5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cattman Y-Pipe Installed.... I'm tired!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 08:57 PM
4drskyline

Well I took on the job of installing the Cattman Y-Pipe myself since I figured myself to be a rather good Weekend Mechanic. Here is how it went...

The fit and finish of the pipe is EXCEPTIONAL, no doubt about that... However, the bolt holes on the flanges were not even close to matching up to the studs on the headers! I thought for a second that I was going to have to send back the pipe. Instead, I ran down to the local hardware store and purchased a DREMEL to round out the holes. After 1 1/2 hrs of grinding, the pipe finally gave in and I bolted everything up. Total install time 3 1/2 hrs. I've heard of variations from car-to-car as far as specs... but Sheeeesh!!!! I thought it would never end!!!!

By the way... I LOVE IT!

Old 08-11-2001, 09:12 PM

Mr Dremel is my best friend, followed closely by Mr Big Hammer.

Congratulations!
Old 08-11-2001, 09:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 4drskyline
Well I took on the job of installing the Cattman Y-Pipe myself since I figured myself to be a rather good Weekend Mechanic. Here is how it went...

The fit and finish of the pipe is EXCEPTIONAL, no doubt about that... However, the bolt holes on the flanges were not even close to matching up to the studs on the headers! I thought for a second that I was going to have to send back the pipe. Instead, I ran down to the local hardware store and purchased a DREMEL to round out the holes. After 1 1/2 hrs of grinding, the pipe finally gave in and I bolted everything up. Total install time 3 1/2 hrs. I've heard of variations from car-to-car as far as specs... but Sheeeesh!!!! I thought it would never end!!!!

By the way... I LOVE IT!

Congrats dude! My total install time was 3 1/2 days!

Old 08-11-2001, 09:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

has everyone had this much trouble with Cattman's y? why doesn't he do s/t about it?
Old 08-12-2001, 04:19 AM

When I installed mine a month or so ago, it fit perfectly. I found that the hardest thing was after getting all the rusty bolts/nuts off was actually removing the pipe, I had to use my trusty rubber mallet sp? to help out. But I love mine too, something is hypnotic sp? about it's sound.
Old 08-12-2001, 04:56 AM

What?? Why do you say that the fit and finish is great on the pipe when you had to dremel the damn thing to get it to fit right? My stupid stillen pipe is not made correctly either, one of the hangers is cut off because it did not line up properly. Sometimes it seems like people design products and don't test them on the actual cars.
Old 08-12-2001, 08:56 AM
4drskyline

Originally posted by cobymoby
What?? Why do you say that the fit and finish is great on the pipe when you had to dremel the damn thing to get it to fit right? My stupid stillen pipe is not made correctly either, one of the hangers is cut off because it did not line up properly. Sometimes it seems like people design products and don't test them on the actual cars.
You got a point there. Maybe I should have said that the QUALITY of the pipe is top-notch... meaning the welds, etc. It didn't quite FIT.... but the FINISH was good. I would have been really ****ed, though, if I couldn't get the thing to fit and had to put back on the stock Y-PIPE. Oh well.... I always wanted a DREMEL, anyway.... another addition to the tool collection

Old 08-12-2001, 09:01 AM
4drskyline

Ohhhhh... I do have a question for you guys, though. After installing the Y-Pipe, I noticed that the stock muffler doesn't quite hang the same way it used to. It now seems to hang a bit closer to the rear bumper. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my pipe that caused this?

Old 08-12-2001, 10:37 AM

Ohhhhh... I do have a question for you guys, though. After installing the Y-Pipe, I noticed that the stock muffler doesn't quite hang the same way it used to. It now seems to hang a bit closer to the rear bumper. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my pipe that caused this?
Mine does that too....I installed mine last week and noticed that the tip on the stock muffler is a little raised on the left side. Anyone know of an easy fix for this?
Old 08-12-2001, 10:39 AM
Got Bent?

congrats man! The fit with my cattman pipe was tight, but everything lined up just fine. It took a little pushing and a little crow-bar action to get it in there, but the fit and finish was great. As for the muffler hanging different, some people have noticed that. Mine is still just the same though
Old 08-12-2001, 11:15 AM
PhatGuy

My cattman took about 1hr to install. I just went to a Midas Muffler paid them $60CDN/$40US cash and it was done. I "supervised" the entire install and this particular guy knew exactly what he was doing.

Old 08-13-2001, 06:09 AM
4drskyline

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

Mine does that too....I installed mine last week and noticed that the tip on the stock muffler is a little raised on the left side. Anyone know of an easy fix for this?
Ah haaaa... I think I know why it does that now. It appears that flange on the y-pipe that mates up to the cat is in a different position than the one on the stock y-pipe [slightly rotated]. I think this twists the b-pipe and rear section so that it does not sit as it used to.... hmmmm. Maybe when I get my RT cat [w/ rotatable flanges] this problem will be solved. I'm absolutely LOVING the sound of the muffler now... it seems to have gotten progressively more audible after the y-pipe install on Saturday. I gotta get rid of the crappy b-pipe, though.... I noticed that there is a HUGE crimp in it right after the resonator... reducing the size of the pipe to damn near HALF!

Old 08-14-2001, 10:50 PM

So what do you think is the final verdict on the Y pipe? I love my mod but am a little suprised that Cattmann and Stillen can't make the thing correctly. Oh, and what's the porterfield R45 in your signature?
Old 08-15-2001, 03:25 PM
4drskyline

Originally posted by cobymoby
So what do you think is the final verdict on the Y pipe? I love my mod but am a little suprised that Cattmann and Stillen can't make the thing correctly. Oh, and what's the porterfield R45 in your signature?
The final verdict is.... GREAT mod... just be prepared to run into some snags during the install. You may or you may not have a problem... just prepare yourself ahead of time.... OR... let a professional do it for you who already has all the necessary tools at his disposal.

I installed Porterfield brake pads on my car 2 weekends ago.... the car stops on a DIME!!! I recommend them to every Maxima owner. I got them for $118 for the whole set, thanks to MaximaDriver.com.

Old 08-15-2001, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
Mr Dremel is my best friend, followed closely by Mr Big Hammer.

Congratulations!
hey how much do Dremels cost?
Old 08-15-2001, 06:56 PM
4drskyline

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g

hey how much do Dremels cost?
I got mine from Home Depot for $60. Includes a 5-speed Dremel and 25 accessories. Ther are cheaper kits and also more expensive ones. I saw them ranging from $30 to $100.

Old 08-15-2001, 08:28 PM

I had to have mine adjusted to fit. It bolted up the the headers great, but the connection to the cat was way off to the left and it was too long. I have since gone back stock. Greddy was too loud. Great power mod though.
Old 08-16-2001, 07:01 AM

Ah haaaa... I think I know why it does that now. It appears that flange on the y-pipe that mates up to the cat is in a different position than the one on the stock y-pipe [slightly rotated]. I think this twists the b-pipe and rear section so that it does not sit as it used to.... hmmmm. Maybe when I get my RT cat [w/ rotatable flanges] this problem will be solved. I'm absolutely LOVING the sound of the muffler now... it seems to have gotten progressively more audible after the y-pipe install on Saturday. I gotta get rid of the crappy b-pipe, though.... I noticed that there is a HUGE crimp in it right after the resonator... reducing the size of the pipe to damn near HALF!
Hi,
Be careful It gets WAY LOUD if you remove the resonator.
Also there is not much space over the axle so the pipe gets pinched down there also
Best regards,
Fast Walker