5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New track times, an observation, and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001 | 09:58 PM

Well, me and some of my boys went to the track again tonight. I ripped off a 15.87, 15.88, 15.89 and then took a break. lowered tire pressure down to 26 and tore up da track (not literally but for me) with this run:

RT .510 (i'm getting better at this)
60' 2.364 (lowest i've gotten)
1/8 10.23
mph 70.15
1/4 15.812
mph 87.09

Best et, best 60', and best mph. Stock. I don't think i'll be able to take the car any faster stiock, maybe 15.75 if i take the spare and tool box out of the trunk.

Anyway, one run tonight (with my k&n panel filter) had an identical 60' as a run last week (w/ stock filter) so by correcting both runs to standard nhra conditions and comparing i saw definitively (launch, tie psi,weight, and shifting was identical) that a k&n panel filter lowers 1/4 et by 0.09 seconds. I can provide details for both those runs if y'all want to double check me.

And my questions are this... How do i bring my 60' down? I need to get it to about 2.1 or so and I've already got my tires lowered to 26 psi and i'm flashing the TC as best I know how (floor brake at stage, floor gas at first yellow light, release brake at third yellow light). Should I try the spring blockers in my back springs or is there a technique? anythign cheap that will keep my basically stock. And also, does 87.1 mph seem a little fast for a 15.8, i thought i should be more around 85 but i might be wrong. And i think i hit the rev limiter in my 1-2 shift, does this slow you down much and what exactly is our redline? is it 6600 or 6700? Cuz i thought it was 6700 but i've been banging the rev limiter on every 1-2 shift, not bad but i'm shifted right as and it seems like it might be slowing me a bit. I dunno, thanks for reading my long post...
Old 08-08-2001 | 10:12 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by Ironlord
...and i'm flashing the TC as best I know how (floor brake at stage, floor gas at first yellow light, release brake at third yellow light).
This isn't exactly what I would call flashing the torque converter.

You're loading it up, yes, but flashing it - no.

To flash it what you need to do is release the brake on the 3rd light while simultaneously flooring it. When you start your initial brake torque, DO NOT floor the gas too and immediately load up the TC to its maximum stall speed.

On Accord V6's our maximum stall speed is 2100rpm or so. What we do to get the best launches is to brake torque to 1800rpm or so (full brake, part throttle) and then floor it just as we let off the brake to launch. What happens is that when you floor it just as you let off the inertia from the engine accelerating up to max stall speed allows it to "FLASH" the torque converter momentarily to a higher than normal max stall speed - like 2400rpm or thereabouts. This gives us the very BEST launches.

If you're already full-throttle before you let off the brakes then the engine won't have any extra inertia and it'll end up being a static launch at whatever the Max's max stall speed is. If you simultaneously let off the brake and floor it then you can use the extra intertia from the engine's acceleration to your advantage and get a little better 60' time and ET.

So give that a try

And i think i hit the rev limiter in my 1-2 shift, does this slow you down much and what exactly is our redline? is it 6600 or 6700? Cuz i thought it was 6700 but i've been banging the rev limiter on every 1-2 shift, not bad but i'm shifted right as and it seems like it might be slowing me a bit. I dunno, thanks for reading my long post...
If you're hitting the rev limiter and still getting 15.8's with your non-optimal launching technique then that's pretty damn good if you ask me. You'll want to time your 1-2 shift such that you still reach redline, but so the tranny shifts BEFORE you hit the rev limiter. I think the rev limiter is like right after your 6500rpm redline - so like 6600rpm I guess?? Time your 1-2 shift so that you hit redline, but not the rev limiter.

Keep in mind that it's summer now, and temperatures are hotter (it was 97F in Germantown, MD today) so engines are going to be down on power a little bit, and this will effect your time. I think you can correct your time for temperature, though - maybe that's what you already did.
Old 08-08-2001 | 10:20 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
This isn't exactly what I would call flashing the torque converter.

You're loading it up, yes, but flashing it - no.

To flash it what you need to do is release the brake on the 3rd light while simultaneously flooring it. When you start your initial brake torque, DO NOT floor the gas too and immediately load up the TC to its maximum stall speed.

On Accord V6's our maximum stall speed is 2100rpm or so. What we do to get the best launches is to brake torque to 1800rpm or so (full brake, part throttle) and then floor it just as we let off the brake to launch. What happens is that when you floor it just as you let off the inertia from the engine accelerating up to max stall speed allows it to "FLASH" the torque converter momentarily to a higher than normal max stall speed - like 2400rpm or thereabouts. This gives us the very BEST launches.

If you're already full-throttle before you let off the brakes then the engine won't have any extra inertia and it'll end up being a static launch at whatever the Max's max stall speed is. If you simultaneously let off the brake and floor it then you can use the extra intertia from the engine's acceleration to your advantage and get a little better 60' time and ET.

So give that a try

If you're hitting the rev limiter and still getting 15.8's with your non-optimal launching technique then that's pretty damn good if you ask me. You'll want to time your 1-2 shift such that you still reach redline, but so the tranny shifts BEFORE you hit the rev limiter. I think the rev limiter is like right after your 6500rpm redline - so like 6600rpm I guess?? Time your 1-2 shift so that you hit redline, but not the rev limiter.

Keep in mind that it's summer now, and temperatures are hotter (it was 97F in Germantown, MD today) so engines are going to be down on power a little bit, and this will effect your time. I think you can correct your time for temperature, though - maybe that's what you already did.
Ok, thanks for the update about flashing the TC, basically sounds like just hammering it. I'll try that too see if i can bring that horrible 60' down. might try your accord technique too, thanks. And no, i didn't correct for weather. Using prestage.com car math with the temp at 86 here and barom at 29.9 and humid about 70%, my 15.812@87.09 corrects to 15.7@87.63. That's nice, but i'm not gonna use that as my time since i never really ran that. Thanks for your help. and can anyone comment on whether or not my mph seems fast for my et?
Old 08-08-2001 | 10:37 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by Ironlord
And no, i didn't correct for weather. Using prestage.com car math with the temp at 86 here and barom at 29.9 and humid about 70%, my 15.812@87.09 corrects to 15.7@87.63. That's nice, but i'm not gonna use that as my time since i never really ran that.
It's perfectly legit, IMO, to correct for environmental variables like temp, humidity, pressure, and altitude. It's the only way to accurately compare cars when one guy is running in 95F weather and 90% humidity and the other is running at a nice 60F and 30% humidity...
Old 08-09-2001 | 12:30 AM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Let the automagic work its magic.....i assume your trying to **** 1-2-D...........
Old 08-09-2001 | 05:33 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Your MPH seems ok. See my time and MPH in my sig...
Old 08-09-2001 | 06:12 AM

Those are pretty good times from what I have seen for a stock automagic!

One thing that I would like to try is getting a 15" wheel with a smaller tire for the fronts when I drag. This would provide more tire rotation thus increasing the gear ratio. I think this would definately help you, especially with the auto.
Old 08-09-2001 | 09:00 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
It's perfectly legit, IMO, to correct for environmental variables like temp, humidity, pressure, and altitude. It's the only way to accurately compare cars when one guy is running in 95F weather and 90% humidity and the other is running at a nice 60F and 30% humidity...
I agree with you. But, it does sometimes yield ETs/mphs that the car really cant run. I know that it true in my case as I corrected some runs for MPH and they came out close to 100 mph. (Humidity really effects things.) Theres not way my car will do that.
Old 08-09-2001 | 10:31 AM

Originally posted by madmax2k

I agree with you. But, it does sometimes yield ETs/mphs that the car really cant run. I know that it true in my case as I corrected some runs for MPH and they came out close to 100 mph. (Humidity really effects things.) Theres not way my car will do that.
No, i believe it is legit, but not really. I think its a good way to compare, but not something to benchmark. I do believe that I could do a 15.7 at 87.8 in 60 degree and 30% humidity weather. But I also know that I will never, ever get a chance to run when it is 60 degree and 30% humidity. never. and I also don't think you should go around quoting corrected times, that just seems to ricer-ish to me.

And madmax, you might be able to hit 100 if your 96mph run was really hot and humid, but the weather you need to do that would never happen...
Old 08-09-2001 | 01:25 PM

keep all your windows up, pop the hood when your'e waiting in line, and push the car all the way up to the start line then start the motor.. i let out alotta air outa my tires, rolled with the lights off, and all was bone stock.. hit 15.333.. but ppl complain about how i had stripped my interior..i dont consider that as a mod... but now i'll prolly hit 16-17 since i have lotza dead weight in the trunk and larger wheels that weigh tons more. i'll hit the strip again as soon as i get back to the sates.

here's my time slip for reals
http://www.geocities.com/wenganator/timeslip5.jpg