5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Making OSCAI this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 06:46 AM

I think I am going to try this.

I have a GXE 5sp with just fake vents where the foglights should be. I am going to remove both vents and put air intake tubes in thier place. I will have the tubes merge on the driver side of the car. From there it will run up to the stock air box. I will be eliminating the stock CAI. The only problem I see is I will have to locate the air temp sensor somewhere in the intake track. I would think this would flow much better than stock. I plan on using 3 inch tubing.

I will post pics when I do this.

--Ray
Old 08-03-2001, 06:48 AM
Got Bent?

so you are going to remove the stock scoop also? I guess you will need to mount the temp sensor in a hole you make in the tubing.... anywhere beore the air box should be ok..
Old 08-03-2001, 06:50 AM

OSCAI

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
so you are going to remove the stock scoop also? I guess you will need to mount the temp sensor in a hole you make in the tubing.... anywhere beore the air box should be ok..

I will remove the stock scoop. I am not going to mutilate anything just in case it doesn't work.

--Ray
Old 08-03-2001, 06:52 AM
Got Bent?

Re: OSCAI

Originally posted by raynist

I will remove the stock scoop. I am not going to mutilate anything just in case it doesn't work.

--Ray
cool..... post your results
Old 08-03-2001, 06:57 AM

OSCAI

Should I disconnect the battery when I am done??
Old 08-03-2001, 06:59 AM
Got Bent?

Re: OSCAI

Should I disconnect the battery when I am done??
to reset the ECU? Probably... just leave it unplugged for a few hours or overnight
Old 08-03-2001, 07:05 AM

Re: Re: OSCAI

Does anyone know if the fog light area is accessible from the engine compartment or is it a sealed area that I will have to cut?

Thanks
Ray
Old 08-03-2001, 07:11 AM
Got Bent?

Re: Re: Re: OSCAI

Does anyone know if the fog light area is accessible from the engine compartment or is it a sealed area that I will have to cut?

Thanks
Ray
it should be accessible.... no cutting needed...
Old 08-03-2001, 05:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: OSCAI

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

it should be accessible.... no cutting needed...
i looked into doing this but i couldn't find a way thru without cutting. i even shined a light into the fog lioght hole and couldn't see the beam from the engine bay.
Old 08-03-2001, 06:27 PM

BTW, i wanted to ask you why you decided to get rid of the stock scoop instead of using the standard oscai spot? turbulence?

and good luck with this mod, i'd be very interested in this as well for a track-only kind of thing.
Old 08-03-2001, 08:24 PM

Be wary of removing the stock air scoop. With the OSCAI, version 3 and under, the stock scoop is left intact. This acts as a "air bypass" setup. It would be a real shame if you suck in a bunch of water into the filter and into the engine due to the puddle you just hit. Just a word of advice, or food for thought.
Old 08-03-2001, 09:16 PM

You are probably going to get a lot of bugs and road grim into those tubes which will be sucked into the engine. Good luck with it though...
Old 08-03-2001, 10:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think I am going to try this.

I have a GXE 5sp with just fake vents where the foglights should be. I am going to remove both vents and put air intake tubes in thier place. I will have the tubes merge on the driver side of the car. From there it will run up to the stock air box. I will be eliminating the stock CAI. The only problem I see is I will have to locate the air temp sensor somewhere in the intake track. I would think this would flow much better than stock. I plan on using 3 inch tubing.

I will post pics when I do this.

--Ray
i know you will soon find this out, but once you remove the plastic covers for the fogs, you will find that the hole isn't actually the size of the plastic covers, but it's actually much smaller openings...i think you'll need to cut away the pieces little bit to gain more air flow, but if you do this, you may not be able to install factory fogs(due to fitment issues) later...
just to let you know...
and as far as Ironlords comments about the light things...
if you remove the headlights, you can see the foglight housing from inside. removing the headlight is just a simple process of removing the two screws on the top and yanking it out..there's a clip near the fender and 2 on the bottom of the headlight housing. these, you just pull'em out and they should pop out without any problems.
me and another fellow org member, Max-x-ster, we both have Stillen intakes, but at a track, ran without our left headlight..although there's a battery in front of the intake which blocks air from going directly into the intake, we've been able to manage to cut about .1 sec off our time slips...i don't know if this was a direct result of the removal of the headlight or we were just getting better at it...but it doesn't hurt to try something that takes only secs to do..