5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: what kind of strut Bar/ Sway Bar should i get
stillen sway bar
31.58%
cattman sway bar
42.11%
otto strut bar
31.58%
ebay strut bar
15.79%
stillen strut bar
10.53%
cattman strut bar
21.05%
other
0%
Dont get one
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

strut Bar/Rear sway Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 12:00 PM

strut Bar/Rear sway Bar?

I want to get a sway bar and a strut Bar but i dont know what kind i should get or if they work as well as expected i need to know if they work or what kind i should get. Because my car cant take a corner and sway really bad it feel like a boat. If you have what kind do you have and can you feel the difference.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Cletus

please read the stickies and FAQs

very common mods...the info is available already

FYI, your car handles bad because you have 20s
Old 09-15-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan

very common mods...the info is available already

FYI, your car handles bad because you have 20s
FYI Iam on stocks now

the search icon isnt at the top anymore you wanna shoot me the link.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:32 PM

I have had the Addco Rear Sway Bar installed on my 2001 for over four years and it has performed very well for me. It allows the vehicle to make sharper turns in general. I started notice some significant surface rusting and weathering on the RSB over the past year, but it is holding up fine. I have also had the Nissan Front Strut Sway Bar installed for the same amount of time. They work well together. Good luck!

Stillen products are probably still ridiculously expensive. I remember Cattman making good products when I was much more active on this messageboard.

~ Kirk
Old 09-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Cletus

thanks for the spoon feed
Old 09-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by playboi21617
the search icon isnt at the top anymore you wanna shoot me the link.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:55 PM

i used to have the otto front strut bar...noticible increase in handling, better looks, and not too expensive for the nice qualilty
Old 09-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Cletus

since this is going nowhere...
the RSB has noticeable improvement
the FSTB has minimal improvement

also
LTB has very noticeable improvement
Old 09-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have been running an Otto Front Strut Bar and Stillen Rear Anti-Sway bar. The combo works out great. The Anti-Sway Bar has a bigger impact, but they both help stiffen our chassis for better handling through the corners.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:39 AM
97' SE 5spd.

Stillen/ Cattman

I purchased a front srut bar from Stillen and had nothing but problems (as ive had in the past with them ordering my ram air intake). They sent the wrong part and when they tried to send the right one it took them three tries to get it right. Stillen tried to have me pay for shipping on the return of the wrong product and due to my think headedness know own 3 wrong srut bars!!!
I went to Cattman this week actually for a rear sway bar and had no problems i called them befor they opened and later on that day one of there reps. called me to see if there was anything they could do to help since thay noticed the missed call (thats unheard of you mean custemer care people who Care... Rare). I then askes the Cattman rep if he could point me in the right direction for a REAR STRUT BAR b/c i cant find them anywhere online, and you know what he did. Sucked up his pride and poointed me to Stillen. Sending me to the competition just to make me the customer happy. Now although stillen doesnt make the REAR STRUT BAR and i still wasnt able to find one the Cattman rep sure tried, and for that i will continue to use Cattman as my premire supplyer!!

P.S. can anyone help with a rear upper strut bar 97 maxima
Old 09-16-2007, 07:50 PM

i vote no on the rear sway bar because i've read bad things about snap oversteer at the handling limits.. i would love to get one for the handling advantages, but i'm just afraid that i'll go flying into a ditch somewhere if a accidentally take a corner too fast.. and i dont have any experience in controlling an oversteering car.. you should probably consider that in your decision

Last edited by wyche89; 09-16-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by wyche89
i vote no on the rear sway bar because i've read bad things about snap oversteer at the handling limits.. i would love to get one for the handling advantages, but i'm just afraid that i'll go flying into a ditch somewhere if a accidentally take a corner too fast.. and i dont have any experience in controlling an oversteering car.. you should probably consider that in your decision
urban legend

if you know your car's limits, it can only improve your handling
Old 09-16-2007, 08:25 PM

urban legend

is it? i've never slid off the road before, and don't plan on being close to that point.. but we all know that stuff can happen, and i don't wanna be "snapped" off the road in such an event... so it really doesnt actually cause any snap oversteer at the limits like people have said on this site?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Cletus

is it? i've never slid off the road before, and don't plan on being close to that point.. but we all know that stuff can happen, and i don't wanna be "snapped" off the road in such an event... so it really doesnt actually cause any snap oversteer at the limits like people have said on this site?
staying on the road is all in your hands...know your car's limits
Old 09-17-2007, 04:31 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by dblock1
I purchased a front srut bar from Stillen and had nothing but problems (as ive had in the past with them ordering my ram air intake). They sent the wrong part and when they tried to send the right one it took them three tries to get it right. Stillen tried to have me pay for shipping on the return of the wrong product and due to my think headedness know own 3 wrong srut bars!!!
I went to Cattman this week actually for a rear sway bar and had no problems i called them befor they opened and later on that day one of there reps. called me to see if there was anything they could do to help since thay noticed the missed call (thats unheard of you mean custemer care people who Care... Rare). I then askes the Cattman rep if he could point me in the right direction for a REAR STRUT BAR b/c i cant find them anywhere online, and you know what he did. Sucked up his pride and poointed me to Stillen. Sending me to the competition just to make me the customer happy. Now although stillen doesnt make the REAR STRUT BAR and i still wasnt able to find one the Cattman rep sure tried, and for that i will continue to use Cattman as my premire supplyer!!

P.S. can anyone help with a rear upper strut bar 97 maxima

Old 09-17-2007, 04:35 PM

i would say screw both and just get SFC's.. from what i've read they greatly outshine the rear sway bar and front strut bar as far as handling performance for not that much more money
Old 09-17-2007, 05:10 PM
I R The Law

i would say screw both and just get SFC's.. from what i've read they greatly outshine the rear sway bar and front strut bar as far as handling performance for not that much more money
Dude you need more than just SFC's for a car to handle well. You need a combination of suspension parts for a car to handle well. SFC's will not do everything. Yes it will help the car be more stable but thats not the only thing.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

urban legend

I like the way my car handles better w/o the rear sway bar
Old 09-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by The Law
Dude you need more than just SFC's for a car to handle well. You need a combination of suspension parts for a car to handle well. SFC's will not do everything. Yes it will help the car be more stable but thats not the only thing.
Wanna trade your eibachs for my ksports?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by joebangaa
I like the way my car handles better w/o the rear sway bar
shut up law.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:36 PM

oh yeah, i wasnt saying that was the only thing.. but from what i've read, SFC's will go a longer way in improving handling than any sway or strut bar that u can put on a maxima.. so if you're looking for the biggest handling improvement mod for our cars.. SFC's would be better 2 get than a sway or strut bar
Old 09-18-2007, 04:39 PM
I R The Law

oh yeah, i wasnt saying that was the only thing.. but from what i've read, SFC's will go a longer way in improving handling than any sway or strut bar that u can put on a maxima.. so if you're looking for the biggest handling improvement for on cars.. SFC's would be better 2 get than a sway or strut bar
If a person is to get SFC's, he/she has to be willing to have them welded on which are permanent. So usually people will not go that route.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:43 PM

If a person is to get SFC's, he/she has to be willing to have them welded on which are permanent. So usually people will not go that route.
i would.. lol.. screw that.. is there any disadvantage to SFC's besides the slight ground clearance issue?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:49 PM
I R The Law

i would.. lol.. screw that.. is there any disadvantage to SFC's besides the slight ground clearance issue?
You would but not everyone else would. Besides ground clearance, added weight. They are heavy suckers but I can't really remember how much they weighed as they have been on the car for quite some time now.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:54 PM

You would but not everyone else would. Besides ground clearance, added weight. They are heavy suckers but I can't really remember how much they weighed as they have been on the car for quite some time now.
if i remember correctly it's like 40 pounds or so.. i'll take that little bit of extra weight for the big handling advantages.. but like you said.. different stokes for different folks... i just wanted to make the OP aware that there are other, possibly better options besides sway/strut bars to improve handling