5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dyno Results... WTF??!!??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 03:42 PM
Got Bent?

Well, I spent the afternoon getting dyno'd before the UDP was put in. Lets just say the results were not what I expected. Current mods: OSCAI/K&N filter, y-pipe, RT Cat.

Max HP : 160???!!!
Max Torque : 172???!!!
SAE corrected....

huh? I don't get it... I didn't feel all that bad though after a guy with his Saleen SC'd Mustang dyno'd after me. His car is rated at 350 hp, but he was pulling only 260, and he had 4.1 gears too... so maybe the dyno was reading low. Anyhow, I don't know what to make of it I got the UDP put in and will get some runs with that done later this week. Any ideas guys? The plot looked normal, and the intake runner switchover occured at 5k rpm as it should.....
Old 08-20-2001, 03:54 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Woah... something's wrong. Why are all you East Coast guys getting wacked results? You, medicsonic, Max_Gator...
Old 08-20-2001, 03:58 PM

YES!! Another underpowered VQ!! Just playing. Seriously, that dyno is probably not corectly calibrated, you are at least 10 HP under where you should be. Do you have the option of running at another dyno? BTW, do the numbers intersect at 5252?
Old 08-20-2001, 04:07 PM
nc00max

Ouch, that's not good. But I think the problem lies with the dyno, not your car. You can feel some pretty decent power gains, right? You out to be about 25-30 hp more than that, at least from my own experience. I ran 181hp with a jacked up tranny, the car was hot as **** after driving from Va Beach, and that was at 6400 rpms, Medic can vouch for that. I'd take it somewhere else and see what you get.

Old 08-20-2001, 04:30 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

hey Nauman, wanna race??

just kidding

uhh...that's messed up. what place did you take it to and what kind of dyno was it? Was it a DynoJet dyno or something else??

It really does sound like the dyno is messed up somehow. It'd be one thing if just your results were low, but it was 2 in a row when the Saleen Stang dynoed waaaay low as well. I say this because one of my Accord V6 brethren had something similar happen to him, and one of his buddies with a BPU'ed Supra TT that was next in line after him. Both of their results were way low so they went someplace else and then they both got results that were more in line with what they should be getting. So the first dyno was messed up.

With your mods I highly doubt what you saw was "real" because after SAE correction 160 fwhp is more along the lines of a stock Accord V6!!!!

Try another place...
Old 08-20-2001, 04:30 PM

is this gonna turn into a salty coast vs west coast battle???
Old 08-20-2001, 04:44 PM

Law Suite Anyone??

Haha I think its time Maxima Owners get a law suite.

Owners of Mustang Cobra's and owners of Miata's filed a law suite a few years back ... I think WE should too ... cuz on the DYNO ... our Cars are NO Where near where they should be!!!!
Old 08-20-2001, 05:44 PM
Got Bent?

The dyno was done at Altered Atmosphere. The guys there did seem pretty knowledgable and they were all pretty cool. They did a great job installing the pulley afterwards... The dyno is a dynojet and it is actually all-wheel drive since these guys are Mits. 3000GT and Dodge Stealth experts. The guy with the Saleen 'Stang was really cool. He said he got Ford to drop a brand new engine in there after he cracked a cylinder. He was there to test the new engine out. He should have been pulling at least 300 hp easy with his 8 psi boost and the gears he had though. Anyhow, now that I have the UDP on, I will have to dyno at the same place to figure out what the UDP does. They owe me two more runs, since I paid for them already. I will get them in by the end of the week. I forgot to pick up the dyno plot, but the shape did look normal. The intake runner switchover was at 5.1k or 5.2k rpm and peak hp was at redline.

On the drive home, I did notice that the UDP made the engine a little more free-revving, especially down low. I didn't punch it from a stand still, but from a roll, it seems to downshift a little quicker and the revs climb nicely. The battery is unplugged now to reset the ECU. Tomorrow morning will be fun The RT Cat made the exhaust tone a little deeper and it sounds sweet after 4k rpm. Overall, the car feels a bit quicker than before, so I doubt the dyno numbers are right. But I guess I will know more by the end of the week
Old 08-20-2001, 05:49 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Old 08-20-2001, 06:08 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
you know what the funny thing is? I would have never gotten it dyno'd if MaxGator wasn't getting strange results after his UDP install. Ignorance is bliss.... or shall I say was....
Old 08-20-2001, 06:14 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

you know what the funny thing is? I would have never gotten it dyno'd if MaxGator wasn't getting strange results after his UDP install. Ignorance is bliss.... or shall I say was....
Old 08-20-2001, 06:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

maybe it's all that pollution thing....
Old 08-20-2001, 06:22 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

exactly...

Hey Steve: want to race? hehehe... want to meet up this week sometime?
Old 08-20-2001, 07:49 PM
nc00max

exactly...

Hey Steve: want to race? hehehe... want to meet up this week sometime?
Hey, I wanna go....make it for the weekend and I'll come up.

Old 08-20-2001, 11:23 PM

Hey Steve: want to race? :naughty hehehe... want to meet up this week sometime?
oh yeah...

NOW you wanna race me now that you've got your Y-pipe and UDP installed so that you have enough confidence to take me up on my previous offers before either of the two were installed and now that you're 100% sure that you'll smoke my @ss instead of being uncertain before, eh??

Wimp

Uhh...how bout I stall on you until I get my headers and ECU upgrade installed

Just kidding :-D

I'm game for a race anytime, bro :-) (I'm interested more in the science/engineering end of it regardless of who wins, anyways - we all know you'll smoke me, but I'm interested to see by how much :-D)

Although I'm probably putting down a whopping 165-170 fwhp vs. your dyno-indicated 160 fwhp + UDP now so I guess we'll find out if that dyno run was really bogus or not

Yeah, this week during the week is good b/c things are calm at work for once, and b/c I'm busy with the girl on weekends (sorry nc00max). Maybe Paul would like to join us too.

Tues, Wed, and Thurs are all good for me, but probably not Friday night (girl), and none of the weekend (girl), except maybe Sunday night but probably not (girl ;-D).
Old 08-21-2001, 12:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, I spent the afternoon getting dyno'd before the UDP was put in. Lets just say the results were not what I expected. Current mods: OSCAI/K&N filter, y-pipe, RT Cat.

Max HP : 160???!!!
Max Torque : 172???!!!
SAE corrected....
UMDMAXSE, where did you get it dyno'd since I am in the area?

Dixit
Old 08-21-2001, 04:54 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

UMDMAXSE, where did you get it dyno'd since I am in the area?

Dixit
Altered Atmosphere. They are on the edge of Old Town Gaithersburg. Check out their web site:

www.alteredatmosphere.com

they are a pretty big speed shop in this area. Just take exit 11 off of 270, turn right onto 355. Turn right on Chestnut street and then take a left at Meem Ave. right after you go over the railroad tracks. Turn into the parking lot on the left with all the hooked up cars....
Old 08-21-2001, 05:03 AM
Got Bent?

Steve: I think Paul is on vacation for the next two weeks.... lets meet up for lunch one of these days... drop me a line at my work e-mail... I know a few spots where we can 'test' our cars
Old 08-21-2001, 05:22 AM

Hey UMD did you dyno going reverse?
hehe
just joking.
I know back in december with just intake i dynoed at 179 so there is something wrong.

good luck in the future
Old 08-21-2001, 06:16 AM

Steve: I think Paul is on vacation for the next two weeks....
drats!

lets meet up for lunch one of these days... drop me a line at my work e-mail...
will do.

I know a few spots where we can 'test' our cars
muhahahaha!!!

cool
Old 08-21-2001, 06:59 AM

OK, now who's talking smack about us east coast guys???

I may have dyno'd lower after addition of UDP but I'm still at 193hp/189tq according to the dyno. Still, I think my previous dynos were more accurate 203.7/191

Who wants to drive down here and race in the heat!!! LOL

UMD thanks for dynoing - what gear did you dyno in? Also, what was the temp/humidity out there? I'm beginning to think that our computers may be retarding timing depending on conditions.

Madmax2k is going to redyno out here to see if we can confirm my weird dyno results or eliminate the dyno as a problem.
Old 08-21-2001, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by medicsonic
YES!! Another underpowered VQ!! Just playing. Seriously, that dyno is probably not corectly calibrated, you are at least 10 HP under where you should be. Do you have the option of running at another dyno? BTW, do the numbers intersect at 5252?
They may not intersect. One thing I learned from the dyno operator at my last visit is that they will only intersect if the operator forces the scales on the Left and Right sides (hp and tq) to be the same. Many times, the operator doesn't do this.

For example, Stillen in their supercharger plot on russ' website doesn't force the scales to be even so there is no 5252 intersect - it is higher. Of course, since it is Stillen, they misread the peak hp on the graph (made it higher) because of that confusion.
Old 08-21-2001, 08:25 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Max_Gator

UMD thanks for dynoing - what gear did you dyno in? Also, what was the temp/humidity out there? I'm beginning to think that our computers may be retarding timing depending on conditions.

the dyno was in third gear (auto). It was pretty hot and the car was sitting in the sun for a while. Maybe 85-90 degrees with moderate humidity. That probably made a difference plus the dyno was probably reading low as is evidenced by the low numbers the Mustang after me got. I will go get another run or two done later this week... will keep you posted