5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is anyone else totally disatisfied with their Maxi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:42 AM

Is anyone else totally disatisfied with their Maxi?

Before anyone flames me here, I am just wondering if anyone else has had a really negative experience when it comes to their Maxima ownership.

I have an 02 SE which I have had sine the car was almost new. It now has 125000 KMs on it. And I must say that it has been notghing but trouble. So far I have had the following done on the car:

1) All of the windows and sunroof leak air. Even when the car was under warranty the dealer used to charge me for adjusting the sunroof. I have to literally turn the radio up to hear the local sports talk show.

2) O2 sensors. This is a well known TSB with Nissan, but even though it is, the dealer still charged me to "diagnose" the problem, upgrade the ECU software and change 2 O2 sensors.

3) I have had the change the brakes in all 4 corners twice so far.

4) ABS sensors are gone and have to be replaced.

5) Evaporator system leak

6) On separate occasions the rear section of the exhaust and the middle section of the exhaust rusted and were replaced

7) GM like exhaust rattle from the front of the car

8) Ticking noise, replated to wheel bearing failure heard when negotiating turns

9) Power window swich for rear right window does not work for pulling window up

10) Intermittently the heated steering wheel does not work.

11) My car is supposed to be equipped with Limited slip, but I will be damned if it works, or is there.

I am getting rid of this car in the next few weeks, but was curious to know if most people were happy or not. Is this typical of Nissan, or did I get a Lemon made by monkeys?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:56 AM

Every car has its quirks but it sounds like you got a lemon
Old 01-15-2008, 12:00 PM

+1 u got a lemon

My only complain is the mpg. automagic ftl
Old 01-15-2008, 12:06 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by rezadue

1) All of the windows and sunroof leak air. Even when the car was under warranty the dealer used to charge me for adjusting the sunroof. I have to literally turn the radio up to hear the local sports talk show.
there are VERY easy fixes to this issue here. Taking your car to the dealer for simple fixes virtually ensures that they will NOT be fixed correctly

2) O2 sensors. This is a well known TSB with Nissan, but even though it is, the dealer still charged me to "diagnose" the problem, upgrade the ECU software and change 2 O2 sensors.
135,000 MILES and I've only had 1 02 go bad, personally. Again though, going to the dealer for easy things like O2 sensors will ensure that you overpay.

125k km = about 70k miles. I don't see why brake pads should only last you 35k miles each set, unless you really ride them. But I mean, OEM replacement pads at the local auto store should cost less than $100, so what's the big deal?

says who?

says who?

6) On separate occasions the rear section of the exhaust and the middle section of the exhaust rusted and were replaced
since you're speaking in km, I'm guessing you're in Canada. Most cars have non-stainless exhaust which will rust after that many miles in road salt conditions, etc. I've had two Honda/Acuras and neither stock exhaust lasted more than 50k miles.

it's a heat shield. Common problem that takes 2 minutes to fix.

8) Ticking noise, replated to wheel bearing failure heard when negotiating turns
CV joint gone bad. Not uncommon for a FWD car with that kind of miles, especially in areas with harsh winters. Probably not related to wheel bearing. They don't "tick" they "whirr."

loose connection, faulty switch. who needs the right rear window anyhow? On our 2000 Jetta the window motors went bad something like 5 times in 2 years. Consider yourself lucky.

sounds like a loose connection, again.

11) My car is supposed to be equipped with Limited slip, but I will be damned if it works, or is there.
who told you it was equipped with one, and what makes you think it isn't there?

I am getting rid of this car in the next few weeks, but was curious to know if most people were happy or not. Is this typical of Nissan, or did I get a Lemon made by monkeys?
Sounds more like your dealer is taking poor care of you, which is not uncommon for Nissan. I don't see anything you've posted really that looks all that crazy for a 7-year-old car, honestly.

Anyhow, good luck....

btw, yes I've had issues with my maxima as well, but no more than my Honda Accord, Acura Integra, or any othr car I've owned.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow you have really high expectations for your car (and rightfully so). Although with the Max and other cars like it with this many features you need to really set the proper expectation going in that there will be issues (more features in a car the more that can go wrong). All of these items (except the ABS) could be expected in the lifetime of a car with 125K on it.

If want a car that is truly "matinance free" you need to get a smaller less expensive car (think Civic, or Corolla). Stay away from any luxury (even Lexus) or V-6+ model cars.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:51 PM

or just take the bus
Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 PM

No.

Look at the following brotha.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 PM

you want to role like a big dog you have to be ready to dish out money like one if needed.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BMWHIGH1
you want to role like a big dog you have to be ready to dish out money like one if needed.
Since when is a Maxima a "big dog" car?

Old 01-15-2008, 01:31 PM

<---

Your problems sound higher than averaged. If the dealer wasn't going to back you up on some of the frequent repairs you should've just traded it for another.
<----maybe its not a good time to mention those 5.5's tend to consume oil?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by RacerX1320
<----maybe its not a good time to mention those 5.5's tend to consume oil?
Some do some don't its a hit or miss from what ive read. People who granny drive there cars burn oil or vice versa. People who beat the hell out of it dont burn oil.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:26 PM

don't have any of the problems on my max its a 2001 has 132,xxx and runs like a dream,
Old 01-15-2008, 02:48 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

I've always been happy with my Maxima's.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:00 PM

I am extremely happy with the maximas I have had.
cars...are money pits....if you dont like spendin money on cars...dont get such a nice car like a maxima.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:03 PM
retired moderator

things in Canada are never as good as the same things in the USA
Old 01-15-2008, 03:14 PM
I R The Law

I love my car
Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I don't have any issues then the typical 8 year old car. only 1 o2 bad and i just bought o2 sim to fix that, MAF went bad fixed, coilpacks went bad fixed. Some cars just have more problems then others, depends on the owner and how it was taken care of during its life, not saying your a bad owner but it just happens. If your not happy then get a different car, you may find that it will have the same issues in 8 years or not. Best of luck my friend
Old 01-15-2008, 03:18 PM

Maybe in the 35k before I got it, the lady before me babied it cause I don't. An it stays golden between changes, first car I've ever had to do that.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:21 PM

ive had no problems other than my abusive driving habits that have destroied 3 auto tranny's! as fo the oil burn, ive had no problems with that, besides, when i change my oil i can put 4qt of oil in and my dip stic is completly covered!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:38 PM

He probly just got a bad egg. Just try another one man. They're still good cars, sucks the dealer didn't back you up on it though was still in warranty.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:48 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Sounds like you just got a bad one and have a crappy dealer to boot.

If you are looking for a non-Maxima replacement (and I am sure you are), you'd probably be happiest with something like an Acura TL. Then go by the Nissan dealer and let them know due to their crappy service, you bought a different brand car. If everyone who got shafted by car dealers would do that, maybe they'd realized they need to take care of their customers better.

Eh...probably not.

Last edited by Scottwax; 01-15-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:58 PM
kvg

do you live in ontario? it's a car things happen at least it doesn't break down!
Old 01-15-2008, 04:06 PM

Most of those problems are known maxima problems but not all on the same car.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by brusk
Most of those problems are known maxima problems but not all on the same car.
The "known" problems are probably o2 and a few rattles. ABS, wind leak, bad window motor, and all 4 bad brakes? I doubt it. As far as rusting goes... it just depends on where you live.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Should note though for me this is my first maxima and it will be my last for the time being, I don't like where the maxima is going.

Its back to Mercedes and/or BMW for me
Old 01-15-2008, 04:46 PM

I would also like to say i have not had much luck with mine either. Oil consumption, rattle from engine during cold start, sunroof works intermitantly, replaced all shocks and struts, 3rd gear crunch in 6 speed, and the dreaded Bose CD player. My car only has 67,000 miles on it. I had a 98 Maxima a few years ago and loved it. After having this one i dont think ill be buying another. It will be either Acura or Lexus for me.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

I vote for go buy a Taurus.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:59 PM
L.M.L.

Originally Posted by SilMax00
Should note though for me this is my first maxima and it will be my last for the time being, I don't like where the maxima is going.

Its back to Mercedes and/or BMW for me
good luck with that
on my bmw cat converter is welded into b-pipe, irregular shape of piping prevents it from being cut out/revelded, it goes for $470 (aftermarket) or $1100 oem and that's for 10-years old car. track pipes instead of cat solution for that car is around $950. On my maxima - $50 test pipe, 4 nuts that hold the cat in place, 15 minutes to replace it. a bmw again? no, thanks. i'm staying with nissan.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by mtrai760
No SHO???
Old 01-15-2008, 05:08 PM

Next Time Buy Spend twice as much and buy a MB or BMW if your expectations are that high. But if you are like most on this forum you smile at small OE failures and take them as an excuse to "Upgrade"
Old 01-15-2008, 05:26 PM

Before anyone flames me here, I am just wondering if anyone else has had a really negative experience when it comes to their Maxima ownership.

I have an 02 SE which I have had sine the car was almost new. It now has 125000 KMs on it. And I must say that it has been notghing but trouble. So far I have had the following done on the car:

replacing all 4 breaks twice sounds like a driving habit.

the exhaust sounds like you live in a snowy area.

the heated steering wheel doesn't come on whenever you turn it on. it powers up and down. don't know if you knew that, but its in the owners manual.

and your lsd, it seems like you haven't checked to see if it worked seeing as you took it to the dealership for everything. if you're supposed to have it, it should be working.... if you haven't check it out, i don't think you should add it to the list.
the list you mentioned doesn't seem that bad to me, but i bought mine used for cheap. im a DIY kinda guy when i can so it saves me money. but looks like you're looking for a no nonsense kinda car with no bs problems. but all cars have their problems. i say go with toyota for reliability and honest warranty.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Pointy Elbows

No major problems here.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Since when is a Maxima a "big dog" car?

have pride in your car dangit!!

Old 01-15-2008, 06:05 PM

i think you might have a lemon. i have an 03 with 65k and only thing ive replaced do far was one wheel bearing. and new exhaust since it rusted.other stuff like replacing bose and sunroof fix was done under warranty. my abs light just came on but that was actually my fault. so far it hasnt been giving me much problems.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:05 PM

Sucks that has all happened. I was really happy with my 3.0 didnt really have any issues and got rid of her at 112k miles.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by mtrai760
That is what i traded in on my Maxima. And yes, it was a SHO. That car had even bigger problems than the Maxima does.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Suspension Yoda

I highly doubt the car is a lemon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_%28automobile%29

Just sounds like you've got the bad end of the stick. You're experiencing many of the common issues all Maximas experience, and being in Canada with a harsh climate, it only makes sense. I wouldn't complain unless you had very odd or unexpected or large problem with the car.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 13sFTMFW
ive had no problems other than my abusive driving habits that have destroied 3 auto tranny's! as fo the oil burn, ive had no problems with that, besides, when i change my oil i can put 4qt of oil in and my dip stic is completly covered!
maybe its time 4 a stick 1 buddy
Old 01-15-2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
things in Canada are never as good as the same things in the USA
That is just an understatement. Their all based off the same model and canadians use the same style driving as us so the car is made identical except for some interior peices.

And for the question w the car it should of been address earlier when you bought the car it would of been considered a lemon
Old 01-15-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Psyfa
have pride in your car dangit!!

This is getting into the "big dog" arena...

Last edited by upstatemax; 01-15-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Is anyone else totally disatisfied with their Maxi?