5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bumper painted!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 05:42 AM

Bumper painted!!!

Just had my rear bumper painted (lady backed in to it) and the color does not match. My paint is pearl and the body shop said it is the toughest paint to match. Anybody else have similar problem?
Old 10-06-2001, 06:36 AM

Well, not that I want to back them up, but yes, pearl is one of the toughest. Any light color, even white, is tough to match. You would believe what goes into a color. My other car is a color very similar to the AE Blue - it consists of all kinds of red, purple, green, etc. Very strange how that stuff works.
Old 10-06-2001, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by Pat DiPersia
Well, not that I want to back them up, but yes, pearl is one of the toughest. Any light color, even white, is tough to match. You would believe what goes into a color. My other car is a color very similar to the AE Blue - it consists of all kinds of red, purple, green, etc. Very strange how that stuff works.
My parents used to own a body shop, and I used to mix the paint for the cars..and damn...it was hard as hell to get to the right color. YOu have to keep going back to the paint room and adding a little of this color and a little of that color then go back out to the car to see if it matches. IT is hard..but still they should be able to match the color right or not let it leave their shop.
Old 10-06-2001, 08:32 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I've seen pearl white repainted...

and it matched fine. They used Nissan paint and it was fine. I think pearl is a two step process and isnt easy. also, the paint is quite a bit more expensive. Make sure they actually used Nissan paint and followed the correct procedure.
Old 10-06-2001, 10:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I've seen pearl white repainted...

Originally posted by TimW
and it matched fine. They used Nissan paint and it was fine. I think pearl is a two step process and isnt easy. also, the paint is quite a bit more expensive. Make sure they actually used Nissan paint and followed the correct procedure.
Umm, are you recommending he use the same cheap paint they paint our cars with? The same cheap stuff that chips if a leaf falls on it?

I recently had some paint work done on my car at a Nissan dealer. I'm wondering if they use the same paint as the factory, because I already see some chips and nicks in my new paint.

On hindsight, I should have gone to an independent dealer who uses good quality paint. My car is black, so color-matching wouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-06-2001, 11:18 AM

Re: Re: I've seen pearl white repainted...

It won't be hard to match if they use nissan paint!

Originally posted by Tanmann9

Umm, are you recommending he use the same cheap paint they paint our cars with? The same cheap stuff that chips if a leaf falls on it?

I recently had some paint work done on my car at a Nissan dealer. I'm wondering if they use the same paint as the factory, because I already see some chips and nicks in my new paint.

On hindsight, I should have gone to an independent dealer who uses good quality paint. My car is black, so color-matching wouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-06-2001, 11:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: I've seen pearl white repainted...

Originally posted by rocketshipon19"
It won't be hard to match if they use nissan paint!
Sure, but then you might have to get it painted again once it starts getting nicks with the weak paint.
Old 10-06-2001, 11:53 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

dont confuse paint / flex agent /clear coat.

the 'paint' in not necessarily cheap. a proper base, paint and clear coat will be as strong as any (and flex agents on bumpers). I've had my trunk repainted and it matched great.. its much tougher than the rest of the car because they laid down a generous clearcoat.
Old 10-06-2001, 06:20 PM

Yep, I saw many 3rd and 4th gens of the similar color and each body panel has own color. My friend's dad owns a 92 GXE, he's got it, too.

The bodyshop you took your car to should have provided you with a limited lifetime wtty on the job they did, including paint matching, which is backed up by the ins. company who paid for the claim. You should not have signed off on the paperwork/took delivery of the car in the first place. Try to take it back for them to repaint it (you got a legit concern, almost a new car, man!)and let us know what happens.