5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Grand Prix GTP vs. 2000 Maxima Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 07:11 PM

Grand Prix GTP vs. 2000 Maxima Supercharged

Has anyone raced an Grand Prix GTP? If so are they who won.
Old 10-02-2001, 08:33 PM

from a dead stop....a 5sp can take them with no probelm
auto cars....are too slow and won't keep up with them
Old 10-02-2001, 09:45 PM

Re: Grand Prix GTP vs. 2000 Maxima Supercharged

Originally posted by Tonio90max
Has anyone raced an Grand Prix GTP? If so are they who won.
A supercharged Maxima would destroy a stock GTP. hands down.

Adam
Old 10-02-2001, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by 2001SE
Would autos keep up from a roll?
Old 10-03-2001, 09:08 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Haven't raced a GTP yet (NA or boosted).
Old 10-03-2001, 09:13 AM
PhatGuy

From a dead stop with a 5spd would be the problem SC or not. The GTP (stock) has tons of torque and pulls like crazy off the line. I would say SC Maxima auto or 5spd would win. An NA 5spd Max (driven properly) is comparable in performance to a GTP. Once the Max hits 4th gear it is all over for the GTP. On a roll an NA Max 5spd would win (especially at higher speeds) let alone a SC Max.

Old 10-03-2001, 12:10 PM

I beleive a supercharged auto 2000 maxima...can take on a GTP with no problem at all from any situation
Old 10-03-2001, 12:14 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Not entirely true, I ran against a modded one, he ran a 14.49 to my 14.8, next time at the track I ran a 14.45, I woulda beat him...
Old 10-03-2001, 12:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
what HAVE you been doing lately with your SC?
Old 10-03-2001, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
From a dead stop with a 5spd would be the problem SC or not. The GTP (stock) has tons of torque and pulls like crazy off the line. I would say SC Maxima auto or 5spd would win. An NA 5spd Max (driven properly) is comparable in performance to a GTP. Once the Max hits 4th gear it is all over for the GTP. On a roll an NA Max 5spd would win (especially at higher speeds) let alone a SC Max.

That is exactly true! I ran against one last night on my way home from a dead stop. I have 5gen 5spd with NO mods and I'm assuming he wasn't modded either. He was at my passenger door the whole time until upper 3rd into low 4th...then it was all over...two car lengths easy. It was a very good run for my money though...best challenge the max has had in a long time
Old 10-03-2001, 07:38 PM

we had a thread here on GTP a few weeks ago. My friend owns a 99 GTP, and I driven it. No way in hell a stock 5th gen will take the GTP before the speed of maybe 90MPH. One thing for sure-GTPs suffer many inborn problems, like transmissions. To the guy in 5spd who went door to door with GTP: man that GTP likely had tranny probs or the guy didn't know how to accelerate. I tested with time my time (GXE 5 spd w/1pass+100lb box)0-60 at 6.8sec...and then we went to my boy'z car...same load he did it in 5.9sec on my eyes..oh well he had an aftermarket pulley.
Old 10-03-2001, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
we had a thread here on GTP a few weeks ago. My friend owns a 99 GTP, and I driven it. No way in hell a stock 5th gen will take the GTP before the speed of maybe 90MPH. One thing for sure-GTPs suffer many inborn problems, like transmissions. To the guy in 5spd who went door to door with GTP: man that GTP likely had tranny probs or the guy didn't know how to accelerate. I tested with time my time (GXE 5 spd w/1pass+100lb box)0-60 at 6.8sec...and then we went to my boy'z car...same load he did it in 5.9sec on my eyes..oh well he had an aftermarket pulley.
Well I shut it down around 80mph, didn't get through 4th. Well all I got to say to this post is "Line'em up", because in my eyes for me to even hang with a GTP it's a sad excuse for a car. I do find it funny that in order to even get their cars to run with a 5th or 4th gen max pontiac has to supercharge thier land yacht.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:59 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by irvine78

what HAVE you been doing lately with your SC?
Hiding...
Old 10-03-2001, 11:02 PM

the tranny blew and its a garage queen now
Old 10-03-2001, 11:06 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by yongjun
the tranny blew and its a garage queen now
Don't you wish.
Old 10-03-2001, 11:09 PM

yea then you can join the blown tranny club
Old 10-03-2001, 11:19 PM
PhatGuy

Well when I was stock I ran a GTP from a dead stop. I was lucky and had a perfect 3500rpm launch and yes it was pretty even till 90 but i pulled a solid car on him by the end of 3rd and just left him in 4th. With a perfect launch a 5spd 4th/5th gen Max will be even with a GTP. On the highway I kill them now 70mph+ no problem. But I have a y-pipe/intake and lowered.

Old 10-04-2001, 12:13 AM
Former Sponsor

my humble opinion, is that all but the quickest NA Maximas will have a tough time against a GTP SC, atleast until higher speeds. They also have traction control which really helps. and witht he humoungous torque of the 3.8L SC (280lb/ft?) it really hauls *** off the line. And its not a sorry excuse for a car, I drove one for several monthes and I found it to be a great car, handles well, steering is better weighted than my Maxima, and it just plain hauls ***. My only qualm is some interior issues and its size and the lack of a 5spd, otherwise its kickass
Old 10-04-2001, 05:48 AM
Administrator

GTP's are wierd animals.. some run mid to low 14's stock.. some of them run mid to low 15's stock..

they are definately not created equal.. it just will be which ever one you run up on at that time..
Old 10-04-2001, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Kev, being blown is great huh ?

I dunno why everyone thinks that a Auto Maxima WILL LOSE TO A GTP.
I'm gonna keep saying it, I'm gonna keep typing it out.

I BEAT A GTP and a Bonneville SSEi......ON AN INTAKE and 2.5" SS Mid Pipe.(Manually shifting.)

Now I run CAI, 3.0" Y-Pipe, 3.0" Cat, 2.5" Mid pipe, factory muffler, Level Ten Tranny, dropped, Toyo T1S tires, UDP, port matched intake manifold, and extrudehoned heads. I currently have 100shot NX System hooked up, but don't bother squeezing til its necessary.

-Wanna run now ?
No i do not want to run you.
Old 10-04-2001, 11:10 AM
Banned

At least the car is stock looking....stock muffler
I wish I had factory 16s, so I can swap out for lighter rims.
No one wants to run me...I need a Ninja kit and rice out my car so I get some more attention.

-Peace
Exactly...... I guess you could get the loudest BOV possible and just rev your engine at the stoplight. Just to give them a little warning of the beat down that they will receive.
Old 10-04-2001, 11:38 AM
Banned

I need to take a picture of my friends truck. He has a Paxton S/C kit w/ Aftercooler.... and attached to the aftercooler is a Nissan Sentra TB used as a BOV~!~!~!

-I kid you not.
Holy Moly

Probably really really really loud.
Old 10-04-2001, 02:59 PM
Former Sponsor

get some sound clips too
Old 10-04-2001, 03:27 PM
Banned

LoL I wish you lived in NY.... he popped into Supermarket Parking lot on DPA, and there were a few turbo eclipses, an RX7 and 300ZX, he rolls up, and I start laughing. Everyone looks at me, and I say to my friend rev it....he held the throttle til 4000rpm, and you can hear the blower whine. He lets go.....woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....and I bust out in laughter even more.
then blips it, and wooooooooosssssshhhhhhhhhhh...some more laughs, and everyone shakes their head ...like no way....open it up....OMFG....point.....NISSAN TB....
hehehe that is awesome....that is too funny
Old 10-04-2001, 04:46 PM

why r y'all bit**** about GTP's? Look at the TSB's, paint quality and other BS you go through in your Maximas. I know someone who had to replace the engine on his brand new Accord at 10K miles. No car is immune of defects. (when brand-new LOL)

Comparing stock (repeat-stock) GTP and 5th gen, the GTP will walk all over us from start. To those "automagics" who took on GTP from start I can say that it was not for real. Even 5spd like myself, launching at 3500 wont do any good, those cars are beasts. As far as Bonneville SSEi, compare those to Toyota Avalon, they're different class cars.

So whenever you're describing the kill, let us know what mods are on your car, and who was the driver of the other car.
Old 10-04-2001, 04:54 PM
PhatGuy

Can someone explain this?

Kev, being blown is great huh ?

-Wanna run now ?

Old 10-04-2001, 04:58 PM
PhatGuy

I was stock and I won at the top of 3rd.

why r y'all bit**** about GTP's? Look at the TSB's, paint quality and other BS you go through in your Maximas. I know someone who had to replace the engine on his brand new Accord at 10K miles. No car is immune of defects. (when brand-new LOL)

Comparing stock (repeat-stock) GTP and 5th gen, the GTP will walk all over us from start. To those "automagics" who took on GTP from start I can say that it was not for real. Even 5spd like myself, launching at 3500 wont do any good, those cars are beasts. As far as Bonneville SSEi, compare those to Toyota Avalon, they're different class cars.

So whenever you're describing the kill, let us know what mods are on your car, and who was the driver of the other car.

Old 10-04-2001, 05:03 PM
Former Sponsor

gota agree with Y2KMAX
I drove one as I said before and it has ALOT more down low than the max and the traction control really helps the launches, it is a beast up around 100mph, it straight pulls over 110 it isnt as strong but its smooth all the way through.

and no offense to y'all 5th gens, but if it wasnt for the 5spd (6spd) I'd take a Grand Prix GTP over a 5th gen and do some simple mods and pull bomb *** quarters and sub 6 0-60s for alot cheaper than adding an SC on a Max
Old 10-04-2001, 05:15 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by carnal_c30
gota agree with Y2KMAX
I drove one as I said before and it has ALOT more down low than the max and the traction control really helps the launches, it is a beast up around 100mph, it straight pulls over 110 it isnt as strong but its smooth all the way through.

and no offense to y'all 5th gens, but if it wasnt for the 5spd (6spd) I'd take a Grand Prix GTP over a 5th gen and do some simple mods and pull bomb *** quarters and sub 6 0-60s for alot cheaper than adding an SC on a Max
'
The only reason why the GTP feels faster down low is because it has alot of TQ. But it has ALOT more weight, and it does not make it faster. The heavier the car, the more it will feel like its hauling *** with more TQ. When it really isn't.

Old 10-04-2001, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

'
The only reason why the GTP feels faster down low is because it has alot of TQ. But it has ALOT more weight, and it does not make it faster. The heavier the car, the more it will feel like its hauling *** with more TQ. When it really isn't.
Tell it
Old 10-04-2001, 07:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Whatever dude, the GTPs are very capable performers, I drive a 5spd Max and I'm telling you that they are. Whats the problem? 240hp 280lb/ft of torque? you cant take the fact that an auto Pontiac can hang with your 5spd maxs and SMOKE the autos?
the weight difference is 200lbs yes alot, but 280lb/ft of torque means alot and it gets it moving fast.

and If i feel like i'm moving faster I'm not? all the major mags say the range for both the GTP and Max 5spd is 6.5-6.8 0-60 does that mean anything? and auto max hangs at 7.8 for most of the major mags, doesnt that sound odd?

and with VERY simple and cheap mods you can have a GTP running alot faster than a max modded with the same $$ Sorry for getting agitated but I've driven one I've paid alot of attention to it... I drove it for about 2 monthes and I was really impressed, does that mean that I dont have any idea how a Max performs?
Old 10-04-2001, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by carnal_c30
Whatever dude, the GTPs are very capable performers, I drive a 5spd Max and I'm telling you that they are. Whats the problem? 240hp 280lb/ft of torque? you cant take the fact that an auto Pontiac can hang with your 5spd maxs and SMOKE the autos?
the weight difference is 200lbs yes alot, but 280lb/ft of torque means alot and it gets it moving fast.

and If i feel like i'm moving faster I'm not? all the major mags say the range for both the GTP and Max 5spd is 6.5-6.8 0-60 does that mean anything? and auto max hangs at 7.8 for most of the major mags, doesnt that sound odd?

and with VERY simple and cheap mods you can have a GTP running alot faster than a max modded with the same $$ Sorry for getting agitated but I've driven one I've paid alot of attention to it... I drove it for about 2 monthes and I was really impressed, does that mean that I dont have any idea how a Max performs?
Ok, I am not calling the GTP a suck *** car by any means. Believe me we were both pulling extremely hard. I had probably the best freakin launch of my life racing that guy. I'm not sure what the boost is on that car but I'm just saying that with all the hype it should've eaten me for lunch but it didn't. Who knows, maybe he shut down early...it sure didn't sound like the way the american v6 was screaming to holy God. There are so many variables involved but a win is still a win. We would've run again but we came into some traffic, who knows hey may have won, you never know. What gave me the edge was my shift from 1st to 2nd, without that there is no way i would've had him. I'm going to go test drive one tomorrow and have my friend drive it against me. I've honestly grown fond of it since this thread started as well as my personal experience with one. I wonder if you can get a smaller pully for that stock SC? I hope this clears things up a bit about my post.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:02 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

How many of you have seen GTPs run at the strip, honestly? Yes, these cars can haul some butt, however most GTPs with the typical mods of smaller pullies, intakes, and exhausts run lower 14s. There are a few in the 13s, but it's not extremely common. I suggest you guys to to ClubGP. They are a pretty cool group of guys.

I'm lucky enough to live in Kansas City where the national Grand Prix "Gathering" is held every September. I've watched a hundred of these modded GTPs and GTs run down the track. Most modded ones at KCIR run lower to mid 14s. You guys need to realize some things though. Most of the GTP guys track prep their cars fairly elaborately. Some of these guys swap on pretty much unstreetable pullies that generate tons of heat. Most guys run race gas. Most guys pull the headlight out, run no air filter, and put a intake pipe directly in the headlight socket. Nearly all of them ice the intake. Most guys are running drag radials in place of their stock 16s or aftermarket 17s. The point is, this is not what these cars run when you encounter them on the street. If it runs lower 14s on the track, chances are its a mid 14 second car on the street. Running smaller pullies generate a lot of heat and detonation which can make some of these cars sluggish around town due to the constant heat of the blower.

Last month I went to the "Gathering" and ran with the GTP guys. Most of the modded ones were in the 14.4-15.0 with speeds ranging from 92-97mph range with mods to varying to degrees. I was running 14.8s@95mph that night. My only track mod was no spare. Most of them had ice, race gas, no headlight etc. I think my 96 Max held it's own pretty well, don't you think? Many of them are amazed a NA 3.0 V6 was trapping out higher than some of them. I just can't 60 foot like these guys can.

I've run stock and modded GTPs on the street and I'm 3 and 2. I creamed the two stock ones, beat a pullied one, and got beat by a few cars lengths to 100mph by two moderately modded GTPs. After 80-85mph is where the GTP start to fall off. If you've ever seen a dyno plot of the GTP, you'll see why they aren't good in the topend. The Roots blower creates a ton of torque from idle to 3000 and then after that the torque drops like an anvil. Peak hp occurs at 4800-4900rpms and then falls fast. The torque curve is not flat by any means and the smaller pullies make it even worse.

Dave
Old 10-05-2001, 12:12 AM
PhatGuy

The funny thing that is so obvious for the GTP lovers here is:

The GTP is a V6 3.8L SC

The Max is a V6 3.0 NA

The fact it is even in performance is hillarious! So lets take a look at 2K2 3.5 V6 NA that will rip a GTP. Now lets put a SC on the 3.5 vs the SC on a 3.8 what a joke! Hell my car with an intake an Y pipe will rip a GTP to 125MPH+ pullied or not! GTP is a POS sorry! Ugly inside and out and zero class. Big deal the Max has a few TSB and problems like any other car. The GTP is a POS!

Old 10-05-2001, 06:22 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Can someone explain this?

He means force fed... get your mind out of the gutter.
Old 10-05-2001, 07:35 AM

The funny thing that is so obvious for the GTP lovers here is:

The GTP is a V6 3.8L SC

The Max is a V6 3.0 NA

The fact it is even in performance is hillarious! So lets take a look at 2K2 3.5 V6 NA that will rip a GTP. Now lets put a SC on the 3.5 vs the SC on a 3.8 what a joke! Hell my car with an intake an Y pipe will rip a GTP to 125MPH+ pullied or not! GTP is a POS sorry! Ugly inside and out and zero class. Big deal the Max has a few TSB and problems like any other car. The GTP is a POS!

I think their 5 spoke rims are sexy
Old 10-05-2001, 08:44 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I don't think the GTP is a POS. I think it's a good looking car. The interior kinda sucks though. The only major problem these guys have with these cars are the 4T65E trannies. They are rated at 280 ft/lbs and the GTP puts out 280 ft/lbs. Therefore once you add the pulley, you're taxing the tranny. I'd consider a GTP if I wanted a fwd cruiser auto with a V8 complex

Dave
Old 10-05-2001, 08:53 AM

Nice perspective!

Originally posted by Dave B
How many of you have seen GTPs run at the strip, honestly? Yes, these cars can haul some butt, however most GTPs with the typical mods of smaller pullies, intakes, and exhausts run lower 14s. There are a few in the 13s, but it's not extremely common. I suggest you guys to to ClubGP. They are a pretty cool group of guys.

I'm lucky enough to live in Kansas City where the national Grand Prix "Gathering" is held every September. I've watched a hundred of these modded GTPs and GTs run down the track. Most modded ones at KCIR run lower to mid 14s. You guys need to realize some things though. Most of the GTP guys track prep their cars fairly elaborately. Some of these guys swap on pretty much unstreetable pullies that generate tons of heat. Most guys run race gas. Most guys pull the headlight out, run no air filter, and put a intake pipe directly in the headlight socket. Nearly all of them ice the intake. Most guys are running drag radials in place of their stock 16s or aftermarket 17s. The point is, this is not what these cars run when you encounter them on the street. If it runs lower 14s on the track, chances are its a mid 14 second car on the street. Running smaller pullies generate a lot of heat and detonation which can make some of these cars sluggish around town due to the constant heat of the blower.

Last month I went to the "Gathering" and ran with the GTP guys. Most of the modded ones were in the 14.4-15.0 with speeds ranging from 92-97mph range with mods to varying to degrees. I was running 14.8s@95mph that night. My only track mod was no spare. Most of them had ice, race gas, no headlight etc. I think my 96 Max held it's own pretty well, don't you think? Many of them are amazed a NA 3.0 V6 was trapping out higher than some of them. I just can't 60 foot like these guys can.

I've run stock and modded GTPs on the street and I'm 3 and 2. I creamed the two stock ones, beat a pullied one, and got beat by a few cars lengths to 100mph by two moderately modded GTPs. After 80-85mph is where the GTP start to fall off. If you've ever seen a dyno plot of the GTP, you'll see why they aren't good in the topend. The Roots blower creates a ton of torque from idle to 3000 and then after that the torque drops like an anvil. Peak hp occurs at 4800-4900rpms and then falls fast. The torque curve is not flat by any means and the smaller pullies make it even worse.

Dave
I live in KC and I think that the Grand Am and the Grand Prix is the official redneck sportscar! Everywhere you turn there is another POS pontiac sunfire,grand am and prix. I would have bought one if they are not so prevalaint around here. I love the heads up display, and the hundred buttons located all over the dash (Too bad they are the same buttons they have been using for 15 years) They also have dual climate control. I like the exterior styling better than the maxima in stock form. I have yet to race one, but my guess it would give a five speed maxima a hell of a race on the street. My poor 2k with no traction control is no match for that car on our crappy roads.

All of this talk is making me want to go drive one of those POS's!! I wonder if the rep would let me "getonit" and I could get a butt dyno on that thing!
Old 10-05-2001, 09:00 AM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Uhhhh.....

GTP: Supercharged 240 hp ('02 Altima or Maxima would definitely clean its clock, though)
GT: N/A 225 hp 3800 series V6
GTX: You MIGHT get killed if you are not careful. A GTX is a GTP w/SLP goodies=260 hp. You can see one at www.slpeng.com

My take: Maxima
I know I may sound repetitive, but GMs make most of their power on the lower end of the power band (read: better torque). Maximas are more even across the power band. Where we Max owners will destroy a GTP (or even GTX) is in the mid and upper end of the power band.

A GT vs a blown Max? If my VG30DE can beat the hell out of a 3800, you guys should be able to rip one to shreds.

Don't get me wrong, I like GTPs (Except the unmarked ones that the IL State Police drive). In fact, I considered a GTP before I got the Max (along with a Blazer, Impala SS, SHO). The only reason I am saying this is purely based on my personal experiences as a GM owner and driver.
Old 10-05-2001, 09:54 AM

I raced a GTP a couple of weeks go from a stoplight...Bad idea! I had a pefect launch and he still pulled a 1 1/2 cars on me in first. Second was even till about 3500 rpms and then i started to pull on him till I was about at his door by the end of second. The little ***** shut it down cause he saw I was pulling on him. He couldn't beat me from a roll though. He tried to race from a 15 mph roll and he pulled very slightly on me in first and then in second i had him at my rear bumper. I am not a fan of GM, but the GTP is a fast car.

Quick Reply: Grand Prix GTP vs. 2000 Maxima Supercharged