5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Best Headlights? Try Phillips H4/H3 bulbs....VisionPlus H4 E-code available!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 08:53 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

First, all you PIAA lovers out there see this European light review:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/doctork...are.php3?id=84

To summarize:

Blue Visions:
Lumen Output: 1,409
Beam spread: 149 degrees
Light output at 75m: 34.3
Light output at 50m: 57.2

VisionPlus:
Lumen Output: 1,590
Beam spread: 155 degrees
Light output at 75m: 34.5
Light output at 50m: 57.7

PIAA Superwhite:
Lumen Output: Failed before measuring
Beam spread: 106 degrees
Light output at 75m: 23.1
Light output at 50m: 42.1

The VisionPlus bulbs are rated above my highly recommended Blue Vision 9004 bulbs (best white lights for the $$$), but are only available in H4 and H7 types.

Here is a link with a sight where the VisionPlus bulbs are actually available

http://www.autolamps-online.com/products/orderform.htm

$28 after shipping is a great deal, especially for E-code bulbs. Too bad the VisionPlus bulbs aren't available in H3 for the fogs, just Blue Visions and AllWeathers(which are tinted yellow for foul weather driving).

I thought I would contribute instead of pollute Kev's forum for a change.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:02 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

<evil mode>
Ask us if we care...
</evil mode>

Good find!
Old 08-07-2001, 09:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think the credit should go to the first guy that posted this ... & it wasn't Bill ...

http://216.122.219.59/forums/showthr...threadid=57331

I have the Bluevisions .. I don't think they're that good ... I'm looking forward to my HID's!!!

Originally posted by bill99gxe

To summarize:

Blue Visions:

VisionPlus:

PIAA Superwhite:

The VisionPlus bulbs are rated above my highly recommended Blue Vision 9004 bulbs (best white lights for the $$$), but are only available in H4 and H7 types.

Here is a link with a sight where the VisionPlus bulbs are actually available

http://www.autolamps-online.com/products/orderform.htm

$28 after shipping is a great deal, especially for E-code bulbs. Too bad the VisionPlus bulbs aren't available in H3 for the fogs, just Blue Visions and AllWeathers(which are tinted yellow for foul weather driving).

Old 08-07-2001, 09:15 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Uh oh...
Old 08-07-2001, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by ohboiya
I think the credit should go to the first guy that posted this ... & it wasn't Bill ...

http://216.122.219.59/forums/showthr...threadid=57331

I have the Bluevisions .. I don't think they're that good ... I'm looking forward to my HID's!!!

Not to split hairs, but it was either Shing or myself and not Albertt. I'm pretty sure it was Shing.

But, I'm letting facts get in the way here.

I don't want credit, I'm just giving info. Being an a$$ is a great way to contribute.

I did find the site to purchase them though, and it's not easy, as e-code spec headlights aren't exactly at your local K-Mart.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:59 AM

hey man ... i post it as i c it ... albertt's post is date stamped b4 your post .....

hope the e-code's r better than the bluevisions ...

Not to split hairs, but it was either Shing or myself and not Albertt. I'm pretty sure it was Shing.

But, I'm letting facts get in the way here.

I don't want credit, I'm just giving info. Being an a$$ is a great way to contribute.

I did find the site to purchase them though, and it's not easy, as e-code spec headlights aren't exactly at your local K-Mart.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:00 AM

That's a great find Bill. As a BV owner, I thank you.

One question: What is "e-code?"
Old 08-07-2001, 11:05 AM

Just got 'em

I needed more oomph out of my lights than stock. I've never heard anyone complain about Philips bulbs. I got them at www.powerbulbs.com , Free shipping. Like $28 for both bulbs. I haven't the slightest idea when they will get here since they are coming from U.K., but will post pics when they are in.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

all vision

As Bill and Albert suggested, I ordered the Philips AllVision H3's because my Hella YellowSkanks kept blowing.

So I got them and installed them last night...

we'll see!!!!
Old 08-07-2001, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Uh oh...
... wasn't meant 2 b an 'uh oh'!
Old 08-07-2001, 11:34 AM

anyone know any U.S. online stores selling these phillips bulbs?
Old 08-07-2001, 11:38 AM

here

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg
That's a great find Bill. As a BV owner, I thank you.

One question: What is "e-code?"
E-Code

http://lighting.mbz.org/faq/#ecode
Old 08-07-2001, 11:46 AM

Re: here

Originally posted by DenMax

E-Code

http://lighting.mbz.org/faq/#ecode
Thanks. So quick too.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:56 AM

Re: Re: here

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg

Thanks. So quick too.
HEHEHAHA I have to get work done sometime. This damn site is gonna get me fired. I think this server went into limp mode.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:02 PM

Well, you asked for it.....

hey man ... i post it as i c it ... albertt's post is date stamped b4 your post .....
Geez, I wish the amateurs would stop trying to one up veterans in the self-serving interest of making the veteran look bad. So much for maturity, or even knowledge for that matter.

Anyhoo, here goes:

7:52AM - Albert first posts the link to the test, which I believe Shing discovered first on the automotive Phillips website, and has been sited on here before when he did his PIAA vs. Phillips Blue Visions and proved that there wasn't any difference for the extra $40 or so that PIAA charges for the same 9004 bulb.

10:00AM - I notice this post and am reminded of it being used previously. Then I recalled how good the VisionPlus bulbs are and remembered discussing them with Albertt a few months back?

10:30AM - I post my response to Albertt, and then do a little more research and find them at autolamps-online.com.

11:19AM - I post my findings in the 5th gen forum....where to get them, etc.

1:18PM - By coincidence, Albertt cites the same web place in a post in the General Discussion forum that I linked at 11:19AM in the 5th gen forum post on where to obtain these bulbs. I had been gone from 11:30AM until 2:00PM CST and had no way of knowing he posted this response. I don't know him to visit the 5th gen forum, so I doubt he knew I did this. Since he isn't egotistical, I don't bother informing him of my copying the link. I found the online store link through a simple yahoo! search, as I'm sure he and anyone else who has the capability to use a search feature anywhere can find it.

Still need proof? Here are some search results for "visionplus" that shows where it has been discussed before:

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

This thread in particular will clear up your confusion about who originally discussed the VisionPlus bulbs.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ght=visionplus

You'll see Albertt's original comment was the "Premium" brand not the "VisionPlus"'s. But I'm letting facts get in the way again.

I couldn't find the thread, but I'm nearly positive Shing is the one who originally pointed out the test to me, so he should get the credit for finding this bulb test. I should get the blame for not sharing this earlier with the 5th gen guys, as it slipped my mind since they weren't available for either of my Maximas.

I don't want the credit for anything, I just wanted to help the 5th gen guys out who wanted good quality lights for less than $30. And to end the marketing garbage lights that are PIAAs.

ohboiya,

Some choose to be contributors, and some choose to be leeches or whine about the contributors. Try being the former rather than the latter.

Have a nice day!

Old 08-07-2001, 01:31 PM

Re: Well, you asked for it.....

wow ... u really went in2 detail 2 trump me ... i take a bow 2 the master ...

'

Geez, I wish the amateurs would stop trying to one up veterans in the self-serving interest of making the veteran look bad. So much for maturity, or even knowledge for that matter.

Anyhoo, here goes:

7:52AM - Albert first posts the link to the test, which I believe Shing discovered first on the automotive Phillips website, and has been sited on here before when he did his PIAA vs. Phillips Blue Visions and proved that there wasn't any difference for the extra $40 or so that PIAA charges for the same 9004 bulb.

10:00AM - I notice this post and am reminded of it being used previously. Then I recalled how good the VisionPlus bulbs are and remembered discussing them with Albertt a few months back?

10:30AM - I post my response to Albertt, and then do a little more research and find them at autolamps-online.com.

11:19AM - I post my findings in the 5th gen forum....where to get them, etc.

1:18PM - By coincidence, Albertt cites the same web place in a post in the General Discussion forum that I linked at 11:19AM in the 5th gen forum post on where to obtain these bulbs. I had been gone from 11:30AM until 2:00PM CST and had no way of knowing he posted this response. I don't know him to visit the 5th gen forum, so I doubt he knew I did this. Since he isn't egotistical, I don't bother informing him of my copying the link. I found the online store link through a simple yahoo! search, as I'm sure he and anyone else who has the capability to use a search feature anywhere can find it.

Still need proof? Here are some search results for "visionplus" that shows where it has been discussed before:

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

This thread in particular will clear up your confusion about who originally discussed the VisionPlus bulbs.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ght=visionplus

You'll see Albertt's original comment was the "Premium" brand not the "VisionPlus"'s. But I'm letting facts get in the way again.

I couldn't find the thread, but I'm nearly positive Shing is the one who originally pointed out the test to me, so he should get the credit for finding this bulb test. I should get the blame for not sharing this earlier with the 5th gen guys, as it slipped my mind since they weren't available for either of my Maximas.

I don't want the credit for anything, I just wanted to help the 5th gen guys out who wanted good quality lights for less than $30. And to end the marketing garbage lights that are PIAAs.

ohboiya,

Some choose to be contributors, and some choose to be leeches or whine about the contributors. Try being the former rather than the latter.

Have a nice day!

Old 08-07-2001, 01:42 PM

Re: Re: Well, you asked for it.....

I do apologize for the amateur statement, as that's not real accurate concerning you and it was an inconsiderate and idiotic comment for me to make. I should save those for Russ anyway...

Shing, Albertt, and myself have been anti-PIAA for a while and have spent a lot of time gathering facts as to why. Shing and Albertt have done the dirty work, I've just been the reporter basically.

I do hope some 5th geners will take the plunge and order some of these so we know if they live up to the testing hype.

BTW everyone, these are E-code bulbs but unless your state inspector physically removes the bulb from the socket and looks for the stupid "DOT" label imprinted on them, you shouldn't have any legal issues.......
Old 08-07-2001, 01:44 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Old 08-07-2001, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

LUV it! Bill ... it's all good ... c u round!
Old 08-07-2001, 02:07 PM
STFU n00b!

Re: Re: Well, you asked for it.....

'
Dude, how much of your time do you spend intentionally TRYING to **** people off? your actions make you look like a 3rd grader, just trying to egg him on. do you do this to people you work with? how about your family? wait.. I'd rather not hear the answer to that. please show a little courtesy to others around here. you never know who you're going to have to ask for a favor some day.

It's amazing how many people have dissed me (and Bill, and others), then turned around 30 min later and asked us for information like they never said a thing. Usually I bite my tongue and pass out the info like a good person, but after a while things just get to you..

It alllll goes back to what you learned in kindergarden. Remember the infamous Golden Rule? put it into practice, and you'll have a much better day. I promise.
Old 08-07-2001, 03:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Well, you asked for it.....

uhh ... did u not read the posts above?

Originally posted by Matt93SE

Dude, how much of your time do you spend intentionally TRYING to **** people off? your actions make you look like a 3rd grader, just trying to egg him on. do you do this to people you work with? how about your family? wait.. I'd rather not hear the answer to that. please show a little courtesy to others around here. you never know who you're going to have to ask for a favor some day.

It's amazing how many people have dissed me (and Bill, and others), then turned around 30 min later and asked us for information like they never said a thing. Usually I bite my tongue and pass out the info like a good person, but after a while things just get to you..

It alllll goes back to what you learned in kindergarden. Remember the infamous Golden Rule? put it into practice, and you'll have a much better day. I promise.
Old 08-07-2001, 03:16 PM

Man!!!!

Next up on, "When Light Bulb Threads Go Bad part 6" ....
Old 08-07-2001, 03:37 PM

Do you hold a grudge to people who use Piaa? Why are you making such an implication toward Piaa lovers?

To summarize:

Blue Visions:

VisionPlus:

PIAA Superwhite:
do you feel that you want to instantly put down Piaa users by posting such extreme data between the two?

Do they pay you to advertise on the org? If so, this belongs to the FS section!

PS. I just felt like Bill!
Old 08-07-2001, 03:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

I think he's jealous that you have VTEC on your nissan and everyone else doesn't

Originally posted by LoveSick

Do you hold a grudge to people who use Piaa? Why are you making such an implication toward Piaa lovers?

do you feel that you want to instantly put down Piaa users by posting such extreme data between the two?

Old 08-07-2001, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I think he's jealous that you have VTEC on your nissan and everyone else doesn't

Amen!
Old 08-07-2001, 03:59 PM

Amen!

Where did all the demons come from? Damn
Old 08-07-2001, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by MaineI30

Where did all the demons come from? Damn
VTEC engagement on a Nissan!!!!
Old 08-07-2001, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by DooBall
anyone know any U.S. online stores selling these phillips bulbs?
Kmart B&M has phillips all-weather and blue-vision bulbs. They are like $13 each
Old 08-08-2001, 07:29 AM

My main grudge is against PIAA's marketing department, which tends to brainwash many members into thinking these are the best lights available. I was also brainwashed for a while, but I saw the light. Plus, in the past, I've been flamed many times by PIAA defenders who tend to ignore facts and pictures.

1) It's not my data.
2) It's an independent test. The numbers that they measure are what they are and unedited by myself. I'm just the messenger.
3) These tests only apply to H-series bulbs, not 900x bulbs. There is probably too many differences inherent in the light designs to try and draw parallels for the 3rd and 4th gen Maximas.
4) The only real proof for the 900x series lights between the Blue Visions and PIAAs are Shings pictures comparing each bulb on his website and the rated lumen output of the Blue Visions, which is a bit higher than the PIAAs rated lumen output.
5) If you feel put down, then heaven help you when you encounter real life problems.

Since it seems that 90% of the members here can't use a search function anywhere, I provided a link of where you can get the bulbs. I have never purchased anything from them, so I can't comment on them besides saying they are readily available for online purchase.

The implication that I'm receiving money "on the side" for my posts is ignorant and ridiculous. If I was making money, I would be a heckuva lot more aggressive.

Sorry. There's only one Bill. If it had been a true Bill response, the response coudn't be picked apart like this one was. But keep trying!
Old 08-08-2001, 10:12 AM
PhatGuy

PIAA nah

Piaa bulbs suck IMO. I have the superwhites in both my fogs and headlamps. Both of my fogs have burnt out already (had them in for three months and were installed correct ie. not touched by hand). I really don't like the beam on the H4 piaa either. I would not recommend piaa and regret my purchase of them...however they do have a 1 year warranty of replacement which is good but damn it is a pain to change a fog light on a 5th gen.

Old 08-08-2001, 11:15 AM

Re: PIAA nah

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Piaa bulbs suck IMO. I have the superwhites in both my fogs and headlamps. Both of my fogs have burnt out already (had them in for three months and were installed correct ie. not touched by hand). I really don't like the beam on the H4 piaa either. I would not recommend piaa and regret my purchase of them...however they do have a 1 year warranty of replacement which is good but damn it is a pain to change a fog light on a 5th gen.

Three months is about six times longer than my Hella Yellowstars last

I'm trying the Philips currently...
Old 10-17-2001, 10:10 AM

Anthony >> How do they look compared to the Hellas? >>

Originally posted by MaineI30

Three months is about six times longer than my Hella Yellowstars last

I'm trying the Philips currently...
The same? I would tend to think so.

I'm currently running 9004 All-weathers in my car in preparation for the snowfall. I love them.