5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Rear Tails on my 2000-- Success!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 04:14 PM

Here's one picture. It's pretty easy. The hardest part is pushing out the tail light with the sticky seal. More pictures later. Going to the track now.

Added more pics...

http://paulwendy.com/maxima/2002tails
Old 08-17-2001, 04:15 PM

Not bad. Nissan has built some kewl lights for the max over the years.
Old 08-17-2001, 04:19 PM

They are groing on me a lil bit!

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
Here's one picture. It's pretty easy. The hardest part is pushing out the tail light with the sticky seal. More pictures later. Going to the track now.
Old 08-17-2001, 04:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They look pretty good. Except I dont think they will that good on my SuperBlack 2K1. I mean the smoked tails I got now match so nicely, and I dont want to screw up that look with some clear tails.

I guess I can save the $220 on some other mod.

PS. you should have wiped out the license plate, since it is a privacy issue and alot of people like me live in MD.

Dixit
Old 08-17-2001, 05:03 PM

hmm, how do you think they'd look on here:
Old 08-17-2001, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by Jeff2k1GLE
hmm, how do you think they'd look on here:
Arnt those the standard Smoked Tails from the SE?

Dixit
Old 08-17-2001, 05:10 PM

NICE!!!!

Good going, I think they look great! Thanks for showing the pics.
Old 08-17-2001, 05:16 PM

Nice install. Did you use some type of sealant when you installed them. They look like the SE tail lights. Only they have sort of like a clear lens over them. When you got them you got he whole unit right and not just the clear lens right....just out of curiosity.
Old 08-17-2001, 05:57 PM

On 2000 and 2001 the GXE and GLE had just regular red lights and the SE had the smoked lights. What about the 2002's? Are the lights the same for GXE, GLE and SE or is there a different one for the SE's?
Old 08-17-2001, 06:16 PM
Chillboy

that looks great paul! much better than your originals.

Old 08-17-2001, 07:00 PM

Off to the track? Those new tails are probably good for at least 5hp (each). Let us know the SOTP dyno results for this mod.

BTW, with those new tail lights, the TL/CL guys will also benefit- they'll have something new to look at after we pass them!
Old 08-17-2001, 07:03 PM

funny how some people are putting on 2k2 rears and people like myself(when i get my new 2k2) will be removing them and putting on 2k1 se rears!
Old 08-17-2001, 07:12 PM

Hey those look sweet. I think they would look pretty good on Grey Lustre
Old 08-17-2001, 07:48 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE
Hey those look sweet. I think they would look pretty good on Grey Lustre
I think they would look a lot better on Sterling Mist
Old 08-17-2001, 08:13 PM

Thanks. I think the look really good with Satin Blue Pearl. There some colors it does not look good with. I won't share this, since I don't want to offend anyone.

Privacy issue? I drive around with these plates all day long. There are part of the public record. I don't care if anyone knows my plate number.

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

They look pretty good. Except I dont think they will that good on my SuperBlack 2K1. I mean the smoked tails I got now match so nicely, and I dont want to screw up that look with some clear tails.

I guess I can save the $220 on some other mod.

PS. you should have wiped out the license plate, since it is a privacy issue and alot of people like me live in MD.

Dixit
Old 08-17-2001, 08:21 PM

VERY NICE!!

It looks good man...better than I thought! Ok, Ok, whats Dave B's TN# again?

Deac :vampire:
Old 08-17-2001, 08:23 PM

It came with a lot of sealant. I didn't even consider this when I bought it. I'm glad it came with it. It was a full replacement, not just the top cover. Light bulbs are even included.

Originally posted by Menacer

Nice install. Did you use some type of sealnat when you installed them. They look like the SE tail lights. Only they have sort of like a clear lens over them. When you got them you got he whole unit right and not just the clear lens right....just out of curiosity.
Old 08-17-2001, 08:28 PM

Anybody planning on putting them on a Sterling Mist? I think they might look very good....they look great on Paul2kGXE's car.
Old 08-17-2001, 08:41 PM

Added more pics. I will make an install page tomorrow.

http://paulwendy.com/maxima/2002tails/
Old 08-17-2001, 08:50 PM

Thanks. I think they will like great on Sterling Mist.

Originally posted by mdeal
Anybody planning on putting them on a Sterling Mist? I think they might look very good....they look great on Paul2kGXE's car.
Old 08-17-2001, 08:52 PM

I think they are all clear now.

Originally posted by JDOGG118

On 2000 and 2001 the GXE and GLE had just regular red lights and the SE had the smoked lights. What about the 2002's? Are the lights the same for GXE, GLE and SE or is there a different one for the SE's?
Old 08-17-2001, 08:56 PM

Actually, the more I look at them on the light blue color car, the more I think they would look better on a lighter car than a darker. I say this because the dark taillights stand out on a light car but blend in nicely with a darker color. However, these lights seem to be "lighter" and may blend in better with a lighter colored car.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:01 PM

Thanks. I think the look really good with Satin Blue Pearl. There some colors it does not look good with. I won't share this, since I don't want to offend anyone.

Privacy issue? I drive around with these plates all day long. There are part of the public record. I don't care if anyone knows my plate number.

what colors don't u think they wouldn't look good with? i myself am contemplating installing them on my 2k1 white SE. I'm not sure though because with thosw clear rears, you always run the risk of making your car look "cheap" (if u don't have the right color car) I think they would look sharp on the gray lustre and light blue maximas.. but i;m not sure if i see it on my white...
Old 08-17-2001, 10:13 PM

I think they would blend in with the white. I think they would look nice.
Old 08-17-2001, 11:25 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Looks good!!!
Old 08-17-2001, 11:49 PM

Looks good man!! I'm like the others, wondering whether to get them or not too since I have a white car.
Old 08-17-2001, 11:55 PM

looks good, like it all, but is there anyway to remove the chrome trim inside?
Old 08-18-2001, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
looks good, like it all, but is there anyway to remove the chrome trim inside?
I know you guys haven't gotten this far yet, but I wanted to remove the amber trim and go for a clear bottom w/ amber bulb like the 00 & 01 have.
Old 08-18-2001, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity

I know you guys haven't gotten this far yet, but I wanted to remove the amber trim and go for a clear bottom w/ amber bulb like the 00 & 01 have.
Now your talking ! Thats what i dont like on the 2k2 is the amber, i think the bottom clear looks wayyyyyy better.
Old 08-18-2001, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity

Yeah I was wondering about that too, amber lenses belong on 80s cars heh. But that looks real hot Paul2k
Old 08-18-2001, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by freeze00

Now your talking ! Thats what i dont like on the 2k2 is the amber, i think the bottom clear looks wayyyyyy better.
Where there's a will......there's a way!
Old 08-18-2001, 12:41 AM

where do u purchase it?
Old 08-18-2001, 01:30 AM

Hey Paul...
Congrats on your install ! And thanks for the pics! But what color Max's do you think the '02 tails would not look good on? Hey man you won't offend some of the people here. "Some" of us are adults and can respect your opinion.

The reason I ask is because I read somewhere that Dave B thought that they didn't look so good on his Icelandic Pearl Max. (The same color as my Max) Frankly, I think it would make a world of difference on a lighter colored Max..but that is just my opinion.. The SE ('00-'01) tails on a white Max look like black eyes to me. (again, just my opinion) And, I never did understand Nissan's logic with the fugly useless red glittery stuff on the GXE-GLE tails!

I will be ordering my 2002 Tails either today or Monday.
Old 08-18-2001, 05:36 AM
Got Bent?

looks good Paul!
Old 08-18-2001, 05:47 AM

If you think of this another way, 00-01 tails will fit on the 2002! Looks like I will be keeping my smoked SE tails on my 2002.
Old 08-18-2001, 07:40 AM

This just in....

I just ordered my '02 taillamps

David B wasn't there, but apparently they have more taillamps in already....

I should have them around Thursday.
Old 08-18-2001, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by warrlocked

Hey Paul...
Congrats on your install ! And thanks for the pics! But what color Max's do you think the '02 tails would not look good on? Hey man you won't offend some of the people here. "Some" of us are adults and can respect your opinion.

The reason I ask is because I read somewhere that Dave B thought that they didn't look so good on his Icelandic Pearl Max. (The same color as my Max) Frankly, I think it would make a world of difference on a lighter colored Max..but that is just my opinion.. The SE ('00-'01) tails on a white Max look like black eyes to me. (again, just my opinion) And, I never did understand Nissan's logic with the fugly useless red glittery stuff on the GXE-GLE tails!

I will be ordering my 2002 Tails either today or Monday.
It was me who said that about Daveb and his Icelandic Pearl car. The only reason he said it is because he went out to test the fit for us (high quality parts guy) on his car and only installed ONE and just said that he THOUGHT they might not look good on his car based on what he was looking at. But that's just his opinion. It's really up to what YOU want - you can't change things on your max to satisfy others.

For example, I have received my 02 taillamps and I am going to install them, even though the general consensus all of a sudden is that everybody thinks they will look ugly on a black car. So, if you want to do it regardless of what people say, then order them. If you want to wait to see how they will look , then wait - there's bound to be a person here who will install them on an Icleandic Pearl Maxima and you can just see what it looks like and then make your decision based on your opinion of those pictures.

And if you are the pioneer, I wish you luck because I hope to put mine on and take pics this weekend and we'll see how bad the backlash is.
Old 08-18-2001, 11:36 AM

Yeah! I wasn't sure if it was going to look good with Satin Blue Pearl. My plan was to install them and see how they looked. If the new tails didn't look good, I was going to sell them. I was really happy with my new look, so I'm keeping them.

Originally posted by blackY2Kmax

It was me who said that about Daveb and his Icelandic Pearl car. The only reason he said it is because he went out to test the fit for us (high quality parts guy) on his car and only installed ONE and just said that he THOUGHT they might not look good on his car based on what he was looking at. But that's just his opinion. It's really up to what YOU want - you can't change things on your max to satisfy others.

For example, I have received my 02 taillamps and I am going to install them, even though the general consensus all of a sudden is that everybody thinks they will look ugly on a black car. So, if you want to do it regardless of what people say, then order them. If you want to wait to see how they will look , then wait - there's bound to be a person here who will install them on an Icleandic Pearl Maxima and you can just see what it looks like and then make your decision based on your opinion of those pictures.

And if you are the pioneer, I wish you luck because I hope to put mine on and take pics this weekend and we'll see how bad the backlash is.
Old 08-18-2001, 11:43 AM

Re: This just in....

Cool! Hopefully you got the Dave B price, right?

Originally posted by warrlocked
I just ordered my '02 taillamps

David B wasn't there, but apparently they have more taillamps in already....

I should have them around Thursday.
Old 08-18-2001, 11:49 AM

Re: Re: This just in....

Cool! Hopefully you got the Dave B price, right?

Oh yeah Paul...$104.56 /side.

And by the way...what color(s) was it that you thought might not go to well with the '02 tails?

Also: Was it hard to clean up the sealer that was left on your car after removing the old taillamp??? I remember someone posting that you need to clean the old stuff off so that the new seal will seal properly. Any advice?

Quick Reply: 2002 Rear Tails on my 2000-- Success!