5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Doh - $20 job almost turned into a $568 job!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 06:23 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Doh - $20 job almost turned into a $568 job!

An .Org member shipped me a really nice 16" 00/01 SE wheel to replace a really badly warped wheel that the previous owner just so happened to not mention. He told me that the tire made a wobbly noise (it did) and we negotiated further off the price for a replacement set of tires for the front. Good? Well....

I took the car to a tire shop to replace the front tires, and that's when they told me about the warped wheel. The cheapest I could find locally was about $160 and that wheel had terrible curb rash. I told them I'd deal with the warped wheel and the new set of tires until I could find a replacement wheel (there goes my post to the Org classifieds about purchasing a replacement wheel).

In the meantime, I've put 1500 miles on the car and noticed that the wobble returned, subtle, but there. Frank got the wheel to me in perfect condition so I take it to a local tire shop to have the wheels swapped ($20). The service manager comes to the waiting room about 20 minutes later and asks me to follow him.

"You've got a problem."

I figured...

"You're not going to like it either."

I figured...

"You've got more than a warped wheel on your passenger side front."

Huh? What else is wrong?

He nods to the tire tech who grasps the tire/wheel and starts moving it back and forth, up and down, left to right... you name it... The hub bearing is definitely gone. "I can't believe it hasn't gave away yet."

Me neither, that looks terrible.

"You can see that there is a ton of play. I'd wager with the amount of play, you're looking at more than just the hub bearing. I'd say your hub itself is trashed."

What's the damage...?

The service manager walks off, so I ask the tire tech to see if the hub is bad. After dismounting the tire and checking the play at the spindle... turning a wrench or two... "Your hub has taken serious abuse and needs to be replaced."

"Yeah, when it rains it pours."

The service manager comes out 10 minutes later with a quote. "$568."

Jeebus... that's high.

"The parts come from Nissan. We tack on the labor. Fairly simple deal."

Really...

"Really."

I shake my head in disgust and decline having the car worked on. Noting that my hub and hub bearing needed replacement, and due to the pressed-in design this novice DIYer would not have a shot at it... I decided to hop on the Org to find Dave B's phone number.

Dave B quotes a price of $199 and change including shipping for the parts. Sounds good... where's the $369... labor??

I call around a reputable, local tire shop. Their quote - out the door and with Nissan parts - $320 and change. If I were to get Dave B's parts and wait for them to arrive via ground, the tire shop's price (including Dave B's parts) would be $295. The extra $25 includes 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. So, tomorrow, I'll go have the car ship-shape again and without the fear of crashing the car into something when the hub assembly completely fails.

In any respect... $568 (first quote from a major tire shop chain ) - $320 (local tire shop quote ) is $248 in savings. Wow, the major tire shop chain must give me a day spa pass or something....

I can't wait to get the car fix and the vibrations/clunks, etc. rid of. Well worth $320 in my book.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:13 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

save some more money... DIY!

Potentially a ***** of a job, especially if you drive your car through winters, but it's doable. $320 doesn't sound like a bad deal for a bearing and hub and install though?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:26 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by MacGarnicle
save some more money... DIY!

Potentially a ***** of a job, especially if you drive your car through winters, but it's doable. $320 doesn't sound like a bad deal for a bearing and hub and install though?
I wouldn't do it myself....and I've replaced my front bearings several times. It's a major PITA and without a BIG-TIME press, you won't get teh bearing out. Plus, as he stated if the bearing is that bad, it has ruined the inner race of the spindle as well.

What do i do? Go to a junkyard and get a full hub/spindle assembly for $50. Spend an hour installing it myself (easy). get analignment.

if the jy one goes bad in 50k miles...who cares. go to the JY again.....

My current JY spindles/hubs are going onabout 40k miles now with no problems.

that...is the budget way to do it

All that said, $320 is a good price, as it is a pretty time-intensive procedure. Make SURE that an alignment is included in the price. you NEED to get one after bearing replacement, since teh spindle has been taken off the car.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:15 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by MacGarnicle
According to a Nissan guy I know, $320 is extremely reasonable as an out-the-door price. The local tire shop is hell-bent on customer satisfaction and among the lowest prices in the Huntsville area.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:19 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by irish44j
What do i do? Go to a junkyard and get a full hub/spindle assembly for $50. Spend an hour installing it myself (easy). get analignment.
I'm getting quotes of about $100-125 for the full assembly (hub, bearing, spindle). You must be in an area where wrecked 5th gens are a common thing! In any respect... I'll see how this goes. But from what Org'ers have said, these things are common to go bad (why why why??? my 3rd gens lasted for 270K miles before starting to have noticeable play), I'll probably check to see if I can't order one from abroad and ship it in. In this case, the wear is so bad, I don't want to risk not having the Max in a drivable state.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:53 AM

At least the first shop FOUND the problem, and didn't hose you on THAT.

I don't trust ANYONE anymore....especially the dealerships.
Nice call on the second opinion.

gr
Old 11-10-2007, 06:50 AM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
At least the first shop FOUND the problem, and didn't hose you on THAT.
My feeling is that Tire Shop #1 (where I bought the front tires after I purchased the car) replaced the tires, did not check for play. In 1500 miles, what was a worn out bearing turned into a destroyed bearing - Tire Shop #2 caught that much and tried to capitalize. I don't race the car (it's a DD) - can that much wear really happen from fine to destroyed on smooth pavement? Tire Shop #3 is the one that had a more down to earth price
Old 11-10-2007, 05:59 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

$320.68 bought me:

1) Nissan OEM Hub
2) Nissan OEM Hub Bearing
3) Labor to remove old hub/bearing and install new one.
4) Front end alignment.

Not freaking bad. You don't know how bad something is until you've had it fixed and can feel the difference.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:15 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by aksansai
I'm getting quotes of about $100-125 for the full assembly (hub, bearing, spindle). You must be in an area where wrecked 5th gens are a common thing!
I go to yards where I pull the parts myself, so they don't charge as much usually..

5th gens are not common.

They yard I went to the other day had 2 5th gens, totally stripped.

by contrast, it had about 40 Jeep Cherokees (I was going there to get parts for my XJ, not the maxima)....
Old 11-10-2007, 08:38 PM

^^ Which one did you go too?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:08 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

I go to yards where I pull the parts myself, so they don't charge as much usually..
That's a fairly big deal around here, considering most places won't even let you into the yard for the fear of getting their **** sued. That could explain a little on the price difference.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:54 PM

the hub at nissan is around 130 dollars... brand new, mine for. Installed i get it done for about 220 and some change.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:49 AM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by A33 VQ30DEK
the hub at nissan is around 130 dollars... brand new, mine for. Installed i get it done for about 220 and some change.
Hub and bearing. The bearing seems to be the most expensive part of the whole bit.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I wouldn't do it myself....and I've replaced my front bearings several times. It's a major PITA and without a BIG-TIME press, you won't get teh bearing out. Plus, as he stated if the bearing is that bad, it has ruined the inner race of the spindle as well.

if the jy one goes bad in 50k miles...who cares. go to the JY again.....

My current JY spindles/hubs are going onabout 40k miles now with no problems.

that...is the budget way to do it

All that said, $320 is a good price, as it is a pretty time-intensive procedure. Make SURE that an alignment is included in the price. you NEED to get one after bearing replacement, since teh spindle has been taken off the car.
I saw you post that in a previous thread, and I took that advice for a customers car. Unfortunatly the JY one DID go bad in 50 miles on one side, and I had a pretty pissed off .org member on my hands, so I ended up eating the cost of new bearings, and the cost to have the bearings and hub pressed in/out. I went through the trouble of driving out the hub, the seals, and the c-clips, at most places it will save you a little bit of money, but don't drive the hub out yourself if you are not very good diy.

Just wanted to share that experience. I agree with your method, in fact if I needed WB's on my own car that is probably what I would do, I still laugh when I see people paying $150 for axles, I get oem nissan ones w/1-year warranty for under $50
Old 11-11-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by aksansai
Hub and bearing. The bearing seems to be the most expensive part of the whole bit.

bearing is only $45, the hub is the most expensive part
Old 11-11-2007, 09:29 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

I understand. But when I get a quote from Dave B for $199 shipped... I could hardly see a shop doing it for $20...
Old 11-12-2007, 12:50 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

If you go to a large hardware store, you can usually 'rent' a bearing removal tool. It's a manual 'press' which slowly pulls the bearing out. That's what I used anyway, worked fine.

I hear you though, it can potentially be a frustrating job. Honestly, I found the hardest part of the job was removing the o-rings keeping the bearing in place.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by 02MAXZIMA
^^ Which one did you go too?
If he tells you, he won't have any parts left for himself.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:01 PM
sed

Bearings ARE NOT something for a novice DIYer! That was $320 well spent.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:01 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Considering the new ride quality, I can't help but agree with you.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:00 PM

car mechanics have it made when it comes to gullible people... meinekenieneeekkeee (w/e)
wanted to charge me ****in 870 dollars on a break job.. (4 new rotors, 4 sets of breaks, replace 1 caliper.....) i went to this greek guy that goes to my mothers diner... he tells me... 350... he gave me sum hawk pads along with some slotted brem's for my honda accord....

"we care about our customers... so we drain them for all their money... "

Good job by not saying yes to them man... who doesnt like saving money... ezzzspecially when it's the amount u saved..... Round of applause for you!!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:12 AM

mechanics suck!!