5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

what? another 2k2 light post?! have a 2k2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 10:05 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

what? another 2k2 light post?! have a 2k2?

riddle me this, as I havent spent much time with a 2k2. Do the lights have a delay when turning on? or a delay turning off? so they dont flash when being switched.

How bad is a few flashes to the ballasts?
Old 10-10-2001, 10:50 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: what? another 2k2 light post?! have a 2k2?

Originally posted by TimW
riddle me this, as I havent spent much time with a 2k2. Do the lights have a delay when turning on? or a delay turning off? so they dont flash when being switched.

How bad is a few flashes to the ballasts?
I can answer part, but Hogan(yo_its_ok) will have to answer "How Bad Is Flickering the HIDs".

My HIDs do NOT flash. The HI-beams either turn on or off, but the HIDs remain lit. The only time the HIDs flash is when the ALARM is triggered(Should be fixed soon!) and when I switch from OFF over the AUTO switch postion to the running lamps to the NORMAL switch position. This can be fixed also by eliminating the AUTO light sensor, which again should be done soon.
Old 10-10-2001, 05:44 PM

what about those bmws dat turn there lights on and off and use them as high beams
Old 10-10-2001, 07:37 PM

Re: Re: what? another 2k2 light post?! have a 2k2?

Originally posted by IceY2K1

I can answer part, but Hogan(yo_its_ok) will have to answer "How Bad Is Flickering the HIDs".

My HIDs do NOT flash. The HI-beams either turn on or off, but the HIDs remain lit. The only time the HIDs flash is when the ALARM is triggered(Should be fixed soon!) and when I switch from OFF over the AUTO switch postion to the running lamps to the NORMAL switch position. This can be fixed also by eliminating the AUTO light sensor, which again should be done soon.
Triggered as in when it goes off and NOT when it is set? Hopefully that's what you mean. Am I correct in saying that the lights are different than the 2k and the 2k1's in which the 2k2's do NOT turn off when the door is opened after the car is off? Meaning with the 2k2 we have to manually turn them off... maybe there's a way to have it so that we need to only use the parking lights for the day and the HID's etc, at night... then we don't need to flip through the auto part.
Old 10-10-2001, 09:40 PM

Stupid question: what does the daytime running light look? Is it whiter than normal?
Old 10-10-2001, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Stupid question: what does the daytime running light look? Is it whiter than normal?
Looks like a regular stock clear bulb...on the yellowish side. Will look whiter with some aftermarket bulbs. I have the PIAA xtreme whites (wedge bulbs). I know others have Raybrigs.
Old 10-10-2001, 10:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: what? another 2k2 light post?! have a 2k2?

Originally posted by Keh mon

Triggered as in when it goes off and NOT when it is set? Hopefully that's what you mean. Am I correct in saying that the lights are different than the 2k and the 2k1's in which the 2k2's do NOT turn off when the door is opened after the car is off? Meaning with the 2k2 we have to manually turn them off... maybe there's a way to have it so that we need to only use the parking lights for the day and the HID's etc, at night... then we don't need to flip through the auto part.
Yes, when the ALARM is set off it flashes the HIDs. Only the turn signals flash when you ARM/DISARM.

The 2K2 will turn off when you open the door.

I'd rather have no running lamps and just DISABLE the AUTO feature.
Old 10-11-2001, 08:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: what? another 2k2 light post?! have a 2k2?

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Yes, when the ALARM is set off it flashes the HIDs. Only the turn signals flash when you ARM/DISARM.

The 2K2 will turn off when you open the door.

I'd rather have no running lamps and just DISABLE the AUTO feature.
Thanks for the info... yeah disabling the auto feature would be fine with me... or could we just switch the wires from the auto and the on positions?
Old 10-11-2001, 08:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what? another 2k2 light post?! have a 2k2?

Thanks for the info... yeah disabling the auto feature would be fine with me... or could we just switch the wires from the auto and the on positions?

Thats what i said on a different post a few days ago. . .switch the auto to the last one. . .and move parking lights up next to off. . .then u would have. .
OFF - Parking Lights - ON - AUTO instead of what we have now
OFF - AUTO - Parking Lights - ON . . .

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE. . .hehehe
Old 10-11-2001, 08:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what? another 2k2 light post?! have a 2k2?

Originally posted by myktek

Thats what i said on a different post a few days ago. . .switch the auto to the last one. . .and move parking lights up next to off. . .then u would have. .
OFF - Parking Lights - ON - AUTO instead of what we have now
OFF - AUTO - Parking Lights - ON . . .

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE. . .hehehe
hehe yes they do. Now as long as I can ever understand all this relay crap. Sounds like I'll need to do it sometime, but it sounds too complicated for my non-EE mind to understand.
Old 10-11-2001, 09:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what? another 2k2 light post?! have a 2k2?

hehe yes they do. Now as long as I can ever understand all this relay crap. Sounds like I'll need to do it sometime, but it sounds too complicated for my non-EE mind to understand.
Sure, I'd like to switch the AUTO and ON postion, but HOW?

I believe it's not possible since it's all done INSIDE the Combination Switch and controlled by the SMART Control Unit. There isn't any way to do this as far as I can see. Maybe after I get ALL the other $hit figured out I might be able to "ghetto-rig" something, but for now unplugging the AUTO light sensor SEEMS the simplest solution. Plus I like to be able to turn on my running lamps without first turning on the HIDs. The less I turn on then off the HIDs the longer life expectancy they'll have and since the bulbs are going to be over $100 to replace that's my MAIN concern right now.