5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Test drove new Altima: Clutch/Tranny are terrible

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 07:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Test drove new Altima: Clutch/Tranny are terrible

I finally got to test drive the new Altima SE in 5-speed form. I will say that it is pretty quick (no salesman came with me), but the clutch and tranny really leave something to be desired. For starters, the clutch has a massive dead spot up high. At first I thought the cable was set incorrectly, so I got in another one and it was identical. And talk about a rubbery tranny. It felt like the oil in the tranny was molasses (sp?). It was a little better when warmed up and in motion, but still well below par.

Maybe it takes time to get used to, or it might get better with time/miles, but it felt terrible.

Prior to my Max, I had 4 Honda products that had fantastic clutch/tranny combos. Alot of people (here and in the car mags) said the Max's wasn't quite as good, but I disagree. My Max has a great combo. Smooth clutch engagemnet, effortless and crisp shifts with virtually no misshifts (even at red line under full load).

Bottom line, it seems as though Nissan worked really hard on the exterior and engine, but they let the rookie engineer design the clutch/tranny. It reinforced my decision to go with the Max.
Old 09-30-2001, 07:25 PM
PhatGuy

Re: Test drove new Altima: Clutch/Tranny are terrible

Yup well said! I agree 100%

Originally posted by MS 2K1 AE
I finally got to test drive the new Altima SE in 5-speed form. I will say that it is pretty quick (no salesman came with me), but the clutch and tranny really leave something to be desired. For starters, the clutch has a massive dead spot up high. At first I thought the cable was set incorrectly, so I got in another one and it was identical. And talk about a rubbery tranny. It felt like the oil in the tranny was molasses (sp?). It was a little better when warmed up and in motion, but still well below par.

Maybe it takes time to get used to, or it might get better with time/miles, but it felt terrible.

Prior to my Max, I had 4 Honda products that had fantastic clutch/tranny combos. Alot of people (here and in the car mags) said the Max's wasn't quite as good, but I disagree. My Max has a great combo. Smooth clutch engagemnet, effortless and crisp shifts with virtually no misshifts (even at red line under full load).

Bottom line, it seems as though Nissan worked really hard on the exterior and engine, but they let the rookie engineer design the clutch/tranny. It reinforced my decision to go with the Max.

Old 09-30-2001, 09:17 PM

Re: Test drove new Altima: Clutch/Tranny are terrible

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MS 2K1 AE
[B]
My Max has a great combo. Smooth clutch engagemnet, effortless and crisp shifts with virtually no misshifts (even at red line under full load).

Can't agree with you on this one. Although the shifts are short and clutch is light, you really gotta work this pedal (Mine is 2k GXE)Hondas much better, yep. I hope that by installing an aftermarket clutch in a few yrs It'll get better.
Old 10-04-2001, 06:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Comparing Trannies is not really fair

I agree that Hondas are much smoother, but it's easier to make a tranny to handle a limited torque 4 banger than it is to have the tranny handle the quite a bit more torquey VQ. Ever here how the clutch is on the 400 hp M5?? It feels like it weighs a ton. That has to do with the fact that the clutch has to deal with all that massive torque, so its got to be beefy.

DW
Old 10-04-2001, 07:00 AM

I think the max's clutch works quite well. I've never had a problem with it, a bit on the light side though. Drove a friend's M3 and that thing has massive grip. Unfair to compare though...
Old 10-04-2001, 07:06 AM
Banned

Any idea if the shifter is cable instead of rod? I know the new 2002 Maxima is going to be cable because they couldn't get rod to fit. I wonder if the '02 Max will be the same way.
Old 10-04-2001, 02:59 PM

Re: Comparing Trannies is not really fair

Originally posted by dwapenyi
I agree that Hondas are much smoother, but it's easier to make a tranny to handle a limited torque 4 banger than it is to have the tranny handle the quite a bit more torquey VQ.
DW
Used to have Nissan's 4-banger (Sentra). Cannot compare to similar Honda (Sivic)-shifts are poor and clutch is lifeless. Honda always had/have/(will have?) better clutch/tranny combo. Looks like Nissan just don't get it :-(

Let's see 6-spd Accura CL/S when it comes out. At this point I'm 99% sure it will have crisp&robust tranny with exelent clutch (much better than ours :-(
Old 10-04-2001, 03:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Comparing Trannies is not really fair

Yeah, the Sentra is a more fair comparison to the Honda manuals. Lucky Honda, they get the good stuff from the NSX. I'm sure the Honda guys are finding a way to shove that 6 speed tranny into the CL/TL. They managed to do it with the Legend before, so this should be interesting.

DW

Originally posted by Kostya

Used to have Nissan's 4-banger (Sentra). Cannot compare to similar Honda (Sivic)-shifts are poor and clutch is lifeless. Honda always had/have/(will have?) better clutch/tranny combo. Looks like Nissan just don't get it :-(

Let's see 6-spd Accura CL/S when it comes out. At this point I'm 99% sure it will have crisp&robust tranny with exelent clutch (much better than ours :-(
Old 10-04-2001, 07:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Comparing Trannies is not really fair

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Yeah, the Sentra is a more fair comparison to the Honda manuals. Lucky Honda, they get the good stuff from the NSX. I'm sure the Honda guys are finding a way to shove that 6 speed tranny into the CL/TL. They managed to do it with the Legend before, so this should be interesting.

DW

[/B][/QUOTE]
MS 2K1 AE, i can't understand why you dissing the new car cluth like that. The same way my car felt when i got it. It felt like i had no cluth, but that's how nissan built them. As far as i see the cluch is all the way up high, but that don't me it's a bull**** cluth. Mine dives the same way just like i got it from day one 45000 miles . bring it to me and i show you how to drive the new altima- bring it to me and i show what it can do. who on my side raise ur hands. Kev i don't wanna be a sicko, but i hate them dissing the new car like that....
Old 10-04-2001, 07:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Comparing Trannies is not really fair

Originally posted by Deven2kStickMax

MS 2K1 AE, i can't understand why you dissing the new car cluth like that. The same way my car felt when i got it. It felt like i had no cluth, but that's how nissan built them. As far as i see the cluch is all the way up high, but that don't me it's a bull**** cluth. Mine dives the same way just like i got it from day one 45000 miles . bring it to me and i show you how to drive the new altima- bring it to me and i show what it can do. who on my side raise ur hands. Kev i don't wanna be a sicko, but i hate them dissing the new car like that.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Deven;

Like my post said...the Max clutch/tranny is great...the Altima sucked. I drove two Altimas, hoping that the first was a mistake. Maybe both were mistakes, and the rest are good Also, as my post said, the Alty felt very fast. But for $26,000, the clutch/tranny should be better.

My Max felt like butter from day one...it's obvious to me that Nissan put more effort into the Max.

All I can say is that I was not impressed...drive one and then let me know what you think.