5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

severe problem with gauge cluster losing power..need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001 | 08:11 PM
Adam01GXE

last night while driving home my gauge cluster lost all power. the speedo got stuck at 60 and the tach fell 2 zero while the fuel sensor went to E and the thermo went to C. the odometer also cut out. i didnt lose power to any other electrical system though. the stereo continued to work, the lights didnt flicker and the a/c and heater workd. when i got home i turned the car off hoping that the problem would fix itself when i started it back up. i waited a minute and fired her back up to no avail. the gauges didnt budge. this morning when i got back in on my way to work the gauges had reset themselves and seemed to operate normally. however, tonight on my way home from work the same thing happened again. i pulled into a convenience store and 10 minutes later when i started the car back up, the gauges seemed to have reset themsleves again. however 5 minutes later they lost power again. the odometer has not been reset to 0 but the trip-odomter resets each time the gauges freeze. any suggestions to what this is?? my first thought was possbily a fuse, but the gauges wouldnt have come back on this morning if a fuse had blown. i'm at a loss so i'll be calling the dealership tomorrow to schedule an appointment.
Old 08-08-2001 | 08:25 PM

I believe a fuse problem would result in everything not working all of time and not haphazardly.

Perhaps the power supply harness(s) to the gauge cluster is simply loose. Maybe if you giggle or reconnect the gauge cluster power supplies on the backside of the gauge cluster will provide a better connection. If you have not messed with the gauge cluster, then I would take it to the dealer.

If you, like me, have installed gauge rings and have removed the gauge cluster, you can go through that procedure to get to the connections and reconnect them. See http://www.fourthrock.com/maxima/gau...erringinstall/

I would probably just take it to the dealer...