5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Are Nissan Maximas......Crappy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 09:11 PM

I am new to the new car thing and I thought I was buying a reliable car!! It is the top model for Nissan. All I keep hearing on these messages are the problems everyone is having. When I first bought my car I had a problem too. If I didn't warm up my car in the morning, driving at 2000 rpm's in second gear, my car would jerk so hard when I would try to accelerate slowly. Scary. I took it to the dealership and they told me nothing was wrong with the ECU. I got the Stillen intake on my car and the dealership wouldn't touch it. Also told me the car won't pass smog with the intake. Then after my Y pipe goes in, my car dies again for awhile until I turned it off. Turned it on and it is fine. Plus that first problem I had went away after about 8000 miles. ARE NISSANS BAD CARS? I bought Japanese to get away from all the problems of Crappy American Cars

Old 10-30-2000, 09:20 PM

well keep in mind, "no news is good news" the car isn't crappy. its' awesome. but all cars have flaws. as long as u don't drive a jag you are fine. adn that is a expensive crappy car
Old 10-30-2000, 09:33 PM
TommyBoiSxty9

Actually in the last 5-10 years Jag has stepped up and became a world class car company there cars are now as reliable as any Lexus or Mercedes

Old 10-30-2000, 09:46 PM

I guess you are right but you guys are still scaring me with all the problems I am reading about.

Old 10-30-2000, 09:52 PM
MiniE

I love the Maxima. Many cars are great cars these days and it is hard to make a BAD choice. I think how you feel about a car and how it makes you feel when you drive it is the key.

I drove Lexus cars over the last 3 years. I had 2 RX300's 2 ES300's and a GS400 (I worked for the corporation). All were nice cars, but none of them made me feel like the Max does!

All cars have their problems... Do what makes you feel good!

Old 10-30-2000, 10:26 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

my take...

there is nothing that cant be fixed on the max. No major problems. If nissan service didnt fight customers on warranty work, we'd all be happy. We only b*tch here because we cant get answers and satisfaction. I enjoy the car alot. There are things i dont worry about, like the engine. we are really complaining mostly about fit and finish. Aside from the rotors, the ECU and TCM problems arent really defects, just choices made in engineering.

again, if going to the dealer wasnt a hassle, I'd be really happy with the max. Besides, I bought the max for value. The other cars that deliver its ride and performace WITH GOOD SERVICE cost $4000-10000 more. I kinda knew that going in.
Old 10-30-2000, 11:31 PM

my two cents.....

You know what.... when I bought my Max.... after ten great years driving and loving Hondas.... I thought that I had made the right choice in buying the Max... when I had my 4cylinder accord in '94... I regreted not waiting for the 95 Max when it came out.... I wanted the V6 with the 5sp. It was great with the Honda... but I never really had like a club or an organization like this... Where if you have a question... there is someone out there that has the answer... or can find out... and if you feel something is wrong with the car... there are guys here that have the same feeling or problem.....

My point is that with so many Max owners discussing issues together.... when I first started on the forum... I got a little pissed off that my Max could have all these problems.... but now I have realized that it's all for the better... this way I can fix them or prevent them.... and the problems that the Max has are not terrible ones... but they just seem to be amplified with so many owners talking about them... for example.. the bumper thing... I never noticed it until I read about it.... and I detail my car pretty good... also the throtle thing... well I thought it was pretty normal for a powerful V6 to do that... UNTIL... I read about it here... and the front rotors.... well now I am looking for any tiny sound coming from my brakes... and when I find a sound... AHAA!!! There is the problem... This Max is a Piece of SH*T... j/k... really thought... I think that we try really hard to find the problems with our cars after someone else has said something about it... true there are a few legit problems but nothing major... like head gaskets or fuel line fires... or blowing Firestone Tires... he-he-he.... I think it's great that I can talk to all you guys out there... but for people who think that this is a unreliable car.... go visit a Ford or Chevy Forum and see if they are having less problems than we are... so.. Don't worry... Be happy... It'll all be OK.... CUZ... Happiness is not around the corner.... Happiness IS the corner.... Nuff said.

Old 10-30-2000, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by TommyBoiSxty9
Actually in the last 5-10 years Jag has stepped up and became a world class car company there cars are now as reliable as any Lexus or Mercedes
hehheheh then i must be the unlucky one. we have/had three in the house. we started out with a red 89' xj6 vandom plus, then in 96 my mother leased the xj6L and a month after that my dad got the xk8. the lease on my mom's car expired earlier this year. all three cars have always been in the shop. infact my dad's xk8 is going into the shop again tomorrow for warranty work. the lcd back light is not working, the lcd diodes are blown. and the car has been in the shop for a billion other reasons.. so if ya ask me, JAGs are a big waste of money, they look extremely sexy imo. but man.. do they have problems.
Old 10-31-2000, 05:23 AM

Bumper thingy? Rotor Problems? whats going on? did I miss a few posts? someone please bring me into the light. I had my rotors turned about 7K miles ago and now they are starting to shake again. But this time I think Nissan is gonna pay for it. they told me 12 months and 12K miles and its only been 7K miles. what trunk problem? whats the BREAK recall about?
Old 10-31-2000, 06:51 AM

Of course, the scary aspect of this (today being Hallowe'en and all, is that the Jaguar quality improvement was due to Ford...
Old 10-31-2000, 08:10 AM

Re: my two cents.....

Rack em! You've summarized it perfectly.

Originally posted by coolmaxx
You know what.... when I bought my Max.... after ten great years driving and loving Hondas.... I thought that I had made the right choice in buying the Max... when I had my 4cylinder accord in '94... I regreted not waiting for the 95 Max when it came out.... I wanted the V6 with the 5sp. It was great with the Honda... but I never really had like a club or an organization like this... Where if you have a question... there is someone out there that has the answer... or can find out... and if you feel something is wrong with the car... there are guys here that have the same feeling or problem.....

My point is that with so many Max owners discussing issues together.... when I first started on the forum... I got a little pissed off that my Max could have all these problems.... but now I have realized that it's all for the better... this way I can fix them or prevent them.... and the problems that the Max has are not terrible ones... but they just seem to be amplified with so many owners talking about them... for example.. the bumper thing... I never noticed it until I read about it.... and I detail my car pretty good... also the throtle thing... well I thought it was pretty normal for a powerful V6 to do that... UNTIL... I read about it here... and the front rotors.... well now I am looking for any tiny sound coming from my brakes... and when I find a sound... AHAA!!! There is the problem... This Max is a Piece of SH*T... j/k... really thought... I think that we try really hard to find the problems with our cars after someone else has said something about it... true there are a few legit problems but nothing major... like head gaskets or fuel line fires... or blowing Firestone Tires... he-he-he.... I think it's great that I can talk to all you guys out there... but for people who think that this is a unreliable car.... go visit a Ford or Chevy Forum and see if they are having less problems than we are... so.. Don't worry... Be happy... It'll all be OK.... CUZ... Happiness is not around the corner.... Happiness IS the corner.... Nuff said.
Old 10-31-2000, 08:28 AM

But still it is very poorly build, -->

As I said before, I like the engine alot, I bought this new 2000 SE after owning the 95 SE. Well my 95 SE was a good car, but I got it used. So I wasn't paying so much attention to it.
Now that I bought this new 2000 SE I was expecting a much better build car.

Come on. Rattles everywhere, just look at the paint, mine already has chips on the hood and the car is only 5 months old.

The way panels outside line up, is uneven. The same is with the inside.
What I am trying to say things supposed to line up perfectly, especially if the car stickered close to 29K.

Engine is great. Transmision(I have 5-speed) like it too.

BUT, build quality is VERY POOR.
That will probably make me buy something else after this car.

Anyways. Enjoy the ride everybody.

Old 10-31-2000, 09:09 AM

I'm telling ya Dany...

Nissan sent all the crappy build Maximas to Massachusetts dealers I've got all the stuff that folks have mentioned here..the bumper thingy, TCM thingy, paint chips, crappy quality glass and yes...even uneven panels. Heck I looked at some 2001's on the lot yesterday and they had uneven panels....

I'm a little bummed as it is pouring rain today and my car is in the shop...I can hear them now..."we can't hear no stinkin rattles due to the rain, have a nice day" ack!

Overall though I do like the car believe it or not....
Old 10-31-2000, 09:20 AM

Re: I'm telling ya Dany...

Is it sloppy building or poor engineering? or both?

Originally posted by jnm2kse
Nissan sent all the crappy build Maximas to Massachusetts dealers I've got all the stuff that folks have mentioned here..the bumper thingy, TCM thingy, paint chips, crappy quality glass and yes...even uneven panels. Heck I looked at some 2001's on the lot yesterday and they had uneven panels....

I'm a little bummed as it is pouring rain today and my car is in the shop...I can hear them now..."we can't hear no stinkin rattles due to the rain, have a nice day" ack!

Overall though I do like the car believe it or not....
Old 10-31-2000, 09:20 AM

It could be because the max is a complete redesign

for 2000............I know whenever manufacturer complete redesign a model, the first year's production will always have small design flaws, let it be mechanical, specs, fit and finish, etc... They will get work out as the prodouction goes on and the manufacturers gather feedbacks.

I'm assuming most of us here having problems have bought the car before summer 2000, which is about only 1 year after the 5th gen introduction, so there will definately be flaws in the cars waiting to be worked out. My roomate bought the 540 (1st fleet) when it just came out 4 years ago, and he had gone back to dealer gazillion times during the first 6 months, bunch of things weren't working right in his car.............I'm sure all other manufacturers have similar problems.
Old 10-31-2000, 09:26 AM

Re: It could be because the max is a complete redesign

This is true. For buidls after April 2000 they've fixed the TCM, trunk/bumper scratch and possibly some other problems. If you are a late adopter, you get a more improved car. I will never get a first year car again. (Famous last words.)

Originally posted by GT_icecream
for 2000............I know whenever manufacturer complete redesign a model, the first year's production will always have small design flaws, let it be mechanical, specs, fit and finish, etc... They will get work out as the prodouction goes on and the manufacturers gather feedbacks.
Old 10-31-2000, 09:49 AM

Re: Re: I'm telling ya Dany...

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
Is it sloppy building or poor engineering? or both?

[/I][/QUOTE]

I would say bad build quality not engineering(at least in my cars case) Way too many loose ends for a 24K car...but....after being in my rented Neon I know what 12k will get ya
Old 10-31-2000, 10:10 AM
Groundcntrl

Ignorance is bliss boys.

Old 10-31-2000, 11:50 AM

Re: Re: It could be because the max is a complete redesign

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
This is true. For buidls after April 2000 they've fixed the TCM, trunk/bumper scratch and possibly some other problems. If you are a late adopter, you get a more improved car. I will never get a first year car again. (Famous last words.)

You know I've said that too... but I really liked the looks I got when driving that car around when hardly anyone else in L.A. had it! I can't tell you the number of times I got asked about my car at red lights and coming back to my car in the parking lot to find people looking at my car (or smudges on my windows from the ppl who checked it out and left)!

Now the damn car's all over the place!! Oh well, was nice while it lasted!

2k Max SE June 1999

(oops.. had the wrong year before)

[Edited by xydavid on 10-31-2000 at 04:16 PM]
Old 10-31-2000, 03:06 PM
Got Bent?

For the record, I have not noticed any of the problems that have been discussed here. Granted, the brakes will probably start showing their age later on, but the other stuff is not there. No rattles, trunk scratches, etc... so far. I think it may have to do with when the car was built also. If you have a late production 2000, you may not have all the problems. Mine was made in 5/2000. Hopefully, things will stay the same.
Old 10-31-2000, 05:29 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems. I think it is great that I've had my car for a whole year and two months and have not had a problem. My Tranny has not given me anything to worry about, except losing races. My fit and finish is so well that I can barely fit a pen in the edges. No bumper problems. The only paint chips are in the front bumper, (MY FAULT). I have not waxed the car yet(neglection?) and have yet to notice a paint problem, my car is sunlit sand. The only defect's I have had are minor. Brake rotors, Chrome door handles on one side, painted on the other. And I have goodyear tires when I should have Toyo's. The major problem is the service dept. I would like to know about that supposed recall though.
Old 10-31-2000, 05:52 PM

well

..un-scientifically speaking, I figure there must be at least a hundred totally satisfied Maxima owners out there for every ONE here with a complaint. After all, this website is home to a lot of very particular folks who know their cars inside out, and whose central nervous systems are more tied to their cars than to their own brains. (that's a compliment not a criticism!) From what I see in the way of Maxima drivers when I'm on the road,there still seem to be a majority of older, middle class folks who appear totally content with the car and oblivious to any potential problems. For sure I dont know this for a fact, but from now on I'm going to start asking when I'm out there.... just for fun. I HAVE asked a few folks prior to buying my Y2 Max, and those I spoke with had no complaints at all...Maybe ignorance is bliss..maybe there just aint any problems!!
Old 10-31-2000, 06:16 PM

Leo...you nailed it

I agree with you 100%. I think the majority of people who buy Maxs from my dealer are in the 45-60 range. I'm not there (not yet at least) and I think forums like this one make people more aware of issues that MAY affect ther cars or at least what to look for.

I also agree that my car is not the Nissan rule....as far as I can tell I am the only guy here with "chirpy" engine mounts or whatever is making the noise. If my dealer offered me another max to replace mine(providing that they cannot resolve any of the issues that my car is in the shop for) I'd do so in a heartbeat..the car does rock...and it rocks even more after riding around in a rental Neon for a day Ack!
Old 10-31-2000, 06:36 PM

two "MAXIMS" to boot

...first there's Murphys law, and secondly there's, "if it aint broke, why fix it?" I guess that as much as i read posts and drool over various owner's mods, ( and in all likelihood, I will tackle a few myself), it never the less makes me nervous thinking about some of the more major mechanical and electrical dependant mods in particular. I figure each and every such venture opens up a potential can of frustrations/ hair pulling/ swearing/ more problems; and maybe dissatisfaction with the end result. It's risky stuff especially with a brand new set of wheels..makes me nervous. There are many way braver guys than me here who are prepared to take the torch or the wire cutters to their cars. all the power to 'em! That said..my Stillen rear and front bars are in the mail..but I aint goin to freak about that install!!
Old 10-31-2000, 11:26 PM

Re: well

Originally posted by LeoB
[Ithis website is home to a lot of very particular folks who know their cars inside out, and whose central nervous systems are more tied to their cars than to their own brains. (that's a compliment not a criticism!) Maybe ignorance is bliss..maybe there just aint any problems!! [/I]
Right On Bro!!

Old 11-06-2000, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by MiniE
I love the Maxima. Many cars are great cars these days and it is hard to make a BAD choice. I think how you feel about a car and how it makes you feel when you drive it is the key.

I drove Lexus cars over the last 3 years. I had 2 RX300's 2 ES300's and a GS400 (I worked for the corporation). All were nice cars, but none of them made me feel like the Max does!

All cars have their problems... Do what makes you feel good!
Im in the same boat you are in. I had a 97 Lexus ES 300, with some supension mods and aftermarket 17 inch rims and tires. The Lexus was a very nice and dependable car, not to mention sporty with my aftermarket mods. However, my 2000 Maxima SE 5spd is whole different car. My 2K Max is fully loaded with,of course aftermarket mods. The Maxima is a much more fun car than my ES300. I do miss one thing about having a Lexus..............the SERVICE! Lexus dealers know how to deal with their clients in a First Class way. With Nissan, I feel like im flying somewhere between Coach and Business Class.
Old 11-06-2000, 08:53 PM

If i thought Maximas were lousy cars, i would not be on my 3rd one. '84, '89, '00. It has quirks, a crappy windshield (something as stated above that I would have not noticed had someone on the forum not mentioned it), some paint chipping on the bumper, shaking rotors, faulty reading by the computer that caused my Service Engine Light to come on twice, etc. But the car is still top notch in my opinion, a joy to drive, and still worth the money. Id buy another max in the future as well.
Old 11-06-2000, 09:39 PM

I keep wondering if some of you just got the first few 2000 models while they were still figuring out how to make them.

The 2K1 is the quietest car I have ever owned.

I'll let you know in a year what the reliability is. Hopefully it will be as good as the Sentra that it replaced.
Old 11-07-2000, 06:03 PM
DOM

My RPM's drop below idle when I slow down and my car shakes a little. Is this normal or is it nothing to worry about? My dealership in Santa Rosa CA won't touch my car because it has the stillen intake in it. They say that any modding of the Maxima is bad because of an oversensitive computer that we have. It doesn't adjust well to the mods and therefore they can't look at my car because of the ECU with extra air or Y pipe with extra air. Are they full of crap?
Old 11-07-2000, 06:25 PM

Mike

It better be quiet for 30 large! Yikes
Old 11-07-2000, 09:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

They are absolutely NOT as reliable as Lexus and Mercedes. It's weird you lump in Lexus with Mercedes as if their reliability ratings are similar. Lexus is the most reliable car in the world. The facts support this... Consumer Reports/etc.

/aac
Old 11-09-2000, 08:00 PM

Re: Mike

Originally posted by jnm2kse
It better be quiet for 30 large! Yikes
No one should have to pay $30k for a Maxima. You can even bargain on the AE.