5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TCS - how do I know?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 05:06 PM

I bought a 2001 Maxima(used) about 2 weeks ago, but I'm not aware of all the options that came with the car. It's an SE model, with leather, automatic, sunroof, bose, etc.

My main questions though are:

1. How do I know if I have traction control system? I haven't been able to squeal my tires yet, and I was wondering if it's because of TCS or because I'm not flooring it hard enough?

2. How would I know if I have the in-cabin air microfilter?

Thanks for replies in advance! BTW, I'm headed to the nissan dealership tonight, and I'll have some more pics of the 2002 Maxima up and maybe a pic of 2002 Altima. They have one there, but don't know if it sold as of yet.
Old 09-05-2001, 07:23 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

if youve got TCS, there is a toggle switch to the right of the wheel against the dash. even if you have tcs, you should be able to squeal the tires. ive got a ae with the limited slip diff and you can punch it with tcs on and it will squeal then it catches and youre off. on gauge cluster, the tcs light is on the bottom far right. as far as the microfilter goes, just take a look at the window sticker if you have it. im not sure of the location or how the replacement goes.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by sloppymax
if youve got TCS, there is a toggle switch to the right of the wheel against the dash. even if you have tcs, you should be able to squeal the tires. ive got a ae with the limited slip diff and you can punch it with tcs on and it will squeal then it catches and youre off. on gauge cluster, the tcs light is on the bottom far right. as far as the microfilter goes, just take a look at the window sticker if you have it. im not sure of the location or how the replacement goes.
I got the in-cabin filter, I knew because it was on the sticker and because there was an extra note in the car showing where it was and how to replace it. I believe it is somewhere behind the glovebox.
Old 09-06-2001, 06:19 AM

If you do not have documentation for what came on the car, the only way to see if you have the filter is to take the glove box out. Here are the instructions for doing an install, which indicate exactly where the filter is located: http://www.courtesyparts.com/instruc...binfilter.html
Old 09-06-2001, 07:23 AM

You can always call Nissan Customer Service and give them your VIN#. They'll be able to tell you what options came with your car based on the code numbers used.