5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A/T vs 2002 Accord v6

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 02:42 AM

A/T vs 2002 Accord v6

Both stock...who will win 0-60? tried doing a search but haven't seen much about the two racing. I have faith that i'll win...but my friend talks so much smack that it's starting to get to me. the accord is a coupe and my 01 max is an auto. Sorry for asking such a newbie question...it's just that accords i've seen are driven by girls or guys that fix it up too much to even consider racing.
Old 10-12-2001, 03:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

youll probably win.....make sure u torque brake and manually shift..good luck
Old 10-12-2001, 04:40 AM

thanks. hopefully my next post will be a kill post.
Old 10-12-2001, 06:43 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Manually shift and you'll edge him out.
Old 10-12-2001, 06:52 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Manually shift and you'll edge him out.
Yep, you guys have the advantage (stock vs. stock) against Accord V6's, but only if you manually shift to bypass your crappy 5900rpm shift point. If you don't, you won't hit your 222HP peak at 6400rpm and you'll have no more power than an Accord V6. If you do you should edge it out, as long as you don't bounce off of the rev limiter. So I would recommend that you:

1) Brake-Torque
2) Manually shift.
3) Practice #1 and #2 until you can launch well and know when to shift to avoid bouncing off of the rev limiter.

Good luck

And tell your smack-talking Accord V6 friend to stop by AccordV6.com and we'll whip him into shape and teach him to respect the Max, unless you do it yourself first-hand
Old 10-12-2001, 06:55 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Took you long enough to answer, Steve.
Old 10-12-2001, 07:05 AM
Got Bent?

its strange.... when I bounce of the limiter in first, it seems to pull stronger in second.... wierd.... but I try not to test it out too much
Old 10-12-2001, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
its strange.... when I bounce of the limiter in first, it seems to pull stronger in second.... wierd.... but I try not to test it out too much
probably because when you hit the rev-limiter your acceleration rate drops to zero and then you get a relatively bigger kick in the butt when you hit 2nd, so your butt-dyno gets faked out thinking you're pulling harder.

Originally posted by Y2KevSE (#1 Post *****)
Took you long enough to answer, Steve. :-)
Oh sorry, oh great one. You know I could never compare to you with your 20,000 posts and 5 second response time to all posts. Some of us work and sleep, ya know!!

Old 10-12-2001, 07:26 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by SteVTEC
probably because when you hit the rev-limiter your acceleration rate drops to zero and then you get a relatively bigger kick in the butt when you hit 2nd, so your butt-dyno gets faked out thinking you're pulling harder.
could be....
Old 10-12-2001, 07:34 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Oh sorry, oh great one. You know I could never compare to you with your 20,000 posts and 5 second response time to all posts. Some of us work and sleep, ya know!! :cheese

Are you mocking me? :P
Old 10-12-2001, 02:20 PM

Yep, you guys have the advantage (stock vs. stock) against Accord V6's, but only if you manually shift to bypass your crappy 5900rpm shift point. If you don't, you won't hit your 222HP peak at 6400rpm and you'll have no more power than an Accord V6. If you do you should edge it out, as long as you don't bounce off of the rev limiter. So I would recommend that you:

1) Brake-Torque...

What is brake torque and how do you do it?
Old 10-12-2001, 03:09 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by Menacer

What is brake torque and how do you do it?
You put your foot on the brake and gas at the same time. Then when its time to go, you take your foot off the brake and then slowly roll away wishing you had a five speed.

Experiment...
Old 10-12-2001, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg

...Then when its time to go, you take your foot off the brake and then slowly roll away wishing you had a five speed.

Experiment...
Old 10-12-2001, 04:29 PM

I thought stepping on brakes and gas is bad...

Man, it takes that much for a stock Max to beat an Accord, that's kinda sad/scary. My roommate has a 98 Accord V6, we were going to race but I don't know, might lose! =)
Old 10-12-2001, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by hawk
I thought stepping on brakes and gas is bad...

Man, it takes that much for a stock Max to beat an Accord, that's kinda sad/scary. My roommate has a 98 Accord V6, we were going to race but I don't know, might lose! =)
Well see the whole thing is Nissan's retardedness and their crappy short-shifting "autotragic" tranny. The sucker shifts at 5900rpm on you when redline is at 6500 and peak horsepower is at 6400rpm. You never get the full potential out of the car unless you manually shift to avoid the short shifting.

That's really stupid if you ask me, and this is one of the reasons why I didn't buy a Maxima, but an Accord V6 instead. I think it's almost grounds for a lawsuit if the standard programming on the tranny never takes it up to the full 222HP but rather maybe only 200 or so. What a gip.

In the Accord V6 the tranny shifts right at redline for us so we don't have to worry about crap like this when racing.

As for brake-torquing, yes, it does put a pretty hefty load on the transmission, and yes, it can be bad for it. You don't want to do it for more than a few seconds or else you can overheat your transmission, and heat is the #1 cause of auto tranny failure. If you drive in a spirited fashion, or you're going to be racing/brake-torquing a lot then I would strongly recommend getting a Transmission cooler to help prevent heat buildup.

Go ahead and race your buddy with the Accord V6. If you don't power-shift you'll probably only be even with him and it could go either way, but power-shifting (manually shifting) at redline and thus bypassing the short-shift should allow you to edge him out, assuming you both launch equally well.

One tip that the guys here will tell you is that you need to practice your shift timing. i.e. start out with the shifter in 1st gear, but to avoid bouncing off of the rev limiter you'll actually need to shift at like 6100rpm or so because the shift isn't instantaneous. I think doing that will get the shift in right at redline and you should be good to go.
Old 10-12-2001, 08:49 PM

hey where's your Maxima spirit?! To all of those Maxima owners I say you smoke any stock Accord day or night, they're slow-*** cars.
My personal experience: my 5spd GXE and an auto V6 Accord w5K miles on it. I pulled on him so hard from the stop, like 3 cars at once. If you got an auto, whatta hell, you gain 2 cars on him. Auto 5th gen Max is comparable to 3.2 TL in speed.
Old 10-12-2001, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
hey where's your Maxima spirit?! To all of those Maxima owners I say you smoke any stock Accord day or night, they're slow-*** cars.
My personal experience: my 5spd GXE and an auto V6 Accord w5K miles on it. I pulled on him so hard from the stop, like 3 cars at once.
well duh...you had a 5spd!

A 5spd Max will smoke an autotragic Max just the same.

If you got an auto, whatta hell, you gain 2 cars on him. Auto 5th gen Max is comparable to 3.2 TL in speed.
Probably true, but only if you shift manually.
Old 10-12-2001, 09:05 PM
is invisible

How dare you !

Well see the whole thing is Nissan's retardedness and their crappy short-shifting "autotragic" tranny. The sucker shifts at 5900rpm on you when redline is at 6500 and peak horsepower is at 6400rpm. You never get the full potential out of the car unless you manually shift to avoid the short shifting.

That's really stupid if you ask me, and this is one of the reasons why I didn't buy a Maxima, but an Accord V6 instead. I think it's almost grounds for a lawsuit if the standard programming on the tranny never takes it up to the full 222HP but rather maybe only 200 or so. What a gip.
Who do you think you are...MAximas always win!
Old 10-12-2001, 09:15 PM

Re: How dare you !

Originally posted by CoolMax
Who do you think you are...MAximas always win!:rolleyes

Sorry, my brain consistently overpowers my ego and doesn't allow me to make blanket statements like that
Old 10-12-2001, 09:21 PM

Don't race him. Ur wasting ur time. Our automagics are mich slower than those V6 coupes. My last car was a 2000 Accord V6 coupe. Way faster than my Max. Even with my y-pipe and intake. The Accord will pull to red-line significantly quiker. Still, I would not trade my Max for the Accord again.
Old 10-12-2001, 09:56 PM
nc00max

Originally posted by rubman
Don't race him. Ur wasting ur time. Our automagics are mich slower than those V6 coupes. My last car was a 2000 Accord V6 coupe. Way faster than my Max. Even with my y-pipe and intake. The Accord will pull to red-line significantly quiker. Still, I would not trade my Max for the Accord again.
You might wanna take your Maxima in for a checkup or to get it dynoed to see what kind of hp you're making. Having owned an '98 Accord LXV6 Sedan and my auto Maxima, there's no way that Accord would blow away the Maxima in it's stock form. They're pretty much neck and neck when the Max is left in D, but like everyone has been saying, manually shifting will give the Max back it's 22hp advantage and make the race pretty one-sided. From my own experiences with the couple of V6 Accords I raced before I had any mods, or knew about torque braking or manually shifting (basically before I found Maxima.org one day...), I was still able to edge them out to 60 and after that it wasn't much of a contest. When I had my Accord, I was dead even with 4G Max's and even got edged out by a couple of those. As far as getting beat by one with your intake and y-pipe on, you would really have to have something wrong with your car to lose with a 40hp advantage, early shifting or not.

Old 10-12-2001, 09:59 PM

I agree. A modded automagic Max should smoke a stock Accord V6 quite easily.
Old 10-12-2001, 10:18 PM

Re: Re: How dare you !

Sorry, my brain consistently overpowers my ego and doesn't allow me to make blanket statements like that

Old 10-12-2001, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by nc00max

You might wanna take your Maxima in for a checkup or to get it dynoed to see what kind of hp you're making. Having owned an '98 Accord LXV6 Sedan and my auto Maxima, there's no way that Accord would blow away the Maxima in it's stock form. They're pretty much neck and neck when the Max is left in D, but like everyone has been saying, manually shifting will give the Max back it's 22hp advantage and make the race pretty one-sided. From my own experiences with the couple of V6 Accords I raced before I had any mods, or knew about torque braking or manually shifting (basically before I found Maxima.org one day...), I was still able to edge them out to 60 and after that it wasn't much of a contest. When I had my Accord, I was dead even with 4G Max's and even got edged out by a couple of those. As far as getting beat by one with your intake and y-pipe on, you would really have to have something wrong with your car to lose with a 40hp advantage, early shifting or not.
Since you seem to be familiar with manually shifting an automagic Max.
How about explaining a newbie Max brother how to manually shift his Max so that he can post some kills asap?
Old 10-12-2001, 10:38 PM

How about explaining a newbie Max brother how to manually shift his Max so that he can post some kills asap?
dam dude! you've got a lot on your car for a newbie.
Old 10-12-2001, 10:43 PM
nc00max

Well, I've found the best rpms to go from 1st to 2nd is right at 5900, cause it takes the tranny that long to shift. That should bring you all the way up to 6600. If ya haven't done it before, you might wanna try shifting at 5800 or so so you don't hit the rev limiter until you get used to it. As far as 2-3 goes, I usually bump it up to D at 6300-6400 and it hits redline without hitting the limiter pretty nicely. You can feel a big difference in the top of the gear you're in as well as the next gear seeming to take up quicker. It kinda helps to keep the rpms up higher in the powerband too. Not as good as a 5spd, but at least it's something. And don't forget your brake torque either, cause that helps your launch quite a bit.

Old 10-12-2001, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg

You put your foot on the brake and gas at the same time. Then when its time to go, you take your foot off the brake and then slowly roll away wishing you had a five speed.

Experiment...
Actually i have tried this and the always launches so i guess my brakes are bad or something cause if i do that the car won't stay still, not even for a second. I will try again when I get to this place by work. Thanks for anwering my post.
Old 10-12-2001, 10:54 PM

start out with the shifter in 1st gear, but to avoid bouncing off of the rev limiter you'll actually need to shift at like 6100rpm or so because the shift isn't instantaneous. I think doing that will get the shift in right at redline and you should be good to go.
This past week i was driving and i floored it and even though I wasn't manually shifting my auto somehow it redline and it just died on me. What I mean is, the rpms droped dramatically and it seemed like it didn't want to go. Then i let off some and a few seconds later the rpms started to clim again. I think I hit the rev limiter which i have never done even when maually shifting.
Old 10-12-2001, 11:02 PM

I agree. A modded automagic Max should smoke a stock Accord V6 quite easily.
I hate to admit it but I had no idea an Accord could hang with a Max. I'm glad I read this thread.
Old 10-12-2001, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by annimax

I hate to admit it but I had no idea an Accord could hang with a Max. I'm glad I read this thread.
Auto Maxes are slow...from a stop V6 Camrys, Accords, Tauruses, Impalas...they can all hang with us
Old 10-13-2001, 03:14 AM

Friend is still talking smack. Guess he's all talk and no action. I'm used to manually shifting to 6000rpms(just so i dont hit the rev limiter) and torque braking ever since i've seen a friend do it on his 99 I30. Even got good enough at it to beat him(he abuses his car a lot so maybe that can explain why). Only if my friend would step up to the plate and race me.
Old 10-13-2001, 10:01 AM

well we had this race, 97 Camry V6 auto w/80K miles on it, '01 Accord LX v6 sedan (5k mi), and me (2K GXE 5spd 15K mi).

We all know that Camrys are slow. But it blew by that new Accord like you wouldnt believe. Of course, I was da man of that evenin' by killin a TL later on..To all of you, GTP and VTEC lovers, we drive Maximas.
Old 10-13-2001, 03:24 PM

Lots of different experiences here. It is safe to say no 2 cars, even if the same year or mods, is going to be the same. But a stock A/T Max should be able to take a Accord coupe. As for modded Max automagics... don't know about everyone else, but I can hang and sometimes beat Mustang 5.0s, E36 BMW M3s and Acura Type-Ss... depending on the driver... don't tell the Type-S guys this, or they will be back here *****ing again!
Old 10-14-2001, 05:05 PM

In the Accord V6 the tranny shifts right at redline for us so we don't have to worry about crap like this when racing.

As for brake-torquing, yes, it does put a pretty hefty load on the transmission, and yes, it can be bad for it. You don't want to do it for more than a few seconds or else you can overheat your transmission, and heat is the #1 cause of auto tranny failure. If you drive in a spirited fashion, or you're going to be racing/brake-torquing a lot then I would strongly recommend getting a Transmission cooler to help prevent heat buildup.

Go ahead and race your buddy with the Accord V6. If you don't power-shift you'll probably only be even with him and it could go either way, but power-shifting (manually shifting) at redline and thus bypassing the short-shift should allow you to edge him out, assuming you both launch equally well.

One tip that the guys here will tell you is that you need to practice your shift timing. i.e. start out with the shifter in 1st gear, but to avoid bouncing off of the rev limiter you'll actually need to shift at like 6100rpm or so because the shift isn't instantaneous. I think doing that will get the shift in right at redline and you should be good to go.
My auto max doesn't shift at 5900rpm..what is wrong with all these ppl having auto max shifted at 5900rpm?
Old 10-14-2001, 05:13 PM

My personal experience: my 5spd GXE and an auto V6 Accord w5K miles on it. I pulled on him so hard from the stop, like 3 cars at once. If you got an auto, whatta hell, you gain 2 cars on him. Auto 5th gen Max is comparable to 3.2 TL in speed.
That is what I am saying...my auto max smoked my friend's auto v6(with mods) accord from dead stop, uphill and highway..there is no contest..for those who expriences slow tranny shift..did you upgrade the newest TCM from Nissan??? cuz my updated TCM shifts from 1st to second gear so hard that i thought i have VB mod!!!!

Old 10-14-2001, 05:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

huh?
Old 10-14-2001, 05:44 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by MaxTuner

My auto max doesn't shift at 5900rpm..what is wrong with all these ppl having auto max shifted at 5900rpm?
where does yours shift at? Mine shifts 6000-6200 consistently
Old 10-14-2001, 06:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

where does yours shift at? Mine shifts 6000-6200 consistently
[/QUOTE

Yeah,,mine shifts around 6200-6300 consistently too..so what's all this talk about shifting at 5900rpm???

I think those who shifts at 5900rpm should really get their cars checked by nissan(if they are willing to update with the newest TCM and other stuff) check TSB on top of this page.

And for beating an auto accord, dont know why there is such a discussion about it...auto max will kill an accord modded or not easy..especially on top end when our intake switches runner,,it's a bye bye for them maybe modded accord(with comptech header, AEM cold air, full catback exhaust) VS. stock auto max..the modded accord will probably edge out by a little. (like my friend's car)..but once i got all the mods below..it's bye bye for them again regardless of what they do...unless they get custom SC system so they can blow up their weak auto tranny...
Old 10-14-2001, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by nc00max

Well, I've found the best rpms to go from 1st to 2nd is right at 5900, cause it takes the tranny that long to shift. That should bring you all the way up to 6600. If ya haven't done it before, you might wanna try shifting at 5800 or so so you don't hit the rev limiter until you get used to it. As far as 2-3 goes, I usually bump it up to D at 6300-6400 and it hits redline without hitting the limiter pretty nicely. You can feel a big difference in the top of the gear you're in as well as the next gear seeming to take up quicker. It kinda helps to keep the rpms up higher in the powerband too. Not as good as a 5spd, but at least it's something. And don't forget your brake torque either, cause that helps your launch quite a bit.

Thanks for the tip, as soon as my car comes out of the shop(getting clear side markers, 02 tails, mud guards done) I will try it out. Again, thanks.
Old 10-15-2001, 01:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Ludacris

Auto Maxes are slow...from a stop V6 Camrys, Accords, Tauruses, Impalas...they can all hang with us
what are you sayin!!!!!!!!! come on now, tauruses,camrys, I dont think so!Ive raced several of the above mentioned and havent had much competion yet!!!(Ive never raced an Impala). not only that but my last job was valet at a casino in Gulfport and Ive literally driven hundreds of 2000 camrys accords tauruses and impalas and the Maxima is Definitly the fastest!!and yes I have an automatic, To be honest W/ you if those cars are hangin w/ you somthins not right!! I could see the 2000+ accord hangin but absolutely not a ford Taurus!!

Quick Reply: A/T vs 2002 Accord v6