5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Greddy Catback..."The Final Frontier"...Got Pics of my Max on the lift too!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 07:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sup Fellas,

I know that I've been talkin alot of smack about getting my Catback custom done but...I went ahead and got the Greddy Catback anyway...."money aint a thang"!! errr sometimes. Here is my complete story. Hope this answers some of your questions about it!
Got it for $525 from a place in LINY and then I paid $80 bucks to have it installed at a performance muffler shop.
The mechanic there was real cool and he commented that rarely had he seen an aftermarket catback that fit so well...he was impressed because they didn't have to bend it or adjust it at all..."it was tailor made for the 5th gen Max". No rattles, no banging against other parts in the chassis. Oh yeah, and I had the Random Tech Cat put in at the same time. So now my whole exhaust is done from y-pipe to muffler.
Bees in a can you ask??? Well, it did come out a hell of alot louder than it was with just the y-pipe but not nearly as bad as what I read in the other thread. When the guy drove it off the lift, it sounded louder, not quite bees in a can, but pushing it. The sound is definately bearable...not as bad as some of those honda guys. Inside the car it sounds loud! I guess the cabin makes the noise echo alot more. But again to people outside the car, it dosn't sound bad at all!
I also noticed the power!! Before the Catback and Cat Converter, I would redline in second gear at about 60mph...after the Catback I dont hit redline until almost 70mph! I just got it done today so I'm still noticing different things.
I also took a series of pics of the entire exhaust while my car was up on the lift from y-pipe all the way back to the muffler so you guys can see what it really looks like! Unfortunately, (and this may sound dumb) but I dont know how to link my pics to this site so you guys can view them...Hell, I cant even get a pic for my Sig!! I Dont know how! I'm trusting that one of you kind souls will look out and explain how to do this for me because I took those pics for the "Org". Somebody e-mail me with the tutorial. I'd appreciate it and I'll get the pics on here before the weekend is out! Holla....

Deac
Old 08-17-2001, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by Deac
Sup Fellas,

I know that I've been talkin alot of smack about getting my Catback custom done but...I went ahead and got the Greddy Catback anyway...."money aint a thang"!! errr sometimes. Here is my complete story. Hope this answers some of your questions about it!
Got it for $525 from a place in LINY and then I paid $80 bucks to have it installed at a performance muffler shop.
The mechanic there was real cool and he commented that rarely had he seen an aftermarket catback that fit so well...he was impressed because they didn't have to bend it or adjust it at all..."it was tailor made for the 5th gen Max". No rattles, no banging against other parts in the chassis. Oh yeah, and I had the Random Tech Cat put in at the same time. So now my whole exhaust is done from y-pipe to muffler.
Bees in a can you ask??? Well, it did come out a hell of alot louder than it was with just the y-pipe but not nearly as bad as what I read in the other thread. When the guy drove it off the lift, it sounded louder, not quite bees in a can, but pushing it. The sound is definately bearable...not as bad as some of those honda guys. Inside the car it sounds loud! I guess the cabin makes the noise echo alot more. But again to people outside the car, it dosn't sound bad at all!
I also noticed the power!! Before the Catback and Cat Converter, I would redline in second gear at about 60mph...after the Catback I dont hit redline until almost 70mph! I just got it done today so I'm still noticing different things.
I also took a series of pics of the entire exhaust while my car was up on the lift from y-pipe all the way back to the muffler so you guys can see what it really looks like! Unfortunately, (and this may sound dumb) but I dont know how to link my pics to this site so you guys can view them...Hell, I cant even get a pic for my Sig!! I Dont know how! I'm trusting that one of you kind souls will look out and explain how to do this for me because I took those pics for the "Org". Somebody e-mail me with the tutorial. I'd appreciate it and I'll get the pics on here before the weekend is out! Holla....

Deac
Sweet man. Can't wait for the pics. As for putting them up, register a site with www.cardomain.com , then you can link the pictures from there and you can also use pictures in your sig. If you need help PM me.
Old 08-17-2001, 07:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sup Fellas,

Deac
and it's only going to get louder~~~!!!
Old 08-17-2001, 07:45 PM

huh?

Originally posted by irvine78

Are you serious? why does it get louder?
Old 08-17-2001, 10:04 PM

HUH?

Originally posted by irvine78

Louder? WHY?
Old 08-18-2001, 10:49 PM

Sup Fellas,

I also noticed the power!! Before the Catback and Cat Converter, I would redline in second gear at about 60mph...after the Catback I dont hit redline until almost 70mph!
Well you've got me on that one, Deac. Please explain how modifying your exhaust changed how fast you were going when you hit redline in 2nd gear.
Old 08-18-2001, 11:09 PM

Dunno How?!?

Originally posted by y2kse

Well you've got me on that one, Deac. Please explain how modifying your exhaust changed how fast you were going when you hit redline in 2nd gear.
I'm still learning and I may still be a bit ignorant when it comes to the how to's and why's of the mechanics of the whole exhaust mod thing but... all I can tell you is what I see. Red-line on the Max in at 7000rpm, since the mod, I'm at 60mph in 2nd gear at about 6000rpm....With the stock exhaust the engine was screaming at 60mph in 2nd gear and just over 7000rpm. I dont know how or why though....just the standard answer that this exhaust mod provides for higher flo and better performance??!?!? I may still be a novice but I know what I see and this is what is happening. Maybe the other guys who had the mod done can back me up and tell us what types of difference they felt.
I'll have the pics up too as soon as I figure out how to link them.

Deac
Old 08-19-2001, 03:45 AM

Hey Deac,

Can u let me know where u got it 4 that price? Phone #? Website?

tkx!
Old 08-19-2001, 07:41 AM

Re: Dunno How?!?

I'm still learning and I may still be a bit ignorant when it comes to the how to's and why's of the mechanics of the whole exhaust mod thing but... all I can tell you is what I see. Red-line on the Max in at 7000rpm, since the mod, I'm at 60mph in 2nd gear at about 6000rpm....With the stock exhaust the engine was screaming at 60mph in 2nd gear and just over 7000rpm. I dont know how or why though....just the standard answer that this exhaust mod provides for higher flo and better performance??!?!? I may still be a novice but I know what I see and this is what is happening. Maybe the other guys who had the mod done can back me up and tell us what types of difference they felt.

Deac
7000 rpm? Sounds like your tach might be off.
Old 08-19-2001, 11:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by y2kse

i don't quite remember how fast i could go in my car before my exhaust set-up, but uh...i tried gunning my car last night and i was able to push the car to about 67mph in the 2nd gear...just wanted to try this since Deac said that his car made it up to 70mph...

my car seems to be getting louder every day....maybe my cat is all punched out...
Old 08-20-2001, 05:25 AM

Ooooops!

Originally posted by ohboiya
Hey Deac,

Can u let me know where u got it 4 that price? Phone #? Website?

tkx!
Errr, I told you guys $525 for the catback but Its $575 sorry!! I got it from Paisley Automotive in Hempstead NY. They are listed as an autorized GReddy dealer on GReddy's website...check there for the TN#.
Irvine78 that speed is about right (67mph) after the catback mod. Can somebody with out this mod tell us how fast they can get up to in second gear? I know I remember a few guys on here saying they could barely get up to 60mph...Someone tell us just to clarify!

Deac
Old 08-20-2001, 06:23 AM
4drskyline

Re: Ooooops!

Errr, I told you guys $525 for the catback but Its $575 sorry!! I got it from Paisley Automotive in Hempstead NY. They are listed as an autorized GReddy dealer on GReddy's website...check there for the TN#.
Check out this link for a Group Buy on GREDDY products. I was quoted a price of $477.88 shipped to me in ATL, GA.

http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=2992

Old 08-20-2001, 08:08 AM

Re: Re: Ooooops!

Originally posted by 4drskyline

Check out this link for a Group Buy on GREDDY products. I was quoted a price of $477.88 shipped to me in ATL, GA.

http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=2992
sounds gr8 dude .. when did u get this quote? would it still b valid & did u indulge in it?
Old 08-20-2001, 09:10 AM
4drskyline

Re: Re: Re: Ooooops!

Originally posted by ohboiya

sounds gr8 dude .. when did u get this quote? would it still b valid & did u indulge in it?
I got this quote last week and I plan to take advantage of it b4 the month is out! I talked to Adam {the guy that's in charge of the deal} and he said that even though the expiration date is tomorrow, he will renew the deal for another month.

I was originally concerned with how loud the exhaust was going to be, but.... what the HELL. I have a feeling that it will be a nice RICH sound.... nut 'buzzy' like some small-displacement four-bangers.

Old 08-20-2001, 09:16 AM

Re: Dunno How?!?

Deac
You can attach them from your local machine using the attach file option at the bottom of the post reply window. This is a little easier to use if you can't post the pictures on a webserver. The only drawback to attaching is that the forums lately seem slower that ****.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:20 PM

Re: Re: Dunno How?!?

Originally posted by Lumbee799

You can attach them from your local machine using the attach file option at the bottom of the post reply window. This is a little easier to use if you can't post the pictures on a webserver. The only drawback to attaching is that the forums lately seem slower that ****.
Ok Guys...since I couldn't figure out any other way to do it, I went ahead and set-up the free homepage they give you on cardomain.com. I have some pics of my car on there and a complete set of pics of the entire modded exhaust sytem for the 5th Gen, from y-pipe to cat converter to catback! Check it out, sign my guest book and let me know what you guys think. Check out my Homepage!!!

Deac :vampire:
Old 08-20-2001, 10:32 PM

damn.. 5th generation looks much better with body kits then 4th generations...
HMP!
^^
Old 08-20-2001, 11:09 PM

quetsion. . .can u use a different muffler with the greddy evo or do u have to use the one that comes with it? i really don't like the muffler tip. . .
LMK
Old 08-21-2001, 04:58 AM

pretty sure you can...

Originally posted by myktek
quetsion. . .can u use a different muffler with the greddy evo or do u have to use the one that comes with it? i really don't like the muffler tip. . .
LMK
I'm pretty sure you can use a different muffler with the GReddy Catback...it may require a little custom bending but I dont think its a big deal. Whether or not its worth it is another question! This catback is between $475 & $600 (I've seen prices ranging anywhere in between there unfortunately) so, to buy it, get rid of the muffler it comes with and get a different muffler would be a waste of money. If you dont like the muffler, you're better off getting a custom catback done and buy all the parts yourself...its cheaper that way too!

Deac