5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Another RSB/FSTB victim

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 02:01 PM

After reading all the posts on which mods to get, I finally broke down and bought the most recommended two items, Stillen FSTB and RSB. It took me about 2.5 hrs to do both. During the RSB install, there was an extra bracket sticking out on the trailing arm, which holds the ABS line. I had to break the plastic clip on the line, move the line aside and pound the brackets (with a hammer) flat so the RSB brackets could fit around the trailing arm. Dunno if you guys had same issue on ’01 SE. After that it was easy. I took it out for a short spin. Driving slowly you don’t feel anything but on the on/off ramps, at first you start to lean a little but then, that’s it, no more lean, sticks like glue, flat as a pancake. I’m impressed. I noticed the wheel having to grip more/work harder faster as the force is not absorbed by springs/struts as much. It also seems I need to turn the wheel less to make a turn, especially sharp turns (more responsive? Less lean?). Thanks guys and yee ha…..
Old 08-03-2001, 02:51 PM
Got Bent?

glad you like the FSTB/RSB setup any more mods planned?
Old 08-03-2001, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by To-the-Max-ima
After reading all the posts on which mods to get, I finally broke down and bought the most recommended two items, Stillen FSTB and RSB. It took me about 2.5 hrs to do both. During the RSB install, there was an extra bracket sticking out on the trailing arm, which holds the ABS line. I had to break the plastic clip on the line, move the line aside and pound the brackets (with a hammer) flat so the RSB brackets could fit around the trailing arm. Dunno if you guys had same issue on ’01 SE. After that it was easy. I took it out for a short spin. Driving slowly you don’t feel anything but on the on/off ramps, at first you start to lean a little but then, that’s it, no more lean, sticks like glue, flat as a pancake. I’m impressed. I noticed the wheel having to grip more/work harder faster as the force is not absorbed by springs/struts as much. It also seems I need to turn the wheel less to make a turn, especially sharp turns (more responsive? Less lean?). Thanks guys and yee ha…..
congrats man, I just got my RSB yesterday, and am installing it on monday.
FSTB is next.
Old 08-03-2001, 03:36 PM
RussMaxManiac

I followed the instructions to detail and did not have to mess with that ABS bracket at all. I just pushed out the parking brake line with the spacer it came with. To what it sounds like you didn't read the instructions good.

Old 08-03-2001, 04:05 PM

I've been thinking about what to mod next...and I think I'm REALLY happy with just these two mods myself, and maybe won't do anything else.

...for now
Old 08-03-2001, 05:08 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Another one down, many more to go. Who's next?

Congrats!
Old 08-03-2001, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Another one down, many more to go. Who's next?

Congrats!
Oh, stop already! Haven't you people infected enough innocent bystanders? Stop the insanity!

Anyway, i'm getting a k&n but that doesn't count as a mod so i'm still stock...
Old 08-03-2001, 05:45 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Ironlord

Oh, stop already! Haven't you people infected enough innocent bystanders? Stop the insanity!

Anyway, i'm getting a k&n but that doesn't count as a mod so i'm still stock...
Anything not stock is aftermarket..... and aftermarket = mod.

Denial is a sign of addiction.
Old 08-03-2001, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Anything not stock is aftermarket..... and aftermarket = mod.

Denial is a sign of addiction.
No, i'm just buying an exact same size panel filter for my severely dirty stock panel filter. Its not a mod, its a replacement part...

Mods come later...

Maybe...
Old 08-03-2001, 06:33 PM
Got Bent?

you can't fight the inevitable..... MOD IT!!!!

:vampire:
Old 08-03-2001, 11:05 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Ironlord

No, i'm just buying an exact same size panel filter for my severely dirty stock panel filter. Its not a mod, its a replacement part...

Mods come later...

Maybe...
Hmmmm.... then can't you say you're buying the y pipe to replace the dirty stock y pipe? Or the GReddy because there are crimps in the pipe? Uh oh..... sounds like denial to me.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:23 PM

Where did you guys get your stillen rsb from? Stillen, Avalon Racing? How much were they? I want one.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:42 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Menacer
Where did you guys get your stillen rsb from? Stillen, Avalon Racing? How much were they? I want one.
I bought mine long ago from Stillen (before the price hike).
Old 08-04-2001, 06:29 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Menacer
I got mine from Phuong at www.eatricezone.com
Old 08-04-2001, 06:34 AM

MUST...

FIND...

AUTOCROSS!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2001, 06:46 AM

Dunno why my Max had that ABS line bracket sticking out between the bolt for the parking brake and at the end of the trailing arm bolt. This space is where the one of the RSB bracket is supposed to fit over. In the picture the ABS line is enclosed with a cover. Mine didn't have it, the line is just exposed and attached with that bracket on the arm. Read the instructions many time, just didn't make sense. Anyway, everything works,...so far. Still enjoying it.
No more mods planned for now but may consider STS. Have to get snow tires. Live in Boston area. Any recommendations? May go down to 16" rims for better selection.

I got my bars at Avalon Racing. $189 for FSTB and $229 for RSB. $26 for shipping (FEDEX ground)
Old 08-04-2001, 09:39 AM
Got Bent?

The 2k1 models don'r have that ABS cover for some reason... The 2k models do. As for snow tires, go with 15" on steel rims....
Old 08-04-2001, 11:23 PM

Thanks guys for letting me know. Money is tight right now but having that mod would be nice. I'm trying to find the best price especially since school is 3-4 weeks away,
Old 08-05-2001, 09:50 AM
RussMaxManiac

The picture is wrong. That was from a 4th gen I believe. The actual brackets mount closer to the front of the car. I have some pics I will put up later today.

Dunno why my Max had that ABS line bracket sticking out between the bolt for the parking brake and at the end of the trailing arm bolt. This space is where the one of the RSB bracket is supposed to fit over. In the picture the ABS line is enclosed with a cover. Mine didn't have it, the line is just exposed and attached with that bracket on the arm. Read the instructions many time, just didn't make sense. Anyway, everything works,...so far. Still enjoying it.
No more mods planned for now but may consider STS. Have to get snow tires. Live in Boston area. Any recommendations? May go down to 16" rims for better selection.

I got my bars at Avalon Racing. $189 for FSTB and $229 for RSB. $26 for shipping (FEDEX ground)

Old 08-05-2001, 12:46 PM

Thanks for comfirming the ABS cover thing and recommendation for rim size/snows....
Old 08-06-2001, 04:54 PM

Turbo95Max and I had the same problem with that bracket as well and he also banged it flat with a hammer so that the RSB would fit underneath the axle instead of behind it. When it was initially installed behind that ABS bracket and thus an inch behind the axle, it would bang against the bottom of the car once in awhile. After moving it up to where the flattened bracket was, everything is fine now.