5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bolt-On TURBO kit for 5th gen- GAUGING INTEREST...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 06:18 PM

Could be interested. Like the idea of a Turbo. Put me down for YES! Watch me be able to TC my 2k2 before a f@ckin Ypipe is available.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:11 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Watching....

With much anticipation....best of luck to ya....
Old 01-02-2002, 07:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Okay, I am lost here, why is everyone hating on the STillen S/C?? What is so bad about it besides the $3500 cost?

MY 4DSC,
Now this turbo your are prototyping, you expect it to be able the same HP increase as a S/C? Got any links on exactly how it is going to work on the maxima?

Dixit
Old 01-02-2002, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Okay, I am lost here, why is everyone hating on the STillen S/C?? What is so bad about it besides the $3500 cost?

MY 4DSC,
Now this turbo your are prototyping, you expect it to be able the same HP increase as a S/C? Got any links on exactly how it is going to work on the maxima?

Dixit
People hate what they don't have and don't understand. Theres a few minor minor probs. And most of the time there to an extent install faults. The yes the cost. Bottom line it cost to mod a car. Listen to the fast and furious. "put 15g's in it and it will be fast as hell" "100g engine" It ain't cheap to do any good mod worth it to a car. The final reason is some prefer turbos to s/c cuz they have "free power" But some like s/c better cuz they don't have lag.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:56 PM

What about adapting the kit to fit the 3.5L V6 before doing the 4th Gen?
Old 01-02-2002, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Telus.net
I might!

Here are my worries:

- I have to upgrade my suspension/wheels to make my car withstand the newfound powre?

- Engine mounts, those things are a pain to install if I break them with the turbo.

- Reliability is still the question, emission, fuel economy, etc.

- stock auto <--------- Kev
you're buying a ser
Old 01-02-2002, 08:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by max'n out

People hate what they don't have and don't understand. Theres a few minor minor probs. And most of the time there to an extent install faults. The yes the cost. Bottom line it cost to mod a car. Listen to the fast and furious. "put 15g's in it and it will be fast as hell" "100g engine" It ain't cheap to do any good mod worth it to a car. The final reason is some prefer turbos to s/c cuz they have "free power" But some like s/c better cuz they don't have lag.
But basically you think MY 4DSC is going to be able to produce the same amount of boost as a S/C without killing the tranny on an auto max?
Old 01-02-2002, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

But basically you think MY 4DSC is going to be able to produce the same amount of boost as a S/C without killing the tranny on an auto max?
boost can be selected. You mean hp. And yes. Tourqe, prob not. Plus a turbo may cost say 2500-3000 but prob more like 4000 anyway to really to take advatage of it you need another 1-2g's in stuff to optimize it.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:29 PM

4DSC is this really gonna happen?....theres been a flood of empty promises on boost applications lately and im starting to get tired of it, no offence

I have a guy waiting for 5+g's on a custom turbo app...im just waiting thinking ill save someone money on someone elses setup....ill be waiting until 2003 at this rate:P
Old 01-03-2002, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by FastCougar
What about adapting the kit to fit the 3.5L V6 before doing the 4th Gen?
I second that Bro!
Old 01-03-2002, 10:26 AM

i'm totally in. . .i've been talking to ppl about turbo-ing my 5th gen. . .LMK! ! !
Old 01-03-2002, 12:29 PM
My 4DSC

You have a Stillen S/C and said that "s/c don't have lag".
Who are you kidding.
My turbo will have MUCH less lag than the Stillen S/C.

Old 01-03-2002, 12:33 PM
My 4DSC

after my kit is complete i will get my hands on the 2k2 and note the differences...i'd be shocked if there were that many people actually willing to completely void their warranty with 3 yrs left on it...but then again hey, i did when i put the stillen s/c on my car with only 8k mi on it... we'll see... first things first...

Old 01-03-2002, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by My 4DSC

You have a Stillen S/C and said that "s/c don't have lag".
Who are you kidding.
My turbo will have MUCH less lag than the Stillen S/C.
Hmmmmm. Yeah who am I to know what my car is doing.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:18 PM

Add one more to the list........

Count me in for the Bolt on Turbo kit mailing list. With your proto-type still in development, will the Tranny need any upgrades? As in the case of a S/C for an automagic, the tranny needs a Level-10 upgrade?
Old 01-03-2002, 06:36 PM
My 4DSC

Hmmmmm. Yeah who am I to know what my car is doing.
either you dont know what lag is...
or you're in denial...
because your car has lag....and lots of it...
if you had no lag your car would make max boost at 1500 rpm...
when in reality you probably dont hit max boost until 5500 rpm.

Old 01-03-2002, 07:21 PM

either you dont know what lag is...
or you're in denial...
because your car has lag....and lots of it...
if you had no lag your car would make max boost at 1500 rpm...
when in reality you probably dont hit max boost until 5500 rpm.
Don't make crude judgements. Not even remote of lag. What turbo makes max boost at 2000rpm? Just name me one car youve been in that does that. I have a friend that has a little frankinstein turbo. It barley moves till 3k. Thats alot of lag. My car as at least if not a good amount more power right as soon as you hit that gas and it really starts to pull around 3k...that is not lag. Thats normal.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:10 AM
My 4DSC

Don't make crude judgements. Not even remote of lag. What turbo makes max boost at 2000rpm? Just name me one car youve been in that does that. I have a friend that has a little frankinstein turbo. It barley moves till 3k. Thats alot of lag. My car as at least if not a good amount more power right as soon as you hit that gas and it really starts to pull around 3k...that is not lag. Thats normal.
ok so i guess its choice #1...you dont know what lag is.

Old 01-04-2002, 10:19 AM

ok so i guess its choice #1...you dont know what lag is.
I guess he doesn't.

For the uneducated "turbo-lag" is the "lag" or temporary loss of power (vs N/A) the car experiences while the turbo spins/spools up. As soon as the turbo reaches the point where it puts more power back into the engine (via forced induction) than it is robbing from the exhaust (due to the exhaust being restricted and the gasses being slowed by the turbo) the sensation of "lag" is gone.

Full boost might not be made until 3500 RPM or something similar, but lag can be nearly eliminated if you know what you're doing.

Stereodude
Old 01-04-2002, 10:41 AM

The term "turbo lag" refers to the amount of time it takes the turbo to spool up and start producing boost after flooring the gas. Since a turbo is exhaust driven, lag will always be present to some extent ... some turbo's exhibit less lag than others. Some so much so that it is perceived that there is no lag, but his is physically impossible since the turbo must spool up from exhaust gases and exhaust gases are not present when you floor it ... they come a split second later

So, if I floor it at 1500 RPMs and boost comes on at 2500 RPMs, then the lag exists for those 1K RPMs in between.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:49 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ah not to get inbetween your little love spat but I do believe the Audi 1.8T has either full or 80% full boost by 2000rpm. It's how they have such a linear torque curve.

I don't understand what the hype about turbo lag is in this discussion when we are talking about turboing an engine that already has about 10:1 compression already.

Old 01-04-2002, 12:59 PM

MY 4DSC-- We spoke through e-mail, i am extremley interested, and will watch this post closely. As for the turbo lag issue, My fathers 97 Saab 9000 Aero makes maximum TQ (252 Ft Lbs) at 1800 rpms. This is not necessarily the maximum 1 bar or 14.7 PSI of it's boost. That is made at approximatly 2700 RPMs. Hope this cleared up some questions.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:49 PM

I wish I could complain about turbo/sc lag
Old 01-04-2002, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by Stereodude

I guess he doesn't.

For the uneducated "turbo-lag" is the "lag" or temporary loss of power (vs N/A) the car experiences while the turbo spins/spools up. As soon as the turbo reaches the point where it puts more power back into the engine (via forced induction) than it is robbing from the exhaust (due to the exhaust being restricted and the gasses being slowed by the turbo) the sensation of "lag" is gone.

Full boost might not be made until 3500 RPM or something similar, but lag can be nearly eliminated if you know what you're doing.

Stereodude
I think thats basically what i said bob.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:25 PM
My 4DSC

I think thats basically what i said bob.
no...you said your stillen s/c has "no lag"

But some like s/c better cuz they don't have lag.

Old 01-04-2002, 06:10 PM
Maxima06071

Please

((This is a re-post for those of you that dont frequent the General Maxima Forum))

Want to gauge some interest in the development of a bolt-on Turbo kit for the 1995-2001 Nissan Maxima...

I realize many people are fed up with the quality of the Stillen Supercharger kit, especially the V2 & 5th gen kits, and I would like to offer an alternative...

Pricing can not be determined yet, as prototyping is not yet complete, but I would guess that the basic kit would be pretty close in price to that of the the Stillen SC kit...

Please post some feedback here & I'll try to respond to as many questions as possible...
I'm in. TurboCharger sounds much cooler the supercharger. and it recycles exhaust. unlike stupid superchargers that are paracitical Turbo all the way.
P.s.I hope you'll include an intercooler!

Old 01-04-2002, 07:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Please

Originally posted by Maxima06071

I'm in. TurboCharger sounds much cooler the supercharger. and it recycles exhaust. unlike stupid superchargers that are paracitical Turbo all the way.
P.s.I hope you'll include an intercooler!
Wow, a turbo and intercooler for the Maxima? If you can keep it under $2000, count me in!

NoOb
Old 01-04-2002, 07:12 PM

Re: Re: Please

Originally posted by Tanmann9

Wow, a turbo and intercooler for the Maxima? If you can keep it under $2000, count me in!

NoOb
You have to be joking!!! Keep it under 2k? The TC alone costs 3500 plus another 1.5 k for boost controllers , gauges, etc.... . TC has more moving parts since it operates using a turbine that is spun by the exhaust gasses escaping the pipe. Plus you have to get an intercooler to keep oil cool and a transmission cooler to keep transmission from overheating.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:50 PM
My 4DSC

Re: Re: Re: Please

Originally posted by 2Maxed-out4u

You have to be joking!!! Keep it under 2k? The TC alone costs 3500 plus another 1.5 k for boost controllers , gauges, etc.... . TC has more moving parts since it operates using a turbine that is spun by the exhaust gasses escaping the pipe. Plus you have to get an intercooler to keep oil cool and a transmission cooler to keep transmission from overheating.
The price will not be under $2000...thats completely unrealistic.
I'd guesstimate cost between $3000-3500 w/o an intercooler and $3500-4000 with an intercooler.
Not bad considering a non-intercooled Stillen S/C is $3900+ for the 5th gens.

BTW:
intercooler cools the air entering the throttle body, it doesnt cool the oil.

Old 01-04-2002, 08:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Please

Cackle, that's why I signed it "NoOb".

The price will not be under $2000...thats completely unrealistic.
I'd guesstimate cost between $3000-3500 w/o an intercooler and $3500-4000 with an intercooler.
Not bad considering a non-intercooled Stillen S/C is $3900+ for the 5th gens.

BTW:
intercooler cools the air entering the throttle body, it doesnt cool the oil.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:37 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I hope you guys don't become boost ****** and blow your trannies and motors.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:09 PM

no...you said your stillen s/c has "no lag"

Yeah it's the example I used saying basically My car has no lag with the s/c cuz the same amount of power before boost is there if not more. Vs my friends which has no power before boost at 3k which has lag. That explain what I'm saying better? ALong with what you said.
Old 01-05-2002, 10:31 AM
My 4DSC

Yeah it's the example I used saying basically My car has no lag with the s/c cuz the same amount of power before boost is there if not more. Vs my friends which has no power before boost at 3k which has lag. That explain what I'm saying better? ALong with what you said.
ok

Old 01-05-2002, 10:56 AM
C2MAX

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Yes, the Stillen SC sucks.

HEY KEV. WHATS WRONG WITH THE S/C? WHY DOES IT SUCK I WAS THINKING OF GETTING IT IN THE FUTURE. GOOD OR BAD IDEA? THANKS, RUDY

(SORRY BOUT THE CAPS)

Old 01-05-2002, 11:31 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by C2MAX

HEY KEV. WHATS WRONG WITH THE S/C? WHY DOES IT SUCK I WAS THINKING OF GETTING IT IN THE FUTURE. GOOD OR BAD IDEA? THANKS, RUDY

(SORRY BOUT THE CAPS)
Those who never owned a Stillen SC keeps saying it sucks, but they never had any experience with it. I'm just going with what other people say (hopping on the bandwagon).
Old 01-05-2002, 01:42 PM

Those who never owned a Stillen SC keeps saying it sucks, but they never had any experience with it. I'm just going with what other people say (hopping on the bandwagon).
So very well said.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:40 PM
Maxima06071

HAHAHA

I hope you guys don't become boost ****** and blow your trannies and motors.
Ha Ha " Boost ******!" Ha Ha Ha

Old 01-06-2002, 06:18 PM

Want to gauge some interest in the development of a bolt-on Turbo kit for the 1995-2001 Nissan Maxima...

I just finally saw the Stillen S/C installed on a car. I was not much interested because of price, and not much to play with in regards to boost.
I did notice the stillen does not use an intercooler. Is that correct? It looked like the intake comes in, goes to the S/C and around the hot engine bay through a tube into the intake. Do you plan on a intercooler? If so, where will it go? How much boost will you run? Whose turbo will you use?
It does not seem like the stillen S/C is designed properly, It may work, but not to it's best potential.
I also had read others posts, the the ECM does not like the turbo- what about fuel maps and all that electronic goodeis the cars of the late 80's didn't have (my bro's 87' Grand National)?
Sorry for all the Q's, just curious.
ZOOommmm!!!!
Thanks!
Old 01-06-2002, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by VQ30GTR

I just finally saw the Stillen S/C installed on a car. I was not much interested because of price, and not much to play with in regards to boost.
I did notice the stillen does not use an intercooler. Is that correct? It looked like the intake comes in, goes to the S/C and around the hot engine bay through a tube into the intake. Do you plan on a intercooler? If so, where will it go? How much boost will you run? Whose turbo will you use?
It does not seem like the stillen S/C is designed properly, It may work, but not to it's best potential.
I also had read others posts, the the ECM does not like the turbo- what about fuel maps and all that electronic goodeis the cars of the late 80's didn't have (my bro's 87' Grand National)?
Sorry for all the Q's, just curious.
ZOOommmm!!!!
Thanks!
Stillen does not sell it with an intercooler though you can add one custom. The "pressure pipe" comes back out of the blower under the intake pipe into the trottle body. Intercoolers typically are placed out front if it's an air to air intercooler or you can run an air to water in the engine bay. It runs pretty close to what it should. Face it not much room in there. You can change the pulley to run up to 20psi. Of course you can't run that much unless you change internals and alot of other things. But it's the same with a turbo. with the s/c saftly you can run 10-12lbs probley. 12lbs equates to about 140 hp gain over base line. Then you add an intercooler. Not bad.