5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ordered my 2002 SE 6 speed BUT...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 09:56 PM

Ordered my 2002 SE 6 speed BUT...

in the paperwork we stated that I will let them know whether I want the HLSD, and either Glacier White (with frost leather) or Majestic Blue (with black leather). Black is nice (I have a 99 SE Black) but hard to maintain. I assume blue isn't great by better and less popular.

Now HLSD, is it worth the wait? They said the 6 speed should be in by mid November, but everyone gives you a different date. The HLSD they said might be ready in January. How much weight does it add? At this point I am leaning toward not getting it. I live in Canada and have snow up to 7 months of the year. However, I survived without for the first xx years.

In Canada someone mentioned he paid $800 above invoice. I was very slack with my negotiation and settled for $1000 below MSRP. However, where I am I pay the 7% tax, and not the extra 8% province tax or whatever you call them. Add in lease fees, admin, etc.

Should I bother with the protection package? Undercoating, scotchguard, leather protection, and paint protection. Do they ACTUALLY do that extra work?

I declined on the injury/death insurance, and the balloon payment, and the extented warranty which brings it to 3/80km instead of 3/60km.

The lease payment is about $80 more than my 99SE, which I can afford by losing some weight and cutting on luxury goods.

So, email me privately if you like. HLSD, and Blue or White?
Old 10-03-2001, 11:15 PM

My local Nissan dealer told me exactly the same thing---
that the 6spd SE's should be available by
mid-November, but the HLSD-equipped 6spd may be
available sometime in January of next year (that
could change to February). Nissan really seems to
be dragging their feet with the HLSD; the promised
12/01 release date could end up being 2/02.

I intend to wait for the HLSD, but it just seems
odd that though Nissan would claim that the SE
comes standard in a 6spd manual and that automatic
is an option, YET the 6spd is coming out 2-3
months AFTER the automatic, and the best
performing Maxima (6spd with HLSD) coming out
about half a year after the automatic. In reality
it's the other way around--- the 6spd is the
option.

Sorry for the long response (just venting!)
I vote for majestic blue with black leather!
Old 10-04-2001, 01:40 AM

Since you live in Canada (I do too) and should be somewhere north or inland, I would recommend getting the HLSD. I am pretty sure you've experienced the inner wheel spinning during rain/slush when trying to exit the corner not too slow. If it's not too expensive and you can wait, why not? It's better to wait than say "damn, i wish i have HLSD" afterwards.

Just my 2 cents
Old 10-04-2001, 07:38 AM

I like Merlot

I have the Icelandic Pearl...beautiful color when clean but when dirty it just looks like it is a dirty white car. Plus...I live in Missouri and the bugs here are big and splatter hard. It sucks when you have your car all cleaned up and some bugs hit the bumper....and the car looks like poop! Plus the frost leather is very hard to maintain. (That is why I went with black).

If I could do it all over...I would get the Merlot with Black leather.

You should wait for the HLSD. Or you could just get the Qaiffe (Sp?) differential....that is what I want! Oh yeah....you are leasing...never mind.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:54 AM

Re: Ordered my 2002 SE 6 speed BUT...

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Should I bother with the protection package? Undercoating, scotchguard, leather protection, and paint protection. Do they ACTUALLY do that extra work?
First if you are leasing and turning in the car do not do any of these.

If you are buying they still are a ripoff. The undercoating and paint protection is a $20 bottle of wax like stuff. The stockguard is a $5 can they spray on. Its all stuff that you can do yourself cheap.
Old 10-05-2001, 10:24 AM
Cant..leave..the..ORG!!

I just got an 2002 auto (I drive in way to much traffic for the 6spd to be worth the wait) thats Majestic Blue, So I vote for that color. It is very dark but with it freshly washed and when the sun hits it just right it sparkles.
Also as for the Protection package I got the auto armor paint protection and the undercaoting put on it. I live in a townhouse with the parking not close enuff to the the house to wash and wax as much as should so I end up useing the local wash and its hard to do a good wax job there. The paint protectant is garunteed against all the normal slimy stuff (tree sap, bird carpola, etc) not to fade the paint and the maintenance on it is just washing, no need to wax, and its garunteed for 5 years. They said the undercoating is garunteed for the life of the car against underneath rust (and living in the NoVa area with the amount of salt during the winter thats good.) Wether its actually worth it or not I dont know since its only been 2 weeks.
Old 10-05-2001, 10:40 AM

Re: I like Merlot

Originally posted by MOBOY

If I could do it all over...I would get the Merlot with Black leather.
I like Merlot too! See my homepage or profile for some more pics. Sorry if they're a little dark, it was at sunset.
Old 10-05-2001, 03:16 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

my dealer has pull and he's the man. i MIGHT have my 2k2 6-spd for the Woodbury meet
Old 10-05-2001, 08:01 PM

merlot is the best color...but don't get one cause I want mine to still be one of those "rare, hard to find colors" as they say! Just kidding. But some people even think I had an aftermarket paint job; it gets compliments everywhere...you just don't see it much, and it is gorgeous.

But I'm biased, of course.

srm
Old 10-05-2001, 09:18 PM

colors

Merlot is rare, and it seems Grey Luster and Majestic Blue also. I like the Sterling Mist but it looks different depending on the lighting. I like it when it looks grey, and not as much with a hint of 'rose'.

Mine will be Blue :-)