5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Differences

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2001, 04:50 PM

2002 Differences

Some of the new features I've noticed... I don't know if all of this applies to 2002. Some of these may have been available in 2001. Add to the list, if you know.

HID
6 speed
gated auto shifter
3.5 VQ
new wheels
new dual tip exhaust
clear rear lights
titanium gauges
titanium door handles
brushed metal shifter trim
Passenger auto window
heated steering wheel
front windows can be controlled with remote
RDS on stereo system
6 CD changer in dash
Speed sensitive volume/acoustics
electronic brake force distribution
lock on rear seats
one touch sunroof close/open
new seats
trip computer (MPG, DTE, avg speed, elapsed time, and temp)
-----------------------
added from other posts
-----------------------
emergency trunk release
slow dimming cabin lights
louder horn
new keyless remote
birds eye navigation
revised front cupholder lid
revised cloth in center storage compartment floor
no auto off on manual light mode, yes on auto mode
revised UV tint on windows
Old 10-21-2001, 05:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Damn man............. Stop trying to make me trade my joint in!
Old 10-21-2001, 05:33 PM

Re: 2002 Differences

Originally posted by Paul6speed
[B]
front windows can be controlled with remote
Damn I hate you

RDS on stereo system
What is RDS?

lock on rear seats
My 2k has that

one touch sunroof close/open
My 2k has that.

new seats
What's different about them?
Old 10-21-2001, 05:44 PM

Re: Re: 2002 Differences

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

What is RDS?

Radio Data System. It tells you the call letters of the radio station. It also allows you to scan by music preference. (helpful when you are out of your home area). It also tells you the artist and song title. t's not fully implemented, but it seems to be growing. I would say 2/3 of them are encoded in my market.

What's different about them?
The seats are shaped a little differently. They are a bit more firm. The head rests are new too. Different shape.
Old 10-21-2001, 05:45 PM
Administrator

nice new name
Old 10-21-2001, 05:47 PM

Not a chance! Your ride is tight. You already have the HID, which I REALLY love. I will never by another car without them. I had no idea how good they were.

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Damn man............. Stop trying to make me trade my joint in!
Old 10-21-2001, 05:51 PM

LMAO. I'm loving it. After 2 days of adjustment, I don't think I can go back to auto. Just driving to the store for milk is fun now. My daughter wanted to buy some gold fish... I jumped up and said, "let's go!"

Originally posted by SprintMax
nice new name
Old 10-21-2001, 05:51 PM

I don't know if the '01's have some of these -

-Auto window up on driver and passenger front windows.
-Variable capacity muffler
-Variable intake
-HLSD
-Redesigned grill
-Homelink
-the sunroof has one touch open/close to full, 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4
-Emergency inside trunk-release (darn, no more stuffing people in my trunk hehe)

If I was more familiar with the '01s the list would be more accurate but I'm not sure.
Old 10-21-2001, 06:05 PM

Yes to muffler, intake, and homelink. The other stuff is new. Emergency trunk release... didn't notice that yet. We forgot about CVTC, but I was counting that as the 3.5 VQ.

Originally posted by B1GMATT
I don't know if the '01's have some of these -

-Auto window up on driver and passenger front windows.
-Variable capacity muffler
-Variable intake
-HLSD
-Redesigned grill
-Homelink
-the sunroof has one touch open/close to full, 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4
-Emergency inside trunk-release (darn, no more stuffing people in my trunk hehe)

If I was more familiar with the '01s the list would be more accurate but I'm not sure.
Old 10-21-2001, 06:06 PM
Administrator

LMAO. I'm loving it. After 2 days of adjustment, I don't think I can go back to auto. Just driving to the store for milk is fun now. My daughter wanted to buy some gold fish... I jumped up and said, "let's go!"

he has seen the light
Old 10-21-2001, 06:21 PM

Amen brother!

Side question... what's the best way to come to a stop? (for clutch and transmission longevity). I've heard 2 schools of thought.

1st school: you push in the clutch as you get close to your stop, without downshifting.

2nd school: put it into neutral, coast and brake.

3rd school: downshift to each gear before coming to a stop.

I heard one method is bad for your throw out bearing. I can't remember which one.

he has seen the light
Old 10-21-2001, 06:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Amen brother!

Side question... what's the best way to come to a stop? (for clutch and transmission longevity). I've heard 2 schools of thought.

1st school: you push in the clutch as you get close to your stop, without downshifting.

I heard one method is bad for your throw out bearing. I can't remember which one.
I always use #3. I don't think it's bad since my current car is a Mazda 626 5 speed V6 and I NEVER had any problems with it (4 year lease almost up).

BTW, the brakes are still ALMOST new. WOW! Very different from my Pontiac Grand Am POS (autotragic) that I had to change the pads EVERY 3 months (true story).
Old 10-21-2001, 06:56 PM

Amen brother!

#1 is bad for your TOB.

Another feature on the 02{Auto only} is the seats go back to make exiting the car easier.
Old 10-21-2001, 07:03 PM
Administrator

usually i do number 2...

however if i need to stop and i need extra stopping power i will downshift and brake

Amen brother!

Old 10-21-2001, 07:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Emergency trunk release... didn't notice that yet.
The emergency trunk release handle is made of luminous plastic too, so whoever is locked in the trunk can see it . No, I don't have personal experience of this, but you can tell by looking at it.

One other feature that might be new, might not - the in-dash 6-disc changer has support for CD-Text. Of course, since almost nobody makes discs with CD-Text embedded, getting any use from this will rather rely on having a CD-R drive that supports it. Mine does in theory, but every attempt to produce CD-Text so far has resulted in a coaster.
Old 10-21-2001, 09:48 PM

Re: 2002 Differences

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the new "Bird's eye view" Nav system. Just one more to add to the list.
Old 10-21-2001, 10:40 PM

Amen brother!

I almost always use #2. I don't see why poeple would downshift coming to a stop....it may save your brakes but it wears on your clutch and wastes gas....brakes are MUCH cheaper than a clutch job. Another thing I've noticed about most people that have maunual transmission cars is that they DON'T rev match at ALL when they down shift. I let my buddy drive my car, and he has a 5-speed eclipse..and he downshifted from 5th to second at 50 mph...and jsut let off the clutch....lurching us forward in our seats..and then floored the gas....pushing us back in our seats....lets just say he's not driving my car until he gets a lecture on rev matching.
Old 10-21-2001, 11:30 PM

add to the list:

windows up/down by using the key in the lock
rear cupholders (in the 2001? )
also, there is damping in the sunglasses holder and in the cover for the front cupholder
interior lights dim when door is closed (in 2001?)
also, whenever you open the sunroof, it vents before sliding back, and it vents before completely shutting when closing.
Old 10-22-2001, 04:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: 2002 Differences

Originally posted by 2001SilverSeMax
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the new "Bird's eye view" Nav system. Just one more to add to the list.
Has anybody actually seen this yet though? It was on my shopping list when I went to buy but all the dealers that I spoke to indicated that I'd be highly unlikely to find one on a lot with it, and that the only way to get it would be to special order the car. Understandably, as a $2k "extra", dealers aren't too enthralled at having to take a hit on the GPS system if someone wants the car but doesn't want the GPS.
Old 10-22-2001, 06:37 AM

you can add this too:

When the headlamps are in the on position (not auto) they do not turn off when you turn off the ignition and open the door....like they do on the 2k

Nissan is so freakin weird the way they take away and add little features year by year!
Old 10-22-2001, 07:04 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

With an auto all you have to do is step on the brakes.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:52 AM

EXACTLY! Only use the gearbox for braking in tough situations where you need quick hard braking power, like the track.

LMAO about your friend with the lurching driving habits!! I know a few of those, too!

DW

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

I almost always use #2. I don't see why poeple would downshift coming to a stop....it may save your brakes but it wears on your clutch and wastes gas....brakes are MUCH cheaper than a clutch job. Another thing I've noticed about most people that have maunual transmission cars is that they DON'T rev match at ALL when they down shift. I let my buddy drive my car, and he has a 5-speed eclipse..and he downshifted from 5th to second at 50 mph...and jsut let off the clutch....lurching us forward in our seats..and then floored the gas....pushing us back in our seats....lets just say he's not driving my car until he gets a lecture on rev matching.
Old 10-22-2001, 08:37 AM
DTV

Re: Re: Re: 2002 Differences

Originally posted by awrc

Has anybody actually seen this yet though? It was on my shopping list when I went to buy but all the dealers that I spoke to indicated that I'd be highly unlikely to find one on a lot with it, and that the only way to get it would be to special order the car. Understandably, as a $2k "extra", dealers aren't too enthralled at having to take a hit on the GPS system if someone wants the car but doesn't want the GPS.
awrc: My 2k2 Maxima has it.. bought it off the lot. Cool to "show-off" and nice to have when you don't know where you're going... but everyday driving to your normal places.. it's useless
Old 10-22-2001, 08:38 AM

2k's and 2k1's have the variable capacity muffler right? They are refferring to the "space age material" cap in the muffler that opens up to allow easier and straighter flow...

We also have rear cup holders

Homlink is just the three buttons to open garage doors right, we have that too...
Old 10-22-2001, 08:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2002 Differences

Originally posted by DTV

awrc: My 2k2 Maxima has it.. bought it off the lot. Cool to "show-off" and nice to have when you don't know where you're going... but everyday driving to your normal places.. it's useless
Must have more adventurous dealers in your neighborhood

Question re this - from the pics I've seen, it looks as though it's got a touch-sensitive display, with all the controls for the air-conditioning, etc, on the display rather than as physical buttons. Is this correct?
Old 10-22-2001, 09:27 AM

usually i do number 2...

however if i need to stop and i need extra stopping power i will downshift and brake
Ummm... Just the brakes are good enough to lock the wheels (without ABS). That means your tires are the limit in braking. Downshifting will not allow the tires to exert more force on the road.

Stereodude
Old 10-22-2001, 09:49 AM
DTV

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2002 Differences

Must have more adventurous dealers in your neighborhood

Question re this - from the pics I've seen, it looks as though it's got a touch-sensitive display, with all the controls for the air-conditioning, etc, on the display rather than as physical buttons. Is this correct?
Yup... It's a touch-screen unit, with all your climate control integrated into the unit. I'm surprised there aren't many SE with navigation. I kind of bought the car on the spot off of the lot, SE with all of the packages (leather, c&c, nav). Didn't know these were so "rare" Too bad its auto
Old 10-22-2001, 10:11 AM

Paul

How does the shifter feel compared to before? Is it a bit shorter, and what have you noticed about the gearing?

Someone said the remote can get the windows to roll down and UP?

Do the stereo sound any different than previous year?

Does the car feel lighter/heavier?

At what speed/rpm do you feel the biggest difference in power between the 227hp and the 255hp Max?

Much difference in mpg?

Any other performance/handling differences?

BTW Paul, I used one of your car pics for my wallpaper. My car isn't here yet
Old 10-22-2001, 10:24 AM

Re: you can add this too:

Ya know... I was wondering about this. On my 2000 if you left the lights on in manual mode, they would shut off after you closed the door. Now there is the long delay, which is based up the battery saver. Auto mode still works. The lights switch off after you take your key out. Does anyone use Auto mode?? I usually turn on my lights before the auto mode does.

Originally posted by warrlocked
When the headlamps are in the on position (not auto) they do not turn off when you turn off the ignition and open the door....like they do on the 2k

Nissan is so freakin weird the way they take away and add little features year by year!
Old 10-22-2001, 10:36 AM

Re: Paul

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
[B]How does the shifter feel compared to before? Is it a bit shorter, and what have you noticed about the gearing?
Not sure... I had automatic before. It feels a little notchy, but I never have problems getting into gears. I drove a 2000 5 speed for a few minutes on Friday. The throws seem to be about the same. I thought the 6 speed throws were a tad shorter. The 2000 guy said he thought they were about the same. Gearing... Give me more time with this. They are more closely spaced. There's enough torque to handle 5th and 6th gear in low RPM situations.

Yes for down. I'm not sure about up. I'll check. Also, the windows can be controlled up and down from the key in the door.

Hard for me to answer. I had the premium system in my 2000. My new BOSE system is much nicer. I really love it. I listen to Jazz, Classical and Rock. It all sounds good

Does the car feel lighter/heavier?
Lighter, but I had the automatic before.

At what speed/rpm do you feel the biggest difference in power between the 227hp and the 255hp Max?
All! Test drive to find out. Both the auto and stick feel stronger.

Much difference in mpg?
To early to tell. I seem to be getting slighty better mileage, but that may be due to the manual tranny. I'll follow up on this.

Any other performance/handling differences?
Not sure yet. I had a GXE before. The 2002 handles the rough surfaces better. I still get the rear beam clunk on big speed bumps though.

BTW Paul, I used one of your car pics for my wallpaper. My car isn't here yet
No problem! Glad you liked my pics. I have higher resolution one's, if you want 'em.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: you can add this too:

Auto mode still works. The lights switch off after you take your key out.
Uh, not on my 2002 they don't. My parking's underground, and when I get home at night the lights come on when I enter the garage, and stay on after I remove the key, etc. Seems like the usual battery saver 30 seconds or so.

Does anyone use Auto mode?? I usually turn on my lights before the auto mode does.
I do! My hours are such that I drive to work in complete darkness and drive home in broad daylight, so I very rarely have to drive at dusk/dawn. That said, I've switched the lights to manual on a couple of very overcast stormy days when it was clearly dark enough to warrant lights, but Auto mode didn't think so Conversely, I've once had them come on in broad daylight on a sunny day when I was sitting at the lights at the bottom of my off-ramp, which is completely in the shade of another ramp. I think the lights flashing on then going off when the lights changed somewhat freaked out the driver in front of me

Before I got the 2002 I used to hate HID lights - such a pain to have in your rear view mirror. Of course, now I think they're wonderful, as people change lanes rather than have me behind them. It's not even as if I have a tendency to tailgate, the lane just magically empties.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:51 AM
DTV

Re: Re: Re: you can add this too:

Uh, not on my 2002 they don't. My parking's underground, and when I get home at night the lights come on when I enter the garage, and stay on after I remove the key, etc. Seems like the usual battery saver 30 seconds or so.

I do! My hours are such that I drive to work in complete darkness and drive home in broad daylight, so I very rarely have to drive at dusk/dawn. That said, I've switched the lights to manual on a couple of very overcast stormy days when it was clearly dark enough to warrant lights, but Auto mode didn't think so Conversely, I've once had them come on in broad daylight on a sunny day when I was sitting at the lights at the bottom of my off-ramp, which is completely in the shade of another ramp. I think the lights flashing on then going off when the lights changed somewhat freaked out the driver in front of me

Before I got the 2002 I used to hate HID lights - such a pain to have in your rear view mirror. Of course, now I think they're wonderful, as people change lanes rather than have me behind them. It's not even as if I have a tendency to tailgate, the lane just magically empties.
I occasionally use my auto lights.. I wonder if there is a way to change the sensitivity some how. I drive in horrible Seattle Traffic When caught in traffic and drive under overpasses at slow speeds in broad daylight, my auto lights will flick on.. then couple seconds after I get out of the shade, they will flick back off.

Kind of annoying to me so I usually just use manual.. my Ford Explorer auto lights were a lot better than the maximas. They were less sensitive and wouldn't switch on/off like my maxima's.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: you can add this too:

You're probably right. I'll recheck this on my car.

Old 10-22-2001, 11:51 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Here's a difference: 2k2's are faster (NA vs. NA).
Old 10-22-2001, 11:59 AM

2k2s have a new sunglass holder. Instead of the cheap push-tab, then pull down, you simply push it and it swings down. Much nicer. I ordered one for my dad's 2k I30. The part is called a roof console. List price is $10.90. My cost is $8.18. I should be getting it tomorrow. However, there is an issue as to whether you have a sunroof or not. The sunroof models integrate it with the map lights. It's a standalone unit on the non-sunroof models. My dad's 2k I30 is an extremely rare car - no sunroof.
Old 10-22-2001, 02:19 PM

Do you have any data to back that up?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Here's a difference: 2k2's are faster (NA vs. NA).
Old 10-22-2001, 10:27 PM

Re: Paul

Originally posted by bigbadboss101

not up.

sounds the same as the Bose in the 2000 I30. The subwoofer, unfortunately isn't so great. The rear deck rattles too much (can be fixed), but for f&cked up reason, the bass doesn't rattle as much and resonates (sounds MUCH better) when I open up windows/doors... WEIRD...
Old 10-22-2001, 10:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: you can add this too:

Originally posted by DTV

I occasionally use my auto lights.. I wonder if there is a way to change the sensitivity some how. I drive in horrible Seattle Traffic When caught in traffic and drive under overpasses at slow speeds in broad daylight, my auto lights will flick on.. then couple seconds after I get out of the shade, they will flick back off.

Kind of annoying to me so I usually just use manual.. my Ford Explorer auto lights were a lot better than the maximas. They were less sensitive and wouldn't switch on/off like my maxima's.
according to what others on this site say and what my friends tell me, flicking the HIDs on/off is really bad for the bulbs...
I've started to leave the swtich on "Off" instead of "auto", b/c when I leave in the morning for school, the lights turn on in the garage, but then turn off, etc.