5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

NMAC Financed Max trade-in

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 02:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

NMAC Financed Max trade-in

Looking for people with NMAC experience and doing Max trade-in's for the 2K2. I am thinking of putting a deposit on a 2K2 to trade in my 2K1 AE for. I got an offer, if I stick with NMAC for the financing to, with no negotiation, get 1.5% over invoice on the 2K2. Anybody heard of this deal? Is it worth negotiating based on anybody's experience considering? I expecting pricing crap like when the AE's came out and dealers were jacking up prices by $3K just for kicks.

Also, what have you guys been seeing for trade-in prices on the 5th gens...particularly what you guys think an AE 5spd, loaded would go for. Just under 5K miles on mine...rather low mileage.

In case anybody cares, if I go for the trade it will be a late delivery 2K2 6-speed w/helical limited slip and all options including the nav system. I feel like a doofus for entertaining the trade-in less than a year and 5,000 miles into my AE...but I just like the car darn it.
Old 09-25-2001, 04:12 PM

Re: NMAC Financed Max trade-in

Originally posted by Michael98033
Looking for people with NMAC experience and doing Max trade-in's for the 2K2. I am thinking of putting a deposit on a 2K2 to trade in my 2K1 AE for. I got an offer, if I stick with NMAC for the financing to, with no negotiation, get 1.5% over invoice on the 2K2. Anybody heard of this deal? Is it worth negotiating based on anybody's experience considering? I expecting pricing crap like when the AE's came out and dealers were jacking up prices by $3K just for kicks.

Also, what have you guys been seeing for trade-in prices on the 5th gens...particularly what you guys think an AE 5spd, loaded would go for. Just under 5K miles on mine...rather low mileage.

In case anybody cares, if I go for the trade it will be a late delivery 2K2 6-speed w/helical limited slip and all options including the nav system. I feel like a doofus for entertaining the trade-in less than a year and 5,000 miles into my AE...but I just like the car darn it.
Why not wait until the 2002 model year closeout before trading. That way there may be end of the year specials on the 2002 or the 2003 redesigned Max may be coming out and you can check it out before making the same mistake again.
Old 09-25-2001, 04:23 PM

Re: Re: NMAC Financed Max trade-in

You're going to be taking a pretty big hit financially if you choose to do this. I would think it over even if $$$'s no object to you.

Originally posted by jkratzer

Why not wait until the 2002 model year closeout before trading. That way there may be end of the year specials on the 2002 or the 2003 redesigned Max may be coming out and you can check it out before making the same mistake again.
Exactly!
Old 09-25-2001, 07:26 PM

Why would you pay over invoice for any depreciating item. Your AE is as close to collectors item as its going to get. And look, I bet the price they quoted for your AE puts you in a loss position!

Wait a few months until the Altima outsells the Maxima, and then you will see lower prices and factory incentives. Logic shows, that most will look at both models with similar features and then go to the cheaper car, ie. Altima. Based on previous market trends, the Maxima will lose more value this year based on a similar product that now places within the same sizing and at a lower price point.

If you are still stoked on 2k2, then look to www.carsdirect.com or other www.kbb.com to see what the true price is and never offer more than 500.00 over it. They get dealer incentives and holdbacks on top of your 500.00 premium.

Old 09-25-2001, 11:25 PM

Re: NMAC Financed Max trade-in

Looking for people with NMAC experience and doing Max trade-in's for the 2K2..........

Dude, be content with your AE. You only logged in 5k miles and you probably don't know your car's full potential yet...

You will be a doofus for taking such a big hit for the trade in.
However, if $$$ is not a problem for you, well, that's a different story, but a doofus you'll be still...

I thought about trading my 2k SE before, but after doing most of mods myself, it's part of me now...besides, what cha gonna do when a "300hp" Maxima comes out, trade again?

Hey, can anyone show me how to make my tiny picture bigger?
I'm not very good w/stuff like that. I uploaded it from cardomain.
thanks.
Old 09-26-2001, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by killrwheels
Wait a few months until the Altima outsells the Maxima, and then you will see lower prices and factory incentives. Logic shows, that most will look at both models with similar features and then go to the cheaper car, ie. Altima. Based on previous market trends, the Maxima will lose more value this year based on a similar product that now places within the same sizing and at a lower price point.
Of course, that same theory will bring the trade-in value of the 2001's down, down, down.

I'm pretty sure I'm ahead on the current loan (depending on valuation of the AE), so the money I lose will be money I've already spent (which doesn't make it any less valuable, but still it will look better on paper). I paid barely over invoice on the AE and carsdirect price is $450 over invoice...the deal I was offered is $440 over invoice (1.5% of $29,375, the invoice of a loaded SE 6spd). So, I would get a better deal than CarsDirect is offering, plus I'd get NMAC Tier-1 financing.

Its all about trade-in value. Anybody got a good idea of what's being handed out for a 2K1 with 5K miles? If they're going to give me $10K on the trade, well then I'm not going to take that kind of a bath. I'm going to try to get a quote today from a local dealer.
Old 09-26-2001, 09:04 AM

I would keep the AE if I were you...especially the 5 speed. I would love to trade in or just sell and replace my leased 99 GXE, even lose the mods to get perhaps a Black AE...probably go more for the auto though. but that is the only option I would go for. They are worth keeping in my opinion.
Old 09-26-2001, 02:24 PM

Of course, that same theory will bring the trade-in value of the 2001's down, down, down.

Its all about trade-in value. Anybody got a good idea of what's being handed out for a 2K1 with 5K miles? If they're going to give me $10K on the trade, well then I'm not going to take that kind of a bath. I'm going to try to get a quote today from a local dealer.
Because the AE was a limited production piece you will retain some value that other Maxima's will not, but will not see it this quickly. But todays used lots are buying low because they cannot move product quickly. Why buy used at 8.5-9% when all NEW units are factory backed with financing. GM and Ford released 0% on 2001 and 2.9% on 2002 w/ 60 months. At the Bank level, I cannot even compete and have to rely on Home Equities to close the gap!

I bought from Carsdirect and got my AE under invoice, I got advertising dollars back, but carsdirect now sells at "market value" versus original offers of 250.00 over invoice. You can also still get A Tier credit rate from NMAC through carsdirect should they call you a better deal, call Vern and tell him what your willing to pay!

You will most likely hear $17k to $21k on your stick AE. I work closely with a local Nissan Dealer and write some of their paper. They would NOT sell an AE at invoice last year......yet they will currently sell me an Altima SE or Maxima SE for a couple hundred over cost. They want unit bonuses also which are only paid on quarterly sold units.

My recommendation is to hold the car based on a soft market, and look at next year to trade unless your getting robbed on your current rate. Best of luck.....and personally I think the AE still looks better than the 2k2.
Old 09-26-2001, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the opinions. I'm, honestly, surprised...From my past experience on this board, I expected an overwhelming push to do the trade from all you Maxima freaks.

If I don't do the trade, I'm going to consider the tail light upgrade since the little woman likes the 2k2 rear better than the 2k1 and her opinion counts. Don't know about the HIDS...don't really care so much and I like the bronzed lights on the AE. Probably will go back to considering mods if I don't do this trade.
Old 09-26-2001, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the opinions. I'm, honestly, surprised...From my past experience on this board, I expected an overwhelming push to do the trade from all you Maxima freaks.

If I don't do the trade, I'm going to consider the tail light upgrade since the little woman likes the 2k2 rear better than the 2k1 and her opinion counts. Don't know about the HIDS...don't really care so much and I like the bronzed lights on the AE. Probably will go back to considering mods if I don't do this trade.
Old 09-26-2001, 08:58 PM

By offering you Y2K at a lower price they'll make money on you on some other way. There's no way a dealer will give up the profit.
NMAC financing doesnt mean you get the lowest APR. I got my financing at 7.9% when special said 6.9%, no other way they'd had sold me the car. I betcha they "promise" 100% satisfaction by giving a "top-dollar" for trade-in, complete b.s.

You may be loosing up to $6K on this transaction. Do you really need it? Spend $3.5K on S/C and your car will be tearing up M3's.
Old 09-27-2001, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
I betcha they "promise" 100% satisfaction by giving a "top-dollar" for trade-in, complete b.s.
That is yet to be seen.
Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
You may be loosing up to $6K on this transaction. Do you really need it? Spend $3.5K on S/C and your car will be tearing up M3's.
Thanks for the pointer. The S/C has always been against my better judgement due to the stress it puts on the engine, but who knows.

I've been on this board long enough to have countless ideas on what I can do with my AE should I decide to keep in for the long haul.
Old 09-27-2001, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by killrwheels

You will most likely hear $17k to $21k on your stick AE.
Agreed. The best I have been able to stretch my 2k SE to is around $17k in trade. And, even then, they are burying negative equity.

Maximas depreciate VERY quickly due to Nissan's aggressive leasing and buying plans. (The MSRP is artifically high.)

Whatever you do, and Im sure you know this, make sure you negotiate the price of the new car and the value given on trade in seperately. Otherwise, youll never know what you could actually buy the new car for, and what you could actually get for your trade in.

In my opinion, the 2002 Max is going to be a lame duck. The engine is nice, but with body style changes upcoming soon, the 2002's will depreciate fast as well. When a manufacturer makes a "Limited Model", or "Anniversary Model", I am alsways leary. Its usually a means to boost sales of older models/designs that are about to become obsolete.
Old 09-27-2001, 08:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael98033
[B]

yo Mike if you are so knowledgable whats the point of you posting this thread? Please man do whatever you feel. Guys are just telling you it is stupid to throw away all the loot like if you will trade in for Y2K2.
Old 09-27-2001, 08:51 PM

My opinion...

I am in Canada and tonight I went to test the auto Max and Alti. My current car is a leased 1999 Max SE 5 speed.

First I tried the Altima. Looks good, the one I tested was an auto black SE. Felt agile, and fast. Handled well although I didn't push it hard around the corners. 1st gear shifted just after 4000rpm, and smooth at all gears. I like the short shift gated transmission.

Next I tested a white auto Max. Took the same road. Feels more luxurious, and a bit heavier. Correct me if I am wrong but in 1st acceleration seems slower than the Alti. At the top end I can't really tell the difference.

The Altima gets attention. Where I am at we don't get HID however!!? Didn't like the fact the Altima did not have fold-away side mirrors. The hood is not hydraulic either. Head room better than the Max by a bit.

The Max feels more expensive, and heavier/steady. One touch roof is nice, and the leather is better quality. HID is cool and other little details.

The price for the Altima 5 speed loaded is $32,400 before tax Canadian.
For the Maxima $37,988 or so. They said they will not move on the Altima price-wise. The Max is more negotiable. My lease is up next June and I figure it isn't a bad idea to go to the 2002 if:

- the new lease payment is not much different
- insurance is comparable
- not much financial obligations getting out of the current lease

Now I just have to deal with the above. If all is good I will decided whether the $5000 difference is worthwhile. Color-wise I like Majestic blue, Sunlid Sand, Sterling Mist, and Pearl white in that order at this point. Definitely will be a standard no matter what however.