5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Guess What? '02 HIDs FIT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 04:12 PM

i wished i knew something about wiring to help out.
it seems this is becoming more and more of a reality. i guess i've got to order my own set now. damn.. what do i sell???

thanks for all the effort guys.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:07 PM

Dave set a pair aside for me please....Im ready to purchase when you're ready to ship(assuming this works out)
Old 08-21-2001, 11:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

CALM DOWN EVERYONE

I will be getting the set from DaveB this thursday which is tommorow.

I will be installing them as well as answering ALL of your wiring questions.

I will have it done FOR SURE in 2hrs, maybe with UMD_MAXSE help if I get done with my moving and all.

Dixit
Old 08-22-2001, 09:15 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: CALM DOWN EVERYONE

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
I will be getting the set from DaveB this thursday which is tommorow.

I will be installing them as well as answering ALL of your wiring questions.

I will have it done FOR SURE in 2hrs, maybe with UMD_MAXSE help if I get done with my moving and all.

Dixit
Thanks for pushing Dave for MY headlamps. That's alright though, he hooked me up.

Good luck with the install!
Old 08-22-2001, 10:07 AM

Did this become a competition?

I think all of us appreciate the work Ice has done thus far & will continue 2 do .. & all the big jon will do! It's for the good of all 5th gen owners!

Tkx 4 your initiative guys!
Old 08-22-2001, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by ohboiya
Did this become a competition?

I think all of us appreciate the work Ice has done thus far & will continue 2 do .. & all the big jon will do! It's for the good of all 5th gen owners!

Tkx 4 your initiative guys!
No, it's not a competiton. Actually, I just told Dave B. to send them whenever as long as I get them before next Thursday when I head out of town.

It's just that LAST Friday I talked to Dave and he said he would mail them on Monday, then he calls TODAY and says sorry but he didn't mail them. Some guy "had" to have them by Thursday. Hmmmm. Sounds like BigDongJock or whoever. If not, sorry. It's all good though.

Update:
My install is looking more and more refined each day. I'm gathering all the parts I need, so it will be a PERFECTLY smooth install that will be as close to OEM as possible. Last, I should have access to a digital camera for some pics.
Old 08-22-2001, 06:12 PM
RussMaxManiac

Ice, LOTS I mean LOTS of detail pictures, and a big write up. I can post it on 5th gen max if you put it all together for you one evening.

Originally posted by IceY2K1

No, it's not a competiton. Actually, I just told Dave B. to send them whenever as long as I get them before next Thursday when I head out of town.

It's just that LAST Friday I talked to Dave and he said he would mail them on Monday, then he calls TODAY and says sorry but he didn't mail them. Some guy "had" to have them by Thursday. Hmmmm. Sounds like BigDongJock or whoever. If not, sorry. It's all good though.

Update:
My install is looking more and more refined each day. I'm gathering all the parts I need, so it will be a PERFECTLY smooth install that will be as close to OEM as possible. Last, I should have access to a digital camera for some pics.

Old 08-22-2001, 06:23 PM
RussMaxManiac

Wait a second. They have daytime running lights now?!

Also this makes very good sense to me. I can already put together in my head how to wire this puppy!!! I could do it in 30 min flat! I have installed so many foglight systems, on my trucks or cars, hehehe

Also, the HID stays on with the highbeams. This is very common, reason being it takes a bit for the HID to get full brightness, and they want to PREVENT turning them off with the highbeams because of this. They don't respond as fast when turning them on usually, they have more of a flicker then they kick on. Very normal. This is good..very good.

Ok. That's very helpful. Great job!!!

First, the easy part. I knew the HIGH beams were going to be independent of the LOW beams, however I didn't think Nissan would have BOTH on for HIGHs. I planned on doing this anyways for SUPER brights, so no biggie.

Second, the HID/Running lamp 3-pin connector. I guessed wrong. The center is negative and the outside 2-terminals are BOTH positive no matter whether the high or low beams are on. Right? I'm guessing, but I think one POSITIVE terminal is for the running lamp and the other POSITIVE is for the HIDs. Can have the running lamps on withOUT the HIDs? Adam, Did the running lamps turn on whenever the car was running, no matter whether the HIDs were on or not? They both MUST share the ground, so I'm not sure if they can work independently withOUT some relays turning on and off. This is starting to become clearer, but it's difficult imagining something I have only seen pictures of. Anyways, I'll chew on this tomorrow and think of anything else you might be able to help fill me in on. I just think I need to get the headlamp housings to figure out the rest of the details. Nothing is suprising yet, so I'm happy.

Again, Do the running lamps ONLY work when the HIDs are on? This doesn't seem how I would have wired them, but then again Nissan also "tried" to force the FOG LAMPS to only work with the LOW beams so I dunno.

Thanks Adam!!!!

Old 08-22-2001, 06:24 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Cont'd....

Eveyrthing you said is normal..... #2 and 2....

I know I may be getting ahead of myself, but here's what I think is possible so far.

First, 2-of-3 turn signals' wires will be spliced to the '02 housings to power the amber turn signals. Easy.

Second, we have a couple different ways to do this. Two are:
1)HIDs work ONLY on LOW-beams.
2)HIDs work BOTH on LOW and HIGH beams.

I like 2) better, but it requires more wires and two relays. However, it's VERY simple just connect the dots. Another reason I like 2) better is that since the '02s are this way, the 9005s which put out 60Watts and are probably not to bright and you need the HIDs to help.

Third, we have a couple diffent ways to do this also. Some are:
1)Always on.
2)On with side markers.
3)On with LOW beams.

I like 2) best and it seems the simplest way.

Old 08-23-2001, 05:33 AM

Wiring Diagrams

By the way Ice, if you need them, let me know. I was going through Alldata the other day and found a good amount of wiring diagrams for the 2000/2001. Unfort., my DVDs haven't come in with any 2002 info for Nissan yet (I'll probably be another quarter or two - bummer!) If the 2000/2001 stuff would help you at all, let me know and I can scan them and put them up or fax them or something.
Old 08-23-2001, 10:04 AM

Re: Wiring Diagrams

Originally posted by Pat DiPersia
By the way Ice, if you need them, let me know. I was going through Alldata the other day and found a good amount of wiring diagrams for the 2000/2001. Unfort., my DVDs haven't come in with any 2002 info for Nissan yet (I'll probably be another quarter or two - bummer!) If the 2000/2001 stuff would help you at all, let me know and I can scan them and put them up or fax them or something.
I believe I have all the diagrams I can handle or need for the HIDs. However, I'm wodering what diagrams you got from Alldata. Do you have to pay to get those diagrams? If not, send me the link.

Please, let me know when you get the 2K2 diagrams, so I can see what else I can "swap" to the 2K1.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:19 AM

I just thought of this. The current Infinite I30s have HIDs already. Why not check the wiring on those. And also see if the HID low beams stay on with the highs? I'm sure by doing that it'll answer many questions on how the whole assembly works. Any current 2k, 2k1 I30 owners want to share some info? Since Infinite's are Nissan products, why wouldn't they make them work similar.
Old 08-24-2001, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by young1976
I just thought of this. The current Infinite I30s have HIDs already. Why not check the wiring on those. And also see if the HID low beams stay on with the highs? I'm sure by doing that it'll answer many questions on how the whole assembly works. Any current 2k, 2k1 I30 owners want to share some info? Since Infinite's are Nissan products, why wouldn't they make them work similar.
According to Dave they are different part numbers.

You can pretty much make them work however you want, but it just adds a little time and parts to the install. So far, one option is having the running lamps on all the time OR with side markers. Another option is HIDs on or off with HIGH beams. If they're on, you will need 2-relays and 2-fuses and 4-5 wires per side.
Old 08-24-2001, 10:29 AM

One question here. Since the details of the wiring is being worked out. How about the switch itself. Will that need to be rewired or anything like that? Again this is really nice of u guys pinching in ur spare times to share ur knowledge. Great Appreciation from me and I'm sure many others. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 08-24-2001, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by nizmomx
One question here. Since the details of the wiring is being worked out. How about the switch itself. Will that need to be rewired or anything like that? Again this is really nice of u guys pinching in ur spare times to share ur knowledge. Great Appreciation from me and I'm sure many others. Thanks a lot guys.
No. The combination switch to the H4 plug on the back of the bulbs will remain the same. Then the wiring fun begins.
Old 08-25-2001, 12:16 PM

Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I supplied power/ground and the HIDs worked PERFECTLY!

They are an EXTREME white with a VERY slight purplish tint, but this is during the daytime so I will try again tonight to verify the brightness and color. I have NOT installed anything, so you may want to wait to order from Dave until I do the full install next weekend(If I get everything I need on Monday, I will try to install at least ONE on Tuesday after work) to make sure NO complications will arise.

I plan on buying EVERYTHING needed for the install over the next couple days, so you can be ready by the time the HIDs show up.

PLEASE do NOT blame me if you "jump the gun" on ordering.

ORDER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2001, 02:04 PM

Re: Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your efforts are highly appreciated! Do you think you can post some pics of how they will look and possibly some instructions on the installation? Once again, great job!

GC

I supplied power/ground and the HIDs worked PERFECTLY!

They are an EXTREME white with a VERY slight purplish tint, but this is during the daytime so I will try again tonight to verify the brightness and color. I have NOT installed anything, so you may want to wait to order from Dave until I do the full install next weekend(If I get everything I need on Monday, I will try to install at least ONE on Tuesday after work) to make sure NO complications will arise.

I plan on buying EVERYTHING needed for the install over the next couple days, so you can be ready by the time the HIDs show up.

PLEASE do NOT blame me if you "jump the gun" on ordering.

ORDER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2001, 05:20 PM

Re: Re: Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Cisco
Your efforts are highly appreciated! Do you think you can post some pics of how they will look and possibly some instructions on the installation? Once again, great job!

GC

I probably won't be able to get any pics up till next weekend, since I have to borrow a friends digital camera. However, I will post any news and pictures ASAP.
Old 08-25-2001, 05:24 PM

Re: Re: Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Cisco

GC
Beautiful rims dude! Tkx 4 the pic ...

do u get a lot of comments about the rims?
Old 08-25-2001, 08:38 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Great job!
Old 08-25-2001, 09:00 PM

ohboiya...

Thanks for the comment about my wheels. They might be up for sale; I'm looking at the SSR GT3's in 19". Any buyers possibly?

GC

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Great job!
Old 08-25-2001, 10:16 PM

NIGHT Impressions....

Holy $HIT! These things are AWESOME! They are a SUPER WHITE with a hell lot more intesity and a mild blue color. There is no YELLOW at all.

I definitely like these better than than the PURPLE Audi and Porche HIDs. Those HIDs are cool, but the '02s are closer to my taste. The beam is perfectly horizontal on top, so you can aim these things exactly to the height you want them. It's kinda hard to express the look, but I am definitely pleased with the color and look.

Dave B. made life a lot easier with all the connectors he provided. I still need to make the H4 female connector into a MALE connector, buy 2-relays/wire/wire connectors. If I had the time to wait I would order the Hella 30-amp relays now from: http://www.classicgarage.com/classic...ellarelay.html for only $5.96 it's a steal. I'm about to pay $11+ at a local performance BEND-YOU-OVER shop.
Old 08-25-2001, 10:34 PM

Re: NIGHT Impressions....

Dave B. made life a lot easier with all the connectors he provided. I still need to make the H4 female connector into a MALE connector, buy 2-relays/wire/wire connectors. If I had the time to wait I would order the Hella 30-amp relays now from: http://www.classicgarage.com/classic...ellarelay.html for only $5.96 it's a steal. I'm about to pay $11+ at a local performance BEND-YOU-OVER shop.
man .. I so don't know what you're talking about .. but I am pleased that it looks good ...

re: relays ... r u saying all of us waiting for your results should order these ahead of time?
Old 08-25-2001, 11:57 PM

Re: Re: NIGHT Impressions....

Originally posted by ohboiya

man .. I so don't know what you're talking about .. but I am pleased that it looks good ...

re: relays ... r u saying all of us waiting for your results should order these ahead of time?
What don't you understand?

For that price, YES!!!! I would definitely use 2-relays on some project and those are the BEST money can buy, so you can't go wrong.
Old 08-26-2001, 06:31 AM

So I'm a bit confused here. Whatever happened to people saying you have to upgrade your wiring since HIDs take so much to burn? It's been discussed before and I've heard people replacing all the wiring with a heavier gauge wire.

Or does it have something to do with where the ballast is located in the wiring scheme, and since ours is in the assembly, we don't have to worry?

Also, do we have any part numbers for this stuff? Mostly interested in the part number for the HID assembly. . .
Old 08-26-2001, 11:27 AM

So I'm a bit confused here. Whatever happened to people saying you have to upgrade your wiring since HIDs take so much to burn? It's been discussed before and I've heard people replacing all the wiring with a heavier gauge wire.

Or does it have something to do with where the ballast is located in the wiring scheme, and since ours is in the assembly, we don't have to worry?

Also, do we have any part numbers for this stuff? Mostly interested in the part number for the HID assembly. . .
The HIDs supposedly only use 35-Watts and the stock harness supported 60Watts, so I'm not concerned about upgrading the stock harness. However, I will run new wires for the 9005 HIGHs and NOT go with any smaller diameter wire than what the headlamp already has.

As for the part numbers, call Dave B. I believe from the looks of how things showed up, you can ONLY get the complete headlamp assembly which has EVERYTHING included. I'm not sure what you were planning on doing with just the HIDs, but they look like a NISSAN specific part.
Old 08-26-2001, 11:39 AM
RussMaxManiac

Put your hand in front of a HID light then in front of a regular halogen. One you will not feel the heat (hid) and one you will (halogen). The HID doesn't require anything off the system compared to halogen. Big difference.

Old 08-26-2001, 11:16 PM
a33

so does anyone actually know how much it costs to change the whole light
i know its 360 to buy the actual light, but are any other parts needed(like wires)
would it be done within 500?
Old 08-27-2001, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by chengkumcheung
so does anyone actually know how much it costs to change the whole light
i know its 360 to buy the actual light, but are any other parts needed(like wires)
would it be done within 500?
read the thread .. granted it is large .. but so far .. $380 for the lights .. $29 x 2 for the plugs / harness that Dave will supply (which btw are backordered) ... $5.96 x 2 for the Hella plugs / thingamajigoes that Ice said we needed ... u do the math ... it's 2 damn early 4 me ...
Old 08-27-2001, 04:04 PM
RussMaxManiac

Today on the way home from work I just saw 2 2002 Maximas SE's pass me! Both had the HIDs on! WOW Those are bright. It was raining and dark outside so I kinda got to see what it looked like!! I want!

Old 08-27-2001, 08:54 PM

OK has anyone done the conversion YET? i need to know how and detailed instructions if it is worth it! pelase let me know ASAP!
Old 08-27-2001, 09:16 PM

This Saturday, I will....

Originally posted by WILLSE
OK has anyone done the conversion YET? i need to know how and detailed instructions if it is worth it! pelase let me know ASAP!
I got EVERYTHING I need except the fuse holder(damn crappy parts store!) today. I will post ASAP with pics and a crude how to. Then after I get back on Monday or Tuesday I will post more details and put together a step-by-step.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:07 AM

Hey Ice

Thanks for all the hard work. We all appreciate this greatly, especially when it comes down to us having to do the install.
Old 08-28-2001, 10:17 AM

Hey Ice..

Thanks for going thorugh all the trouble. I'm pretty electrical illiterate, although I have installed a Speed Meter. So at the very least I can follow directions...lol. But I can't wait to see how the install goes, if it's not too hard, then I'm sure I'm one of the many that'll be placing orders in the near future.
Old 08-28-2001, 04:24 PM

i'm so excited now. i'm temped to just place the order with daveb now before i see the actual installation. but alas, financial discression dictates that i wait and see if i can do this without frying my car.
keep us posted, and thanks from me too for all the effort.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:26 PM

Well I guess they DON'T fit. At least without a HAMMMNER!

I'll see what I can do folks, but I think this is going to be a HARDCORE only mod.

So, I'm not sure I'm up to pulling out a HAMNER on her with only 6800 miles.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:10 AM

Re: Well I guess they DON'T fit. At least without a HAMMMNER!

Um whats that?

I'll see what I can do folks, but I think this is going to be a HARDCORE only mod.

So, I'm not sure I'm up to pulling out a HAMNER on her with only 6800 miles.
Old 09-01-2001, 10:05 AM

Hey Ice...Are you going to put up a "how to" for all us that don't know **** about wiring?
Old 09-01-2001, 11:01 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

He will

Originally posted by big h
Hey Ice...Are you going to put up a "how to" for all us that don't know **** about wiring?
Give him a chance...he is installing today, Saturday.
Old 09-01-2001, 11:09 AM

oops sorry..my bad!

Quick Reply: Guess What? '02 HIDs FIT!!!!