5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I traded my 2k SE for a Dodge Neon!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 02:14 PM

for 2 days at least

I dropped my car off at the dealer tonight to repair all the issues I have with the car.(Jeez I hope so)

Thought that I might get another Max to tool around in for a couple of days...ummmmm...nope. Good ole Enterprise dropped off a spiffy green Dodge Neon to be my wheels for the next 2 days....all I can say is "Oh my God"

21K on the thing and it sounds like a pos....shakes, rattles and rolls and I feel like I'm driving in a turtle shell....plus they stunk it up with some awful air freshner.

Seats are made out of some sort of foam that makes me feel like I'm on some sort of a life preserver...and that peppy 2.0 16v engine...ummm......well whatever

I lifted the hood to check out the plant and the rubber gasket at the back of the engine bay fell off!

Oh well its free so I shouldn't knock it but damn...I hope I don't get hit in this thing or it will be all over!

Ps no matter how much I put down my car I will never ever utter the word Maxima and Neon in the same breath again!
Old 10-30-2000, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by jnm2kse
Ps no matter how much I put down my car I will never ever utter the word Maxima and Neon in the same breath again!

Hey now, I loved my old car. Welcome to the world of three speed automatics. The only way that the Neon is fun is with the 5 speed. You would have had a lot of fun. As far as the rattles, mine wasn't bad for a car that smoked v6 accords. Oh well, she's gone and now i have my new love.

[Edited by xtantmaxima on 10-30-2000 at 04:45 PM]
Old 10-30-2000, 02:43 PM

trust me....

the Neon I have does NOT look like your old one
Old 10-30-2000, 03:47 PM
Got Bent?

Ugh, I know how you feel. I had a Chevy Malibu as a rental last week while I was interviewing in San Jose. That thing also had like 22k miles and every piece of the interior rattled or made some other funny noise. The interior was really torn up and it also smelled awful. The engine (3.1L V6 i think) also sucked big time......slow, loud, and rough when you revved it. Oh well....glad it was only a rental. I actually couldn't wait to drive my Maxima after that
Old 10-30-2000, 03:56 PM

Taurus..for us

My bumper - for the scratchy thing is getting fixed and I had to drop my car of this evening . I got a Ford Taurus - 36K miles and slow and heavy. They better have my car done and done right tomorrow so I can have my max back.

Old 10-30-2000, 04:50 PM
is invisible

Nissan service really does suck...

you'd think they'd give you the equivalent of the Maxima or even try out another one of their products (in hopes you'd consider buying it sometime). Poop on Nissan !
Old 10-30-2000, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
Ugh, I know how you feel. I had a Chevy Malibu as a rental last week while I was interviewing in San Jose. That thing also had like 22k miles and every piece of the interior rattled or made some other funny noise. The interior was really torn up and it also smelled awful. The engine (3.1L V6 i think) also sucked big time......slow, loud, and rough when you revved it. Oh well....glad it was only a rental. I actually couldn't wait to drive my Maxima after that
Well that is the sign of crap. I remeber two-three years ago A TON of malibu's were sold in my neck of the woods.
I barely see one every three days.
Old 10-30-2000, 06:57 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

man, at least youre getting loaners.

I've got the Nissan gold warranty and I have had to argue to get a rental... with no success. the last time I just told my wife to go on.. and left me there. I said well if you wont give me car, I guess you need to find someone to take me to work. They did. She asked "where to?" I said "about 30 mins away". Ahhh to see that look on her face again I had driven to a nearby Nissan place that would fix my TCM. Heh, it was a long drive for them too
Old 10-30-2000, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by doug
rice rice .. my eyes are hurting ...
And what do you drive?
Old 10-30-2000, 07:50 PM

Actually I take back the part of the rattles in the neon.....rattle are pretty tame compared to my Max believe it or not...the rattles I hear on the Dodge are from the engine...I kid you not...

man I hope this thing doesnt blow up on me

Man..I thought I might get a GXE or an Altima at least..oh well..price was right I'm telling ya Tim...my dealer is bending over backwards to try to fix my probs....SM actually said he was gonna call me from now on if he has a prob with a 2K Max... he figures I'll know all the little quirks of the car
Old 10-30-2000, 07:56 PM

yeah, I get those snipy comments too.

I replied, 'no need to ask me, they have these things called TSB's.. maybe you've heard of them?'

His comments were more about me being too picky, really he was trivializing my concern about a prematuraly failing transmission. yeah, I guess I just have overactive Spidey Senses® when it comes to rattles, thunks and vibrations
Old 10-31-2000, 05:52 AM

I heard the Neon's had power windows in the front but manual, roll-down style in the rear.
Old 10-31-2000, 08:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Taurus..for us

All true, but I'm now a firm believer of the Taurus. Last Thursday a semi-truck ran a red light as my husband was going through an intersection in his 1997 Taurus. Front of the car went under the trailer & practically was sheared in half. He walked away with a slight concussion & sprained ankle. Probably thanks to the air bags & solid build of the car. Semi began didn't brake until a block later.

Originally posted by blackY2Kmax
My bumper - for the scratchy thing is getting fixed and I had to drop my car of this evening . I got a Ford Taurus - 36K miles and slow and heavy. They better have my car done and done right tomorrow so I can have my max back.

Old 10-31-2000, 08:13 PM

ROTFL

Originally posted by jnm2kse
for 2 days at least

I dropped my car off at the dealer tonight to repair all the issues I have with the car.(Jeez I hope so)

Thought that I might get another Max to tool around in for a couple of days...ummmmm...nope. Good ole Enterprise dropped off a spiffy green Dodge Neon to be my wheels for the next 2 days....all I can say is "Oh my God"

21K on the thing and it sounds like a pos....shakes, rattles and rolls and I feel like I'm driving in a turtle shell....plus they stunk it up with some awful air freshner.

Seats are made out of some sort of foam that makes me feel like I'm on some sort of a life preserver...and that peppy 2.0 16v engine...ummm......well whatever

I lifted the hood to check out the plant and the rubber gasket at the back of the engine bay fell off!

Oh well its free so I shouldn't knock it but damn...I hope I don't get hit in this thing or it will be all over!

My story beats all of yours. I don't drive my Max in the winter so I needed what we in Canada call a "winter beater". Guess what I bought? A 2001 Neon...lol. Its alright. Sad to call a $20,000 Cdn. (Max is $35,000) car a winter beater, but thats what I bought it for. It does the job.
Old 10-31-2000, 09:56 PM

Re: Re: Taurus..for us WITH Update

Originally posted by tuggertoo
All true, but I'm now a firm believer of the Taurus. Last Thursday a semi-truck ran a red light as my husband was going through an intersection in his 1997 Taurus. Front of the car went under the trailer & practically was sheared in half. He walked away with a slight concussion & sprained ankle. Probably thanks to the air bags & solid build of the car. Semi began didn't brake until a block later.
Well, I'm glad your hubby was okay. Still don't like the car, but am thankful it worked for your family.

Update on my crappy dealer - they ordered the wrong clips - I mean the part number is right on the TSB that I gave them a copy of. They say the other clips are on 'national back order' (WTF) and then they "forgot" to put my bumper back on when I went to get my car tonight so I'm stuck with the Taurus for a 3rd day when nothing was done to fix my car. Can Nissan's service be any worse? Luckily (knock on wood), I don't have near the problems that jnm2kse has had and I have only had to take it in for the tranny and bumper TSB;s because as bad as my dealer is, I couldn't stand for my car to be in there all the time for the kind of stuff jum2kse has had to deal with. Sheesh.
Old 11-01-2000, 07:13 AM

the worst service I have heard of

is a coworker that has a 98 Pontiac GP. They kept her car for a week. They farm out part of their service (ie drive to a shop somewhere else). When she called, They had 'lost the car', didnt know where they sent it. Then found out that that shop had forgotten to work on it. Then it took 3 more days just for them to get the car back from whatever shop. Still not fixed (AT ALL, not a bolt turned) and COMPLETELY scratched up. Looked like they used the hood for a shelf for a week. They of course denied any responsibility for the scratches because.. get this.. it wasnt on their lot. And she didnt fight it.
Old 11-01-2000, 07:45 AM

Re: the worst service I have heard of

Originally posted by TimW
is a coworker that has a 98 Pontiac GP. They kept her car for a week. They farm out part of their service (ie drive to a shop somewhere else). When she called, They had 'lost the car', didnt know where they sent it. Then found out that that shop had forgotten to work on it. Then it took 3 more days just for them to get the car back from whatever shop. Still not fixed (AT ALL, not a bolt turned) and COMPLETELY scratched up. Looked like they used the hood for a shelf for a week. They of course denied any responsibility for the scratches because.. get this.. it wasnt on their lot. And she didnt fight it.
That is unbelievable...well, actually it's said to say, but I can actually believe that with service departments these days.
Old 11-01-2000, 09:33 AM

Black...same thing here!!!!!!

I talked to my dealer today and he also said that Nissan sent him the wrong clips! It appears Nissan f*cked up and changed the part # that was in the TSB..apparently the part# in the TSB may have been for the original clips....same story on the parts being backordered......man oh man Nissan is truly the ugly redheaded step child for Jap cars as far as service goes....

Someone from Nissan is supposed to be there today around 3pm...he will give me a call to come on down and talk to them. Of course they went for a ride yesterday in a downpour and said that they don't hear any rattles or squeaks....duuuuhh......I strongly suggested he take the car for a ride today....

Did an oil change to Mobil One and balanced the tires....

Told me that the drivers seat is just the way it is...basically tuff ****

I didn't even ask if the mounts and ECM fixed the chirp noise......the cynical side of me says no as he didn't even mention anything other than changing the stuff out....

My blood pressure right now is really boiling......i have to keep away from pointy objects....
Old 11-01-2000, 09:47 AM

Ha ha ha. Listen ...

My front right strut mount was being fixed about three months. And this is not funny

First, they recieved the wrong mount, took about a month for a correct one to come in. Second, the new strut they installed was broken FROM the Factory. So they ordered a new one. Took another months. Heh.

Damn this was fun.
Old 11-01-2000, 11:41 AM

Re: Black...same thing here!!!!!!

Unbelievable, jnm. I just don't get it. At first, I thought the 'national back order' status was a crock, but since you got the same story, maybe not any more than just the usual crock.

I feel bad for you that you are having so many problems with your car. It makes me nervous about mine even though I haven't experienced even half of what you have experienced.

I can say this, though, even when it has been a TSB which means Nissan KNOWS there is a problem as opposed to something that is subjective (i.e., I hear it, but the mechanic doesn't), Nissan still SUCKS at service. I still get the run around, things still don't go right, it's ridiculous. I am a nervous wreck whenever they have my car.

Quick story - I know how to change my oil so no flames, pelase, but I DID have the dealership do it so that there could be a record if and when I needed something major done and I could prove that I got my oil change within recommended time frames. I use Mobil 1 oil and filter and I bring it to them and have them use it. When I replaced my vb and was under my car, I noticed that it wasn't a Mobil 1 filter - it wasn't even a Nissan one. I bet they didn't even use my Mobil 1 oil. Called them on it, but they said I can't prove that they didn't do it since it had been 1 month and 1300 miles since my oil change. They suck.