5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Canada & the Brake Judder TSB

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 02:10 PM
Jer

Hey guys,
Just wondering how many of you have gotten your cars in for service for the infamous brake judder problem.. more specifically so, up in Canada.

Nissan Canada is arguing that no such TSB exists because "Canadian Maximas are built with completely different parts from US Maximas". I made another call to them a few minutes later and helped them -possibly- change their minds; they got the service manager at 401 Dixie here in Toronto to call me up and tell me to bring my car in to have the brakes looked at...

.. I'm just looking for some leeway I can use in case someone else here has had their car dealt with for premature rotor warpage/"judder". I know someone else from work is seeing the same thing, but he has yet to bring it in himself.

Please let me know if you're seeing this problem and/if you've brought in your Y2K+ Max to get it serviced... thx!
Old 08-14-2001, 02:57 PM

I had no problem at Longueuil Nissan (south shore Montreal). I brought in the TSB but they knew about the problem.

I think there are 5-8 active Toronto guys on the board, do a search for Toronto and you will find them. They may have had the brake TSB done.

I would have no problem harrassing one guy at Nissan until we get decent service. Give me his number and I will call.

The different parts thing is complete bull****.

Hunt around for a good dealer. When you find it, keep it and spread the word.
Old 08-14-2001, 03:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey Bert,

Jer & I have been communicating .. no 1 in toronto has had this prob of brake rotors warping yet so we haven't had 2 deal with the crap Jer is going thru ... maybe u can contact the guy u dealt with 2 c if he can help somehow?

Originally posted by bert
I had no problem at Longueuil Nissan (south shore Montreal). I brought in the TSB but they knew about the problem.

I think there are 5-8 active Toronto guys on the board, do a search for Toronto and you will find them. They may have had the brake TSB done.

I would have no problem harrassing one guy at Nissan until we get decent service. Give me his number and I will call.

Old 08-14-2001, 03:55 PM
Jer

Yeah, I've tried a few people already.. I know someone who's got the same problem and he's in the mid-20k range, so at least now it's two people (he has yet to call in to complain).

Have you got a service advisor I could give to Nissan as a reference? They seemed convinced noone had ever complained of this and that it wasn't an issue... a tech or an advisor on their line might help!

Fingers crossed with 401 dixie nissan until then! I've found them better than anyone else in the GTA (including Agincourt (just personal preference there hehe)

Originally posted by bert

Old 08-14-2001, 06:18 PM

You will have problems, trust me. At about 25-30 KKM it will kick in. I toughed it out to 42K due to being lazy and needing an oil change.

I brought it in to the dealer, that's it. The dealer did not even question me. I had the printed TSB with me and she basically looked at me like "What, do you think we are morons?". There were two other Max's in for the same job. (on was having it done when I picked up Max and another had freshly scraped rotors. They even let me into the shop no questions and I shot the **** with the mechanic for 5 minutes. I would venture to say that it may be worth your while to take a ride in to Montreal.

If you want me to talk to someone, or get a 'become a pain in the *** campaign' going let me know. I will call your contact at Nissan.

I must admit that I am a bit hard on my car, certainly way over the average but I do not race (no one wants to go, TL/CL(S) wusses!)

As for the fact that some of you are having good luck, all the better, what is the build date of your cars? Maybe they got thier head out of thier asses and have put decent disks on later 2Ks and 2K1s. It's not a Quebec / Ontario thing because my ride (now clean and shining, until a ****ing bird ****s on it) is actually an Ontario car.

Hunt for a good service place and keep them as if they are diamonds, because they are. I don't know why they are so idiotic, they make money from any warantee work. (maybe they are stupider than we think!)
Old 08-14-2001, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Jer
Hey guys,
Just wondering how many of you have gotten your cars in for service for the infamous brake judder problem.. more specifically so, up in Canada.

Nissan Canada is arguing that no such TSB exists because "Canadian Maximas are built with completely different parts from US Maximas". I made another call to them a few minutes later and helped them -possibly- change their minds; they got the service manager at 401 Dixie here in Toronto to call me up and tell me to bring my car in to have the brakes looked at...

.. I'm just looking for some leeway I can use in case someone else here has had their car dealt with for premature rotor warpage/"judder". I know someone else from work is seeing the same thing, but he has yet to bring it in himself.

Please let me know if you're seeing this problem and/if you've brought in your Y2K+ Max to get it serviced... thx!
Yes, I had the same problem starting from 12k km approx. I had them cut at the local garage that time and they were running well until 30k - and got warped again. I figured that the reason in my case was uneven metal hardness of one rotor. Surprisingly, my dealership turned to be nice and replaced both front rotors under warranty(!). I live in GTA and had my car serviced at Village Nissan on Hwy 7. They gave me hard times too but they're better than Alta Nissan IMHO, at least half of their staff knows about TSBs.

Good luck .
Old 08-14-2001, 09:38 PM

no problem

Cobourg Nissan did mine..the mechanic new about the TSB.no questions asked
Old 08-14-2001, 10:00 PM

If they say that the TSB doesn't apply here in Canada, simply ask the sales which contentinent Canada is on. He will answer North America and it says right on the TSB, Nissan North America.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:16 PM

That is very useful to know that at least this dealership is aware of them. Maybe we'll have to support this dealership!!!

Tkx 4 the info!

Originally posted by Max_5gen

Yes, I had the same problem starting from 12k km approx. I had them cut at the local garage that time and they were running well until 30k - and got warped again. I figured that the reason in my case was uneven metal hardness of one rotor. Surprisingly, my dealership turned to be nice and replaced both front rotors under warranty(!). I live in GTA and had my car serviced at Village Nissan on Hwy 7. They gave me hard times too but they're better than Alta Nissan IMHO, at least half of their staff knows about TSBs.

Good luck .
Old 08-16-2001, 08:49 AM
Jer

Well, I've got a beautiful Toyota Echo parked in my driveway until late this afternoon - the dealer told me they were aware of the TSB and that the people on the phones at Nissan Customer Service need education.

<fingers crossed hoping this sticks by the end of the day>

Originally posted by Jer

<snip>

<snip>
Old 08-16-2001, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by Jer
Well, I've got a beautiful Toyota Echo parked in my driveway until late this afternoon - the dealer told me they were aware of the TSB and that the people on the phones at Nissan Customer Service need education.

<fingers crossed hoping this sticks by the end of the day>

which dealer did u end up going 2? the same one u originally brought it 2?

If I were u .. I would call up Nissan Canada & give them **** ... did u get the names of all the people u spoke 2? Ask for their supervisor / manager & give him crap as well ... they philosophy is to try & frustrate the customer until the customer gives up ...
Old 08-16-2001, 03:42 PM
Jer

Well here's the final verdict... I just picked up my car from 401 Dixie Nissan - I wouldn't take it anywhere else.

Brakes replaced under warranty. New rotors, new pads. Charges for the brakes and related service total at $0.

I got a new air filter (installed free, yay), and the tire rotation done too as the wheels had to come off anyways...

What can I say; I was more than satisifed with 401 Dixie on my first 1500km service there, and here they pulled through with flying colours after all...

Moral of the story : if you have any technical issues/questions pertaining to TSB's, don't bother with Nissan Canada - call a GOOD dealership first and see what they have to say. My experiences with GM were the other way around...

So what can I say; it seems that Montreal has a dealer of choice, I guess Toronto has one now too : three thumbs up for 401-Dixie Nissan (Eugene, I'll need to borrow one of your hands for this ).

There ya have it folks!

Originally posted by ohboiya

which dealer did u end up going 2? the same one u originally brought it 2?

If I were u .. I would call up Nissan Canada & give them **** ... did u get the names of all the people u spoke 2? Ask for their supervisor / manager & give him crap as well ... they philosophy is to try & frustrate the customer until the customer gives up ...
Old 08-16-2001, 03:59 PM

Jer,

That is impressive! WOW!!! Do you have the name of the service advisor / manager that you dealt with? I think I may have to start giving my business to them!!

Originally posted by Jer
Well here's the final verdict... I just picked up my car from 401 Dixie Nissan - I wouldn't take it anywhere else.

Brakes replaced under warranty. New rotors, new pads. Charges for the brakes and related service total at $0.

I got a new air filter (installed free, yay), and the tire rotation done too as the wheels had to come off anyways...

What can I say; I was more than satisifed with 401 Dixie on my first 1500km service there, and here they pulled through with flying colours after all...

Moral of the story : if you have any technical issues/questions pertaining to TSB's, don't bother with Nissan Canada - call a GOOD dealership first and see what they have to say. My experiences with GM were the other way around...

So what can I say; it seems that Montreal has a dealer of choice, I guess Toronto has one now too : three thumbs up for 401-Dixie Nissan (Eugene, I'll need to borrow one of your hands for this ).

There ya have it folks!

Old 08-16-2001, 07:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry to jump off topic...

Sorry to jump off topic...but since all you Canadians are watching,
I wonder if you can tell me a good source for Maxima performance parts in Canada?

I was thinking of ordering from Stillen/EatRice/Cattman - anyone
had problems getting the stuff? Do you have to go to the border
to pick it up, or is it delivered to your door?

I'll probably start with FSTB and RSB, then who knows...

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2001, 09:39 PM

Re: Sorry to jump off topic...

For a more Canadian flavour .. visit my site ... it's mainly Ontarians but we have people from all over ...

Don't order n e thing Stillen from Stillen ... get it from Hogan (aka yo-its-ok) or Phuong (Gotrice) ... they generally have the best pricing .. or wait for Gregg 2 set up a GD ...

If u r serious about the Stillen FSTB & RSB .. I may b able 2 get u a new set for a decent price ... big maybe though ... e-mail me ...

L8r

Originally posted by MerlotAEinBC
Sorry to jump off topic...but since all you Canadians are watching,
I wonder if you can tell me a good source for Maxima performance parts in Canada?

I was thinking of ordering from Stillen/EatRice/Cattman - anyone
had problems getting the stuff? Do you have to go to the border
to pick it up, or is it delivered to your door?

I'll probably start with FSTB and RSB, then who knows...

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2001, 10:23 PM
Jer

I'm REALLY impressed.. esp. considering my previous 2 cars were GMs.. hell I'm never going back down that route! You can imagine how cruddy their service was!

The service advisor I always deal with is Bryan Tippin; 905-238-5500 is their number.. ask for Bryan in service... I think their service manager is called Peter but I'm afraid I really don't remember as I've only spoken to him once, and that's when Nissan Canada said they knew nothing of the issue.

Jer,

That is impressive! WOW!!! Do you have the name of the service advisor / manager that you dealt with? I think I may have to start giving my business to them!!

Old 08-16-2001, 10:45 PM
Jer

Re: Re: Sorry to jump off topic...

I can't really post too many details just yet, but I'm working on a little project to get parts at a better cost to Canada (also to skip everyone's pain in the butt UPS brokerage fees, or other reg. border fees...).. I'm working things out right now and have a lot of work left to do.. but hopefully within the next month or two I can use my sources for the GM aftermarket (as well as others) to get you guys some cool deals to drool over The only thing left to be decided is whether I will be able to charge in Canadian $$$.

I'll be sure to let you know..

For a more Canadian flavour .. visit my site ... it's mainly Ontarians but we have people from all over ...

Don't order n e thing Stillen from Stillen ... get it from Hogan (aka yo-its-ok) or Phuong (Gotrice) ... they generally have the best pricing .. or wait for Gregg 2 set up a GD ...

If u r serious about the Stillen FSTB & RSB .. I may b able 2 get u a new set for a decent price ... big maybe though ... e-mail me ...

L8r

Old 08-16-2001, 10:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Sorry to jump off topic...

That would be extremely helpful ... I think this is s/t u can post on my site as well since the majority of us are Canucks!

Originally posted by Jer
I can't really post too many details just yet, but I'm working on a little project to get parts at a better cost to Canada (also to skip everyone's pain in the butt UPS brokerage fees, or other reg. border fees...).. I'm working things out right now and have a lot of work left to do.. but hopefully within the next month or two I can use my sources for the GM aftermarket (as well as others) to get you guys some cool deals to drool over The only thing left to be decided is whether I will be able to charge in Canadian $$$.

I'll be sure to let you know..

Old 08-17-2001, 08:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the replys, guys. I'll hold tight for a bit to
see how the big plan pans out.

BTW, my AE has onlt 12,000 KM on it, so no brake problems yet.
I bought it from Southside Nissan. Walked in and they reduced
the sticker from 37,800 to 35 flat, and gave my 500 more for my
trade in than anyone else. I said "I'll take it".

Have some rock chips on front bumper so bought a bra; other
than that, no probs yet.
Old 08-17-2001, 01:22 PM

Southside Good

Glad to hear you're happy with Southside Nissan. Makes me glad I chose them over Richmond Nissan. Southside gave the lowest price without hassles. And their service department was great. I've had my TCM, solenoids, bumper clips, and creaks and rattles done with little trouble.

I haven't had any rotor problems yet either and I'm at 18000km. My last check up was a few months ago and they said the rotors were like new. But I haven't been braking hard at all. Actually, I haven't heard or read of many rotor problems in BC. Maybe it's our weather or lack of highways.

Got the chips (2) in the hood too. But I bought a hood deflector instead of the nose mask. No more chips, but I can see where rocks have hit the deflector. Should have gotten it right off the bat.

Anyway, if you find some good places to buy aftermarket stuff in BC for Maximas, let me know. Thanks.

5thGen
BC, Canada

Originally posted by MerlotAEinBC
Thanks for the replys, guys. I'll hold tight for a bit to
see how the big plan pans out.

BTW, my AE has onlt 12,000 KM on it, so no brake problems yet.
I bought it from Southside Nissan. Walked in and they reduced
the sticker from 37,800 to 35 flat, and gave my 500 more for my
trade in than anyone else. I said "I'll take it".

Have some rock chips on front bumper so bought a bra; other
than that, no probs yet.
Old 09-20-2001, 07:18 AM

Judder again.....

My father has a 2000 Maxima SE, with 47,000km on it. Earlier in the year (39,000km) he took the car to the dealership who informed him that his rotors were warped and were not covered under warranty. He paid to have them machined, but now he's experiencing the judder. He took it back to the dealership, and they're recommending that he replaces the rotors with "after-market high performance" ones.

The problems with my Dad's car seem to be related to this TSB, so I'll tell him to print it off and take it to them. Do you guys think that he should be reimbursed for the last service?

Has anyone made the switch to after market rotors? If so which ones did you get, and how do you find them?

I almost forgot...Is a TSB like a recall, in that the dealer has to perform the service, or is it more like a FYI for the dealers.