5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

"Service engine soon" warning light

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 07:50 PM

I just intalled the chrome gauge ring on my y2k (the speedometer). I believe I did nothing wrong with the installation or removal of all the connected wire and the speedometer itself.

Everything running like normal, however the "service engine soon" warning light stays on after the car has been started. I have no clue

I did try to remove the battery to reset the ecu for a few minute but the "service engine soon" light is still on.

anyone in this forum has any idea how to resolve this problem?
Old 08-23-2001, 08:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There seems to be a excess amount of us to have this damn light come on lately.

Changing the gauge ring did not cause this. It's only coincidental that the light came on after you made the change.

Check you gas cap, it might have not been properly closed the last time you filled up at the pump. It could also be some bad coils. To reset the ECU you might want to leave the battery unplugged overnight. Unfortunately this didn't work for me. My light is still on and I have an appointment with Nissan Monday morning to check it out. I'm having this checked out as well as having the Brake judder TSB and the Fuel cut TSB in hand.

Love the VQ....
hate everything else.
Old 08-23-2001, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by chilltownryderz
There seems to be a excess amount of us to have this damn light come on lately.

Changing the gauge ring did not cause this. It's only coincidental that the light came on after you made the change.

Check you gas cap, it might have not been properly closed the last time you filled up at the pump. It could also be some bad coils. To reset the ECU you might want to leave the battery unplugged overnight. Unfortunately this didn't work for me. My light is still on and I have an appointment with Nissan Monday morning to check it out. I'm having this checked out as well as having the Brake judder TSB and the Fuel cut TSB in hand.

Love the VQ....
hate everything else.
I heard the fuel cut TSB is only a temporay fix not a real fix, and it does reduce the fuel efficiency (according to one of the forum member) so I don't see any point of doing it.
Regarding the engine light, I will the ecu off from the battery for the whole night and tommorow I will hook them up again and see what happens otherwise, no choice bring them up to the dealer (I really hate that idea). I believe the gas cap is tight, but I will make sure in the morning.
Thank you and let me know the result.

Erwin
Old 08-23-2001, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by exunaja

I did try to remove the battery to reset the ecu
It's a lot less work to just disconnect it.

Old 08-23-2001, 10:17 PM

Had that happen on my Y2K, so I reset the computer. It came on again about a week later, so today I took it in to the dealer. Apparently the program in the ECM drops a line every now and again in the 2000 Max, mine read "Two-way Catalyst Problem" on the diagnostic. About a half hour later I was on my way again with a new updated program in the ECM.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:57 AM

"Service Engine Soon" warning light is off.
what a relief.... and the chrome ring they look awesome.

Thank guys.

Erwin
Old 08-24-2001, 11:52 AM

Just don't be surprised if it comes back within 2 weeks or so. The first time I disconnected my battery the light was gone for 2 weeks. Tried it again, gone for a week. Now I'm just gonna take her in to the dealer to have her diagnosed. I'll see Monday morning what the culprit is.
Old 08-24-2001, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by chilltownryderz
Just don't be surprised if it comes back within 2 weeks or so. The first time I disconnected my battery the light was gone for 2 weeks. Tried it again, gone for a week. Now I'm just gonna take her in to the dealer to have her diagnosed. I'll see Monday morning what the culprit is.
Thanks for the warning.
keep me update with the TSB
Old 08-24-2001, 12:45 PM

You may want to ensure you have everything plugged back up right. I had to wrestle with mine a bit getting that stupid sensor connector thingy back in place in those tight quarters.
Old 08-24-2001, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
You may want to ensure you have everything plugged back up right. I had to wrestle with mine a bit getting that stupid sensor connector thingy back in place in those tight quarters.
I think I did snap everything back in place no loose connection, I agree with you that is really tight.
Is your gauge ring is proprtionally spaces between them, because mine is not, there is smaller gap/clearance between fuel gauge and speed gauge and there are more space between the RPM gauge and the temp gauge.
I will see what is going to happens next