5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k1 5spd vs 99+ Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001 | 10:01 AM
RussMaxManiac

I just had some fun with a GT stang...5psd. I was leaving work this morning taking a trip to our other location when this stang goes by me looking at my car (like he was checking it ou). Well, I enterered the road same direction he was going, and caught up to him and cruised right by him. I had to actuall down shift next to him and shoot around a slow truck and get back over, I think that egged him on a bit. Because he also got behind me behind the truck in a hurry. I turned right at the next intersection which was long and stabbed it. I saw him and he fishtailed behind me and let off. He stayed behind me for a good 2 miles till it opened up to a big 3 lane highway. I let him catch back up, and he got right next to me. I was like hmmm... So I was like hell with it, shifted down to 2nd at 50, and he downshifted then and we just both nailed it me slightly before he did. I got the jump of 1 car since I had the momentum already, but he did not pass me till I hit 4th gear again. LOL it took him that long to pass me! But he goes by and gives ma many many thumbs ups, and waved. I waved back and gave him the same!! I think I just impressed that guy. He had exhaust that is all I can tell.
Old 09-05-2001 | 02:18 PM
gamble302

you damn liar. any gt stang 5 spd would spank your car and you know it. you should maybe tell all the facts next time. how do you even know he had exhaust? do you even know what exhaust is for that matter? all i have to say is shut the hell up
Old 09-05-2001 | 02:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

Are you 100% sure ANY GT 5SP would beat a 2000maxima w/ 227 hp and 0-60 in 6.6? As I remember some of the mid-80's Mustang GT were not exaclty fast. How fast were the last 5.0 mustangs w/ the newer bodystyle?

Originally posted by gamble302
you damn liar. any gt stang 5 spd would spank your car and you know it. you should maybe tell all the facts next time. how do you even know he had exhaust? do you even know what exhaust is for that matter? all i have to say is shut the hell up
Old 09-05-2001 | 02:22 PM
PhatGuy

Here we go again!
Old 09-05-2001 | 02:23 PM
JET Speed Lab

... we dont need your kind on this forum gamble! go lurk somewhere else!
Old 09-05-2001 | 02:26 PM
gamble302

you just want me to leave because you would like to keep thinking that you are spankin gt's left and right, ive shut up long enough. maximas are cool, but they wont beat the new gt's unless they are nicely modded. i respect tastefully modded cars of any type, but when he says his car will beat a modded new gt, he's lying out his ***
Old 09-05-2001 | 02:36 PM
gamble302

yes you can beat the mid 80's gt's with the original govt regulated motors, but if you find one with more then $500 worth of mods, good luck beating it unless they bought tail lights. and pit an 80's gt with an 80's missan, see how that ends up. i'm not dissin maximas, because if i had the cash i would buy one in a second, they are sweet. i am just very mad at how this guy says he beat a modded 99 and up gt with his maxima thats not very modded. it was a pobably just another 6cyl driven by some goober who put on gt badges and dual exhaust just for looks. although if it was a modded 6 cyl he would also have had some competition
Old 09-05-2001 | 02:42 PM
JET Speed Lab

yes you can beat the mid 80's gt's with the original govt regulated motors, but if you find one with more then $500 worth of mods, good luck beating it unless they bought tail lights. and pit an 80's gt with an 80's missan, see how that ends up. i'm not dissin maximas, because if i had the cash i would buy one in a second, they are sweet. i am just very mad at how this guy says he beat a modded 99 and up gt with his maxima thats not very modded. it was a pobably just another 6cyl driven by some goober who put on gt badges and dual exhaust just for looks. although if it was a modded 6 cyl he would also have had some competition
o well.. guess we'll never know till we see it... looks like i'll be searching for a GT tonight but i doubt it.. already got in trouble last night for racing
Old 09-05-2001 | 02:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

Ah not to give you a hard time but how about a 87-88' 300z single turbo w/ $500 worth of mods. ie.. boost controller, intake exhaust? That is a 80's Nissan that should be putting down low-mid 200ish hp. Or even a 1983 280z w/ the same $500 mods? Or how about 810 rwd maxima w/ $500 worth of nos?

Old 09-05-2001 | 02:51 PM
gamble302

anyways this guy says he beat a newer 4.6 gt and if he really did, props, but i know he didnt. a little tip though, you can race the 96 to 98 gt's with their 4.6's all day long because those were the first years of the motor so they are friggin slow. the 94 and 95 are the same body style but had the 5.0 still so dont mess with them unless you think you can. in 99 with the new body style they finally made the engine worthy so they are much faster. you didnt hear it from me, but you can also race almost any newer (99)cobra because they were having troubles so they didnt even make them in 2000. dont race the brand new ones though, the way to tell is they have the ugly *** hood scoop now.

well if you guys want to know anything about fords in general, gimme an email or somethin. my friend sent me a link to this ferrys lies and i just though i'd shoot him down. well i'm on texasracingscene.com usually though, cause i dont own a maxima, im too poor.
Old 09-05-2001 | 02:53 PM

Where does it say that he beat the Stang? He said he got the edge on him a little and the Stang passed him when he was in fourth gear. He never beat it, he hung with it (that's how I understand it). And please don't flame other people when you weren't even there. I hate it when people always say "That never happened" or "you couldn't have beaten him". That's not what this place is for...
Old 09-05-2001 | 02:54 PM

hey retard....your cute little stangs aren't as fast as you think they are. I have YET to lose to a stang of any kind on the street (I haven't found a cobra that wanted to race me yet, so don't pull that one)....without using NOS too. I don't even need it. I was dead even with a 2000 5-speed from 40-90 when he let off. BEFORE NOS. With the NOS it's not even a contest.

Now I know you'll call my post BS, think whatever you want...I will be posting race videos soon....and if you see them you'll feel pretty stupid.
Old 09-05-2001 | 02:55 PM

You would be surprised

I never though I would beat a 6.6 Liter Big Block 78 Firebird.....but I did. That firebird could light the tires up in second and chip third...but sure enough I beat my cousin 2 out 3 races. It was amazing how similiar our cars pulled on each other! It was like we were glued together, and both times I beat him on the quarter it was less than 4 feet.

The five speed is pretty damn fast....and if it can pull on a big block....I believe his story.
Old 09-05-2001 | 02:58 PM
gamble302

what are you my mom? i'm just tellin it like it is, maybe some of you have brains, but most of you guys just sit around and pretend youve beat worthy stangs. you must be talkin about 6 cyls or something. half you dudes here need to get your heads out of the clouds
Old 09-05-2001 | 03:02 PM

what are you my mom? i'm just tellin it like it is, maybe some of you have brains, but most of you guys just sit around and pretend youve beat worthy stangs. you must be talkin about 6 cyls or something. half you dudes here need to get your heads out of the clouds
What car do you drive? Have you had experience with GT's? If we need to get our heads check, then why are you here?
Old 09-05-2001 | 03:07 PM

well to tell you about the mustang gt's. I work for ford so I know. From a roll at 50 the max is right in the power band. I've raced gt's before. The auto's get beat and the sticks are a challenge. If i'm right on with the shifting (from a roll) I can keep up. From a stop any stang will get you. The newer gt's have almost 300 tourque. You can also keep up with cobra's on the freeway when doing over 80. As far as mustangs go to race, its so hard to tell with those damn things. For stockers go this is how it is:

1. 88-93 stangs minus the 93 cobra, slow! 5-speed or not.
2. late 93-95 new body style but still same ole 5.0. In 95 there was an option to get the 4.6 or the 5.0 but you can always tell with those cause it says 4.6 on the side if it has the 4.6 (duh). And ohh yeah 215hp on those turds auto's run low 16's so an auto max should beat it (not off the line but will ceatch it) remember that tourque.
3. 96-98 gt - only in the 4.6 litre version but still really low on horsepower they ranged from 215-225. Sticks ran in the low 15's so good race with a stick autos were still real slow.
4. 99 and up they tuned the 4.6 a little better and ran 260 hp. Those were quite a bit quicker. The sticks run into the high 14's, so from a roll yes a max can keep up. So sucker a gt into racing from a roll. The auto's you will get beat off the line from a stop but you will ceatch it.

Its hard for me in the detroit area to get people to race me. All I ever get is people laughing at me cause i own a "grocery getter". if they only knew!

Oh yeah you can race 93-97 z28's and firebird formula and T/A automatics from a roll too. I was dead even. And if you find the right z's that don't have the performance suspension package, they have speed limiters at 104. I hit a service drive with a Z and just as we got on the freeway his car just died and fell back about 4 cars...lol I was dyin laughing. He was a little ****ed. So i slowed down and ****ed with him a few times just going past 110. He didn't think it was funny, but ohh well.

cya people,
Ryan
Old 09-05-2001 | 03:12 PM
gamble302

uh oh, now hes insulting me. i did drive a sleeper 83 t-bird project with a 5.0 but its flooded and worthless now. now im on the lookout for a 1st gen rx7 so i can throw a 5.0 in it. i know as much as ford in general as there is to know pretty much. dont doubt me. you guys are all in denial that a ford with about 3 grand total could spank just about any maxima. take an old fairmont futura for about 500 bucks, add a 300hp mild motor +150 NOS shot for another 2500, and youd be beat like a red headed step child. i dont know what kind of morons you are racing either.
Old 09-05-2001 | 03:15 PM

uh oh, now hes insulting me. i did drive a sleeper 83 t-bird project with a 5.0 but its flooded and worthless now. now im on the lookout for a 1st gen rx7 so i can throw a 5.0 in it. i know as much as ford in general as there is to know pretty much. dont doubt me. you guys are all in denial that a ford with about 3 grand total could spank just about any maxima. take an old fairmont futura for about 500 bucks, add a 300hp mild motor +150 NOS shot for another 2500, and youd be beat like a red headed step child. i dont know what kind of morons you are racing either.
Did Russ ever say that the guy had $3k worth of mods in that car? He only said exhaust...Hell anyone knows that a N/A Maxima will get spanked by a GT with $3k worth of mods. You better smell what you shovelin'.
Old 09-05-2001 | 03:19 PM
gamble302

you can race any automatic domestic you want, they are all slow as hell for the most part, except for the nicer gm's because they have a bad *** automatic now. ford still doesnt have one except in the explorer yet though
Old 09-05-2001 | 03:19 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well I could take a 1970 Datsun 510 and install a FJ20-T and go to town on your fairmount. 330 factory hp on 26psi(inconal exhaust valves) and 2300lbs. Add a bolt on 300z 3.9 LSD rear end and viola!

Old 09-05-2001 | 03:23 PM

get your hating a$$ off our forums you dumb ba$tard.
Old 09-05-2001 | 03:24 PM
gamble302

i didnt say a gt with 3k worth of mods, i said that it was probably an unmodded gt or maybe a ricey 6cyl. fairmont after weight reduction weighs almost nothing, should be a fair match for that old school nissan til it comes to handling, because the fairmont cant handle for crap. but the nissan prolly would cost more than 3k wouldnt it? thats why i want an rx7 though, 2300 lbs with 350 hp 5.0 is going to be tite(and it will be able to handle well too).
Old 09-05-2001 | 03:27 PM
gamble302

once again more futile personal attacks with no reason.
Old 09-05-2001 | 03:31 PM
I'm needing a caw

I would think some kind of turbo 4 cly would be better for such a swap. Even w/ alum heads, Ford V8s weight a ton. It's not that hard to get 350hp out of turbo 4s.

i didnt say a gt with 3k worth of mods, i said that it was probably an unmodded gt or maybe a ricey 6cyl. fairmont after weight reduction weighs almost nothing, should be a fair match for that old school nissan til it comes to handling, because the fairmont cant handle for crap. but the nissan prolly would cost more than 3k wouldnt it? thats why i want an rx7 though, 2300 lbs with 350 hp 5.0 is going to be tite(and it will be able to handle well too).
Old 09-05-2001 | 03:52 PM
gamble302

ive done lots of research on it, the 5.0 weighs about the same as the rotory does if you get aluminum heads and intake and wat not. check out http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/1stgenrx7fordv8.html and see what i mean, the guys they show are goobers, but oh well.
Old 09-05-2001 | 04:14 PM
RussMaxManiac

Did I say I beat him? Hell no. His car was loud as well. All I said it took him some time to catch up and pass me. There trap isn't that much more than ours is.
Old 09-05-2001 | 04:16 PM
RussMaxManiac

I never said I beat. He beat me...I was letting people know how he pulled past me.
Old 09-05-2001 | 04:19 PM
RussMaxManiac

Can we do a IP check on this guy to find out who he is and if he is another user on here? I think I know who he is....just by the way he talks. He can't even read the post right to see what actually happened. I have a good friend that has a 2000 GT stang. He use to own a Max. I know what those stangs can do. And I knew he would pass me, but I wasn't sure how fast it would take.

anyways this guy says he beat a newer 4.6 gt and if he really did, props, but i know he didnt. a little tip though, you can race the 96 to 98 gt's with their 4.6's all day long because those were the first years of the motor so they are friggin slow. the 94 and 95 are the same body style but had the 5.0 still so dont mess with them unless you think you can. in 99 with the new body style they finally made the engine worthy so they are much faster. you didnt hear it from me, but you can also race almost any newer (99)cobra because they were having troubles so they didnt even make them in 2000. dont race the brand new ones though, the way to tell is they have the ugly *** hood scoop now.

well if you guys want to know anything about fords in general, gimme an email or somethin. my friend sent me a link to this ferrys lies and i just though i'd shoot him down. well i'm on texasracingscene.com usually though, cause i dont own a maxima, im too poor.
Old 09-05-2001 | 04:45 PM

Another one... sigh...
gamble302, please go to the Type-S forum and bother those guys.
Why do you want to replace a perfectly good rotary engine with a V8??? The V8 is the same weight as a rotary engine? Yeah, right... Do you really know anything about RX-7s?
I have a 81' RX-7 with a rotary in it doing low 12's with street tires. Got your 5.0 engine and put your money where your mouth is...
Old 09-05-2001 | 04:50 PM
gamble302

you put a spin on your post makin it sound like you beat him. you didnt say he beat you. and to the dude with the rx7 runnin twelves, what the hell motor did you swap in, and how many 1000's did that cost you? rotory engines are tite, but they cost too damned much, its cheaper to swap in a 5.0 than it is to get a 13b swapped in and you actually get some torque along with more hp. 12's in the 1/8th or what, when my car is done i'll bring it, just give me a hollar and i'll be there
Old 09-05-2001 | 04:51 PM

...wow, two sides with outrageously opposing views.

a drag race with a 99+ GT vs a 00-01 Maxima 5spd. Hmm. My guess is the Mustang is winning. Why? Well, simple weight/hp ratios.

About a run on the fly...Different story. Russie's story isn't unbelievable. 2nd gear to 4th? With Russ leading and the GT doesn't pass till 4th.

I hear 99+ GTs run anywhere from low 14s, to high 14s. I've only seen high 14s...but, at 2200ft, what can you expect?

either way, good death.
Old 09-05-2001 | 04:53 PM

Hey gamble302, ok let say everybody here are liars and you are the smart one, what the hell are you doin here talking sh*t about the Max, you sound like a jaleous man who cant afford to buy one, if you are really smart just rent one and get the experience for a week-end and then we will have that conversation again. I guarantee you that if you do so you will change your mind, doing that will definitely proove that you are an intelligent open minded person otherwise, I will remember you as an idiot who has the IQ of a carot, the choice is yours but for now just stop talking about something you have no clue.

About Ford, what a piece of crap, I spended so much money fixing every Ford that I owned including stang, that there is no way I will buy another Ford in my life, there is an old addage about ford that give a good definition about it
( found on the road dead and fix or repair daily )
Bring any of those stang in the twisties and bye bye stang, these car are fairly fast on strait line but that's it.

Cheers anyway

doublea
Old 09-05-2001 | 05:00 PM
gamble302

boo hoo, bunch of cry babies. shut the he|| up already, i said my piece now stop harrassing my email with your gay a$$ replies. dont post anything else unless you have something new to say
Old 09-05-2001 | 05:10 PM

Now I know you don't know what the hell you're talking about... 12's in the 1/4 mile, you idiot!!! Anyone could have figured that one out... except you of course, ya lame a$$!
A 13b is straight drop in with no fitment issues and will bolt right up to the trany in the RX-7. V8 will need extensive engine compartment modifications, translating to $$$. What are you gonna use for a fuel & intake system? $$$ What trany r u gonna use $$$. How are u gonna route your exhaust? $$$ So which is more expensive now, dumb a$$!

Just FYI:
81' RX-7 Body
91' 13B streetport
Turbonetics T4
Electromotive TECII
HKS Intercooler
1/4 mile - 12.4 @ 107mph on street tires

Bring it on anytime buddy-boy!

I apologize to all the Maxima forum members for my outburst... but this guys is really getting on my nerves, plus he doesn't know wtf he is talking about. Uneducated and misinformed!!!

you put a spin on your post makin it sound like you beat him. you didnt say he beat you. and to the dude with the rx7 runnin twelves, what the hell motor did you swap in, and how many 1000's did that cost you? rotory engines are tite, but they cost too damned much, its cheaper to swap in a 5.0 than it is to get a 13b swapped in and you actually get some torque along with more hp. 12's in the 1/8th or what, when my car is done i'll bring it, just give me a hollar and i'll be there
Old 09-05-2001 | 05:17 PM
I'm needing a caw

Ah, not defending him or whatnot, but all of your questions can be ansewered by looking at the link he provided. Doesn't seem like a bs link to me. As I read it, the install is fairly easy(as easy as motor swaps can go anyway). I have heard of this(these) types of swaps before. The 5.0 has been dropped into Miatas, RX7s(as discussed), RWD older Volvos and others. The thing is, for a little more than the price of your TEC-II alone, you can have this swap done(as I understand it). Weight is not a concern also(in the link). 5.0 engines are pretty cheap so there you have it.

Originally posted by SFMax20SE
Now I know you don't know what the hell you're talking about... 12's in the 1/4 mile, you idiot!!! Anyone could have figured that one out... except you of course, ya lame a$$!
A 13b is straight drop in with no fitment issues and will bolt right up to the trany in the RX-7. V8 will need extensive engine compartment modifications, translating to $$$. What are you gonna use for a fuel & intake system? $$$ What trany r u gonna use $$$. How are u gonna route your exhaust? $$$ So which is more expensive now, dumb a$$!

Just FYI:
81' RX-7 Body
91' 13B streetport
Turbonetics T4
Electromotive TECII
HKS Intercooler
1/4 mile - 12.4 @ 107mph on street tires

Bring it on anytime buddy-boy!

I apologize to all the Maxima forum members for my outburst... but this guys is really getting on my nerves, plus he doesn't know wtf he is talking about. Uneducated and misinformed!!!

Old 09-05-2001 | 05:18 PM
gamble302

Originally posted by SFMax20SE
you moron the se has the 13b already, why swap it in. and the v8 fits in no prob, $150 for motor mount kit, but thats it. throw in a 5 speed with the pedal assembly from the junkyard out of a mustang. 5.0 and 5 speed will cost about 750, swap kit 150, special pan from the junkyard 50 maybe, misc **** 100 maybe. thats barely over a grand dumb $hit
Old 09-05-2001 | 05:23 PM
RussMaxManiac

Yeah my friend ran stock in his 2000 GT a 14.3! I was impressed. Then with just gears and intake he got it down to 13.5 with some practice!! Very very impressive.

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2
...wow, two sides with outrageously opposing views.

a drag race with a 99+ GT vs a 00-01 Maxima 5spd. Hmm. My guess is the Mustang is winning. Why? Well, simple weight/hp ratios.

About a run on the fly...Different story. Russie's story isn't unbelievable. 2nd gear to 4th? With Russ leading and the GT doesn't pass till 4th.

I hear 99+ GTs run anywhere from low 14s, to high 14s. I've only seen high 14s...but, at 2200ft, what can you expect?

either way, good death.
Old 09-05-2001 | 05:34 PM
gamble302

i told you i'm not crazy here. thanks for the support
Old 09-05-2001 | 05:41 PM

Yes Jeff92se... I'm sure it can be done... but not as easily and cost effective as dropping in a 13B. As for power wise... when I had a stock 13b with a carbuerator, I was running low 14s. That is pretty much the same as what they claim for the 5.0.
My point is, why? Plus this gamble idiot is just getting on my nerves, and he's just repeating what he has read... I've worked on a number of RX-7, including one of the fastest rotaries in the US owned by Ray Lockheed.

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Ah, not defending him or whatnot, but all of your questions can be ansewered by looking at the link he provided. Doesn't seem like a bs link to me. As I read it, the install is fairly easy(as easy as motor swaps can go anyway). I have heard of this(these) types of swaps before. The 5.0 has been dropped into Miatas, RX7s(as discussed), RWD older Volvos and others. The thing is, for a little more than the price of your TEC-II alone, you can have this swap done(as I understand it). Weight is not a concern also(in the link). 5.0 engines are pretty cheap so there you have it.

Old 09-05-2001 | 05:44 PM

13Bs only came stock in 84' and newer RX-7s... and GSL-SE models also did not go into production until 84'... so who is the moron now??? If you never worked on RX-7s, please don't make it sound like you know WTF is up, cause you don't. Get your facts straight before you post, dumb a$$!

you moron the se has the 13b already, why swap it in. and the v8 fits in no prob, $150 for motor mount kit, but thats it. throw in a 5 speed with the pedal assembly from the junkyard out of a mustang. 5.0 and 5 speed will cost about 750, swap kit 150, special pan from the junkyard 50 maybe, misc **** 100 maybe. thats barely over a grand dumb $hit

Quick Reply: 2k1 5spd vs 99+ Mustang GT