5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

For those with warped rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 07:37 AM

For those with warped rotors

As many of you know....I just got new rims and tires! Before getting my new package I was b!tching about my rotors...and even considered having the dealership grind them again. After putting on the new rims all of my symptoms went away!!! I am very glad that I didn't spend 100-150 to get the rotors turned. So for those of you that still have the stock Bridgestone tires....this might be the culprit! Some tires go "out of round" very quickly...and it is hard to tell if it is the tires or the brakes that are affecting the car. Before putting on new rims I never thought that my wheels were out of balance. The car would ride fine until I needed to stop...then it was very noticable.
Old 09-20-2001, 08:33 AM

Re: Re: For those with warped rotors

Not true, mine still does it!

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

If the tires were the culprit, you would feel the vibration of a out of round tire all the time, same for an out of round wheel.
Your last sentence of "The car would ride fine until I needed to stop...then it was very noticeable." That statement kinda contradicts what you said about "out-of-round" tires ?
BTW I've worked on so many 5th gen brakes, that I know that even normal driving will warp them. I've turned so many brake rotors, I'm getting fed up.
Old 09-20-2001, 11:51 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

dunno...

I have an out of round stock toyo on the front right now (as shown to me by the tire shop).. the only time I feel it is at 90+mph (some of those long stretches in TX..) and when braking hard. My pedal does not pulsate to a stop or anything like a warped rotor. And the braking vibe goes away under 30mph. Again, its hardly noticable. It *feels* like a warped rotor at times, but doesnt act like one as you said (YIOK). All I can think of is that when the tire is on the front and you stop hard, more weight is transferred to the lopsided tire and the vibe is more pronounced.

I could see how you might think the brakes were the problem right off.
Old 09-20-2001, 12:21 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I'm sure you are and you do.. what I'm saying is that you are right, an out of round tire should not be mistaken for a warped rotor..

and that *my* out of round tire (or slipped belt) can at very specific times feel like a warped rotor, but its not..
Old 09-21-2001, 07:08 AM

This was my point!

Originally posted by TimW
I'm sure you are and you do.. what I'm saying is that you are right, an out of round tire should not be mistaken for a warped rotor..

and that *my* out of round tire (or slipped belt) can at very specific times feel like a warped rotor, but its not..
Yo..and Tim you both make good points. I am not an auto technician, so I make mistakes in my diagnosis sometimes.....and that is why I started this thread. There has been so much discusion about warped rotors that I wanted to bring this up. My symptoms were just like what Tim described. It would be easy for someone that does not work on cars everyday to make this mistake.