5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Saw New Altima OTR Saturday!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 08:49 PM

Hey guys!

I live in Murfreesboro, TN which is about 10 miles from Smyrna where the Nissan assembly plant is. The local paper had a front page spread on Nissan Thursday, the day new Altima production went live. I usually get to see test mules on the road all doctored up, but yesterday I saw a silver 3.5 SE parked at a restaurant with dealer tags. I stopped to look it over; looks great! Then I saw it again on the road today.

I'll have to say that it looks much better in person than in the pictures. It looks very, very nice. Well proportioned from all angles. Surprising, though, it doesn't look as big as the Maxima, although we all know we've read that it is. I saw it today on the road from a distance coming at me and it really stands out, although at first I thought "volkswagon" but quickly realized by the shoveled front end and headlamps it was the altima. The rear lights are awesome. The car looks like much more than it is in terms of cost.

HOWEVER, I am trying NOT to be biased, but I have to say I still think our Max's look better than the Altima. I think the proportions/curves/stance of the Maxima is much sportier and aggressive than even the SE Altima I saw. But, hey, I wouldn't be ashamed to drive an Altima, and I've NEVER even considered one at all in the past...always looked too utilitarian...and then when they began de-contenting them in the last few years...well, they were even less appealing.

SOOOO, for those of you in areas where they haven't shipped to, yet, be content with your Max!! Yes, the Altima is going to get some nods...face it, it could ONLY get better for the car. But makes me feel better about Nissan, as a whole. If their entire line gets juiced up, then it should help us all when/if we get to the negotiations for trade.

Well, sort of long thread...but just had to share my reaction. I'm sure you all will be seeing them soon. This friend of ours that works on the line says they were only supposed to build about 160 on Friday...but he says they built many more than that...they want to get them out there...and from what I saw, they are going to have a fast moving product on their hands.

By the way...have seen some test mules of the Xterra as well, and it looks much better in person, too.

Later,

Scott
Old 08-06-2001, 01:34 AM

Saw one on the road today in Carson, CA (Southbay). Anyways, the car looks definitely a whole lot nicer than in pictures. My girlfriend wants one! =)
Old 08-06-2001, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by Maxmann

This friend of ours that works on the line says they were only supposed to build about 160 on Friday...but he says they built many more than that...they want to get them out there...

Scott
I hope they aren't rushing it and sacrificing quality.... When u saw it up close did u check out the interior? I've heard a quite a few people criticize the interior as looking cheap...is that true?