5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Which outlet type for flowmaster muffler

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:33 PM
--+--

Which outlet type for flowmaster muffler

I want to weld a 50 series delta flow muffler to my stock b-pipe and I was originally going to buy this one http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=3408 and get two SS tips for it. But now that I've been looking at it longer, I'm starting to wonder if the outlet pipes will be too far apart to look right with 3" or 3.5" tips on them. I could go with this one http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=3407 and put a single in, dual out tip on it, but I prefer two seperate tips like stock. I want it to look clean I guess is what I'm saying. Should I just buy the single outlet and get the dual tip for it or go with the dual outlet and put tips on it?
Old 11-21-2007, 06:04 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

It appears the tip spacing on the dual tip Flowmaster would be too wide for the exhaust tip cutout so the single outlet/dual tip would probably work better.

Seriously, Flowmasters for the Maxima? Is that the general consensus of what works/sounds the best? I had one (with a Borla tip) on a Celica I used to have and it sounded pretty good, never heard one on a V6 before and most of the links in the FAQ are busted so I can't hear the .wav files.

BTW, is it worth just doing the muffler? Does the stock exhaust otherwise flow well enough that you can get real gains by just replacing the factory muffler? If so, that would be a real $$$ saver vs replacing the system from the cat back.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:17 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Seriously, Flowmasters for the Maxima? Is that the general consensus of what works/sounds the best? I had one (with a Borla tip) on a Celica I used to have and it sounded pretty good, never heard one on a V6 before and most of the links in the FAQ are busted so I can't hear the .wav files.
it is far from the general consensus. IMO, flowmaster doesnt belong on a maxima.

BTW, is it worth just doing the muffler? Does the stock exhaust otherwise flow well enough that you can get real gains by just replacing the factory muffler? If so, that would be a real $$$ saver vs replacing the system from the cat back.
you get no gains from replacing just the muffler on a maxima. its done purely for sound. the b-pipe (cat - muffler) is the restrictive part and what myself and a lot of other have replaced.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:55 AM
--+--

I'm doin it for sound purposes only. I can't see spending 500-600 on a cattman catback just for sound. I guess I'd be open to other suggestions on what OTHER muffler to buy, but I had kina already decided on the flowmaster 50 since its quieter than the 40 series where the "flowmaster sound" originated.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:22 AM

just get a offset inlet and single center outlet muffler and weld the stock tip onto it.. it could and has been done.. by me its in the exhaust compilation thread, somewhere around the last two pages
Old 11-21-2007, 07:23 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=305499&page=8

post #290
Old 11-21-2007, 07:26 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by s1mply_v
you mean this post
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=290

i see you have the rare SE-R maxima with projectors
Old 11-21-2007, 07:31 AM
dot dot dot ...

Stick w/stock. . . . .
Old 11-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Stick w/stock. . . . .
i tried to tell them.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by soonerfan
i tried to tell them.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:16 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

it is far from the general consensus. IMO, flowmaster doesnt belong on a maxima.
Sound quality more suited to a V8 then, eh?

you get no gains from replacing just the muffler on a maxima. its done purely for sound. the b-pipe (cat - muffler) is the restrictive part and what myself and a lot of other have replaced.
That is the answer I was expecting but not hoping for.

There is a muffler shop in my area that does excellent exhaust systems, did a great cat back for the Accord I used to have. 5 years on the car and it was still rock solid.

If I decide to have him build me an exhaust for my Maxima, I will probably go with a Walker Quiet Flow muffler. Supposed to flow 35% better than stock but still pretty quiet. When I had my Accord system done, they were also doing an install on an Impala SS using the Quiet Flows. Barely louder than stock. If the true restriction is in the B-pipe, then using the QF instead of a straight through design shouldn't be a problem right?

I found a youtube vid of a car with WQF mufflers on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAKI26ypOHE

Yes? No? Maybe?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:18 AM
dot dot dot ...

If you want power, get headers, nothing more. If you want tone, get a b-pipe, if you want sound, get a muffler, if you want rasp, get a test pipe, if you want noise, get all of the above.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Cletus

If you want power, get headers, nothing more. If you want tone, get a b-pipe, if you want sound, get a muffler, if you want rasp, get a test pipe, if you want noise, get all of the above.
perfectly put!!!

b-pipe for tone - check
headers for power - check (ordered)
Old 11-21-2007, 09:50 AM

here are two vid's of my Flowmaster 40 Series(2.5" inlet and 2.5" single outlet) with the magnaflow dual tips, with a slight angle, on my 2k1 AE. I think it sounds pretty good for a V6...

Last edited by jadedmatt; 11-21-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Drug Money

I'm having a 3" inlet dual tip Vibrant Performance muffler welded on to my turbo "downpipe"

Looks like the Cattmang ftw!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:04 AM
--+--

just get a offset inlet and single center outlet muffler and weld the stock tip onto it.. it could and has been done.. by me its in the exhaust compilation thread, somewhere around the last two pages
I can't weld the stock tip on like you did because I dont have such a tip. I have the stock 2k2 tips. Looks like NmexMAX. And yes I have researched all your stuff and everyone else that has put flowmaster muffler on their maxima. Sorry for being so straight forward, its just how I am!

I can't afford headers until I pay my car off which is another $5k.

Most people I've seen so far say that the b-pipe alone (i.e. soonerfans with intake spacers sounds deeper because of the spacers) will not noticeably change exhaust sound/tone much at all. Plus its $275.

I want a deeper tone with a little sound. My intake will drown any exhaust sound a WOT so I don't care about that. I like the way FC sounds but they're unavailable.

Originally Posted by 01Max20thAnni
here are two vid's of my Flowmaster 40 Series(2.5" inlet and 2.5" single outlet) with the magnaflow dual tips, with a slight angle, on my 2k1 AE. I think it sounds pretty good for a V6...
Is the tip this one? http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=690
Also your exhaust is a little louder than what I'm looking for. Thats why I opted for the 50 delta series.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 02Maximan
Is the tip this one? http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=690
Also your exhaust is a little louder than what I'm looking for. Thats why I opted for the 50 delta series.
that would be it!
Old 11-21-2007, 04:15 PM

I like how the flowmasters sound on the 3.0 and 3.5, have you also considered a Magnaflow muffler? The one I have has the exact tips it seems you are looking for already welded on stock for ~ $150 through summitracing.com.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:50 PM
--+--

Originally Posted by MintVQ35
I like how the flowmasters sound on the 3.0 and 3.5, have you also considered a Magnaflow muffler? The one I have has the exact tips it seems you are looking for already welded on stock for ~ $150 through summitracing.com.
Sounds nice although its a bit loud for my tastes. maybe a magnaflow resonator or a thrush glasspack upstream would quiet it down a bit. Like someone said somewhere else, I don't want my exhaust loud enough for some one to hear when they are inside a house and I'm outside.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:02 AM

you mean this post
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=290

i see you have the rare SE-R maxima with projectors
yea i meant that post, oops.. im not good at posting links. Yes thats my car

I can't weld the stock tip on like you did because I dont have such a tip. I have the stock 2k2 tips. Looks like NmexMAX. And yes I have researched all your stuff and everyone else that has put flowmaster muffler on their maxima. Sorry for being so straight forward, its just how I am!
lol but no need for sorries man im just trying to help. That stinks you have no tip.. hmm.. try to get a tip somewhere.. i think someone is selling a stock exhaust on the for sale section and maybe it comes with the tip.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:07 AM

Sounds nice although its a bit loud for my tastes. maybe a magnaflow resonator or a thrush glasspack upstream would quiet it down a bit. Like someone said somewhere else, I don't want my exhaust loud enough for some one to hear when they are inside a house and I'm outside.
I hear ya some people just don't like anything too drastic for sound, I've always liked to hear my vehicles a good bit so I don't mind if it's louder. I think a glasspack or magnaflow resonator coupled with the magnaflow muffler I have would probably be substancially quieter.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Banned

I hated my 40 series on my 4th gen.
I went with a ss magnaflow and loved it. mean and throaty.
Also i'd get a whole new pipe bent from your cat to this muffler, it should be 100-150 at a shop.

Last edited by Torgus; 11-22-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:45 PM
--+--

Originally Posted by Torgus
I hated my 40 series on my 4th gen.
Also i'd get a whole new pipe bent from your cat to this muffler should be like 100-150 more at a shop.
I don't think I'd like a forty myself either, but what was your reason for hating it? Didn't like the "flowmaster sound" or was it just TOO loud?

I want to weld a 50 series delta flow muffler to my stock b-pipe and I was originally going to buy this one http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=3408 and get two SS tips for it. But now that I've been looking at it longer, I'm starting to wonder if the outlet pipes will be too far apart to look right with 3" or 3.5" tips on them.
No one seems to have much input on my ORIGINAL question. Are the outlet pipes too far apart to put tips on?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:57 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

No one seems to have much input on my ORIGINAL question. Are the outlet pipes too far apart to put tips on?
It appears the tip spacing on the dual tip Flowmaster would be too wide for the exhaust tip cutout so the single outlet/dual tip would probably work better.
First post after yours...
Old 11-22-2007, 10:20 PM
--+--

First post after yours...
Ya I saw yours... thats why I said : No one seems to have MUCH input. but ya thanks. I kina agree with you. I just thinks it looks cheap to have a single outlet muffler and have a dual outlet tip welded on. Maybe 'rice' is the word I'm looking for instead of cheap. FTL
Old 11-22-2007, 10:31 PM

Ya I saw yours... thats why I said : No one seems to have MUCH input. but ya thanks. I kina agree with you. I just thinks it looks cheap to have a single outlet muffler and have a dual outlet tip welded on. Maybe 'rice' is the word I'm looking for instead of cheap. FTL
hey now!

you really cant tell mine is like that, unless you really look under the car, maybe the lip helps hide that...

i have seen a max with a 40 series dual outlet with tips and it look BAD, they are way to far apart, it looks best if you have the tips right next to each other, not an inch apart.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:35 PM
--+--

Originally Posted by 01Max20thAnni
hey now!

you really cant tell mine is like that, unless you really look under the car, maybe the lip helps hide that...

i have seen a max with a 40 series dual outlet with tips and it look BAD, they are way to far apart, it looks best if you have the tips right next to each other, not an inch apart.
Ok that is exactly what I was looking for. And yes your rear lip helps tremendously! I don't have a lip kit and I have a very mild drop so the backside of the muffler is EXPOSED! lol.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:30 AM
Banned

no it wasn't loud but that was when i only had a cat back and not a y pipe. it just sounded...wrong. not the sound i was going for i guess is the best way to explain it...not ricey just not good sounding to me.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:52 AM

so what if you get a dual outlet flowmaster and get a shop to cut 2 oversized pipes, say 3" ..

and tack weld them in the middle to make them close together looking like a tip, then ..

weld that onto the dual outlets so as to make the dual tips look bigger and closer together..

hard to explain but imagine (O )( O) where the smaller inner circles are the dual outlets from the muffler itslef and the larger circles depicted as the parenthesis are the 3" dual tips tacked together..

where the smaller actual muffler outlets are attched to the larger diameter made dual tip by the outter edges..

and if your worried about seeing double tips, then you can try painting the actual muffler tips flat black and polish the made tip..

its an idea and its not like anyone will be bending down all the time to see just the muffler itself.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:48 PM
--+--

so what if you get a dual outlet flowmaster and get a shop to cut 2 oversized pipes, say 3" ..

and tack weld them in the middle to make them close together looking like a tip, then ..

weld that onto the dual outlets so as to make the dual tips look bigger and closer together..

hard to explain but imagine (O )( O) where the smaller inner circles are the dual outlets from the muffler itslef and the larger circles depicted as the parenthesis are the 3" dual tips tacked together..

where the smaller actual muffler outlets are attched to the larger diameter made dual tip by the outter edges..

and if your worried about seeing double tips, then you can try painting the actual muffler tips flat black and polish the made tip..

its an idea and its not like anyone will be bending down all the time to see just the muffler itself.
Yeah actually I was thinking of doing something like this. The two outlet pipes are 2" and I want 3" tips. Most tips come with a reducer on the end so the the 3" tip will fit a 2 or 2.5" tailpipe. I could cut off the reducer part and weld the tip on off center towards the middle on each side. Basically what you said. I'll have to research it out some more tho...
Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SoonerFan

I have a 03 maxima with 2.5' straight pipe and flow master exhaust n it sounds MEAN