5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

rear windows dont roll all the way down

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 10:20 AM
Jimnvicki

I am not sure if this is where i should post this. I am new to this site and am not sure as to whether i can get any answers here or not. I would like to know if there is a way to get the rear windows of my 2000 maxima to roll all the way down and still be functional. the site looks way cool. i hope to be visiting it more often now that i know it exists. Thanks. Jim

Old 07-29-2001, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Jimnvicki
I am not sure if this is where i should post this. I am new to this site and am not sure as to whether i can get any answers here or not. I would like to know if there is a way to get the rear windows of my 2000 maxima to roll all the way down and still be functional. the site looks way cool. i hope to be visiting it more often now that i know it exists. Thanks. Jim
I want to say no...because of how the rear door is shaped, it doesn't fully allow the window glass enough room to slide all the way down. I could be wrong though...

Green
Old 07-29-2001, 10:32 AM
Got Bent?

welcome

It would probably take a lot to modify the rear wondows to roll down all the way. The shape of the door is probably the toughest thing to overcome...
Old 07-29-2001, 10:50 AM

You could take a hacksaw to the rear window, but then they won't go all the way up!

I don't think there is one car left that still rolls down the back windows all the way. (maybe Rolls and Bentleys, but not much more, not even the Caddys)
Old 07-29-2001, 11:01 AM

You could sell your max and get something 2 door... then the rear windows would roll all the way down

When I was replacing the speakers in the rear doors, I could touch the glass when the windows were down.. you could maybe get them to go down a little more... but not much I don't think... There's probably just a sensor that tells the motor where the bottom is...
Old 07-29-2001, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by bert
You could take a hacksaw to the rear window, but then they won't go all the way up!

I don't think there is one car left that still rolls down the back windows all the way. (maybe Rolls and Bentleys, but not much more, not even the Caddys)
Actually...not cars, but SUVs (Honda?) can still have their rear windows all the way down...I remember I almost freaked when I saw it all the way down
Old 07-29-2001, 01:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The rear wheel arch is what gets in the way. No way to fix it.

Mark
Old 07-29-2001, 01:55 PM

My '96 Chevy Cavalier's rear windows rolled all the way down. People were surprised.
Old 07-29-2001, 03:05 PM

Acura TL has rear windows that go all the way down if I'm not mistaken
Old 07-29-2001, 09:28 PM

Well, if you look at ancient history (and for this group, that's like 20 years ) the original reason the rear windows didn't go all the way down was for two reasons. One, was the cars started shrinking, and the rear wheel wells started intruding into the passenger compartment, and the other was to prevent little kids from being able to crawl out of a moving car through the window.

'Course, that was before car seat laws. Same sort of thinking that went into your ability to prevent the rear doors from being opened from the inside.

'Course, in those days, you rode on daddy's lap and helped him drive the car.
Old 07-30-2001, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by Jimnvicki
I am not sure if this is where i should post this. I am new to this site and am not sure as to whether i can get any answers here or not.
Welcome to the org dude. Trust me if their is an answer odds are 10000000000000:1 that you will find the answer out with all the know-it-all's in the forum. They have access to dealer only material and most know more than the service dept period....

Again welcome!
Old 07-30-2001, 08:56 AM

The rear windows in my grandmother's '96 Mercury Grand Marquis lowered all the way. She traded the Mercury last week for a 2001 Buick LeSabre....don't know if they lower all the way in the Buick.
Old 07-30-2001, 06:46 PM

1991-1993 buick roadmaster. My mom's had two of them and both roll down all the way. But yeah its not new ...
Old 07-30-2001, 08:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've looked inside my driver's door before and there is about 4 inches of glass beyond the actual mechanisms that lower the window. In order to get the windows to roll down completely, the mechanism must be changed so there is not that much glass below the "visible" end of the window and the way it slides down will have to be similar to the older models ls 400, where the front slides more than the back so it is actually diagonally shapped when inside the door.
Old 07-31-2001, 06:36 PM
Jimnvicki

thanks a lot

I really appreciate all the feedback I got from you guys regarding that damned window. Nonetheless, I am going to a junk yard and see if I can find a rear door from a 2000 maxima and take it home and take it apart and try to figure out a way to get that window down. Why, you may ask, is it so important to me? because it is there. and besides, I want to hang my arm out the back window as I'm driving down PCH with my chair reclined. I'll get back with you all if I find anything new out. Thanks again.

Old 07-31-2001, 08:08 PM

Another thing good about the rear window rolling down all the way is that if by chance you have a really wasted person in back he can roll the window down freely and just do his barfing free from obstructions...I never have anyone wasted in my car but if any of you do watch out...
Old 07-31-2001, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by AdamK
Another thing good about the rear window rolling down all the way is that if by chance you have a really wasted person in back he can roll the window down freely and just do his barfing free from obstructions...I never have anyone wasted in my car but if any of you do watch out...
Eeeeewwww...

Ever see the side of a car when someone ralph's out the window? Not a pretty sight. I'll bet it takes the wax right off the car.

Better to make an emergency stop and kick his/her butt out of the car until the deed is done. Hopefully, it's not raining.

Might want to put a rubber mat in the trunk and keep 'em there. I shudder to think what would happen to my perforated leather...