5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

O2 sensors rip-off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:16 AM

O2 sensors rip-off?

The other day the 'service engine soon' light came on in my scrupulously maintained 2002 Maxima (with only 48,800 miles), so I dutifully took it in yesterday to the Nissan dealer, whose service department informed me that both of the exhaust system oxygen sensors were bad and had to be replaced, and then the engine control computer reset. They did that, all works fine now, but the bill for this (seemingly simple?) repair was a lofty $650...with tax, and a new airfilter and oil/filter change, it ran to $725. I assume I was ripped off, albeit legally so...what *should* the repair have cost, approximately, and in the future can I entrust this kind of service to shops other than the dealer?

-Greg Iverson
Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 AM

NEVER let the Stealership work on your car without seeing a written estimate of parts and labor to make sure they are doing what they say they are doing.
Primary O2 sensors... $156 each (x 2 in your case)
Labor $75/ hr (x 4 cause they work slow on purpose)
Dealer oil and filter change plus air filter $60...
Yep you got robbed...
DIY...
O2 sensors $112.00 (x 2)
Oil change and air filter ($30)
Labor FREE... 1 sat. afternoon or less...
Old 10-24-2007, 11:27 AM

labor should not take them 4hrs
Old 10-24-2007, 11:45 AM

When I first got my '01 3 years ago I got the check engine light the day after I left the car dealer (Little rinky dink place, not a big chain). I took it to a local auto shop and they told me it was the oxygen sensors and they didn't know which one it was, and had to replace all 4 to figure it out. They quoted me over 800$, I told them to give me my keys back. The Manager then said she would replace all 4, and check each time until the light went off, and then return the others that weren't bad, so then she said around 350$. I took her estimate to the dealership I bought the car from, and they split the bill with me since I had just purchased it.

2 Years later, SES light again, took it to another shop, and was told the same thing that there is no way to figure out which sensor it is and 800$ please. This time I just left and started looking it up online, and found that the sensors weren't that big of a deal, so I didn't do anything about it then.

Now that I am part of this community, next time I get it, I will just replace them myself with OEM from Dave B. Especially after taking the car to AutoZone and having the codes read, where it SPECIFICALLY tells you which sensor is bad.

I know I was preyed on because I didn't know much about my car, which I am slowly learning about and starting to do my own work where I can. Also it might be good to find a mechanic who you trust, and wont try to screw you.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:50 AM

There is a TSB for an oxygen sensor code that calls for the replacement of BOTH sensors, regardless of whether or not the code is just for one sensor. Just a guess, but I would say that your stealership probably completed the repair to this TSB despite the fact that there was "probably" only a code for one sensor. In other words, I am pretty sure that you could have gotten away with replacing one sensor and reprogramming to be safe. This is what I did when I got the P0139 & P1147 codes about 3 years ago and I haven't had a problem since. I changed the sensor myself and the clips were a PITA but it still only took me about an hour.

O2 sensor = $120
Reprogram = $75
Labour = 1 hour
Old 10-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Cletus

you werent "ripped off". you went to the dealership of your own free will and asked them to preform a service. they provided that service at a very good price for a dealership.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by HotMaxx02
NEVER let the Stealership work on your car without seeing a written estimate of parts and labor to make sure they are doing what they say they are doing.
Primary O2 sensors... $156 each (x 2 in your case)
Labor $75/ hr (x 4 cause they work slow on purpose)
Dealer oil and filter change plus air filter $60...
Yep you got robbed...
DIY...
O2 sensors $112.00 (x 2)
Oil change and air filter ($30)
Labor FREE... 1 sat. afternoon or less...
did he get "robbed" if he asked them to perform the service...then paid for it

could it have been done cheaper? yup. but nobody robbed him.

i hate when people blame the dealership for "robbing them" or "ripping them off". these people pay the money...the dealership just takes it. dont blame the business.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:20 PM

I'm not up to date completely with the max but shouldn't this have fallen into warranty, the 8yr/80,000 mile, emission warranty. Or is that only on the 00-01
Old 10-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by jester7377
I'm not up to date completely with the max but shouldn't this have fallen into warranty, the 8yr/80,000 mile, emission warranty. Or is that only on the 00-01
O2 sensors are considered WEAR ITEMS and are not covered by warranty
Old 10-24-2007, 02:42 PM

8 yr/80,000 miles emissions warranty?

Oh, tell me more! Is there a stealth warranty out there for emissions equipment (2002 Maxima), extending out to 8 years/80,000 miles?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:54 PM

i had a 02 replaced under the 8yr/80k warrenty and i had 76xxx miles on my car. It was n/c which included the new B1S1 O2 sensor along with a reprogram. I mean i guess it all comes down to to dealership. Some might do it to better service their customers but others can be total jerks about it. I guess it all depends. I had a overall good service from my dealer. I continue to go back for routine maintenance just to build a relationship but i think their prices are fair compared to the stand alone shops on certain things. I will probably have them flush all my fluids because i would like to think that they use Nissan Spec fluids. If they don't and something messes up, there going to be liable.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by gurekku
Oh, tell me more! Is there a stealth warranty out there for emissions equipment (2002 Maxima), extending out to 8 years/80,000 miles?
the warranty covers emissions equipment not considered wear items
Old 10-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The emissions warranty covers major components like the ECU and Cat converter.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
labor should not take them 4hrs
when they go by the book it does, hell whynot fix the problem in an hour and get paid for 3 more hours, thats how the dealership works
Old 10-24-2007, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
the warranty covers emissions equipment not considered wear items
Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't completely certain on it
Old 10-25-2007, 08:02 AM

http://epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt

tells you about what is covered and what is not under 8/80 coverage.

- Vikas
Old 10-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

O2 sensors are considered WEAR ITEMS and are not covered by warranty
I've had 2 replaced under warranty.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:44 AM

lol $75 for air filter/oil change?
labor + oil + airfilter = $50 at MOST

reprogramming ECU is 1hr labor for sure, replacing o2 sensors should be half hour labor (i think)

so your total bill should've been $50 for air/oil + $127.50 for 1.5 hr labor + $180 o2 sensor with markup? = grand total of $357.50
so $400 at MOST

go back to the dealer and complain to service manager labor times
they have a book to go by with maximum hour to charge

Last edited by getbigtony; 10-25-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by getbigtony
lol $75 for air filter/oil change?
labor + oil + airfilter = $50 at MOST

reprogramming ECU is 1hr labor for sure, replacing o2 sensors should be half hour labor (i think)

so your total bill should've been $50 for air/oil + $127.50 for 1.5 hr labor + $180 o2 sensor with markup? = grand total of $357.50
so $400 at MOST

go back to the dealer and complain to service manager labor times
they have a book to go by with maximum hour to charge
he already paid...he cant complain now.

like i said...HE ASKED FOR THE DEALERSHIP TO DO THE SERVICE. they also advice you of the cost before they start the work. he agreed to that too.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:32 PM
maxima0001

As someone else stated, you could've done it yourself for less than $200 in parts/fluids.

Last year, I had a mechanic up the street run my codes, put in an o2 sensor that I bought from Autozone for $80, and put it on for $20 bucks. It took them less than 20 minutes to put the o2 sensor on.

So yeah, you did get ripped off, IMO.

Your best bet is to find a reasonable, local mechanic, that you trust, and have them do the work.........NEVER go to the stealership, unless its for warranty services only.

Last edited by maxima0001; 10-25-2007 at 12:35 PM.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Cletus

getting ripped off is paying more for a service that it should cost...meaning the dealership charged him more that they should have "the dealership ripped me off".
if you choose to go to the dealership, you are making the decision to pay more than it would cost to do it yourself. "i was stupid and wasted money by having the dealership do the work."

if you go to dealership and want to use "ripped off", you cant say "the dealership ripped me off." you can only say, "i allowed myself to be "ripped off."
Old 10-25-2007, 12:41 PM
maxima0001

Thanks for the clarification, genius.

The point is you dont take it to the stealership unless its for warranty services only.......there are plenty of other methods to go about saving $, and going to the dealer is not one of them.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by maxima0001
Thanks for the clarification, genius.

The point is you dont take it to the stealership unless its for warranty services only.......there are plenty of other methods to go about saving $, and going to the dealer is not one of them.
my point...dont complain about a dealership ripping you off...if you take it there and agree to pay it.

thats the point of this thread. the guy started it to ask if the dealership had ripped him off.

i agree...only go to the dealership for warranty work
Old 10-25-2007, 12:45 PM
maxima0001

my point...dont complain about a dealership ripping you off...if you take it there and agree to pay it.

thats the point of this thread. the guy started it to ask if the dealership had ripped him off.

i agree...only go to the dealership for warranty work

Glad you agree.

Maybe next time you can beyond your typical reply, and inform him of this.....

Is that too much to ask?

Old 10-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Cletus

Glad you agree.

Maybe next time you can beyond your typical reply, and inform him of this.....

Is that too much to ask?
my first reply in this thread

you werent "ripped off". you went to the dealership of your own free will and asked them to preform a service. they provided that service at a very good price for a dealership.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:53 PM
maxima0001

my first reply in this thread
What are you talkin about?

You didnt inform him that there are other resources available, and that there are other ways he could've saved money.

Nor did you inform to only go to the STEALERSHIP for warranty coverage ONLY......as you just recently agreed to.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Cletus

What are you talkin about?

You didnt inform him that there are other resources available, and that there are other ways he could've saved money.

Nor did you inform to only go to the STEALERSHIP for warranty coverage ONLY......as you just recently agreed to.

should i have to explain to another adult that there are other resources available

he started the thread to ask if the dealership ripped him off and i replied to that question.

did i have to explain the whole dealership rule? he already went and paid the money. he didnt ask if he SHOULD go...he already went.

i have been saying "only go to the dealership for warranty work" since before you owned a maxima. dont act like i finally agreed with you.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:01 PM
maxima0001

should i have to explain to another adult that there are other resources available

he started the thread to ask if the dealership ripped him off and i replied to that question.

did i have to explain the whole dealership rule? he already went and paid the money. he didnt ask if he SHOULD go...he already went.

i have been saying "only go to the dealership for warranty work" since before you owned a maxima. dont act like i finally agreed with you.

Just as I stated, you're not very good at explaining options beyond what is right in front of you.

And I guess you expect people to actually listen to what you say when you force bs down there throat, on an everyday basis? Dear lord, get a clue man.........

Btw, how do you know when I owned a maxima?

More assumptions from the boy genius?

Of course

Old 10-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Cletus

Just as I stated, you're not very good at explaining options beyond what is right in front of you.

And I guess you expect people to actually listen to what you say when you force bs down there throat, on an everyday basis? Dear lord, get a clue man.........

Btw, how do you know when I owned a maxima?

More assumptions from the boy genius?

Of course
people listen to me. if you get past your feelings being hurt, you may actually learn something.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:13 PM
maxima0001

people listen to me. if you get past your feelings being hurt, you may actually learn something.

More assumptions validated through a petty argument........Are you really this dumb?

Of course you are

Old 10-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Cletus

More assumptions validated through a petty argument........Are you really this dumb?

Of course you are
its not an assumption that people listen to me...its facts.

again...if you stick around, you will see it
Old 10-25-2007, 01:19 PM
maxima0001

its not an assumption that people listen to me...its facts.

again...if you stick around, you will see it
You said that I got my feelings hurt & assumed that my knowledge is limited, tard........which is what I was replying to.....I never questioned your knowledge.

Are you really this dumb man?

You cant be, can you?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:23 PM

You said that I got my feelings hurt & assumed that my knowledge is limited, tard........which is what I was replying to.....I never questioned your knowledge.

Are you really this dumb man?

You cant be, can you?
I think any time someone comes on here and asks if the "stealership" ripped them off, he should know what the answer will be. That way, this person thinks he has ammo with forum printouts in-hand running back to the dealership saying so.

Reality is, dealerships are more expensive. What no one disputes though is the fact that they know the vehicles, and under warranty there are few smart options.

Why did I quote you then? If you think that Sooner is wrong by telling someone he got violated of his own free will AFTER committing said self-violation and you DISAGREE, I would be more introspective with the tard comments.:stfu:
Old 11-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by pikers
I think any time someone comes on here and asks if the "stealership" ripped them off, he should know what the answer will be. That way, this person thinks he has ammo with forum printouts in-hand running back to the dealership saying so.

Reality is, dealerships are more expensive. What no one disputes though is the fact that they know the vehicles, and under warranty there are few smart options.

Why did I quote you then? If you think that Sooner is wrong by telling someone he got violated of his own free will AFTER committing said self-violation and you DISAGREE, I would be more introspective with the tard comments.:stfu:
he got banned for all of his comments...its ok