL light, the SLIP & TCS OFF lights came on. Made it home and codes 0228 and 1228 where reading. I reset the computer with OBD II but they keep coming back after pushing on the accelerator pedal. I checked all voltage for the two sensors and get a slightly low reading from the high sensor full throttle. I mean slightly, .2 volts low from the minimum requirements. I checked with many Nissan dealers who say I have to buy the entire accelerator pedal assembly to get the sensor. I bit the bullet and have an order through Courtesy but they tell me it is on National Backorder.

Anyone else experience this problem? I saw there was the accelerator pedal stop recall, but my VIN doesn't apply and looking at the stop it is the new style.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Willing to learn

I'm not sure, but I think you are correct since the code pretty much narrows it down to the pedal assembly.

Bad news is, they are on national back order.

Good news is, because it is apparently a hot item all over country, your chances of this curing the problem are great.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:43 AM

I got the part last night, put it on and car seems to work fine now. I couldn't complete the Idle Air Control function for some reason though. I'd get all the way through it timing it and get to the last section where the MIL light is supposed to turn off and then I release the accelerator pedal within three seconds, but the MIL just doesn't turn off like the directions say it should. I tried several times with the same results.

Still, the car runs fine now and no MIL light or codes thrown.

I talked with several dealers who said they are seeing a problem with the accelerator pedal position sensor, thus the national backorder. Get ready for this to be the next global problem with Max's.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:18 AM

You are doing fine, the CEL would not turn off on this step, because the ignition still is in "on" position. Go to the next
step (start engine) and CEL will be gone.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

FYI:

There are 2 APPS and 2 TPS. Any one of them get a 'bad' reading (+/-0.50V), you will have a situation.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:00 PM

My car did the exact same thing not too long ago. I paid to have it towed 2 hours away to the closest Infiniti dealer (because it was under waranty) only to be told that they reset the engine computer by clearing the codes stored in the car's system.

After getting my car back, it happend again and I limped it down to the local Advanced Auto Parts and had them clear the codes. Car worked fine and I drove it home without any problems. Only trick is that in order to clear the TPS (throttle position sensor) error code, you have to reach just above the gas pedal and disconnect the sensor, then clear the codes, reconnect the sensor, clear the codes again, and you should be good to go.

I looked into this problem earlier and found that there was a recall on the accellerator pedal stopper. Apparently the problem was that the accel pedal was allowed to travel too far and the engine computer wouldn't accept it. The dealer fixed this problem by installing a stopper that limited the distance the gas pedal could travel. (This "fix" also limits accelleration but its not noticable too much.)