5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

No A/C blower at all

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 03:30 PM

No A/C blower at all

It was cold this morning, so I started the car and turned the A/C on ECON. The blower motor blew two seconds then died. All speeds were no reaction.

I checked the fuse and turned out it was fine. But I still have some questions.

1. If the fuse does blow out, will the A/C controler still work?
2. If the blower resistor blow out, will all speeds no reaction?

It's time to pay $$$ again...damn to have no A/C these days...

Sorry about my english, still learning...

BTW: Where is the blower motor fuse?

Last edited by jasonmax; 11-05-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:13 PM

no one knows?
Old 11-06-2007, 05:04 AM

If I am not mistaken the blower and the resistor (manual controls) or amplifier (automatic) are attached to the blower itself, which is under the glove box. I would figure you have the automatic.

I had the same issue as you, no blower motor at all. It turned out to be the blower itself that died, not the amp.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:06 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by jasonmax
It was cold this morning, so I started the car and turned the A/C on ECON. The blower motor blew two seconds then died. All speeds were no reaction.

I checked the fuse and turned out it was fine. But I still have some questions.

1. If the fuse does blow out, will the A/C controler still work?
2. If the blower resistor blow out, will all speeds no reaction?

It's time to pay $$$ again...damn to have no A/C these days...

Sorry about my english, still learning...

BTW: Where is the blower motor fuse?
I'm assuming the A/C compressor does work, just not getting air coming from the vents. First thing to do is to check the fuses. If all the fuses turn out okay, then you're answer lies in one of two places:

1.) The blower motor is dead.
2.) The fan "resistor" is dead.

To answer your question on the resistors:
If a resistor dies, then generally the fan works only on it's top speed (zero resistance). However, seeing as how you have a GLE, I would assume you have automatic climate control. Those of us that have automatic climate control do not have a traditional resistor, but rather a fan amplifier of sorts. When this part dies, you get no air at all at any speed (I know from experience).

Either way, you'll have to pull your glove compartment out. It's a few screws.

The blower motor is exposed from here. You can remove it and hook it up to a power source to test if it works or not. If it does work, you'll need an amplifer. If it doesn't work, you need a motor.

IF the blower motor does work, you have some options. Your fan amplifier is dead and needs to be replaced. The dealer sells them for about $90. You can follow the negative on the blower motor to the harness that runs into it. It looks like this:

Or at least my old one did. You can see the corrosion. A brand new one looks like this:

If you have the time and money, just get a new one and replace it. However, if you need some time to make the dough or just can't get around to it for a while, and you're in desperate need of your fan, there is a way you can get the fan to work without the amplier, however, it will only work on one speed, and will be operating any time the car has power.

You can wire a bypass the amplifer to a local ground, which will power the motor any time the car has power. Pictures below.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:07 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 AM

Good stuff Rydicule, while I don't have the problem my friend does and the pictures help out alot.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:08 AM

thanks, Rydicule. nice job, btw...I think I will go to the junk yard or maybe dealer (stealer) today. Wish me luck~
Old 11-06-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

Expect to pay $80 for the Power Module (resistor) for the auto climate control. Contrary to popular belief, you should'nt need to take the glove box out to take out the power module. What I was able to do was undo the 2 screws on the PM, then resolder the huge solder joints. This was a very temporary fix, as it was acting up (either working on any speed or not working) within a week or so. Ended up buying a new one from my dealer.