5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

NEED OPINIONS and ideas on getting a manual tranny off my auto warranty.. PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 09:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

NEED OPINIONS and ideas on getting a manual tranny off my auto warranty.. PLEASE READ

Okay here is the deal.. if you read my earlier post the car went to nissan today and the transmission was deemed in need of replacing but through proceedure they had to do a tranny flush today and wait a week to do the swap off my transmission through the warranty that I have on it.

With help from others this is my idea.. tell me what you think.

I will go to Nissan tomorrow and talk to the transmission technician i talked to today. Tell him that they would get the NEW auto tranny to swap mine out, but instead of swapping mine out they would give me a Manual tranny and all the parts to do a conversion to 5 speed.

I would put down say a fee for the parts and when the install was finished on the manual tranny I would bring back the bad auto tranny in my car now and they would send it out, saying that they did the swap. They would get a new auto tranny out of it, and not have to do any labor.. saving them money in the long run because the auto tranny and parts is worth much more than the manual tranny and parts.

The tranny technician was a really cool guy and was into my car and we talked for awhile just on car stuff while my paperwork was done, so I am curious if this could be pulled off, the only thing is if they would give me the manual tranny and parts and void the warranty and they would be okay with it..

help me out with other ideas or comments or suggestions..

-jason
Old 10-24-2001, 09:43 PM

seriously...i HIGHLY doubt it...i dont think a dealer would want to get caught up in that.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:21 PM

No
Old 10-24-2001, 10:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well I know for a fact that this IDEA of yours if not going to work. First off, it will void the warranty with Nissan. Reason being is that the VIN number shows all the info on this car, a MAJOR mod like that is not going to be honored by warranty nor will NISSAN even go along with it.

This will require some more parts than you think, I mean you will need a new console, shift ****, new ECU, new Speedometer(since it shows the auto idicators)

This could cost in excess of $2000 ON TOP of the Manual Tranny. "IF" they went along with it.

Dixit
Old 10-25-2001, 05:14 AM
Got Bent?

I doubt they would do it so easily...
Old 10-25-2001, 05:43 AM

With the problems that some people have had in the past with Nissan Service I doubt they would do that type of a swap. Your orignal warranty covers your original equipment and under that agreement Nissan would replace like for like parts. The only way I could see this working is if it was a Nissan wide change in policy to swap all auto trannys with 5spd trannys for cars with tranny issues. If that was the case all us auto tranny guys would be doing neutral drops.

In my opinion the only way you'll be able to get a 5spd is if you buy the parts yourself and get them installed. Just my .02
Old 10-25-2001, 06:19 AM

well my friend w/ a 4th gen's tranny just died...he talked to the dealership about the same thing and they wanted $1400 for the extra parts or whatever...he decided not to do it even though i tried to convince him because he just maxed out his credit card buying 18s, airbags, pioneer tv screen w/ ps2 and some other stereo stuff...o well, to each his own, but i'd do it in a second for that price...i'll try to talk to him later and ask what dealership...i know he lives in florida though
Old 10-25-2001, 10:04 AM

I was thinking about doing the same thing if\when my tranny breaks. Like everyone else said, I seriously doubt a Nissan service manager will agree to it for legal and warranty issues. I'm hoping I can find a dealer who will do the swap.

One other thing, your comprehensive insurance might cover the transmission on top of the Nissan warranty. If your insurance covers it, you don't have to have the work done at a dealer, so you might be able to find a friendly shop who will do the swap.
Old 10-26-2001, 08:32 PM

I myself have an autotragic and long for the power of a standard..I considerd a swap and found out it would be a GRIP!!!! I just faced reality and now I look forward to gettin a standard in 2 or 3 years.. But Id DEFINITLY ask the dealer(s) if this would be possible and how much..who knows you might be the first. good luck!
Old 10-26-2001, 09:10 PM

ask them if you could trade it in for 2k2. Once the original tranny is changed, your car will never be the same.