5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

$99 auto dim mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2000, 11:56 AM

Hey I found a place that has the auto dim mirrors only for only $99. I believe the url is lovecars.com. The mirror is the same manufacturer as the one who makes them for the i30.

For $99, they don't have the compass & temp display window (which I find distracting anyway), but it's the cheapest I've found so far. (and they're located right in downtown L.A. if you are in socal).

Oh, and one caution for those of you planning to install yourself: unless you're experienced in removing rear view mirrors, do the wiring yourself and pay someone the $20 or so bucks they'll charge to swap the mirrors for you. Otherwise, you could very easily end up with a shattered windshield.

-David

Here's the url directly to the $99 Gentex mirror:
www.lovecars.com/store/nvs.htm

[Edited by xydavid on 10-27-2000 at 05:00 PM]
Old 10-29-2000, 03:40 PM

just saw AE - it's the same mirror

hey.. I just saw the AE for the first time (nice!)

Anywayz, checked the mirror out... it's the same one I got for $99.. made my Gentex. Only slight difference I noticed was the texture of the Off and Auto buttons... that's about it. Other than that slight difference, it's the same mirror.

Old 10-30-2000, 09:28 AM

Re: just saw AE - it's the same mirror

How difficult is the installation?

Originally posted by xydavid
hey.. I just saw the AE for the first time (nice!)

Anywayz, checked the mirror out... it's the same one I got for $99.. made my Gentex. Only slight difference I noticed was the texture of the Off and Auto buttons... that's about it. Other than that slight difference, it's the same mirror.

Old 10-30-2000, 10:39 AM

Re: Re: just saw AE - it's the same mirror

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE

Wiring the mirror is cake... there's already an opening for the wires to go above the windshield. Then you just run them along, pop the a-frame pillar cover on the driver side off and drop them down to the driver side kick panel; ground one wire. Then just find a wire that's only hot when the ignition is on and tap it.

Now, after you do the wiring, I really would take it to someone to swap the mirrors. The mirror's locked in place by a spring clip and is released by gently inserting a screwdriver to put pressure on it. Then you have to very carefully slide it off the mount that is glued to the windshield. The instructions with the mirror will tell you that you need to replace the mount for Japanese cars, but the one on the Max will fit. The catch here is that the old mirror is often on there way tight and are a major ***** to take off, and it's very easy to shatter your windshield in the process of trying to remove the mirror -- even if you are careful. If you do the wiring yourself, it shouldn't cost much at all to have someone else swap those for you. It's worth paying $25 or so to someone experienced in doing that rather than risk buying a new windshield!

Old 10-30-2000, 12:28 PM
TommyBoiSxty9

Possible on 4th Gen/??

How would one do this with a 4th gen or how much would a place charge to do it (about)

Old 10-30-2000, 12:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: just saw AE - it's the same mirror

When I talked to Gentex, they recommended a $5 conversion kit that's used for most Japanese cars. Did you get that?

Wiring the mirror is cake... there's already an opening for the wires to go above the windshield. Then you just run them along, pop the a-frame pillar cover on the driver side off and drop them down to the driver side kick panel; ground one wire. Then just find a wire that's only hot when the ignition is on and tap it.

Now, after you do the wiring, I really would take it to someone to swap the mirrors. The mirror's locked in place by a spring clip and is released by gently inserting a screwdriver to put pressure on it. Then you have to very carefully slide it off the mount that is glued to the windshield. The instructions with the mirror will tell you that you need to replace the mount for Japanese cars, but the one on the Max will fit. The catch here is that the old mirror is often on there way tight and are a major ***** to take off, and it's very easy to shatter your windshield in the process of trying to remove the mirror -- even if you are careful. If you do the wiring yourself, it shouldn't cost much at all to have someone else swap those for you. It's worth paying $25 or so to someone experienced in doing that rather than risk buying a new windshield!

Old 10-30-2000, 01:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: just saw AE - it's the same mirror

It's really easy to find a hot wire. Haven't done the mirror install but for my radar detector we tapped into the sunroof's power. It has switched ignition power. Hope that helps.
Old 10-31-2000, 12:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: just saw AE - it's the same mirror

When I talked to Gentex, they recommended a $5 conversion kit that's used for most Japanese cars. Did you get that?

[/I][/QUOTE]

I think the conversion kit they're talking about is a new bullet to glue to the windshield. Most Japanese cars have a different sized mount, but the 2k Max is the same as the standard domestic one, so the new mirror will fit. Which is good because the windshield repair guy I talked to said they they don't even like changing those things out because it's hard to remove the old one without damaging the windshield (or burning flesh!)

I don't know about the one on the 4th gen. But either way, I'd let the experts change the mirror for a couple of bucks... just do the wiring.