5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Gauge stuff...but not typical gauges

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 10:28 AM

I want to have an a/f gauge and maybe some other guages to display info but don't want to put them in the a piller. Ive tried to figure a place to put them but I can't mold them around the head unit either (don't ask). The best Idea I came up with was to do somthing rather extreame and would like to find somtihng more simple.
With that in mind a saw a heads up display in a sumit racing ad...it's defi vsd gauge set. I wondered what it acually diplays. However I still don't like the idea of having it sit on the dash. Is there a heads up diplay with a brain I could hide under the dash and mount the camra on the rear of the head liner and then tie in to other system things. has anybody seen anything like this? Is there a unit that dislays a/f boost etc in a din size box like all the turbo boost deivces out there? Theres no chance in hell im gonna mount some gauges in the piller but i'd like to have all info possible so when i change the pulley and do other things i can keep an eye on things.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2001, 02:13 PM

those head up displays usually display speedo, and tach. but now i think they do alot of other things.. they aren't cheap at all though. those come standard on sentra 180's here in taiwan real nice. kenwood also makes it as an add on peice for some of their decks. you can get add ons so it displays voltage and i think amp temp. it does track, and time.. real cool stuff but not cheap. i still like analog guages better.. you can drill holes under your airbag, or mount gaughes inside your glove box. another location would be where your sunglass hut goes. you could prolly fit 2 normal sized ones or 3 small ones. i'm going to build a (or planning to) guage cluster right above the ac vent. and put aruond 6 guages inside. air fuel, boost, oil press, egt, volt, fuel pressure.
Old 08-23-2001, 02:55 PM

I know there expensive I'm not worried about that. Have you looked at my sig..that stuff ain't cheap I don't want nothing to do with kenwood. My plan was to do what you where saying amp temp voltage etc along with the engine diplay stuff on a heads up display. I thought about the sunglass ccase but it will reflect off the mirror and bother me. As far as the gauge cluster above the airvent goes that to was my idea which is what i was saying is going to be extensive...that was the best idea i could come up with. I was just looking for alternitives.
Old 08-23-2001, 03:56 PM

what about that hks program they used in the fast and the rediculous? i've been looking for that thing for a long time but still haven't found it. an additional screen can be mounted in the sunglass hut with minor modifications to the casing. my friend hooked up his monitor up ther on his gs300 to use as a back up camera display.. i know what you mean when you want something extensive.. i too like to do real interesting customizing. i see the hks program more worth it because it can do feed back as well as i think engine management. as for the head up displays that are alreayd offered, i'm not sure on the quality and accuracy of those units, but they deff are neat.. maybe chop up the defroster vents a bit to fit those behind where the grill once went and do a band of mirror tint so it'lll reflect off better. instead of a banner of tint on the top do it on the bottom..n just a suggestion.
Old 08-23-2001, 04:44 PM

i was also wondering about the gauges... i thought of putting them ontop of the center console a/c vents... the flat spot there... but i didnt even see any gauge pods to fit there... i guess something custom molded would have to be done... i gotta measure it exactly and see how much room is there and how many gauges would fit... i also want to stay away from putting gauges on the piller... is there a program that i can use to monitor that kind of stuff with my laptop? that would be real cool... like if i could just plug my laptop into the ECU and see whats happening like the A/F ratio, EGT, fuel pressure and stuff like that... but still things like boost wont be able to be monitored through the ecu and will need its own wiring and stuff... but if it could be done through the laptop that would be sooo dopeeee
maybe we got some programers here who can come up with something... i think they could make a lot of dough with a program like... all the stuff is electronic now anyway so i guess that is something to look into...
Old 08-23-2001, 05:16 PM

My orginal plan as far as mounting gauges in above the air vents sort of went like this. cut the dash there remove where the clock was (now stereo status diplays) shrink the air vents and fiberglass around and mount the gauges then use the cut dash peice to cover them up. This would look kewl but would be extensive and cause air to blow harder there...not a big deal but still. There is plenty of room between the "clock housing" and the start of the plastic air vent tray to mount 3 accross.

I have not watched the f&F so im not real sure what peice it is your talking about it sound kewl and maybe what i'm looking for. Do you have any idea what it may be called...if your sure hks makes it then maybe we or I should email them about getting info on it.

The thing with the laptop has problems it could be dun but you could not moniter them easy going to the road saftly
Old 08-23-2001, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by max'n out

The thing with the laptop has problems it could be dun but you could not moniter them easy going to the road saftly

what u mean?
Old 08-23-2001, 05:25 PM

You'd have to look down at your lap top on the pasenger seat...unless he's talking about in car computers which would have a tv moniter in it. Looking at the passenger seat to see how everything is while driving ain't very safe...worst then talking on the cell phone.

Originally posted by psing23

what u mean?
Old 08-23-2001, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by max'n out
You'd have to look down at your lap top on the pasenger seat...unless he's talking about in car computers which would have a tv moniter in it. Looking at the passenger seat to see how everything is while driving ain't very safe...worst then talking on the cell phone.

ooo what kind of program is it? what kind of wire? i want it i want it
Old 08-23-2001, 06:22 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

... is there a program that i can use to monitor that kind of stuff with my laptop? that would be real cool... like if i could just plug my laptop into the ECU and see whats happening like the A/F ratio, EGT, fuel pressure and stuff like that... but still things like boost wont be able to be monitored through the ecu and will need its own wiring and stuff... but if it could be done through the laptop that would be sooo dopeeee
maybe we got some programers here who can come up with something... i think they could make a lot of dough with a program like... all the stuff is electronic now anyway so i guess that is something to look into...
Yes, OBD-II software will do this. Check here: http://www.baumtools.com/english/index.cfm and http://www.obdii.com . You can display it on your laptop or a PALM pilot that you mount on your dash. I think a 5-7" LCD screen on the dash where the clock is with your laptop running under the seat would be ideal. I know some laptops have an output you can use to diplay on an LCD.

It's $350 for the PALM software and I've seen a Group Buy link somewhere on this board for OBD-II software on the laptop for around $100.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:05 AM

where can i buy the one for our Nissan from and that will work with my laptop? the only price i saw was over $500... i dont think thats what the others paid for it...
Old 08-24-2001, 09:51 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

where can i buy the one for our Nissan from and that will work with my laptop? the only price i saw was over $500... i dont think thats what the others paid for it...
Here is a link describing what your getting:
http://www.obd-2.com/

Here is the forum I learned of it:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....OR+OBD2+OR+OBD

Finally, here is the website the Group Buy is from(Scroll down to see the ad):
http://www.tauruscarclub.com/

I sent the guy a PM for more information.
Old 08-25-2001, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Here is a link describing what your getting:
http://www.obd-2.com/

Here is the forum I learned of it:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....OR+OBD2+OR+OBD

Finally, here is the website the Group Buy is from(Scroll down to see the ad):
http://www.tauruscarclub.com/

I sent the guy a PM for more information.
i remember reading about the fast n furious display thing being made by hks on teh off-topic.net forum. and it went for around 1-2000 bux.. not cheap so i decided that was too much for me to spend at the moment since i'm still working on my multimedia system.