5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

dropped it into neutral during a race and still won :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2001, 08:33 PM

dropped it into neutral during a race and still won :)

Last night, my friend Tyler asked my friend Chad to race him in his 97 Monte Carlo LS. Chad has a 00 Ford F-150. Lots of us head out, including another guy named John who was saying how his chevy truck has a 454 and how fast it is, to a strip of road we usually race on outside of town that is flat and 2mile long. Well we head out there and I had my friend with me in the passenger seat. I left it in 1st gear most of they way. There was a S curve before the road gets straight and I took it staying in 1st gear and John floors his loud *** truck. I gain on him but all of a sudden he just gains. Why? I was hitting my rev limiter. So Tyler and Chad line up. Two people in each vehicle with Ramzi, my friend who is in the truck, puts his finger out counting to 3. They both where off. I asked John if we should follow them. He says yes and goes off. I follow him in the other lane. He floors it and then I do. I start walking on him. Nothing special. I expected that. I accidentally dropped it into 2nd at 80mph. I'm hitting my rev limiter and I'm looking down to see why I'm not going. I see the guage light up "2." DAMN I drop it back into drive and catch up. It looks as though they are even. I found out later that they were both hitting their limiters at 109mph LOL. I punched it and stay right behind them. They slow down. We all stopped and talked for a couple of seconds, then Ramzi tells me that I'm next and that I am going to race Tyler. I was sorta reluctant to race because of my mistake earlier of dropping it in second gear. OUCH! We line up. We both had another passenger inside the car. Though my passenger was a 200lbs football player Vs. his 130lbs sortie. But thats ok, I figured. I punched it first and then he does a split second later. To my suprise, he was actually gaining on my until my revvs past 4,000rpms. I catch up and when it was time for my 1-2shift, I friggen went to far and dropped it into neutral with my engine screaming off the rev limiter I finally realised it and dropped it back into 2nd and go for it again. By the time I reach 85mph, I am catching up and pass him by the time I reach 100mph and his passenger and I waved at each other. I slow down as soon as I passed them and then passed me and went in front of me. We both get back into town first and Tyler asked why I slowed down. I said I accidentally dropped it into neutral. He says, "And you still ended up beating me. DAMN." The rest get back into town and my friend Ramzi says, "Loe, of all the people who would lose, I wouldn't think it would be you." Me and Tyler just laughed and didn't say anything about the outcome of the race.
Old 09-27-2001, 09:09 AM

Now that's why I don't manually shift my auto...I am afraid I will drop it into N and I think someone on this board blew up his engine doing that on the highway.
Old 09-27-2001, 09:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE
Now that's why I don't manually shift my auto...I am afraid I will drop it into N and I think someone on this board blew up his engine doing that on the highway.
Gated Shifter anyone ;-) ? ... I know, I know... oh well. Maybe something aftermarket will show up...