5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about stereos

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 11:13 AM

For those of you that have replaced your stock stereos what did you do with the extra space around the head unit?

I replaced my Bose with an eclipse head and in dash 6 cd changer last year.. I put on the carbon fiber kit and that helps a little, but there's still a whole ton of space around the thing... .. .. .. ..

Does anyone know of a company who makes any kind of insert that fits in the original shape hole?

I've gotten quotes from a few stereo places that would make me something for like 1000$.. it's not worth that much to me yet...
Old 07-24-2001, 12:08 PM

There is no current kit for the head unit... YOu have to create a custom look. you could do what i did but it would take you about 30 hours.
Old 07-24-2001, 12:13 PM

Say what?? There most definitely is a kit for the 5th gen Maxima. Do you want a double DIN kit or a single DIN kit? I have a single DIN kit in my Max right now holding a Eclipse HU and there is a little pocket underneath it to hold some stuff. What exactly are you looking for....maybe a little bit better description will help us figure out what it is that you need.
Old 07-24-2001, 12:13 PM

What did you do?

Originally posted by max'n out
There is no current kit for the head unit... YOu have to create a custom look. you could do what i did but it would take you about 30 hours.
What did you do? I thought about getting a large block of wood or plastic / epoxy anything .. and cutting it to match.. then trying to find some kind of paint that would look similar to that textured plastic that's around the rest of it...
Old 07-24-2001, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Dustyroads
Say what?? There most definitely is a kit for the 5th gen Maxima. Do you want a double DIN kit or a single DIN kit? I have a single DIN kit in my Max right now holding a Eclipse HU and there is a little pocket underneath it to hold some stuff. What exactly are you looking for....maybe a little bit better description will help us figure out what it is that you need.
Actually I'd need a double din kit..

All i'd need is some plastic part to go around the head unit and take up the extra not quite square hole where the original used to be.. going from the AC vents down to the climate control.....

Where'd you get yours? (the kit I mean)
Old 07-24-2001, 01:27 PM

Ok I was unaware that there is a kit now...when I did mine there was none...not that I would use it anyway.
As far as what I did it's kinda complicated...But basically I remade the factory face as a cover to cover the headunit which is recesed behind the face with plexi/fiberglass trim Painted to match the car. Then you use the factory face as a cover.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by max'n out
Ok I was unaware that there is a kit now...when I did mine there was none...not that I would use it anyway.
As far as what I did it's kinda complicated...But basically I remade the factory face as a cover to cover the headunit which is recesed behind the face with plexi/fiberglass trim Painted to match the car. Then you use the factory face as a cover.
hmm.. interesting.. I may have a reason to fire up the dremel this weekend
Old 07-24-2001, 03:43 PM

YOu don't need a drill... Just time, patience some expertice, ABS,clue,fiberglass,paint,plexi,grill cloth,etc. and the want to never be able to use the factory head unit again...ever....at all.
Old 07-24-2001, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Dustyroads
I need a double din kit DESPERATLLEY! Where did you get it? (web site, store name, adress, e-mail adress, phone number, ANYTHING ADN EVERYTHING) How much?
Old 07-24-2001, 04:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ItalianMax2kSE

I need a double din kit DESPERATLLEY! Where did you get it? (web site, store name, adress, e-mail adress, phone number, ANYTHING ADN EVERYTHING) How much?

Scosche makes one. www.scosche.com

Your sig says "ALL Exterior Bulbs are HID Bulbs" How is that possible????

Old 07-25-2001, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by ItalianMax2kSE

try this

http://www.scosche.com/scosche/insta...its/NN1494.asp
Old 07-25-2001, 01:03 AM

Bose Question

Can i replace the Bose headunit with a quality aftermarket unit? Shops here in NYC tell me that it is possible, but they can not guarantee me good, or enhanced sound quality. I know I'll need an adapter. Has anyone upgraded or replaced the Bose headunit?

GC
Old 07-25-2001, 04:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MaineI30
[B]

Scosche makes one. www.scosche.com

Your sig says "ALL Exterior Bulbs are HID Bulbs" How is that possible????

I have Xenon HID Bulbs in my headlights, foglights, front and rear turn signals, front and rear side markers and reverse lights and licence plate lights are on their way
Old 07-25-2001, 06:30 AM

Re: Bose Question

Originally posted by Cisco
Can i replace the Bose headunit with a quality aftermarket unit? Shops here in NYC tell me that it is possible, but they can not guarantee me good, or enhanced sound quality. I know I'll need an adapter. Has anyone upgraded or replaced the Bose headunit?

GC
Yes you can!

The speakers are one of the key parts though.. and a really good amp.. I took out all of my bose equip.. I've got Boston Acoustics Pro series 3 way seperates up front and 2 way seperates in the rear.. and a pro series 12" sub... there's a big difference.. (at least to me)... but it is expensive to get sound that is better..

You could use the stock speakers and replace the amp that's attached under the rear deck.. In the 5th gen there's only one amp.. so that makes it much easier to replace...
Old 07-25-2001, 08:22 AM

Scosche

Or however you spell it.. I just ordered my dash kit.. They seemed very helpful on the phone..

YAY!! I can finally get rid of the gaping holes around my stereo
Old 07-25-2001, 10:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ItalianMax2kSE
Originally posted by MaineI30
I have Xenon HID Bulbs in my headlights, foglights, front and rear turn signals, front and rear side markers and reverse lights and licence plate lights are on their way

You don't have HID's in any of those things, except maybe your headlights if you have an HID kit.

Are you confusing "HID look" lights with genuine HID?

I don't even think it would be possible to do HID in the turn signals and side markers.
Old 07-25-2001, 07:34 PM

i guess

What it comes down to is how many people say HID when they don't actually mean HID? Or am I just being an a s s?
Old 07-27-2001, 08:04 AM

WOOHOO

My dash kit just came today... it looks sweet .. at least compared to the gaping holes I used to have