5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

:mad: I was denied state inspection sticker because of the 2K2 Hids.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 07:09 AM

:mad: I was denied state inspection sticker because of the 2K2 Hids.

I was denied a NJ state inspection sticker because of the 2K2 Hids. The reason why is because the Yellow lights don't light up. They only blink. They said it's the law to have them on with your headlights. So now I got to find a way to get them to stay on with my headlights and blink when I turn. Any suggestion how to do this?
Old 10-05-2001, 08:05 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: :mad: I was denied state inspection sticker because of the 2K2 Hids.

Originally posted by thenjman
I was denied a NJ state inspection sticker because of the 2K2 Hids. The reason why is because the Yellow lights don't light up. They only blink. They said it's the law to have them on with your headlights. So now I got to find a way to get them to stay on with my headlights and blink when I turn. Any suggestion how to do this?
That's BS. The 2K2 Maximas don't light up. That's the reason there is the wedge bulb for a running lamp. They don't know what they're talking about!

I would go to a dealer and get them to sign a letter that the 2K2 are ALL like that and maybe it would help.

If that doesn't work, you can just wire the Turn Signal to the side marker, but with the blinking side marker setup. Look in the Sticky Thread for the Side Marker Re-wire(by Russ). If you can't figure it out I can check it out this weekend, but since I don't have the rewired side markers I'm not sure how it's done.
Old 10-05-2001, 08:26 AM

some people are so stupid, they know nothing about cars, yet they inspect them?
Old 10-05-2001, 08:32 AM

Re: Re: :mad: I was denied state inspection sticker because of the 2K2 Hids.

I tried and tried to talk them into passing my car for inspection, but they said NO! So I think I am going to take the running light and wire it into the yellow light and the yellow blinking light to the running light with a yellow bulb. This way I can pass inspection. This sucks!
Old 10-05-2001, 08:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: :mad: I was denied state inspection sticker because of the 2K2 Hids.

I tried and tried to talk them into passing my car for inspection, but they said NO! So I think I am going to take the running light and wire it into the yellow light and the yellow blinking light to the running light with a yellow bulb. This way I can pass inspection. This sucks!
Just wait until they get some 2K2 Maximas coming in for inspection and they'll be changing their tune.

Is it a yearly inspecion?

I'm glad I live in Arizona, because you can get away with ANYTHING.
Old 10-05-2001, 09:15 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

ya know...

I asked about that last week... I suspected that would happen.. Honestly, the 2k2 max will be about the ONLY car I've seen (and I've been looking) that doesnt have forward ambers of some type.
Old 10-05-2001, 10:31 AM
The non-postwhoring Org member

Just go to another Test facility, I am not sure about NJ but here in CA if I have a problem with my car at one place I just go somewhere else. Usually the second person doesn't catch something, accept you run the risk of haveing him find something else wrong. I just shop around till I can find a big enough idiot. (I have lots of experiance dodging the Smog police because of my previous car)
Anywayz good luck.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:10 AM

ummm..

rather than rewire anything... simply put a orange bulb in your running lamps long enough to get thru the inspection.

I think the blinker would be WAAAYYY to bright for a running lamp anyway, right?
Old 10-05-2001, 11:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: :mad: I was denied state inspection sticker because of the 2K2 Hids.

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Just wait until they get some 2K2 Maximas coming in for inspection and they'll be changing their tune.

Is it a yearly inspecion?

I'm glad I live in Arizona, because you can get away with ANYTHING.

Ditto...

Adam

P.s. we should go up to the track soon, its getting colder plus we gotta compare hids!
Old 10-05-2001, 11:47 AM

They put in there computer that I need to get my amber lights to work with my headlights. Now if I take it any other place it will come up to repair the amber light. They are getting very strict with the laws here in New Jersey.
Old 10-05-2001, 12:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :mad: I was denied state inspection sticker because of the 2K2 Hids.

Originally posted by 2000MaximaSE

Ditto...

Adam

P.s. we should go up to the track soon, its getting colder plus we gotta compare hids!
We've been tossing around the idea in the West Coast forum.
Old 10-05-2001, 12:35 PM

They put in there computer that I need to get my amber lights to work with my headlights. Now if I take it any other place it will come up to repair the amber light. They are getting very strict with the laws here in New Jersey.
Don't worry, Hawaii isn't any better. Probably stricter if anything. We have the same idots that don't know diddly squat about cars, but inspect them.
Old 10-05-2001, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by LucentAUTO
some people are so stupid, they know nothing about cars, yet they inspect them?
Where can I see more pictures of your car?
Old 10-05-2001, 01:27 PM

Do you have clear front markers too?

I would think the AMBER front markers would be enough to satisfy them.
Old 10-05-2001, 01:52 PM

I don't have clear side markers. NJ State Inspectors are just a bunch of old farts that have nothing better to do. Now I got to put those ugly yellow lights on. Oh well. I got to do what I got to do.
Old 10-05-2001, 01:57 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Hayes_26

Where can I see more pictures of your car?
That's not his car. It's a Nissan Skyline R34.
Old 10-05-2001, 02:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

That's not his car. It's a Nissan Skyline R34.
doh!
Old 10-05-2001, 02:20 PM

ummmm

why not put a yellow bulb in the running light???? problem solved!
Old 10-05-2001, 02:21 PM

btw

has anyone actually looked at a 2k2 with running lights on to see? I know its only two wires. I guess they *could* pulse the voltage, but that seems pretty unlikely.. however, not having foward facing amber is kinda odd as well.
Old 10-05-2001, 02:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

NJ STATE is a bunch of morons.
Old 10-05-2001, 03:55 PM

Re: btw

Originally posted by TimW
has anyone actually looked at a 2k2 with running lights on to see? I know its only two wires. I guess they *could* pulse the voltage, but that seems pretty unlikely.. however, not having foward facing amber is kinda odd as well.
Seen a couple and I didn't notice ANY amber from the headlamps, just the side marker.
Old 10-05-2001, 03:56 PM

Re: ummmm

why not put a yellow bulb in the running light???? problem solved!
The reason I wouldn't put an amber bulb in for the running lamp is because it's NOT NECESSARY. There is NO WAY possible for Nissan to get away with selling 2K2 Maximas with illegal lighting.

The IDIOTS don't know what they're talking about!
Old 10-05-2001, 04:57 PM

ummmm.. yeah....

I think they are dumbasses... here's what our (AR) law says

§ 27-36-216. Signal lamps and signal devices.

(2)(A) The lamps showing to the front shall be located on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and when in use shall display a white or amber light, or any shade of color between white and amber, visible from a distance of not less one hundred feet (100’) to the front in normal sunlight; and
(B) The lamps showing to the rear shall be located at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and when in use shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than one hundred feet (100‘) to the rear in normal sunlight.
Old 10-05-2001, 05:05 PM

hahahahaha

its anger a redneck mechanic day....

" (b) Front parking lights shall be white, yellow, or amber in color, and shall be securely mounted on the motor vehicle so as to reduce the likelihood of their being obscured by mud or dust thrown up by the wheels. There shall be one front parking light mounted on each side of the vertical centerline of the motor vehicle at the same height and as far apart as practicable."

from NJ state law in inspection practices.. print it out and return for your bright shiny new inspection sticker...

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/aqm/eim99dmvp.doc

page 46, 2 paragraphs from the bottom..

enjoy! do tell us the look on their faces, and please refuse any offers to 'see something outside' or 'come over here with me for a minute'. I'm sure this doc will make them VERY happy..
Old 10-05-2001, 05:09 PM

I put an amber color bulb in where the running light was. They told me that I still need to get my amber light to stay lit with my headlights. I can't seem to get these a*****e off my back. I need that dam sticker!! I have no choice now. Tomorrow I will re-wire my lights.
Old 10-05-2001, 05:15 PM

Re: hahahahaha

its anger a redneck mechanic day....

" (b) Front parking lights shall be white, yellow, or amber in color, and shall be securely mounted on the motor vehicle so as to reduce the likelihood of their being obscured by mud or dust thrown up by the wheels. There shall be one front parking light mounted on each side of the vertical centerline of the motor vehicle at the same height and as far apart as practicable."

from NJ state law in inspection practices.. print it out and return for your bright shiny new inspection sticker...

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/aqm/eim99dmvp.doc

page 46, 2 paragraphs from the bottom..

enjoy! do tell us the look on their faces, and please refuse any offers to 'see something outside' or 'come over here with me for a minute'. I'm sure this doc will make them VERY happy..
TimW,
Thanks i'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for everyones help.
Old 10-05-2001, 10:11 PM

How come an almost brand new car has to pass inspection ??? Here in Canada it is more like old POS that go thrue inspection.

Cheers

doublea
Old 10-06-2001, 02:08 PM

Keep us posted on the final outcome. I'm in NJ and I just finished installing my 2K2 HID's.
Old 10-06-2001, 08:26 PM
Very sound, Mike

2k2 Lights Reference

Hello All, not really sure what is needed but here's a pic of my 2k2 SE with lights on at night.

The yellow/amber lights do come on at night as well as the sidemarkers.

Hope it also helps a bit.

2k2 Lights On
Old 10-06-2001, 08:47 PM

only your running lamps are on

in that pic
Old 10-06-2001, 08:50 PM

Re: 2k2 Lights Reference

Originally posted by soundmike
Hello All, not really sure what is needed but here's a pic of my 2k2 SE with lights on at night.

The yellow/amber lights do come on at night as well as the sidemarkers.

Hope it also helps a bit.

2k2 Lights On
The AMBER light we are talking about is the one that is NOT on in your picture besides the Hi-beam(9005). It only lights up when you use your Turn Signal. It's below the small running lamp and has a AMBER reflector you see during the daytime.
Old 10-07-2001, 01:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: :mad: I was denied state inspection sticker because of the 2K2 Hids.

Man that really blows! You know what I would do if I were you? I would say Ok, if my car cannot pass because the yellow light doesn't stay on, then show me proof where this is a law! I can almost bet that there is nothing in the lawbooks in the state of NJ that says this. Don't even bother trying to rewire it. If that was the case, then every single 2K2 Maxima in the state would fail their inspection. Tell those guys they don't know what the hell they are talking about and ask them to show you proof. Bet they can't.

Shadou
Old 10-07-2001, 09:09 AM

Here's an idea!

Why not test drive a 2k2 right on over to the shop and show them that your lights are the same?
Old 10-07-2001, 09:28 AM

I tried to tell them that all 2K2 maxima are now like this and he told me that my car is not a 2K2 it's a 2k. And that it's illegal to put parts from other years onto older models. so I rewired them today. I don't have time to fight these as****e's. My lights now look like the corvette yellow running lights. It's bright as the sun. I will undo the wiring after inspection tomorrow. Hopefuly he wont' find something else wrong with it. The way I got it wired now is: Running lights are the blinkers. The blinkers are the running lights. This is what they wanted and I did it. I'll inform you tomorrow after inspection to update you on my progress.
Old 10-07-2001, 09:05 PM

I tried to tell them that all 2K2 maxima are now like this and he told me that my car is not a 2K2 it's a 2k. And that it's illegal to put parts from other years onto older models. so I rewired them today. I don't have time to fight these as****e's. My lights now look like the corvette yellow running lights. It's bright as the sun. I will undo the wiring after inspection tomorrow. Hopefuly he wont' find something else wrong with it. The way I got it wired now is: Running lights are the blinkers. The blinkers are the running lights. This is what they wanted and I did it. I'll inform you tomorrow after inspection to update you on my progress.
I know what your saying about how it's easier to just satisfy the Jack A$$ then to argue when it's not going to do any good.

I believe it's ENVY. The Jack A$$ just wishes he had as nice of a car. The response about yours is a 2K and not a 2K2 by them is BS. At least these are DOT approved headlamps and if that was true, they're would be NO cars with Altezzas, projectors, RICE bulbs, etc.... Let's just call it HID envy. Sorry about your luck of having to tolerate dumb A$$ people who don't know what they're talking about.
Old 10-07-2001, 09:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: :mad: I was denied state inspection sticker because of the 2K2 Hids.

Yeh, get it inspected somewhere else.

Old 10-09-2001, 09:22 AM

I got it!

I got it. They gave me my inspection sticker. And my luck it was the same guy who denied me my sticker. He checked it out and apologized for giving me a hard time. He realized that the lights suppose to work that way. He had a few 2k2 come for inspection yesterday. I did the re-wire for nothing. What an a**hole. Well all that matters is that I got my sticker. Thanks for all your support. Steve.