5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wanna go to a track to try out my 1/4 mile time for 1st time HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 03:02 PM

Hey guys. I'm thinking about maybe going to a track possibly Englishtown in NJ since its relatively close (anything closer, I'm in Connecticut). Anything I should know before I go? I'm 16 will they let me do it alone without parental consent? Do I need to do anything specific to my car? How much would 1 trial run cost me? Will all the "cool" people laugh at me and my stock max? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 08-22-2001, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by AdamK
Hey guys. I'm thinking about maybe going to a track possibly Englishtown in NJ since its relatively close (anything closer, I'm in Connecticut). Anything I should know before I go? I'm 16 will they let me do it alone without parental consent? Do I need to do anything specific to my car? How much would 1 trial run cost me? Will all the "cool" people laugh at me and my stock max? Thanks in advance!!!
Make sure to have long pants, lots of places won't let you race with out them. Being 16, I don't know, they might want to see your ID to make sure you are old enough to drive. And on your first run, don't go all out, run about 80% to get a feel for your car and for the track and know where the turn offs are. There's more but I am not much of a typer.
Old 08-22-2001, 03:49 PM

no one will make fun of your stock max....especially after they see what times you can run with it. I don't know about the rules of being 16 at the track. I was 20 when I went for the first time. The only tips I can give you are; you're gonna be nervous, so just try to take deep breaths on your first run and keep you legs from shaking Always go on the third yellow....you'll get good reaction times that way and have a better chance of beating whoever you're racing. Also...the track is MUCH more grippy than the road....you can literally dump the clutch at 2500.
Old 08-22-2001, 05:00 PM

wear long pants. don't be nervous, i know at the track i'm at you have to be 18 or have parental consent so you might wanna bring mom or dad along. get there early. bring a pen to fill out the tech card. you will get a tech card when you pay, fill it out and then get in the tech line (usually in the staging area - ask someone who looks knowledgeable). the guy will have you pop your hood and check the interior and then pass ya. then you gotta go and sign the consent form. then just get in the staging lines.

roll the windows up, leave your AC OFF. and punch it at the 3rd yellow. you'll be fine.
Old 08-22-2001, 05:12 PM

Yah well maybe if any of you guys were going to E-Town one day we could hook up, and maybe you guys could show me around and the procedures?!?!?!
Old 08-22-2001, 06:37 PM

I hear E-town gets real crowded. Get there as early as possible. Try and go when it is just street night (muffled vehicles only). I think that is like wed and fri nights. Check out www.racewaypark.com for schedule. And you need a helmet, but I think they have them there and they cost like $1 to rent I think. I still need to go to E-town or Atco raceway for my first time. Just go out there and have fun and no one will laugh at your car cuz you have ***** by just going there.