5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Warped rotors fixed...but they made me pay!! LONG

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 05:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well my rotors have been warped for some time now. Actually they've been this way for most of the time that I've owned the car. They were warped like 2 weeks after I picked it up on Sept 2000. Got it fixed April 10th and they felt warped again soon after. Now from April till present I haven't had the time to go back to the dealer cuz of my wacky schedule here at work. I made a copy of the TSB and went there yesterday.

At 1st I told the Service advisor that this is the 2nd time that I'm bringing it in for this and he said "No problem, we'll take care of you".
He then calls me over and tells me that the 1st time they did for free, they did it as an act of courtesy. This time I would have to pay $150.00 to have them cut. He wouldn't budge so in the end I said fine, I had to get them done anyway. Went out for a smoke and read the TSB. The TSB states that brake judder should be covered for 3 yrs/36,000 miles so I went back to him and showed him the bulletin. Don't worry mod's, I didn't tell him where I got it (TSB). He looked so surprised when he saw it. Didn't say a word and walked away. 10 mins pass by then the Service Manager comes back with this attitude. He said "This was taken care of April 10 and it's a one time deal". I was like "show me where on that bulletin where it states that". He seemed so offended that I even brought the TSB. He said "you come here with a bulletin and expect the car to get fixed for free?"

This guy really ****ed me off. Not once did I demand free service. I just asked respectfully whether or not the bulletin applied to me. We continued to exchange words for at least 5 minuutes then in the end I told him that he needs a class in anger management and customer relations. Guy's, I'm a Supervisor myself and no way do I talk to my customers in the manner in which he did. I wanted to grab him by the neck and pound his head against the desk so bad that I laughed out load just picturing the act in my head..lolz.

In the end I payed cuz I'm not going to further damage my brakes. I then called 1-800-nissan1 and they told me that the service dept is the one who determine whether or not the TSB applies. This basically means that I'm out 150 bucks. Guess I'm just gonna have to deal with it. But trust me, if my rotors go back within the next 6 months...this ***** Fu#$a is gonna get it.

My Service Engine Light Soon has been on for some time now despite the numerous unplugging the battery attempts. Well they reprogrammed the ECU and now the car feels great. No more bucking at low RPM's in 1st. It also seems to be alot smoother and pulls harder. Thats the one good thing that came from this visit to the dreaded Nissan NoService Dept.

Thanks for listening...just needed to vent.
Old 08-28-2001, 05:34 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hmmm so they machined the rotor twice?? I would be VERY carefull if that's the case. Rotors have a min thickness that should not be exceeded. My memory seems to say that two rotor machinings is about the maximum you can do.
In fact, I think it's the repairs that are supposed to have a xxx month/xxx mileage warranty. I mean it was fixed and the problem came back in xxx miles correct? I suggest also reading the documentation that comes w/ the receipt(ie.. back of it) It should list any repair warranties.

$150 just to get the rotors machined is a travesty. About 2x the normal amount.
Old 08-28-2001, 05:34 PM

What dealer in NJ?
Old 08-28-2001, 05:38 PM

Which dealer was it?

Let us know what city you are in and the name of the dealership. That way we'll all know who to avoid for service.

What I don't understand is, when a Nissan dealership provides warranty service for these TSBs, they are still getting paid by Nissan, so why are they being such punks about it? Do they not like the extra work?

Tanman
2000 Maxima SE Black Automatic
Old 08-28-2001, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Hmmm so they machined the rotor twice?? I would be VERY carefull if that's the case. Rotors have a min thickness that should not be exceeded. My memory seems to say that two rotor machinings is about the maximum you can do.
In fact, I think it's the repairs that are supposed to have a xxx month/xxx mileage warranty. I mean it was fixed and the problem came back in xxx miles correct? I suggest also reading the documentation that comes w/ the receipt(ie.. back of it) It should list any repair warranties.

$150 just to get the rotors machined is a travesty. About 2x the normal amount.
I hear you about the warranties but he said warped rotors is a wear and tear issue. He's basically implying that I have a heavy foot. I told him that the problem resurfaced not too long after they 1st fixed it be he said "How am I supposed to believe that?" This guy is full of BS. Like I said, if this happens again any time soon...I'm not gonna take it lying down.
Old 08-28-2001, 05:51 PM

Dealer is Rt22 Nissan. The guy I normally work with was out. He's usually real cool. The Service Mgr is Phillip Mastellone.

I think he was just offended that I had some firepower (TSB) with me and presented it after the fact that they said that the job is not warrantied. He said Nissan wouldn't pay for cuz the work was already performed April 10th. If something has a warranty for 3 yrs/36,000 miles doesn't it mean that if a problem occurs within that time frame it should be covered right? What's up with this ONE TIME DEAL BS!
Old 08-28-2001, 06:15 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Why do they have to do that to Nissan owners?

Nissan
Old 08-28-2001, 06:28 PM

Dealer Attitude

I know what you mean about dealer attitude. When I brought back my 2000 I30 to fix a stall problem I printed out a summary of the TSB which explained the problem. They gave me an attitude like how dare I suggest what's wrong. I told them to just do what the TSB says. They did and the problem was fixed.

Nissan needs to give the service dept some instruction on how to treat a customer. They can't assume we are all dumb and they are god. They need to realize the with the internet we can research problems. They shouldn't resent that, but unfortunately they do.

In my business my clients always present me with questions and their suggestions from their research from the net on what the problem is and I work with them. I don't act like they are stupid.

Nissan needs to wake up!
Old 08-28-2001, 06:44 PM
I'm needing a caw

Wait guys. TSBs are not recall. Only RECALLS are recalls. TSB(technical service bullitens) are designed to help the Nissan tech in repairs that have been done before. Ie.. Nissan techs sharing mechanical repair information(like tech write-ups on .org) BUT AND I STRESS BUT, the way the dealer is treating this guy is terrible(and typical, I've gotton the same). For the dealer to imply that this is some kind of rare occurance is bs. If it was so rare, why in the @#$% is there a tsb written up on it? Any repair that comes w/ a service warranty should be honored. According to the dealer, he can "fix" something and if it @%#s up again, hey too bad?!?! "Heavy foot" that's such bs. Ask him how he comes to that conclusion. So I guess a disportionate amount of Nissan year 2000+ Maximas have "heavy foots"!?! Yeah right. Ask WTF are you supposed to do. Spend $150 every 3 months and then spend $200+ on rotors 3 months after that? If you are so heavy on the rotors then why aren't the brake PADS all worn out also?? Ask him that!
Old 08-28-2001, 08:45 PM

Rotors

I have my own story about very same problem. It all depends on people you get serviced by. BTW on http://www.courtesyparts.com/A33_brakes.html the NEW rotor costs 69.79, it makes sense just to replace damn thing. I've got my rotors cut twice - didn't help for a long, only for next 4k miles. I was using torgue wrench and it didn't make any difference too. Last time I got THE JUDDER I got my hands on 2mkm resolution dial micrometer and mesured the wobbling on both rotors. One of them had about 300 mkm and another - less than 60. I know, that only thickness variation counts but I guessed that the rotor with bigger wobbling would have bigger thickness vibration. I was wrong - that only 60 mkm wobbling rotor was causing most of my judder, and it had very small thickness variation - less than 20 mkm. So the idea that vibration is caused by "hard" spots on the rotors started to make sense to me and I went with new ones, due to the fact that simple cut didn't help much. I had them cut "off the car", and I know that recommended way is "on the car" but trust me - it doesn't matter that much, my 300 mkm wobbling rotor was causing several times less vibration than another one. My new ones have this wobbling less than 30 mkm and of course, don't give any vibration at all (yet? ). Actually, I was going to replace only one of them but when I saw it - it seemed to be much better quality than my stock - even color, sort of black, that I decided to buy both. Surprisingly enough, my dealer changed his mind and replaced them under warranty . I also installed Porterfields R4S pads recently and love them. They dust more than stock and also noisier(not much) but what IS important for me - they behave the same way no matter how hard you were braking.

My 2c, Mike.
Old 08-28-2001, 11:02 PM

My dealer replaced my rotors before the TSB existed. When my brakes get hot or I do high speed braking, I get some judder. Oh well... I guess I'll go back to American cars next time.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:29 AM

I had the same problem with my brakes at about 17K. They basically gave me the same bs about wear and tear and how it's my fault. Because I have stickers on my car, a y-pipe, and intake and an exhaust, they assume I race the car. I do but I didn't tell them that. I told them It's all for looks at the car shows. Anwway they wanted me to pay some rediculous amount to redo to brakes and rotors and a bunch of other crap and we said no way. This is bs. We fought back and forth and in the end he says "well we checked the brakes again and found a small crack in one of the pads so we'll go ahead and warranty it." Had I not fought them on it I would have spent the money and they would have got over on me. Now my clutch went out at 30K and they pulled the same bs about wear and tear. We fought them again and lost and paid them 825 for new flywheel and installation of a centerforce clutch. 3 weeks later, that one goes out. Of course Nissan says it was a bad clutch so we're eating the costs of a second clutch and I still don't think we should have even had to pay for the first one. My experience has been TERRIBLE with Nissan. I almost have to say I wouldn't own another Nissan but I love my Maxima.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:07 AM

Why is the service department so difficult with warranty work? Maybe cuz they are limited on the amount of time they can charge to Nissan (they can't screw Nissan like they can screw us) or maybe because the service department and manager himself actually gets incentives or kick backs from corporate Nissan based on submitting a low number of claims. It's like other insurance policies, the claims adjuster works for the provider, not you. Any ex-service managers out there that wanna comment?
Old 08-29-2001, 06:22 AM

Nissan service needs to be better. Luckily for me, my service department does the TSB work but still with reluctance. Anyway, I can't believe Nissan pulls this garbage and makes you pay for clutches and rotors. If it is under warranty for that time period then the parts should last that long. I would recommend you write to your local Better Business Bureau or attorney general. I did for a deposit issue for a Toyota and actually got attention for it. The BBB knows what kinds of tricks dealers try to pull. Also, in MA, there is the lemon law. It goes something like if a part has to be repaired three times for the same thing in a year, it is consisted a lemon and the dealer may have to take the car back. Don't know if that applies to you but that's my two cents.

Lastly Nissan customer service should be more responsive for these things. Otherwise, why would you need a customer service department/1800number?......
Old 08-29-2001, 06:46 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Good to see so many satisifed customers.

Nissan Customer Care = oxymoron

And you all wonder why I say buy a TL......sure it's more $$$, but at least most Acura dealers have at least decent Customer Service.

I won't ever buy a new Nissan just for this reason alone.

BTW, are any of you members in the Minima Club? You may want to join.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

And you all wonder why I say buy a TL......sure it's more $$$, but at least most Acura dealers have at least decent Customer Service.

I'm member 214
Old 08-29-2001, 07:08 AM

Bill

I'm tired of Nissan. My next purchase will be under a different nameplate.

2 repairs to my slipping transmission
recurring rotor problems

Time to apply to the Minima club.

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Old 08-29-2001, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
Bill

I'm tired of Nissan. My next purchase will be under a different nameplate.

2 repairs to my slipping transmission
recurring rotor problems

Time to apply to the Minima club.

Welcome Paul!

Here's the link. Just respond with your number.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=60533
Old 08-29-2001, 02:51 PM
jaki30

Warped rotors

Need help! My sister has a 2000 GLE w/15k miles.
Dealer says rotors are warped and not covered
under warranty. What is the TSB everyone talks about?
How can I get a copy? How do you get Nissan to pay?
Is this a latent manufacturing defect?
Do I have to worry about my 01 I30?

Old 08-29-2001, 03:12 PM

Re: Warped rotors

Originally posted by jaki30
Need help! My sister has a 2000 GLE w/15k miles.
Dealer says rotors are warped and not covered
under warranty. What is the TSB everyone talks about?
How can I get a copy? How do you get Nissan to pay?
Is this a latent manufacturing defect?
Do I have to worry about my 01 I30?
Look at the "stickies" at the top of the forum. You can download one and take it in. Don't know about your I30??.
Old 08-29-2001, 03:19 PM

I have had the exact same problem with Habberstandt Nissan - Long Island/NY.

They did the TSB when my rotors warped at 11K miles (not happily mind you)

When they warped again at 21K miles they told me once again that I had abused the rotors and I had to pay to have them fixed.. yet I had over %50 of the pad left and I have never had my Camry or (don't laugh) Fiero have any problem in the last 10+ years of driving them. The Fiero lightning on fire was a different story altogether

I called Nissan to discuss the brake problem and they stated that the dealer is their eyes/ears and they wouldn't do anything. The rep also said "I have never given good will brake service".

Maybe I'll dump my Max next year and get a nice little WRX.
Old 08-29-2001, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by bry2kse
I have had the exact same problem with Habberstandt Nissan - Long Island/NY.

They did the TSB when my rotors warped at 11K miles (not happily mind you)

When they warped again at 21K miles they told me once again that I had abused the rotors and I had to pay to have them fixed.. yet I had over %50 of the pad left and I have never had my Camry or (don't laugh) Fiero have any problem in the last 10+ years of driving them. The Fiero lightning on fire was a different story altogether

I called Nissan to discuss the brake problem and they stated that the dealer is their eyes/ears and they wouldn't do anything. The rep also said "I have never given good will brake service".

Maybe I'll dump my Max next year and get a nice little WRX.
I guess I will join the warped rotor club too. At 12K, needed to turn rotors; dealer covered. At time I was told, "Rotors are under warranty FOR FIRST 12K miles." Recently, at 22K, I mentioned to dealer that my rotors may be acting up again. His reply: "well, we can't do anything unless there's a DEFECT. Normal wear and tear isn't covered, and that's your problem" So I of course remind him of my first experience, and he says: "Oh Yeah, Nissan will turn the rotors ONCE under 3yr/36K warranty, but not twice." And I smile, nod my head and say, "hmm. really?" We parted on friendly terms... for now. Something is obviously not right about our experiences. Anyone down for a class action lawsuit?
Old 08-30-2001, 03:59 AM
jaki30

DENMAX

Thanks. We will give this a try. Nissan customer
assistance is the pits!!!

Old 08-30-2001, 06:17 AM

You cannot safely cut rotors twice. It is a one time thing.
I hade the judd problem. the dealer ground them down.
It still was warped. I brought it right back to him and then they replaced the rotors. This solved the problem so far. The dealer didnt even suggest that I pay, They took care of it. The TSB states that they need to cut rotors on the car did they do that the first time?

Car dealers and reps will make many barriers for you to try and discourage you. Run through them. Document everything and carry a big file with their name on it. take photos and try to bring the car in a total of 5x for the same problem.
Then get them under the lemon law. I made chryler take back a truck under this law. They will make it really tough on you. Stick to your guns, bring a pocet recorder and tape the manager being abusive. In the end you will prevail over them. They sent me through 5 meetings with reps who accussed me of everything. I sat quitly writing everything they said, once in a while I would laugh outloud a little at them. Then the realized I wouldnt go away and they would be paying.
Go get them,
Fast Walker
Old 08-30-2001, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
If you are so heavy on the rotors then why aren't the brake PADS all worn out also?? Ask him that!
Such a great point...

Wish I thought of that at the time. I think that would have left him speechless.

After they checked the brakes the service advisor did state that the pads were in great condition.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Fast Walker
Stick to your guns, bring a pocet recorder and tape the manager being abusive. In the end you will prevail over them.
Next time I will be better prepared and equipped. I just hate this BS. They make you feel like you owe THEM something and that aint right. Believe it or not, on my way to work today....guess what? Judder. WTF?!?

I'm bringing a recorder this time. I'll keep you guy's posted.
Old 08-30-2001, 02:49 PM

I had my max towed from the dealership after they told me "they didn't screw up the installation", but that I ruined my 3 week old centerforce clutch. they wanted over a thousand dollars to put in a stock clutch. They had my car for a week and a half saying that they were checking it out to see what caused the clutch to fail. After almost 2 weeks the service dept. manager says "we dropped the transmission and checked it out and the clutch was bad or you ruined it. Theres pieces and debree all over inside the clutch." It's not our fault. So I said leave the transmission out and I'll bring a car trailer down and pick everything up. He says "oh we have to put the tranny back in to get the car on the trailer. It won't be done until 6 p.m or so." Whatever. so I pick the car up and naturally all the service people are gone except some 19 year old kid who is just there to have me sign for the car. I get the car home and my mechanic drops the tranny and when he does, the pressure plate and all kinds of little parts and pieces fall out of the fricken car. Now tell me this, had Nissan really taken the tranny out and checked the car, wouldn't those parts have fallen out then. If they did fall that means that nissan crammed all those little parts and pieces back in there and put it back together. I think Nissan is full of bs and I'm tired of hearing the "wear and tear" excuse. Basically its our word against theirs. They say wear and tear, we say no but they win. I'm all for the class action law suit. I will be calling Nissan America and letting them know about my clutch and warped rotors and all of the customer complaints that we have and this large forum that we have to discuss them on. Thank you maxima.org.
Old 08-31-2001, 01:44 AM

Wow, I'm really sorry guys....

That's horrible what they're doing to you guys with the rotors, and especially flipmode, man, I feel your pain...

fortunately I've had a good first service experience. They replaced my shift solenoid (I felt the tranny slipping from first to second) even though the mechanic didn't find the tranny slipping at all. I showed him the TSB as soon as I got there and he was pretty nice about it, just said "I have to check with the mainframe to make sure this applies to your vehicle" - and of course it did, they performed it as "Warranty" service... so at least Nissan isn't all bad.
Old 08-31-2001, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by flipmode_cali
I had my max towed from the dealership after they told me "they didn't screw up the installation", but that I ruined my 3 week old centerforce clutch. they wanted over a thousand dollars to put in a stock clutch. They had my car for a week and a half saying that they were checking it out to see what caused the clutch to fail. After almost 2 weeks the service dept. manager says "we dropped the transmission and checked it out and the clutch was bad or you ruined it. Theres pieces and debree all over inside the clutch." It's not our fault. So I said leave the transmission out and I'll bring a car trailer down and pick everything up. He says "oh we have to put the tranny back in to get the car on the trailer. It won't be done until 6 p.m or so." Whatever. so I pick the car up and naturally all the service people are gone except some 19 year old kid who is just there to have me sign for the car. I get the car home and my mechanic drops the tranny and when he does, the pressure plate and all kinds of little parts and pieces fall out of the fricken car. Now tell me this, had Nissan really taken the tranny out and checked the car, wouldn't those parts have fallen out then. If they did fall that means that nissan crammed all those little parts and pieces back in there and put it back together. I think Nissan is full of bs and I'm tired of hearing the "wear and tear" excuse. Basically its our word against theirs. They say wear and tear, we say no but they win. I'm all for the class action law suit. I will be calling Nissan America and letting them know about my clutch and warped rotors and all of the customer complaints that we have and this large forum that we have to discuss them on. Thank you maxima.org.
Sounds like another Minima Club candidate.

Most of you should be members.

Link to join:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?postid=470978
Old 08-31-2001, 07:39 AM

More guys should listen and take your advice. This is the best way to deal with uncooperative service departments. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the members on this forum are under 20, so it's harder to get respect from dealers. They just don't take younger people seriously. Might want to bring a parent with you. That, or be very assertive and don't let them talk you out of what you know to be right.

Tanman
2000 Maxima SE Black Automatic

Originally posted by Fast Walker
You cannot safely cut rotors twice. It is a one time thing.
I hade the judd problem. the dealer ground them down.
It still was warped. I brought it right back to him and then they replaced the rotors. This solved the problem so far. The dealer didnt even suggest that I pay, They took care of it. The TSB states that they need to cut rotors on the car did they do that the first time?

Car dealers and reps will make many barriers for you to try and discourage you. Run through them. Document everything and carry a big file with their name on it. take photos and try to bring the car in a total of 5x for the same problem.
Then get them under the lemon law. I made chryler take back a truck under this law. They will make it really tough on you. Stick to your guns, bring a pocet recorder and tape the manager being abusive. In the end you will prevail over them. They sent me through 5 meetings with reps who accussed me of everything. I sat quitly writing everything they said, once in a while I would laugh outloud a little at them. Then the realized I wouldnt go away and they would be paying.
Go get them,
Fast Walker