5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need some electrical help - Auto door locks and Int. Lights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:17 PM

Need some electrical help - Auto door locks and Int. Lights don't work

My auto door locks (remote or at the door), and my interior lights (map, mirror, and dome) don't work. I checked all of the fuses and can't figure out what it could be.

I was checking the LED on my heated seat switch. When I reconnected everything I noticed that my remote didn't work. Then I noticed that everything else was out.

Again, I checked all of the fuses in the engine bay and in the passenger area, and couldn't find a broken fuse. Anyone got a good idea of what this could be?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:28 PM

How did the problem start? Just out of the blue? Was some part of the electrical system worked on recently?

How did you check your fuses? Visual check? Fuse tester. I have heard other people say all their fuses are OK but when they really checked they found a faulty one.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:40 PM

i assume you didn't overlook the obvious...sound's exactly like a dead battery? is it connected?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:53 PM

Ok, so here's the sequence of events:

1. Take out console to install XM radio (6+ mo ago)
2. LED for driver's heated seat goes out, but seat still works (2+ mo ago)
3. Battery dies mysteriously (1 mo ago)
4. I can feel the driver's heated seat come on when I haven't activated it (1 wk ago). I disconnect the heated seat fuse that day.

Today:
5. I take the console apart again, and check the heated seat connection. Stupidly, I have the radio on to listen to a game. Confirm, just the LED is out, and I think that the seats still work (didn't have time to let them heat up).
6. I park my car at the movie theater, and try to use the remote to lock the doors, nothing. Try to use the auto door locks on the driver's control panel, nothing. OP-test other features, and find that none of the interior lights work.
7. Get it home and Visually check all of the fuses.

I'll go to Autozone tomorrow and get a fuse tester.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:24 PM

I would say blown fuse, but since I have 4th gen electrical diagrams can't point to correct one. It's F26 7.5A fuse on 4th gen. This fuse actually protects may circuits. My guess is that 5th gen wiring is probaly similar. Usually spare fuses are included if you don't find faulty fuse switch out all 7.5 amp one at a time with spare fuse. I would expect the faulty fuse to be in passenger cabin just like 4th gen Maxima.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:28 PM

I have also had someone tell me they tested all fuses with a fuse tester and could not find a blown fuse but later testing revealed a blown fuse, Test carefully. I would almost definitly say blown fuse, if not than you forgot to restore a connection. Good Luck!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:44 AM

I can't think of what connection that's under the console that would have disconnected the convenience lights. Here's what connections I can remember:
1. Heated seats (2)
2. Window screen thingy (it's an I30)
3. Rear cigarette outlet (I30)
That's what is confusing. All of the fuses "look" good, and all of the connections seem to be in place. I'm obviously missing something.

I'll look at the fuses again, probably scan the passenger fuse diagram at some point.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:31 PM

You say the fuses look good, did you test them? Either buy a couple new ones and start swapping, or use a volt meter and check for continuity. I've been fooled by bad fuses before that look good.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:06 PM

Visually inspecting fuses almost never works for me. HAHA I almost always think a fuse is good and after several hours of testing and questions I finally replace the fuse and bam, works fine. Looks can be deceiving.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Same thing happened to me a few months back, its a fuse. I cant remember which one, but i think its the int. light fuse, and for some reason, the locks are on the same one. Hope the same works for you
Old 10-10-2007, 06:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey man it is a fuse in the dash panel it is like the third one down on the left side or something but it happened to me. it will keep blowing if you cant find the problem and if it does you just need to have the key on and then everything will work but your trunk light and door lights will go on when you turn on the lights or open the door. mine was the dome light the metal case was grounding on the roof. good luck
Old 10-10-2007, 07:52 PM

I used the fuse tester... will look at all of the connections under the console again, but will probably end up just replacing a few of the fuses just in case. I'll update on Fri when I have more time.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:07 PM

Fuse tester showed? All good? Seems more likely blown fuse than connection problem. Unfortunately some of the fuses protect many circuits so it can be difficult to trouble shoot. I don't have 5th gen wiring diagram so can't help much there.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:46 PM

Mysterious new symptoms:
1. Trunk release not working
2. Door/Trunk Open dash lights come on when I turn on any of these accessories: Defrost, Dome light, Convenience light, Vanity mirrors. Any combination of these makes the lights brighter. The Vanity mirrors are dim, and become more dim when I use any one of the other accessories. So, each of these accessories affecting each other.
3. When I turn the car on, the door locks work again either with the door button or with the keyless remote.

So, not sure what to do at this point.
-- I traded out a few fuses, no luck.
-- Then I looked down at the wiring under the console just in case I cut and exposed some wiring that may have caused a short. Doesn't seem like the case.
-- I got behind the cover underneath the steering wheel to see if there are any simple wires I could see that would be loose, or something. Obviously nothing.

So, not being an electrical person, it looks like I have crossed wires somewhere in the car some how. Could this have all been caused by me working on the heated seat switches when the car was on?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:35 PM

It strange when so many problems pop up at once. When I look at the wiring diagrams most of these circuits have noting in common except for the ignition switch (it's a possibility) and ignition relay. You working on the heated switches should not have caused the problem. But, try disconnecting some of the connections or switches you worked on, one at a time, and see if the car returns to somewhat normal conditions, If it does you are in the right area.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:07 AM

I'm going to get a multimeter today, but I'm not sure what to look for. And acutally, I've never used a multimeter before (lol, just searched for multimeter tutorials online and watched a geek video on it)
Old 11-01-2007, 01:29 PM

Ended up being one fuse put in the wrong place. I'll scan what the shop gave me, but it's the one in the middle, furthest to the left. Not sure which slot I put it in, but it was the wrong one... aye $30 labor for a dumb mistake.