5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Slightly OT: Montanabahn...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2001, 01:54 AM

I've meant to post these ever since I saw Greg's2kGLE's altered "Speed Limit 575" pic in his sig.

Taken in 1996, before the Montanabahn was closed in '99. (I'll be out there again in two weeks. )

http://home.uchicago.edu/~kean/a969v...-basicrule.jpg
http://home.uchicago.edu/~kean/a969v-223-0623-mo.jpg
http://home.uchicago.edu/~kean/a969v-224-0622-mo.jpg
Old 08-19-2001, 06:26 AM

wait so does or doesn't Montana have a speed limit...and IMO reasonable and prudent is the same thing as no limit allthough others say otherwise
Old 08-19-2001, 06:27 AM

The speed limit now is 75 I believe.
Old 08-19-2001, 06:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Reasonable and prudent pretty much meant no reckless driving and stay under 120MPH. They pulled over Jay Leno for doing 120 and weaving.
Old 08-19-2001, 06:32 AM

damnit! I really want to try doing over 100 in my Maxima but in Connecticut wherever I go theres always Po-Po's and I'm too afraid of getting pulled over, ticket, points on my super low insurance, etc (i'm 16 so my insurance will go up alot after even 1 ticket) oh and tI think you have to go to some rehab clinic for speeders if your under 18 according to the drivers ed guy...
Old 08-19-2001, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Tanmann9
Reasonable and prudent pretty much meant no reckless driving and stay under 120MPH. They pulled over Jay Leno for doing 120 and weaving.
Well, that was the problem. The courts decided that "Reasonable and Prudent" wasn't well enough defined.

So in 1999, the Montana courts madated a speed limit. It is 75 now, but there's still only one trooper for every 100 square miles, or something like that...

It's the only time I've legally done triple digits.
Old 08-20-2001, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by KaxMaxSEAE
Well, that was the problem. The courts decided that "Reasonable and Prudent" wasn't well enough defined.

So in 1999, the Montana courts madated a speed limit. It is 75 now, but there's still only one trooper for every 100 square miles, or something like that...

It's the only time I've legally done triple digits.
ahhh **** 75! You guys find this funny but I want a place where I can go fast and not get pulled over!!!!
Old 08-20-2001, 08:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Try Germany.
Old 08-20-2001, 09:20 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by AdamK
ahhh **** 75! You guys find this funny but I want a place where I can go fast and not get pulled over!!!!
Easy...just drive on the highway a lot. I travel from southern Maryland up to southeast Pennsylvania almost every weekend visiting my girlfriend. All I do is just loaf around at about 75mph until I see some speed freak driving like a bat out of hell and then I just get behind him.

Any cop sitting up ahead will pull this guy over and NOT ME!!! muhahaha! And this has worked many times for me.

Just last night I was cruising on I-70W between Baltimore and Frederick going about 95-100 following some guy in a Mazda Millenia.

There's also a nice loooooong and flat stretch of road on the northern part of I-495 in Delaware where people fly like the wind. I've cruised at 100+ on two occasions there and hit 120 twice (racing a Saturn SL2 once, and another Accord the other time.)

And a few months ago I was travelling on I-70E (same stretch of road as above) and all of a sudden a Bimmer 3-series flew by me like mad so I nailed it and hit 120 again, but the Bimmer was going waaaaay too fast to keep up with so I shut it down and went back to a measely 100mph.

So you can drive fast pretty safely in bursts without too much risk of getting pulled over, as long as there's some other moron in front of you that any cop will see first

Never be the idiot out in front speeding like mad.

That's the surest way to get a ticket. It's happened to me, and it's happened to people that I've been following, but now I've learned and only go fast when I'm just folloing someone
Old 08-20-2001, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Easy...just drive on the highway a lot. I travel from southern Maryland up to southeast Pennsylvania almost every weekend visiting my girlfriend. All I do is just loaf around at about 75mph until I see some speed freak driving like a bat out of hell and then I just get behind him.

Any cop sitting up ahead will pull this guy over and NOT ME!!! muhahaha! And this has worked many times for me.

Just last night I was cruising on I-70W between Baltimore and Frederick going about 95-100 following some guy in a Mazda Millenia.

There's also a nice loooooong and flat stretch of road on the northern part of I-495 in Delaware where people fly like the wind. I've cruised at 100+ on two occasions there and hit 120 twice (racing a Saturn SL2 once, and another Accord the other time.)

And a few months ago I was travelling on I-70E (same stretch of road as above) and all of a sudden a Bimmer 3-series flew by me like mad so I nailed it and hit 120 again, but the Bimmer was going waaaaay too fast to keep up with so I shut it down and went back to a measely 100mph.

So you can drive fast pretty safely in bursts without too much risk of getting pulled over, as long as there's some other moron in front of you that any cop will see first

Never be the idiot out in front speeding like mad.

That's the surest way to get a ticket. It's happened to me, and it's happened to people that I've been following, but now I've learned and only go fast when I'm just folloing someone
Yah well thanks for the advice, my friends do that alot, however with my luck I'll tell you a little story that happened:

On one Thurday Afternoon I was coming back with my girlfriend from dinner. Theres a long stretch of highway with a 55mph limit here in Conn. Well I was driving ~60 and I see a long line of cars going at about 70 with a few in front speeding at about 80. So I pulled over into the left lane and was following the people @ 85 90. Well I'm we're driving around a hill and I see a cop on the side. At the moment I was doing like a lil over 80. At this point I'm VERY SCARED but we pass and nothing. There was about 4 cars right behind easch other at this point. Well about half a mile later there is another trooper on the side with flashing lights pointing at cars with big *** stick flashilight thingy to pull over!

The cops pulled over 6 cars total and ticketed 4 in addition to arresting a DUI case. I was lucky that i got a warning but...
Old 08-20-2001, 08:16 PM

Just a thought guys, but if there are 2 separate speed limits(one for day, and one for night), exactly who determines at what point day becomes night, and does that time change with the seasons and daylight savings time?
Old 08-20-2001, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by AdamK

Problem is, you live on the East Coast. Population density is really too high, roads too crowded. Take a vacation through Utah sometime if you want to see what the opposite end of the population spectrum looks like.

Got a track around you?

Might cost some bucks, but you might be able to rent one for an hour or two, sometimes even for a couple of laps.

You might be able to make a deal with a team that's rented it for a day for testing.

(Actually, the easiest way is probably to attend an SCCA drivers school at some track...)
Old 08-20-2001, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by blackmax2000
Just a thought guys, but if there are 2 separate speed limits(one for day, and one for night), exactly who determines at what point day becomes night, and does that time change with the seasons and daylight savings time?
Sunset. Sunsets don't know daylight savings time.

'Course, all the places I've been to that has separate day/night speed limits, it gets *DARK* at night, and you usually have your lights on long before it's really "night..."

(Yeah, yeah, yeah, definition is really vague. Sorta like my favorite, "Too fast for conditions.")