5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Any Mods that won't void warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 04:42 PM

Any Mods that won't void warranty??

Recently purchased a 2K1 GXE and I am anxious to start modifying my car. I am wondering what performance mods I can make to my car that will not void my warranty. Of those that won't void my warranty, which provides the most bang for the buck? I appreciate your help. I can't wait to see what my Max will do!!
Old 10-16-2001, 05:36 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

To address the warranty, no mods will automatically void the warranty except maybe nos or supercharger. The best stuff to get for the max to start off with are intake and y pipe. You want to think about the muffler at some point also. The suspension can really benefit from front strut tower brace (fstb) and a rear sway bar (rsb). To find out more on each mod, you can go to search and type it in and see what other's experiences have been. It is better to use a partial name search, at least it works better for me that way. I've had my 2K1 AE for about 3 months and I love it except for the paint. Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by sloppymax
To address the warranty, no mods will automatically void the warranty except maybe nos or supercharger. The best stuff to get for the max to start off with are intake and y pipe. You want to think about the muffler at some point also. The suspension can really benefit from front strut tower brace (fstb) and a rear sway bar (rsb). To find out more on each mod, you can go to search and type it in and see what other's experiences have been. It is better to use a partial name search, at least it works better for me that way. I've had my 2K1 AE for about 3 months and I love it except for the paint. Hope this helps.
Has anyone had any experiences dealing with modifications and warranties? I have been told that as soon as I change something like the intake, the warranty will no longer be obligated. I am concerned because I had some trouble with my dealer and convinced his to throw in a 10 year powertrain warranty, so obviously I dont want to lose out on it. Could someone list maybe the top 5 mods that are good to start with? I am definitely thinking about new springs, intake, FSTB. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:30 PM
JET Speed Lab

Old 10-16-2001, 06:36 PM

Re: Any Mods that won't void warranty??

Originally posted by jtkirk00
Recently purchased a 2K1 GXE and I am anxious to start modifying my car. I am wondering what performance mods I can make to my car that will not void my warranty. Of those that won't void my warranty, which provides the most bang for the buck? I appreciate your help. I can't wait to see what my Max will do!!
Warranty?? if you dont get any extended warranty, its like 2 years 20,000 miles for my 2k max. pretty pathetic dont u think when freakin HYUNDAI or wutever S(*T company is givin out 100k warranties and stuff.
who cares.. i jus gotta start my exhaust and intake mods next summer.. now im lookin for strobes and the underglow kit.
peaaaace
Old 10-16-2001, 06:37 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

if you are worried about getting an intake and getting lip from your dealer then just get a k&n drop in filter. not as much horsepower, but you wont lose torque and the dealership cant say anything.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:43 PM

most cosmetic mods should not void your warranty. I view anything that gives you power will stir up things especially if it has something to do with your warranty claim.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:45 PM

the best place to find out if your warranty would be voided is at the dealership--they CAN'T tell you your warranty is voided just b/c you have some mods, the mods MUST have caused whatever problem you are having with your car and THAT PART of the warranty can be voided
Old 10-16-2001, 06:45 PM
Got Bent?

it really all depends on the dealer and what type of work you are trying to get done. You can discuss mods with your service department and see what they say. But, they surely can not refuse to do warranty work unless they prove that what you modified caused the problem... this is the law.

hehehe.... my car was in a few backs for a bad O2 sensor. I have a y-pipe, but since the front 02 sensor was bad, they probably never even jacked the car up to check the exhaust.... they replaced it wuthout question....
Old 10-16-2001, 06:47 PM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by Green_2
most cosmetic mods should not void your warranty. I view anything that gives you power will stir up things especially if it has something to do with your warranty claim.
i wanted to post up the newbie smilie before anyone got to this thread
Old 10-16-2001, 08:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think the maxima.org sticker is good for 20hp at the wheels and will definately not void your warranty.

Seriously I've done a lot of reading on this issue and UMD_MaxSE
is 100% correct. The only way they can void your warranty is if the mod caused the problem to the part under warranty. A good place to do some reading is:

http://www.sema.org/

You can also do a search on this forum and come up with some good info. Just use common sense as well. If they tell you that your y-pipe caused a proplem to your tranny then they are full of it. Its all how you approach them about it. But if you don't want to take any chances use a K&N Drop in the stock air box. Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2001, 05:24 AM

I know its a real pain, but if you wanted an intake and stuff, you could always put the stock intake back on when you go to the dealer to have service work done... As for other mods, I realize this isn't that easy to do.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:38 AM

Thanks so much for your replies so far. I still have a few more questions. 1. When you guys speak of an intake, are you referring to something like a JWT Pop Charger or a CAI? 2. I know I should get stoned for asking this question but, with some of these mods, what could I expect to happen to my gas mileage? 3. Has anyone had experience with Street Scene's Speed Grille for their Max? If so, what do you think about it? 4. I'm still looking for someone to offer their opinion on the top 5 mods that provide the most bang for your buck. THanks a lot.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:43 AM
Got Bent?

top power mods:

Intake (JWT/Stillen, CAI, or OSCAI)
Y-pipe
UDP
hi-flow cat
b-pipe/catback
Old 10-17-2001, 07:41 AM

remember that there are some emissions concerns with y-pipe during inspection and they are "officially" not street legal...

I'd reccommend the RSB and FSTB first, they change how the car feels a lot, Nissan thinks they made a "sports sedan" but it is still really loose, the bars help tighten the car up...
Old 10-17-2001, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by bcannon
remember that there are some emissions concerns with y-pipe during inspection and they are "officially" not street legal...
None of the y pipes available for the max pass emissions?? that blowzz if thats the case. i gotta look into the Greddy exhaust for my next mod then..and the Jim wolf intake. anyone know about the cat. converter from random technologies?? some impressive dynos there..but no dynos for a 2k max. so i gotta still look into that.
Old 10-17-2001, 08:18 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Raf2kMax

None of the y pipes available for the max pass emissions?? that blowzz if thats the case. i gotta look into the Greddy exhaust for my next mod then..and the Jim wolf intake. anyone know about the cat. converter from random technologies?? some impressive dynos there..but no dynos for a 2k max. so i gotta still look into that.

they will pass emissions if you still have the main cat. As for the RT cat, don't get that unless you have a y-pipe already....